Chocolate Raspberry Bars

by Courtney on October 12, 2011

Alright, I know it’s only the second week of October right now, but I’m about to get a little nostalgic on you all. I’m going to start talking a bit about the holidays right now…

Yes, the holidays. I know, I know…have a lost my marbles? Well, there are days I do question that, but today is not one of them.

You guys know I get pretty psyched about any holiday that falls between October 31st and December 31st, and sometimes I tend to celebrate a bit early. But I promise, I’m talking holidays with good intentions today, and for a good cause.

Foodbuzz has partnered with Frigidaire for what has been dubbed the “Talk Turkey” campaign. The campaign was established to benefit Save the Children and they’re looking for your help. For every person who “talks turkey,” Frigidaire will donate $1 and a turkey to Save the Children (and you’ll also be entered for a chance to win a new range). So go head over to Make Time for Change to “talk turkey,” and then come on back here to check out one of my favorite recipes.

Alright, so now let’s talk about about this recipe. Honestly, this is a recipe that can (and should) be made all year-round, but it tends to make me think of the holidays, since that’s when my mom first started making them.

Growing up, my mom was (and still is) quite the baker. I really doubt that there was ever a treat that came out of her kitchen that I didn’t like (unless it was the banana cake or brownies with walnuts – no nuts in my baked goods, thank you very much!).

As I grew older, I began to spend more and more time watching her, in awe of the goodies she was capable of making. Eventually, I started joining her, and come Christmas time, the two of us bake up one heck of a spread.

It usually started in November, with a couple batches here or there, which got packaged up, labeled, and placed in the spare basement freezer (man, I really wish I had one of those in my own house). Then come mid-December, cookie trays and gift boxes were strategically arranged and delivered everywhere- Dad brought one to work, Mom brought one to work, and I’d make trays for my friends, family, co-workers, and any holiday parties I may be attending.

Well believe it or not, this recipe I’m about to share with you was completely forgotten about last year, and I have no idea how we let that happen. I love this recipe not only because it’s easy (hello, one pan!) but it is completely and utterly, melt-in-your-mouth delicious. This recipe comes courtesy of my mom, and I really have no idea where she got it from because it was written on one of her old recipe cards that I photocopied as soon as I moved out (there was no way I was leaving that behind!).

Usually, we like to cut the squares tiny enough (about 1-inch) so you get more bang for your buck. If you want to dress them up even more for a cookie tray or a gift, you can put each pre-cut square in a mini-muffin cup to make it extra decorative or festive.

I had been craving these decadent little treats for a while now, and then I finally realized that I had two awesome reasons for why I should make them- 1) because sharing them in this post is for a good cause, and 2) because I love sharing my favorite goodies with all of YOU!

So now, hopefully you’ve either got something new on your “must make right now” list, or your “holiday baking” list. Either way, just make sure this ends up in your oven. Winking smile

I created this post as part of Frigidaire’s Talk Turkey Campaign. Share your own recipes and tips at Frigidaire’s Make Time for Change site. For every recipe or tip that’s shared, Frigidaire will donate $1 to Save The Children’s U.S. Programs, which creates lasting change for children in need.

1 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health October 12, 2011 at 1:06 pm

OMG those look awesome!! And I’m with ya- the holidays are amazing. I was actually thinking about christmas music earlier (I’m embarrassed to admit that haha)…I won’t listen to it yet, but the thought of how much I enjoy it did pop into my head
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Negative to Positive

2 Khushboo October 12, 2011 at 1:07 pm

You and your mama are so cute- love traditions like this! THese look so delicious, just look at those choc chips oozing out!
Khushboo recently posted..Ralk my world

3 Hope October 12, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Aw, I think it is so cute and wonderful that you and your mom bake together. I love that you posted one of her recipes. :) These chocolate raspberry bars look delicious! I love all of the chocolate chips. They really do look like the perfect holiday treat!
Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Macy’s Sip & Scan Event…

4 Lindsay @ biking before bed October 12, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Yum! My aunt makes a similar recipe at Christmas but uses apricot jam. The simple homecooked family recipes are always the most delicious and comforting.
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

5 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 12, 2011 at 1:25 pm

These look fantastic! I’m not usually a big fruit with chocolate lover (I do LOVE fruit, and I LOVE chocolate though, just not much together), but you still made these little bars look absolutely amazing to me! They look so chewy and melt-in-your-mouth delicious.

6 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life October 12, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I plan on starting this kind of tradition with my kids. I love baking and sharing my baked goods and I feel like there’s nothing better than getting a basket of home made baked goods as a gift. It’s so much more personal than just buying something at a store. Thanks for the recipe. These bad boys look to die for!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Crabby Salad

7 Taylor @ Crumbs Don't Count October 12, 2011 at 1:49 pm

OMGosh…those look delicious! I will definitely have to try and make these next week!

8 Shannon @ Healthiful Balance October 12, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Wow, these look so delicious! Raspberries are my fav! :)
Shannon @ Healthiful Balance recently posted..A Day of Good Eats {WIAW #6}

9 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles October 12, 2011 at 1:57 pm

LOVE baking with my momma! :) That is the best! ….Especially with aprons like that!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Hop on the positive train!

10 Courtney October 12, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Hahaha, yeah aren’t they snazzy? We were actually cooking with the Nasoya products in that post which is why we’re rockin’ the awesome aprons ;)

11 Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 12, 2011 at 2:17 pm

these look seriously DELICIOUS! I love making new holiday desserts–so I am stoked for the holidays NOW. Thanks :)
Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..What Is Nutritional Yeast ?

12 Suzanne Spray October 12, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I NEED to make these! I love the combo of chocolate and raspberry! Wouldn’t these be wonderful topped off with raspberry ice cream :) (I know…I’m B-A-D when it comes to my sweet tooth!) Thanks for sharing!
Suzanne Spray recently posted..Quinoa with corn, tomatoes, avocado, and lime

13 Courtney October 12, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Oh wow…I like the way you think!

14 Courtney October 12, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I love that pic of you & your mom baking! I love to bake and will definitely be making these bars for the holidays. Oh, and don’t feel bad about talking about holidays so soon… I’ve already completed 75% of my Christmas shopping!! :-)

15 Courtney October 12, 2011 at 3:50 pm

That’s awesome! You sound like my mom :)

16 Kim @ The Family Practice October 12, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I posted about holiday prep so no worries! I like to “get ready” and stretch out the fun :) These look delicious! Anything with chocolate and raspberry gets my vote!
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..Working Mommy Wednesday

17 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries October 12, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Next weekend my best friend is coming to visit and we plan on baking and drinking wine annnd I think I’ve found the 3rd recipe to add to the list! PS -Thanks for putting 1 cup of butter = 2 sticks :)
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Love Languages

18 Courtney October 12, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Hey, I gotcha girly! ;)

19 Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled October 12, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Those look so good and decadent and easy to make. That’s a great goodie trifecta!
Rosa – Fitness, Food, Fulfilled recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

20 Heather B October 12, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Oohhh I love raspberry and chocolate! These look so good, I’m goin to make them for my husband’s birthday coming up!! Thanks for sharing :)

21 Mallory @ It's Only Life October 12, 2011 at 3:24 pm

oh wow…these look buttery and delicious. id lovee to make these sometime!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Apartment Kitchen Preview!

22 Katy @ HaveYouHurd October 12, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Omg I am DEF trying these! Raspberry + chocolate = PURE BLISS! Also, your mom looks like she could be your sister…did she have you when she was 2?
Katy @ HaveYouHurd recently posted..Obsession: HALLOWEEN!

23 Courtney October 12, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Hahaha…she will LOVE you for saying that!

24 Nicole @ PancakesandPilates October 12, 2011 at 3:39 pm

These look AMAZING. I’m looking forward to having a new kitchen this November so I can start making lots of treats like this one. Thanks so much for sharing.
Nicole @ PancakesandPilates recently posted..Perfect Saturday: Biking and Beers with Bros

25 Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 12, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Yummmm!!! I really think I’m making these. They look easy and super delicious!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..“Plan C.”

26 pat October 12, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I can’t wait to start baking with you this year!!! Always a fun time : )

27 Courtney October 12, 2011 at 3:50 pm

YAY!!! :-D

28 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 12, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Woah these look amazing! And perfect for upcoming holiday parties!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Taco Tuesday

29 Chelcie of Chelcie's Food Files October 12, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Ahh I must make these now chocolate and raspberry is one of my all time favorite combinations! These look melt in your mouth delicious!
Chelcie of Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..Yesterday’s Eats

30 Amanda October 12, 2011 at 6:16 pm

loooooks AMAZING!!!!!
Amanda recently posted..A Day in My Life

31 Laura @ Backstage Pass October 12, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Is there any activity more wholesome (or fun?) than mothers and daughters baking together? I love baking with my Mom, too!
These bars look DELECTABLE. I kind of want to lick my screen. Chocolate and raspberries are a wonderful flavor pairing!
Laura @ Backstage Pass recently posted..26.2

32 Torry October 12, 2011 at 8:24 pm

These look amazing – I have been looking for something new to try and I think these are going to be it!!!
Torry recently posted..Diving In Head First

33 Brittany October 13, 2011 at 6:49 am

Chocolate and raspberry’s have to be one of my favorite combinations!! I am totally going to try this for the holiday season. Yum!! :D

34 Shayla @ The Good Life October 13, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Thank you and your mom for this recipe, I am so making these this Xmas for our Xmas Eve party!! Along with your Dark Chocolate Turtle Graham Bars that I made last year and they were a hit at our party :)
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Variety is the “All Spice” in Life

35 Amelia (Eating Made Easy) October 14, 2011 at 2:26 pm

These look FANTASTIC. I wrote about some of my own favorite holiday dishes for the Frigidaire Turkey Talk campaign too…but I may have to go back and edit after making these!!!!

36 Samantha October 17, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Wow, those look great.

For this post, did you just add the info about the Talk Turkey Campaign from their website/as you saw fit to spread the word? Is that what other’s should do too?
Samantha recently posted..And We Have a Winner…

37 Courtney October 17, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Well, I was chosen by Foodbuzz to participate by choosing a recipe of mine and including the info about the campaign in the add. But anyone can spread the word in the same fashion; I think the only difference was that they featured my recipe on their Family Buzz page for like, a day.

38 Olivia @ Liv Lives Life December 2, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Ohhhhh my gosh. These look too good for words. Bookmarking!!!
Olivia @ Liv Lives Life recently posted..Switzerland, Part 3

39 Katie December 21, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Courtney, do you think you could leave the Raspberry out and still have a yummy bar or would they not taste quite right if you leave it out? My family isn’t big on fruity things in their bars, but these look unbelievable!!

By the way, a huge congratulations on your sweet little bun in the oven! Couldn’t be more excited for you and Jay!! You will LOVE being a mom!!

40 Courtney December 21, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Thank you!
Ahh, that’s tough to say…I personally think the raspberry makes the bars! But I suppose it’s worth a try? Good luck!

41 Katie December 26, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Thanks for your quick response Courtney!! Have a wonderful new year! :o)

42 Ruthie Hart December 13, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Now I want this for lunch!!!!!!!