Not Enough Words

by Courtney on September 12, 2011

I am completely and utterly in LOVE with the lunch I consumed today. There really just are not enough words.

A little over a week ago, I ended up buying a package of Trans-Ocean Crab Classic on a whim, after seeing that it was on sale. When I checked in on it last night, I noticed that the expiration date was fast approaching and figured I should get to work on it.

Well, the back of the package hit the nail on the head when I saw a recipe for a crabmeat and mozzarella omelet. Really? REALLY?

So here’s what went into my omelet:

• 3/4 cup Egg Beaters
  • 1/3 cup crabmeat (I know it’s not technically “real” crabmeat…)
  • ~1 tbsp part-skim shredded mozzarella & Monterey Jack blend cheese
  • <1/4 cup diced red onions and red pepper
  • salt and pepper

I honestly never thought I could love crabmeat crab-flavored seafood so much. I mean, seriously…this omelet was just fantastic. Has anyone else ever tried this combo?? Amazing, I tell you!

I served some mixed greens alongside my omelet, sprinkled with the rest of my peppers and onions and a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette. So, so good.

But while we’re on the subject of omelets, I need to ask you all a little question…

How do YOU spell omelet? Omelet or omelette?

I honestly just keep using “omelet” because that’s what Windows Live Writer seems to tell me is correct, but I’ve seen it written both ways and am never quite sure…?

*****

Time to go get my study on!

Questions for the Afternoon:

Omelet or omelette?

Favorite type of seafood (if any)?

1 Lindsey September 12, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Omelette? haha. Not sure!?
That does sound good and I have crab “meat” I need to use up – the fake stuff too!
I love shrimp or tilapia the most I think.

2 Debbie (accidently delish) September 12, 2011 at 1:37 pm

i actually made my first omelet (this is how spell check told me to spell it) for breakfast today! i failed miserably. haha. it tasted good, but was not nearly as pretty as yours <3

3 Krissie J September 12, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I use Windows Live Writer as well and have gotten used to spelling it omelet. I haven’t gotten the Crab Classic stuff in a while, but it’s great for adding seafood to a pasta dish as well (I tossed mine in a little butter to flavor, then added it with pesto sauce). Favorite seafood is seared tuna. As in, toss it on the grill to make the outside just turn color and then take it off. Mmmm. Second to that are steamed Maryland crabs. I could destroy some of those right about now.
Krissie J recently posted..Rise and Run

4 Samantha @ Because I Can September 12, 2011 at 1:42 pm

OH crud, I had a funny response and I lost it.

I use omelet – just because it’s easier to remember. I can never remember how many m’s and t’s and l’s are in omelette (Google Chrome is telling me that’s wrong too…).

My fave seafood is little neck clams – mmmm I can eat them raw with horseradish or hot sauce, or steamed with drawn butter OMG.

5 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers September 12, 2011 at 1:46 pm

post yoga, it’s always ommmmmmmmmmm-let.

And my favorite seafood (so far!! just dipping my toes into the vast ocean of options as a seafood newbie) has to be blackened mahi mahi. Always a treat, I had it for dinner last night and lunch today. One mahi for each!
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Six Pack Sunday: The Calm Before the Storm

6 Faith September 12, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I’ve seen it spelled both ways too. I use omelet.

I don’t really do seafood. Maybe it’s because I grew up in the land of beef and cattle but I’ve never really developed a taste for it. I have been able to eat fresh trout and some other clean tasting white-fleshed fish, but it’s never my preference. One regret I do have though – we honeymooned in Bar Harbor, Maine and DIDN’T eat fresh Maine lobster. I just didn’t want to spend the money on something I was pretty sure I wouldn’t like so we didn’t…regret it now…if only for the experience.
Faith recently posted..Breakfast Triumph and DIY Detergents (I’ve Been a Busy Girl)

7 Kelly @ Not So Rocky Road September 12, 2011 at 1:51 pm

The first question just took me by surprise now I don’t know which one I normally use. Guess I don’t spell it out often enough to know lol. Definitely a lover of crab!! Had the best crab quiche ever when I was on my honeymoon in July!
Kelly @ Not So Rocky Road recently posted..Soup, Soup Ba Doup

8 Brynne September 12, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I usually spell it omelet but always want to be fancy with the extra t and e. For some reason I think that’s the French way of spelling it so it could be right either way. Shrimp is definitely my favorite seafood!
Brynne recently posted..Don’t Call It a Comeback

9 Brittany @ Life of a Bama Girl September 12, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I have always spelled it omelet. Your crab omlete looks so good! I love steamed crab legs, shrimp, fish, lobster, crab almost all seafood. There are several things I don’t like and I’m kind of picky of how it’s cooked.
Brittany @ Life of a Bama Girl recently posted..Game Day

10 Kelly September 12, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I think my favorite fish of all time is Orange Ruffy but it is high in Mercury so they say that you only eat it once or twice a month. :(
Kelly recently posted..i remember

11 Claire September 12, 2011 at 2:30 pm

PLEASE come cook for me, Court! I am in love with your lunch, too.

Fav seafood? Crabcakes! For a “healthy” seafood I usually go salmon alllll the way!
Claire recently posted..Vintage Dress

12 Melissa September 12, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I have no idea how I usually spell it! I guess I must not type that word all that often???

I love imitation crab meat. I used to make crab salad sandwiches a lot when I was younger, but somehow I lost track of that. My favorite seafood is (REAL) king crab, but scallops are a close second. Honestly, there’s not much seafood I don’t like!
Melissa recently posted..Monday Randomness

13 Vanessa N September 12, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I spell it “omelet” and don’t think I’ve ever seen it the other way. Favorite seafood: definitely scallops! Love them!
Vanessa N recently posted..The Vacation is Over

14 Tara Deal September 12, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I am really not a big omelet fan…not quite sure why because I think eggs are great, but I absolutely adore crab meat real and imitation :)
Tara Deal recently posted..Pigeon

15 Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) September 12, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Omlette! :D crazy windows live ;)

I hate all seafood. Except breaded fish haha… I’m fussy.
Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) recently posted..Cut Yourself Some Slack

16 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 12, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Ohh that does sound delicious! I go with the first spelling usually but I’ve seen it both ways. Omelette seems too fancy for me!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Sunday fun day

17 Hope September 12, 2011 at 3:21 pm

That omelette looks delicious! I tihnk I use omelette because I took so many years of French class that it just looks right to me. :)

I’m very picky with seafood. I only like shrimp, crab, lobster tail, scallops, clams and smoked salmon.
Hope recently posted..Fall TV Excitement…

18 Kristen @ notsodomesticated September 12, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Yum!! Sounds delicious!! I love crab, shrimp, and lobster … but I don’t think I’ve ever had any of those things in an omelette before.

And I guess I spell it “omelette” … honestly, I think I have to look it up every time I write it haha!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Birthdays last a week, right?

19 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries September 12, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I spell it omelet… I guess I’ve seen it spelled both ways, but I never really thought about it until now! Your omelet looks AMAZING by the way! What a perfect combo. My favorite seafood is probably shrimp or salmon!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Personal Questions Part II

20 Sylvia @Frolic Through Life September 12, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I always spelled it omelet but I’ve seen it the other way too. My fav seafood is definitely crap. I had a seafood packed weekend this weekend because I took a trip to Boston. I enjoyed a lot of clam chowder and crab cakes!
Sylvia @Frolic Through Life recently posted..Boston Birthday

21 Shari @ The Daily Dish September 12, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I’m not sure which way is correct. I think I usually do omelet, but omelette seems just as right however it always come up as spelled incorrectly. Not sure.
Shari @ The Daily Dish recently posted..Weekend Recap

22 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 12, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I think I usually spell it omelet!

I looove lobster & scallops!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Product Review: Love Grown

23 Brittany September 12, 2011 at 4:21 pm

That looks delicious! I’ve never thought to put crab meat in an omelet. I think that’s how I spell it? haha
I love almost all seafood but I definitely love salmon and tilapia a lot.

24 Sam September 12, 2011 at 4:26 pm

This is what I found:
“For the dish consisting of beaten eggs cooked until set and folded over, Australian, British, and Canadian writers prefer the French spelling, omelette. American writers prefer omelet by a wide margin, and U.S. dictionaries and usage guides concur.”

25 Danica @ It's Progression Not Perfection September 12, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I always write omelet, and to be completely honest, I’ve never seen it written the other way!
Crab cakes are my favorite way to eat seafood : )
Danica @ It’s Progression Not Perfection recently posted..kevin & kristi’s wedding

26 Lee @ in the pink of condition September 12, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I love crab, and also imitation crab meat too! I love seafood in general, but lobster has to be my favorite :-)

I usually spell it the french way, omelette, but either spelling is perfectly ok and correct.
Lee @ in the pink of condition recently posted..Dealing with loss

27 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 12, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Umm.. this is like straight out of gourmet chef central! Look at you, Courtney! Busting out the big guns
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Quick & Painless

28 Erica September 12, 2011 at 5:55 pm

i use omelet.

i love crab, salmon, ahi, and lobster!!!
{totally not a fan of oysters!}
Erica recently posted..wedding week recap: the day before the big day

29 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles September 12, 2011 at 6:21 pm

This idea is truly AMAZING!!!! How has this thought never crossed my mind?!?!?
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Prayers & Love

30 Jodi September 12, 2011 at 7:03 pm

I always spell it omelet because it’s easier.

And this omelet looks like it was made for me. Wonderful combo!

31 Sarah @ Food and Love Diaries September 12, 2011 at 7:09 pm

That’s such a funny question because just today I was seeing a client and this came up. He orders a special kind of omelet from a delivery service, and I was looking it up on the internet to find the nutritionals… it kept auto correcting me!
Sarah @ Food and Love Diaries recently posted..Weekend Recap

32 Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 12, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I’ve had crab omelets just like that before!! SO good!!
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Embarrassing running issues #1: Got trots?

33 Khushboo September 13, 2011 at 12:53 am

That looks fantastic- love crabmeat! I go with both spellings, more of a case of what computer I’m on and what it has programmed!
Khushboo recently posted..Living the dream

34 Carissa September 13, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I’m so jealous of your omelet! I’m out of town with work and have had the worst food! I’m craving REAL food and that crab combo is going to haunt me until I get home!

Yummm!
Carissa recently posted..Dreaming with Weights

35 Amy September 13, 2011 at 4:27 pm

I love seafood. My favorites are salmon, cod(which I’m baking tonight), shrimp, and scallops. I love to get creative with stir frys and sometimes I like to just grill or bake salmon and have it with a sweet potatoe.

36 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats September 13, 2011 at 11:00 pm

I flip flop the ways that I spell omelet it seems like! It just kind of depends on the day! My favorite seafood is any white fish and shrimp.
Abby @ Abz ‘n’ Oats recently posted..Toned Tuesday