Simple & Tasty Beef Stew

by Courtney on October 10, 2011

Tonight’s dinner was awesome.

Last week, I happened to be rummaging through my recipe binder and came across a recipe I received a couple of years ago from a former co-worker for beef stew.

I’ve only made this stew once, which was actually before I even started blogging, so it’s definitely been a while. Now usually, you guys know that Jay is in charge of cooking red meat, but I decided I’d be super awesome and treat him to some red meat for dinner, without requiring his labor.

He thanked me all during dinner. Smile

This stew recipe really does not get much simpler, honestly. I made a few of my own changes to the original recipe that I had once received, one of which included substituting london broil for the stew meat. London broil happened to be on sale at my grocery store so I figured it couldn’t hurt to just cube that up and use it instead. Turns out, it’s just as tasty of a substitute!

This is a perfect recipe to throw together before heading off to work in the morning and then popping it in the oven as soon as you get home. Plus, if you’re like Jay and I and it’s just two (or one) of you, it makes for plenty of leftovers, which you could freeze; or in our case, incorporate as leftovers for later in the week. (See? I’m always thinkin. Winking smile)

Originally, I attempted to make a loaf of homemade bread from the bread machine, but a typo in the recipe book (I swear, it wasn’t me…I’d admit it) caused that batch to get dumped, quickly. Luckily, Jay stopped on his way home to pick up a fresh loaf of Italian bread to use for dipping into our stew and it was perfect.

Also perfect was the fact that Jay knows me so well and picked up not only the bread, but some delicious goodies, too…

Fudge Fancies for dessert? Yes, please! Smile

Question for the Evening:

Do you keep many recipes as a hard copy, or do you get them from the internet?

1 Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life October 10, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I have tons of hard copy recipes, but barely look through them. If I’m craving something, I’ll just look up a good looking recipe online! :)
Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life recently posted..Weekend and Workout Recap- Broken Camera & Vikings Victory!

2 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles October 10, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I mix & match it…. Hard copies and from the internet. I do love to get my hands on a hard copy so I can set it in the way and am bound to give it a try! …. But then again I just made something from the internet. *cough, cough* Your pumpkin snow day recipe…… They are great!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Hop on the positive train!

3 Courtney October 10, 2011 at 10:11 pm

YUM!! :-D

4 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 10, 2011 at 7:44 pm

This looks like it’s right up my hubby’s alley! He loves red meat and stews, which I don’t make very often, so I should definitely give this one a try. It’s quite chilly here this week, so tomorrow for dinner it is! Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)

I have a recipe box that I keep a bunch of recipe cards from relatives and friends, but I also use a lot from the internet/blogs. It’s fun to find a hard copy of a recipe that you forgot about and haven’t made in a long time! Speaking of, I should go look through mine!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Wedding Series: Rehearsal Dinner

5 Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled October 10, 2011 at 7:56 pm

I have a giant binder full of recipes that I come across and “need” to make someday. Most of them still need to get made. :)

That stew looks so good. That’s one my favorite cold-weather dinners. Do you think this would do well in the crockpot? Can’t hurt to try, right?
Rosa – Fitness, Food, Fulfilled recently posted..Cyberstalked – It Happened to Me

6 Courtney October 10, 2011 at 10:11 pm

I would definitely think so! Just turn it on low for maybe, 4-6 hours? I mean, if nothing else, it’d probably just get even more tender and delicious!

7 Lauren October 10, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Welcome to fall! That stew just screams a hearty fall supper. Looks fabulous!
Lauren recently posted..3 Things I am Loving Right Now

8 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 10, 2011 at 8:04 pm

I love this recipe! I’m down for anything you can get cookin’ & then walk away from!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Wordy Girl

9 Julie October 10, 2011 at 8:35 pm

what a good wife :) my dad has requested that my mom and me make my grandma’s famous beef stew recipe for his bday on Sunday. We’re a little culinary-challenged (unlike my amazing grandma) but since she’s gone, we figured we’d grant him that wish for his bday. After all, he doesn’t ask for much!

10 Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 10, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Yummmm! That stew sounds amazing. And I get my recipes lots of different ways. From blogs, from allrecipes.com and foodtv.com, from cookbooks, and from friends. So I have hard copies, copies saved on my computer, and copies saved on the internet. :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

11 Samantha October 10, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I have an overwhelmingly large amount of hard copy recipes – I’m hoping to get them all organized over the winter!

That stew is amazing – throw it together, bake, and eat? My kind of recipe!
Samantha recently posted..All Sorts of Good Stuff

12 Nicole October 10, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I also have a giant binder, I three-hole punch recipes as I come across them and organize by type of meal/main ingredient. I like to go through it once a month or so, and pull a few to try over the coming weeks. Otherwise, I’d forget all about 90% of what’s in there!

13 Khushboo October 11, 2011 at 12:48 am

I’m such a techy junkie- more or less ALL my recipes are bookmarked/saved on my laptop…I’d like to think I’m being space efficient ;)!
Khushboo recently posted..Winner Winner, Brinner for Dinner!

14 Ellie@fitforthesoul October 11, 2011 at 12:49 am

I do both with recipes!! But then many times I end up losing them before I get to putting them in a binder hehe. And I think beef stew is da bomb! haha, I’ve only tried it a couple of times, and so far my fiance makes the best one! he’s not really a cook, but if he puts his mind into it, he does a great job, especially with beef stew. He also puts spicy jalapeno into the stew. This one looks amazing as well. :)
Ellie@fitforthesoul recently posted..I Got Squashed

15 Hope October 11, 2011 at 8:47 am

This stew looks absolutely amazing! I must save this recipe to try it! I do both with recipes. I will save them and then print them out when I am ready to use them if they are not from a magazine.
Hope recently posted..A Simple, Yet Delicious Dinner…

16 Leslie Ramey October 30, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I was looking for a tasty and easy beef stew. My hubby has been requesting it but I have been so tired- having pregnancy insomnia. This sounds like a great recipie I can make it quickly and have yummy leftovers!! Thanks.