More Bang For My Buck

Good morning, friends! How’s everyone doing this morning? I’ve been having a rather productive morning myself, starting out with a nice 35-minute treadmill workout.

I did a mash up of inclines and running/walking speeds, honestly not really paying much attention to it. I did cover about 3.2 miles, however, and was a sweaty mess felt great afterward. I think next time, I might try alternating the running and walking intervals of my Pyramid Treadmill workout…that would be fun!

Breakfast

Post-workout, I actually wasn’t all that hungry and it took me a good 30 minutes to actually feel ready to eat. So I sipped on some coffee, did some laundry, and then finally worked up an appetite for a smoothie bowl.

Today’s smoothie bowl was actually the same as my Raspberry Almond Smoothie I had last week, just with the addition of 1/4 tsp xanthan gum (I can’t do much more than that…hurts the tummy) and frozen raspberries in place of fresh; both of which made today’s batch extra thick and creamy. I then added some Quaker Oatmeal Squares + Love Grown Foods Cocoa Goodness granola as finishing touches.

When I made a smoothie bowl last Friday, I had a few of you ask why I decided to make it as a bowl rather than just sip on it like a smoothie. Honestly, I think it really just depends on what kind of mood I’m in, but with the bowl, I almost feel like I’m getting “more bang for my buck.” In other words, it kind of seems like I’m getting more food because I’m eating it, rather than sipping on it. Hopefully that makes some sort of sense. Winking smile

Maybe some of my fellow smoothie bowl fans can weigh in on this one for me?

I almost added a slice of banana raisin pumpkin bread with my smoothie, but I’m actually feeling rather satisfied from this right now, so I’m holding off until mid-morning. I really love spacing out meals anyways…more opportunities to eat. Winking smile

Some Potential Reading Material…

Questions for the Morning:

WOULD YOU RATHER (sorry, we skipped yesterday!)

• Have the ability to erase memories from your mind -OR- erase them from someone else’s mind?
  • Go back to school for a new career on full scholarship –OR- double the pay of the job you’re currently in right now?
  • Overcome your worst fears –OR- outsmart anyone who tries to screw you over?

Comments

1. Arimey says

Really liked the 8 unhealthy attitudes to shake article too! Thanks for sharing :)

My 2 cents:
    1. Erase someone else’s memories. Not only could it help get me out of a bind once in awhile, but there are definitely some people out there who could benefit from forgetting the terrible things that have happened to them.
    2. Double the salary of the job I’m currently in. I’ve been on the same path since college, never switched my major, and have only had jobs in this field. I still like it, find it interesting, and still taking classes to learn more about it.
    3. Outsmart anyone who tries to screw me over.

I’m a fan of the smoothie bowl! It makes it seem more fun, and almost like eating ice cream for breakfast! I love how you top yours tho, I will have to give that a try!
    I would rather:
    1. Erase others memories… I don’t want to forget things even the painful things… makes me a stronger person! ANd of course then I am les likely to make the same mistake twice
    2. Considering I am in school forever and hoping to get a scholarship to PhD, I will take door number 1!
    3. Face my worst fear!
    Meg recently posted..So Long Sweet Summer

I almost always eat my smoothies in a bowl vs. a cup. I can drink down a smoothie in no time and eating it with a spoon out of a bowl slooooows me down. Plus I feel like I’m really eating something.

1. Let’s erase memories from other people’s mind.
    2. Double my pay, please!
    3. Overcome my worst fears.
    Emily recently posted..Pizza Princess

I drink smoothies twice a week after my AM workout and I was just telling my bf I think I need to change things up a bit. Smoothie bowl might be the oerfect idea!

1.Erase memories from someone elses mind
    2. Go back to school on a full scholarship to pursue a different career!
    3.OUtsmart anyone who tries to screw me over. (Caca-roaches are my worst fear and I don’t think I ever want to overcome that!)
    Becky @ Fit Chick on the Fly recently posted..Dog Beach Adventures & Missing Teenager

■Erase them from someone else’s mind–I would REALLY rather be able to READ minds! :)
    ■Double the pay of the job you’re currently in–Sign me up…that would be a nice Christmas bonus!
    ■Outsmart anyone who tries to screw you over– I dont really have any HUGE fears…but I AM too trusting a lot of the times
    Taylor @ Crumbs Don’t Count recently posted..Black Out Birthday

Your smoothie bowl thought makes perfect sense to me. I’ve actually never tried a smoothie BOWL before, so I think I’ll have to give it a shot!

I’d rather be able to erase memories from someone else’s mind. There’s some of my embarrassing moments I wish others could forget! :)
    I’d rather have double the pay of the job I have right now. I love my job.
    Lastly, I’d rather overcome my fears! I’m working on it… we’ll see if it ever happens. 😉
    Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Dessert EVERY Day of the Week!

From someone else’s mind. I will keep my memories 😉
    Go back to school on a full scholarship for a new career!
    Overcome my worst fears!

I also prefer eating smoothies from a bowl because it gives me the feeling I am still eating breakfast versus drinking it from a cup! Mind tricks 😉
    Lindsey recently posted..I Love Birthdays

“Consuming” my smoothie with a spoon is far more satisfying than a straw–> i’m crazy and I know it! Does xanthan gum really upset your tummy? Mine kept me up all night and I couldn’t put my finger on the root…that might just be it!
    Khushboo recently posted..Rain, you are dead to me!

I agree–it’s all about volume with the SIAB. I always put a frozen banana and 2 handfuls of ice cubes in my smoothies (no xantham gum–my tummy can’t do it, either), and it makes them suuuuuper thick. I love how it pretty much doubles in size when you add the ice. Almost like ice cream!
    Melissa recently posted..House Hunters—Blog Edition!

i’m the exact same way sometimes i just want the smoothie in a bowl. if its thicker for some reason i feel its more satisfying? Also it kind of makes you eat i slower instead of sipping it down in three gulps if it were to be in a glass.

and you cant really add cereals or toppings if its in a glass! to each their own though <333
    Debbie (accidently delish) recently posted..By: Sam

11. Claire N. says

Have you ever tried an acai bowl?? Ummmm, amazing. It’s an acai smoothie with fresh berries and granola on top. If you ever get a chance to order one, DO IT!!! You won’t be sorry :)

• Claire says

Well, I live in San Diego, so I’m not sure if they are on the East coast or not…if you have Robek’s out there, they have one (not my favorite though). Or maybe Juice Shack? Or something equivalent? But the best are the non-chain smoothie places. Oh, plus there are chunks of banana in it too…I forgot about that before.

I’ve taken that NASM test btw. It’s killer but I’m sure you will do great!

• Courtney says

Hmm, I don’t have either of those, but I guess I’ll have to check the next time I’m at a local place!

So you’ve taken the NASM test? Any tips!?! haha…I’m currently on chapter 4 and I’m on muscle overload right now!

• Claire says

Sure…prob way more than a comment can handle (although I took the test 2 years ago, so I don’t remember every detail). Honestly, there are questions from every chapter…so I took notes on each one and made flashcards etc. But know how things are applied practically. I think I got out of my seat like 4 or 5 times during the test to perform an overhead squat! I was alone, so no one saw me acting ridiculous. I can email you if you need some more specific tips. It’s just too much info, as I’m sure you know!

I really need to get a blender for work.. every single time I want to make a smoothie bowl I’m either out of a main ingredient or at work without a blender :\

I would definitely rather go back to school! I am such a nerd, but I love learning and taking classes, haha. Too bad school costs a fortune..
    Ally recently posted..Crazy canines

this is what i love about you courtney…i’m always finding new ways to eat my food!!! oatmeal in a jar, cereal combo bowls, and now smoothies in a bowl…i feel like you open up a whole new world for me. now if you could only find a way to make fish taste appealing to me, because i know it’s SOOO good for you, but i absolutely struggle to eat it-except tuna fish out of a can-how weird is that??
    colleen @ thegiftofmondays recently posted..i missed a broken soul

1) I would rather want the abilty to erase memories from my mind (bad ones)
    2) I miss school SO much. I would love to go back for something FUN!
    3)I would want tovercome my worst fears bc God knows I have WAY too many!!!

I love your blog…don’t often comment but thought you should know :)

I love eating my smoothies out of a bowl or a really massive cup, but I always use a spoon. When I use a straw or sip it, it feels like a drink to me, which is not satisfying (mentally). When I use a spoon it takes a while to eat and it feels like I’m eating a meal which makes it more mentally satisfying. I also like to add mix-ins (peanuts, chunks of fruit, pretzels) because then it feels truly meal-like.
    Rosa – Fitness, Food, Fulfilled recently posted..Phoney Funny Business

Smoothies in a bowl are my all time favrorite breakfast, lunch and or dinner! Topped with cereal, granola or freshly baked goods :) I love being able to eat a smoothie like a big bowl of cereal but I like eating things out of a bowl and with a teaspoon.

I am definitely a fan of the smoothie bowls. It plays a trick on your mind think you are actually eating more than you are. The last time I tried a smoothie in a cup I was hungry an hour later, when a bowl usually lasts me a couple hours…weird how things work!