Better To Be Safe Than Sorry

by Courtney on August 27, 2011

Jay and I are totally ninja kicking our to-do list today.

All of the pool furniture has been picked up and stored in the shed (I’m hoping it will make its way back out again before then end of summer but I have doubts…).

IMG_7373 (640x480)

All of the patio furniture has either been put in the shed or tied up with rope.

IMG_7374 (640x480)

IMG_7375 (640x480)

I have no idea whether or not we’re overreacting or not, but when I see radar pictures of the size of this beast, then I’d rather be safe than sorry! Disappointed smile

irenesource

Once we finished up outside, we tag-teamed some chores and got the house vacuumed, dusted, kitchen swept & wet-mopped, and bathroom cleaned.

At least now we’ll be able to be cooped up in a clean house tomorrow. Winking smile

On top of our chores, I also found some time to squeeze in a workout, in the form of this treadmill routine. It’s always a butt-kicker…in a good way, of course.

I re-fueled with some coconut water that I was sent to try out from GNC. It was good, but not great. I drank probably half of the bottle and am saving the rest for another time.

IMG_7372 (640x480)

I also put together a cereal combo bowl complete with Quaker Oatmeal Squares, Kashi Go Lean Crunch, strawberries and unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

IMG_7378 (640x480)

Delicious way to re-fuel from a workout, if you ask me.

IMG_7379 (640x480)

Last (but certainly not least), I finished up the batch of brownies that I’m bringing to the party today. Oh gosh, I am wicked excited to dig into these.

IMG_7381 (640x480)

I got the recipe for these Traditional Brownie Goody Bars off the back of the Betty Crocker brownie mix box that I had (one of the few desserts that I barely ever bake from scratch). I followed the recipe pretty closely, except I omitted the peanuts and used my own vanilla buttercream for the frosting layer.

I’m pretty sure that these should be illegal…and I haven’t even taken a bite of one yet.

Hopefully, my favorite girls and their guys will enjoy them today!

Catch ya later! (And if you’re in Irene’s path at all today, please please PLEASE be extra safe out there.)

Question for the Afternoon:

What desserts do you like to make from scratch? What ones do you like to make from a box mix?

1 Meari August 27, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I’m currently sitting in my house, waiting for the power to turn off. We’re about 4 hours away from the eye passing, but everything going ok.

2 Khushboo August 27, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Call me crazy but where cake is concerned, I actually prefer boxed mixes- Betty and I are like THIS ;)
Khushboo recently posted..STRESSED = DESSERTS backwards

3 Sweet and Savvy August 27, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I definitley love using cake mixes! I alter the directions some, of course, but thank goodness for betty crocker on that part! :)

Cookies, though, are totallyyy best from scratch!
Sweet and Savvy recently posted..16 Weird Random Facts

4 Maria@La_Piattini August 27, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I’ve made those before and they are soooooooo dangerously good! Everyone will love them and eat them up!
Maria@La_Piattini recently posted..Come on “Irene”

5 Stephanie August 27, 2011 at 4:13 pm

You definitely aren’t overreacting, good job preparing! We are getting it MUCH worse in Richmond than they predicted, currently over 200,000 people without power and winds up to 55+ are gusting, trees down all over the place. We are actually getting the worst in the state right now and that was nothing like they were saying would happen just yesterday. So yes, better safe than sorry! At least you have those delicious looking brownies to get you through Irene! :)
Stephanie recently posted..Garlic Shrimp Review & Hurricane Weekend

6 Lindsey August 27, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Cookies and muffins from scratch always! Cakes usually boxed – my least favorite item to bake and cupcakes is half and half I would say!
Lindsey recently posted..Leaving On a Jet Plane

7 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries August 27, 2011 at 4:34 pm

oh.my.goodness. Those brownies look heavenly! I don’t think I’d have any self control to wait on eating those. ;)

Cookies, in my opinion, are always better from scratch. I don’t mind cupcakes, cake, and sometimes muffins (depends on the brand/kind) from a box.
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Tackling Our “To-Do List”

8 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles August 27, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Those are SO dangerous, I huge pile of deliciousness in each piece of those! :) Always better safe than sorry, hope you all stay super safe and have a wonderful evening!!! :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..First day of 3rd Grade!

9 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 27, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I did the same thing today, tied up our outdoor furniture and cleaned the house! There’s nothing worse than being stuck inside a dirty house all day!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..I gave in

10 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 27, 2011 at 5:03 pm

I like making cookies from scratch, but I’ll happily serve up some “break-and-bake” every now & then! ;-)
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Farmers Market Finds

11 Faith @ For the Health of It August 27, 2011 at 5:05 pm

I like to make most of my sweets from scratch, but I will always have a soft spot for betty crocker’s brownie mix. I love to just eat it raw (awful I know!!!)
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Miami Dolphins Challenge: Baked Yucca with Black Beans and Sofrito

12 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 27, 2011 at 5:24 pm

You’re right, definitely better to be safe than sorry! Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Taking time

13 Laurie August 27, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Um, the Brownie Goody Bars are AH-mazing!! My family has made them many, many times! You will not regret making them – well, you might regret not making a second pan after the first one is gone in a flash! :)

14 Mallory @ It's Only Life August 27, 2011 at 6:12 pm

to me, vanilla cake always tastes better from a box. probably just because i don’t have a good recipe! i love homemade choc chip cookies tho~!!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Last Night + First Day

15 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 27, 2011 at 6:44 pm

You’re very smart– you need to be safe just in case that beastly looking Irene does turn out to be a monster!

But enjoy your party tonight, regardless
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Pizza Baby

16 Tracy @ Tracy's Treats August 27, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Stay safe during the storm!!

I like to make cookies from scratch but since I’m an amateur baker, I only make cakes from the box..with a few tweaks here and there ;-)
Tracy @ Tracy’s Treats recently posted..To Pulp or Not to Pulp…

17 Rebecca August 27, 2011 at 8:58 pm

They do look sinful. I love making bar recipes, cookies and dessertish breads. I can’t remember the last time I used a mix, I always make things from scratch.
Rebecca recently posted..In the Wake of Irene

18 Liz @ Something To Chew Om August 27, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Your desserts kick butt! I get SERIOUS envy on a regular basis from you – those brownies are no exception ;)
Liz @ Something To Chew Om recently posted..An Apology

19 Charlie August 27, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I like box mix desserts but never use them when I bake. But give me some chocolate cake from a box and I’ll eat it ;).

oh and I lied… I do make jello and pudding from a box :P. lol
Charlie recently posted..Raspberry Cinnamon Rolls with Lemon Frosting

20 Sarah @ Food and Love Diaries August 27, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Ughhh Irene is about to smack into us in NYC. This no subway nonsense is really irritating me!

21 Sasha August 28, 2011 at 12:23 am

I’ve made these brownies multiple times (by popular demand), and they are INCREDIBLE. With chocolate and peanut butter, how can you go wrong? You’ll love them I promise :)

22 Candice August 28, 2011 at 12:25 am

I hope everything is okay!! Hunker down! And be safe!!!

23 Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) August 28, 2011 at 12:56 am

Those brownies look down right deadly…in a good way of course! :)

24 Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 28, 2011 at 8:09 am

I like to make most desserts from scratch … especially cookies. But sometimes, using a boxed mix for cakes or brownies works, too. Personally, I just like going from scratch because I feel like it’s cheaper! I always have a big bag of sugar and flour in the cupboard, along with other spices and such. So I usually only have to buy a couple of things to make a recipe. :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Grown-Up Grilled Cheese.

25 Katie @ Plates and Paste August 28, 2011 at 10:22 pm

The BEST chocolate chip cookies are the ones made from the recipe on the back of a ghiradehli chocolate chip bag. I rarely ever make mixes…I like knowing exactly what goes into my food so prefer scratch :)
Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..KitchenBar

26 albuquerque electrician September 25, 2013 at 1:40 am

Woah this website is wonderful i like studying your site content. Remain inside the great! You recognize, many men and women want around due to this data, it is possible to assist these folks drastically.