More Bang For My Buck

by Courtney on September 13, 2011

Good morning, friends! How’s everyone doing this morning? I’ve been having a rather productive morning myself, starting out with a nice 35-minute treadmill workout.

I did a mash up of inclines and running/walking speeds, honestly not really paying much attention to it. I did cover about 3.2 miles, however, and was a sweaty mess felt great afterward. I think next time, I might try alternating the running and walking intervals of my Pyramid Treadmill workout…that would be fun!

Breakfast

Post-workout, I actually wasn’t all that hungry and it took me a good 30 minutes to actually feel ready to eat. So I sipped on some coffee, did some laundry, and then finally worked up an appetite for a smoothie bowl.

Today’s smoothie bowl was actually the same as my Raspberry Almond Smoothie I had last week, just with the addition of 1/4 tsp xanthan gum (I can’t do much more than that…hurts the tummy) and frozen raspberries in place of fresh; both of which made today’s batch extra thick and creamy. I then added some Quaker Oatmeal Squares + Love Grown Foods Cocoa Goodness granola as finishing touches.

When I made a smoothie bowl last Friday, I had a few of you ask why I decided to make it as a bowl rather than just sip on it like a smoothie. Honestly, I think it really just depends on what kind of mood I’m in, but with the bowl, I almost feel like I’m getting “more bang for my buck.” In other words, it kind of seems like I’m getting more food because I’m eating it, rather than sipping on it. Hopefully that makes some sort of sense. Winking smile

Maybe some of my fellow smoothie bowl fans can weigh in on this one for me?

I almost added a slice of banana raisin pumpkin bread with my smoothie, but I’m actually feeling rather satisfied from this right now, so I’m holding off until mid-morning. I really love spacing out meals anyways…more opportunities to eat. Winking smile

Some Potential Reading Material…

Questions for the Morning:

WOULD YOU RATHER (sorry, we skipped yesterday!)

• Have the ability to erase memories from your mind -OR- erase them from someone else’s mind?
  • Go back to school for a new career on full scholarship –OR- double the pay of the job you’re currently in right now?
  • Overcome your worst fears –OR- outsmart anyone who tries to screw you over?

1 Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews September 13, 2011 at 9:09 am

Yum! I love the color of that smoothie. I’m at the airport right now and am drinking hot, hot coffee in attempts to warm me up. It’s freezing in here.
Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews recently posted..New Twitter Account

2 Blog is the New Black September 13, 2011 at 9:10 am

I used to like the SIAB,too, but now I like to drink it like a milkshake!
Blog is the New Black recently posted..(Almost) Sausalito Cookies

3 Faith @ For the Health of It September 13, 2011 at 9:11 am

I like the smoothie bowls because they let me put cereal, granola, chocolate etc on top – I don’t like sipping on a smoothie and sucking up chunks of mix-ins, so if I want a little more bulk then I go the SIAB route!
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Lost in the Game

4 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 13, 2011 at 9:15 am

I’ve actually never had a smoothie in a bowl before, but I’m a huge smoothie lover. Apparently I’m missing out on all the fun!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..I Need My Salsa

5 Courtney September 13, 2011 at 10:38 am

DOOOO ITTTT!!! ;)

6 Ruthie Hart September 13, 2011 at 9:20 am

seriously you set up your food SO cute! From your cereals to your salads, everything looks so perfectly set up!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..First Thursday

7 Courtney September 13, 2011 at 10:38 am

Thanks, Ruthie!
Btw, I’m going to look for those things you were talking to me about last night on Twitter :)

8 Arimey September 13, 2011 at 9:23 am

Really liked the 8 unhealthy attitudes to shake article too! Thanks for sharing :)

My 2 cents:
1. Erase someone else’s memories. Not only could it help get me out of a bind once in awhile, but there are definitely some people out there who could benefit from forgetting the terrible things that have happened to them.
2. Double the salary of the job I’m currently in. I’ve been on the same path since college, never switched my major, and have only had jobs in this field. I still like it, find it interesting, and still taking classes to learn more about it.
3. Outsmart anyone who tries to screw me over.

9 Meg September 13, 2011 at 9:27 am

I’m a fan of the smoothie bowl! It makes it seem more fun, and almost like eating ice cream for breakfast! I love how you top yours tho, I will have to give that a try!
I would rather:
1. Erase others memories… I don’t want to forget things even the painful things… makes me a stronger person! ANd of course then I am les likely to make the same mistake twice
2. Considering I am in school forever and hoping to get a scholarship to PhD, I will take door number 1!
3. Face my worst fear!
Meg recently posted..So Long Sweet Summer

10 Emmarie @ Bananas And Beer September 13, 2011 at 9:42 am

I love raspberry flavor, but I just can’t get past those dang seeds! I’ve even gone as far as to pulverize an entire bag of frozen ones just so I could strain the seeds out.
I’ve gotta get me some extract!
Emmarie @ Bananas And Beer recently posted..I’m Not a Football Fan

11 Courtney September 13, 2011 at 10:37 am

LOL :-D

12 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 13, 2011 at 9:55 am

If I’m trying to make a smoothie a meal, I eat it out of a bowl too. I think it tricks my brain into thinking of it as a meal rather than a snack.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Crispy shallot brussel sprouts & giveaway winner!

13 Emily September 13, 2011 at 9:55 am

I almost always eat my smoothies in a bowl vs. a cup. I can drink down a smoothie in no time and eating it with a spoon out of a bowl slooooows me down. Plus I feel like I’m really eating something.

1. Let’s erase memories from other people’s mind.
2. Double my pay, please!
3. Overcome my worst fears.
Emily recently posted..Pizza Princess

14 Sweet and Savvy September 13, 2011 at 9:58 am

Thanks For sharing Those articles! The habits One Is really interesting!

15 Courtney September 13, 2011 at 10:36 am

Isn’t it?!? I really, really enjoyed that one.

16 Becky @ Fit Chick on the Fly September 13, 2011 at 10:01 am

I drink smoothies twice a week after my AM workout and I was just telling my bf I think I need to change things up a bit. Smoothie bowl might be the oerfect idea!

1.Erase memories from someone elses mind
2. Go back to school on a full scholarship to pursue a different career!
3.OUtsmart anyone who tries to screw me over. (Caca-roaches are my worst fear and I don’t think I ever want to overcome that!)
Becky @ Fit Chick on the Fly recently posted..Dog Beach Adventures & Missing Teenager

17 Taylor @ Crumbs Don't Count September 13, 2011 at 10:03 am

■Erase them from someone else’s mind–I would REALLY rather be able to READ minds! :)
■Double the pay of the job you’re currently in–Sign me up…that would be a nice Christmas bonus!
■Outsmart anyone who tries to screw you over– I dont really have any HUGE fears…but I AM too trusting a lot of the times
Taylor @ Crumbs Don’t Count recently posted..Black Out Birthday

18 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries September 13, 2011 at 10:06 am

Your smoothie bowl thought makes perfect sense to me. I’ve actually never tried a smoothie BOWL before, so I think I’ll have to give it a shot!

I’d rather be able to erase memories from someone else’s mind. There’s some of my embarrassing moments I wish others could forget! :)
I’d rather have double the pay of the job I have right now. I love my job.
Lastly, I’d rather overcome my fears! I’m working on it… we’ll see if it ever happens. ;)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Dessert EVERY Day of the Week!

19 Courtney September 13, 2011 at 10:35 am

I love hearing people say that they love their job. I can’t wait to be able to say the same! :-D

20 Lindsey September 13, 2011 at 10:09 am

From someone else’s mind. I will keep my memories ;)
Go back to school on a full scholarship for a new career!
Overcome my worst fears!

I also prefer eating smoothies from a bowl because it gives me the feeling I am still eating breakfast versus drinking it from a cup! Mind tricks ;)
Lindsey recently posted..I Love Birthdays

21 Courtney September 13, 2011 at 10:34 am

Gotta love mind tricks! ;)

22 Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 13, 2011 at 10:12 am

Erase other’s. I feel like that would be more useful.

I’m still in school…so I am going to say repeat with a new major because I have no pay to double!

Outsmarting all the way!!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Gorgonzola and Cherry Tomato Pizzettes

23 Jodi September 13, 2011 at 10:17 am

I love spacing out my meals into a higher number of small portions. You get to eat more, and you never have that horrible “stuffed” feeling.

Your smoothie bowl is so pretty today!
Jodi recently posted..Playing with Guns

24 Steph @ A Hungry Bookworm September 13, 2011 at 10:17 am

I always eat my smoothies from a bowl, it really does feel like you get more!
Steph @ A Hungry Bookworm recently posted..Game On

25 Aine @ Something to Chew Over September 13, 2011 at 10:19 am

Such a gorgeous colour!

I actually don’t have smoothies that often as I don’t like drinking my calories – I’d rather chew! Will have to try them in a bowl like this :)
Aine @ Something to Chew Over recently posted..Homemade Latte

26 Khushboo September 13, 2011 at 10:26 am

“Consuming” my smoothie with a spoon is far more satisfying than a straw–> i’m crazy and I know it! Does xanthan gum really upset your tummy? Mine kept me up all night and I couldn’t put my finger on the root…that might just be it!
Khushboo recently posted..Rain, you are dead to me!

27 Courtney September 13, 2011 at 10:33 am

Yes! If I have too much of it, my belly blows up like a balloon. Definitely not good for business!

28 Jillian @ sprinkle massacre September 13, 2011 at 10:32 am

As a smoothie bowl fan, I definitely feel that the only reason I do it is because it feels like you’re eating more! Plus, you can top it off with fun toppings!

29 Angela @ MyPinkyToes September 13, 2011 at 10:32 am

I’m a smoothie in a bowl person because I like to eat my smoothies with a spoon!
Angela @ MyPinkyToes recently posted..Dear Tyra, Let’s Change Body-Type Stigma

30 Melissa September 13, 2011 at 10:32 am

I agree–it’s all about volume with the SIAB. I always put a frozen banana and 2 handfuls of ice cubes in my smoothies (no xantham gum–my tummy can’t do it, either), and it makes them suuuuuper thick. I love how it pretty much doubles in size when you add the ice. Almost like ice cream!
Melissa recently posted..House Hunters—Blog Edition!

31 Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 13, 2011 at 10:43 am

I add xantham gum bc I am a cheater mc cheaterpants.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Mothers are Thieves.

32 Jackie @ Baking Charms September 13, 2011 at 10:44 am

I love smoothie bowls for that same reason! And eating a smoothie doesn’t really hurt my stomach the way drinking a smoothie does.
Jackie @ Baking Charms recently posted..My first duck

33 Debbie (accidently delish) September 13, 2011 at 10:49 am

i’m the exact same way sometimes i just want the smoothie in a bowl. if its thicker for some reason i feel its more satisfying? Also it kind of makes you eat i slower instead of sipping it down in three gulps if it were to be in a glass.

and you cant really add cereals or toppings if its in a glass! to each their own though <333
Debbie (accidently delish) recently posted..By: Sam

34 Katie @ The Purposeful Woman September 13, 2011 at 10:50 am

Way to kick some booty this morning!! :) Your smoothie bowl looks yummy, we had smoothies for dinner last night ;)…have a great Tues!! I would def. go back to school for a new career on full scholarship…R.D. here I come ;)!!!
Katie @ The Purposeful Woman recently posted..Tuesday Fashion Inspiration: Gossip Girl’s Serena

35 Claire September 13, 2011 at 11:05 am

I did the smoothie bowl thang today, too. Mine is in a glass…but you better believe it gets a spoon in it! It does feel like you’re getting more food in my opinion! http://www.navigatingnorth.com/2011/09/pumpkin-for-me.html
Claire recently posted..Pumpkin For Me

36 Brooke @ BittersweetBrooke September 13, 2011 at 11:37 am

I’ve been obsessed with smoothie bowls this summer and I think they will be sticking around this fall and winter! I like eating bowls/cups with cereal for the same reason as Courtney, it lasts longer when eaten with a spoon and I love adding cereal for the extra crunch and carbs.
Brooke @ BittersweetBrooke recently posted..Sometimes I Feel Like A Nut

37 Elizabeth R. September 13, 2011 at 11:52 am

I think you’ve got the wrong link for your Raspberry Almond Smoothie! ;)

38 Courtney September 13, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Crap! I did…thank you SO MUCH for letting me know! It’s all fixed :)

39 Claire N. September 13, 2011 at 11:54 am

Have you ever tried an acai bowl?? Ummmm, amazing. It’s an acai smoothie with fresh berries and granola on top. If you ever get a chance to order one, DO IT!!! You won’t be sorry :)

40 Courtney September 13, 2011 at 12:22 pm

No, I haven’t! I would have no idea where to order one…I’ve never seen it anywhere near me before???

41 Claire September 13, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Well, I live in San Diego, so I’m not sure if they are on the East coast or not…if you have Robek’s out there, they have one (not my favorite though). Or maybe Juice Shack? Or something equivalent? But the best are the non-chain smoothie places. Oh, plus there are chunks of banana in it too…I forgot about that before.

I’ve taken that NASM test btw. It’s killer but I’m sure you will do great!

42 Courtney September 13, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Hmm, I don’t have either of those, but I guess I’ll have to check the next time I’m at a local place!

So you’ve taken the NASM test? Any tips!?! haha…I’m currently on chapter 4 and I’m on muscle overload right now!

43 Claire September 13, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Sure…prob way more than a comment can handle (although I took the test 2 years ago, so I don’t remember every detail). Honestly, there are questions from every chapter…so I took notes on each one and made flashcards etc. But know how things are applied practically. I think I got out of my seat like 4 or 5 times during the test to perform an overhead squat! I was alone, so no one saw me acting ridiculous. I can email you if you need some more specific tips. It’s just too much info, as I’m sure you know!

44 Courtney September 13, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Wow, alright, good to know! Thanks, Claire :)

45 Ally September 13, 2011 at 11:55 am

I really need to get a blender for work.. every single time I want to make a smoothie bowl I’m either out of a main ingredient or at work without a blender :\

I would definitely rather go back to school! I am such a nerd, but I love learning and taking classes, haha. Too bad school costs a fortune..
Ally recently posted..Crazy canines

46 colleen @ thegiftofmondays September 13, 2011 at 12:57 pm

this is what i love about you courtney…i’m always finding new ways to eat my food!!! oatmeal in a jar, cereal combo bowls, and now smoothies in a bowl…i feel like you open up a whole new world for me. now if you could only find a way to make fish taste appealing to me, because i know it’s SOOO good for you, but i absolutely struggle to eat it-except tuna fish out of a can-how weird is that??
colleen @ thegiftofmondays recently posted..i missed a broken soul

47 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 13, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I am a total volume eater, so if I can “feel” like I’m eating more, I’m all for it!!! You’re totally normal. :)
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..balsamic glazed butternut squash fries

48 Laura @ Unchartered 20s September 13, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I love having my smoothies in a bowl! I started out that way because it wouldnt all fit in any cups that I own, and then I kept it up because when it is extra thick and creamy, its almost like eating ice cream. Almost :)
Laura @ Unchartered 20s recently posted..It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Autumn

49 Stellina September 13, 2011 at 1:14 pm

1) I would rather want the abilty to erase memories from my mind (bad ones)
2) I miss school SO much. I would love to go back for something FUN!
3)I would want tovercome my worst fears bc God knows I have WAY too many!!!

I love your blog…don’t often comment but thought you should know :)

50 Lindsay @ biking before bed September 13, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I would definitely go back to school. I love class and homework and school supplies! I totally agree with you on the eating with a spoon bit. I think it’s mental… Drinks don’t fill you up as much as meals do.
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..Feliz Cumpliaños a mi madre

51 Shayla @ The Good Life September 13, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Fellow smoothie bowl fan right here and I can definitely confirm that eating from a bowl definitely gives you “more bang for your buck” than drinking it. Definitely makes me feel like I’m “eating” breakfast than simply just “drinking” it! :)
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..A Week Of Rest, Enjoy The Ride, & An Epic Smoothie

52 Ari @ Ari's Menu September 13, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I will have to try my smoothie in a bowl some day! I usually just add a ton of ice so there is more of it so I feel like I get more food :O)

I’d rather erase from someone else’s mind, double my pay and overcome my fear!
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Skinnified Sunday: Rachael Ray’s Double Bacon Beer Burgers

53 Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled September 13, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I love eating my smoothies out of a bowl or a really massive cup, but I always use a spoon. When I use a straw or sip it, it feels like a drink to me, which is not satisfying (mentally). When I use a spoon it takes a while to eat and it feels like I’m eating a meal which makes it more mentally satisfying. I also like to add mix-ins (peanuts, chunks of fruit, pretzels) because then it feels truly meal-like.
Rosa – Fitness, Food, Fulfilled recently posted..Phoney Funny Business

54 Yolie @ Practising Wellness September 13, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Mmmm…that smoothie in a bowl looks simply scrumptious! :-) I love the vibrant purple colour…it must be so good for you! <3 I MUST make one soon…I must! :-D xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..jumping for joy!

55 Katie @ Plates and Paste September 13, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Erase from someone else’s mind, double the pay, outsmat ;)

56 Natalie September 13, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Smoothies in a bowl are my all time favrorite breakfast, lunch and or dinner! Topped with cereal, granola or freshly baked goods :) I love being able to eat a smoothie like a big bowl of cereal but I like eating things out of a bowl and with a teaspoon.

57 Lizzie September 13, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Yum!! your smoothie looks amazing!
im actually eating one right now :)
Lizzie recently posted..Vegan Eggplant Lasagna

58 Shana September 13, 2011 at 7:11 pm

I know what you mean about the smoothie bowl! Things take on totally different sensory experiences based on what kind of dish you put them in. It’s like drinking wine out of a plastic cup-its just not the same!
Shana recently posted..Fake it ’til you make it

59 Olivia September 20, 2011 at 11:28 pm

I am definitely a fan of the smoothie bowls. It plays a trick on your mind think you are actually eating more than you are. The last time I tried a smoothie in a cup I was hungry an hour later, when a bowl usually lasts me a couple hours…weird how things work!