Shots At Breakfast + A New Abs Circuit

by Courtney on December 6, 2011

Good morning! How’s everyone doing this morning?

Well, you didn’t miss much last night around here. I ended up spending my evening enjoying a combination of studying, magazine reading, TV watching, and just some straight-up chillin’. It was fantastic.

Dinner was on the easy side, thanks to some leftover Turkey & Veggie Soup that needed to get finished up.

I’m sad that this soup is gone. I think I may need to cook another turkey. Then again, maybe I’ll just keep it easy this time and use some chicken.

Jay, on the other hand, has been asking for chili-topped potatoes ever since we had them last week. I honestly think he’s a bigger fan than I am! So I cooked him up a baked potato and topped it with boatloads of chili and cheese.

I’m not gonna lie…I sorta wanted to trade with him. Winking smile

*****

Workout

Last night before heading to bed, I checked to see whether or not my Exercise on Demand channel was still available. To my surprise, it’s actually still here for the time being, so I decided to put it to use while I still can.

Of course, when I went to turn it on this morning, my favorite upper body video was now gone (GRR!) so I picked my other favorite and ended up completing a little mish-mash of things:

Originally, I was going to go back to the TV to find an abs workout, but I decided to just do my own instead, which looked a little something like this…

quick abs circuit

Nothing crazy, but it got the job done. I performed one set of each move, working from the top of the list to the bottom, with about 30 seconds of rest time in between each move. I then went back and repeated the circuit once more, working quickly with minimal rest time (had I had more time, I would have done a third set as well).

*****

Breakfast

I brought back an old favorite today, my friends…

The triple cereal combo bowl.

I used about 1/2 cup each of Quaker Oatmeal Squares, Kashi Island Vanilla, and Mom’s Best Mallow Oats (which I bought yesterday and did not realize they had marshmallows in them – talk about a fun surprise!)

In addition to almond milk and banana slices, my cereal also got a little jazzed up with some shots…

CHIA shots, that is. Winking smile

I was sent some of these Chia Shots to try out a while back and I really think that they are such a great idea. They come in little, portable packages, making it super easy to bring on the go. I love having them already portioned out, too.

I used about half of a package in my morning cereal and plan on using the rest today at lunch. I love my chia seeds!

As a side note…has anyone else noticed the abundance of Chia Pet commercials lately? I’ll tell ya, you can always tell it’s Christmas time when the Chia Pets come back front and center. I say, skip the pet…just gimme my seeds. Winking smile

Time to do the work thang – catch ya later with a new cookie recipe!

Questions for the Morning:

• Ab workouts – love ‘em or hate ‘em?
  • Chia seeds – love ‘em or hate ‘em?
  • More than one cereal at a time – love it or hate it?

1 Hope December 6, 2011 at 9:30 am

That chili topped potato does look amazing! I’m definitely going to have to try that! :)

I’ve never tried Chia seeds before. What do they taste like?
Hope recently posted..A Mexican Inspired Evening…

2 Courtney December 6, 2011 at 4:09 pm

They don’t really taste like much of anything – they’re more of a texture thing

3 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers December 6, 2011 at 9:32 am

Wow, I thought it looked like lucky charms in your bowl until I saw Mallow Oats!!
How’d you not realize that the mallow oats had marshmallows in them? Are they tasty?
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Six Pack Sunday: Treat Yo’ Self

4 Courtney December 6, 2011 at 4:08 pm

You know what Jordan, that is such a valid question. Apparently I was too distracted to even read the name of the cereal. I saw the toasted parts and thought it was more like a kashi heart to heart. At least its delicious AND was only $1.99 for the box ;)

5 chelcie @ chelcie's food files December 6, 2011 at 9:34 am

chia shots sound awesome! I love chia seeds, what a cool idea!
I’m so happy that exercise tv is still on for the time being..my friend and I were thinking of writing a letter to exercise tv complaining! Not sure if it would make a difference or not..
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Tis the Season

6 Courtney December 6, 2011 at 4:05 pm

You never know! I say it’s worth a shot

7 Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life December 6, 2011 at 9:50 am

You had me a little worried about your title… ;-)

That baked potato looks like a great idea for dinner tonight, and I have definitely noticed the Chia Pet commercials….”cha-cha-cha-chia”!
Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life recently posted..A Christmas-Themed Weekend

8 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries December 6, 2011 at 9:51 am

Ab workouts – LOVE ‘em! Love that burn!
Chia seeds – love ‘em! I love the extra little crunch they give along with the “good for you” nutrients and healthy fats.
More than one cereal at a time – I honestly have never tried this! I don’t buy a ton of cereals (other than oatmeal), so I usually only have one or two cereals on hand at a time. I keep wanting to try it out though!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Trainer Tuesday: Crazy Circuits

9 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! December 6, 2011 at 9:54 am

LOVE ab workouts, definitely one of my favorite things to focus on.
I have only had chai seeds a few times and liked them but havent used them on the regular.
I usually just stick to one cereal and have never really mixed them, I guess I am not very adventerous!! haha
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Rememba ‘Home Improvement?’

10 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life December 6, 2011 at 9:57 am

I recently got a stability ball and am looking for workout that incorporate it so I am totally saving your an circuit for future refrence.
Christmas is totally chia pet season, it seems like they only show those commercials during Christmas. Do people actually get each other chia pets as gifts? Such a strange gift idea. I agree I’d rather eat em than plant em.
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Sushi, Shopping and Studying

11 Holly December 6, 2011 at 10:14 am

I love ab exercises! I love them On Demand – those are really good. On that subject, I think On Demand is ending Dec 31. So get your fill until then!

12 Lena @Fit on the Rocks December 6, 2011 at 10:22 am

Unfortunately, abs are my weak point when it comes to exercise. I have super strong legs and getting-slowly-stronger arms, but my core is lacking. I’ve been trying to work on it, but it’s tough!
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..PTO is the Spice of Life

13 Liz @ Tip Top Shape December 6, 2011 at 10:22 am

Love chia seeds! I never eat oatmeal without them!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Frittata with Sage and Manchego

14 Courtney December 6, 2011 at 4:02 pm

They are the BEST on oatmeal!!

15 Khushboo December 6, 2011 at 10:23 am

Hate, love, love! I convince myself that my lack of ab work is balanced by running …errr
Khushboo recently posted..Meatless Mondays

16 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign December 6, 2011 at 10:24 am

Haha, I hate doing abs so I rarely do them. Lame excuse, I know…

I love mixing my cereals–especially different textures!
Laura @ LauraLikesDesign recently posted..Getting into the Holiday Spirit

17 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles December 6, 2011 at 10:24 am

I would have wanted to trade with him too! Yummmm!
Chia seeds- *LOVE* them! ….I add them to my water and drink them daily. I swear, it has made me feel like a new person!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Today is…… Bathtub Party Day!?!

18 Courtney December 6, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Really?? I’ve never tried that. Does it make your water gel-like?

19 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat December 6, 2011 at 10:26 am

LOVE ab workouts – especially a pinnable one (thanks!), chia seeds only in overnight oats, and only certain cereal combinations. :)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..15 Bean Fiber Frenzy

20 Brittanie @ Three Bracelets December 6, 2011 at 10:34 am

Love this ab workout! Can’t wait to try it and always love your suggestions and new finds!

21 Courtney December 6, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Thanks!! :)

22 Amanda @ There Are Two Sides December 6, 2011 at 10:41 am

I love me some chia seeds!!
Amanda @ There Are Two Sides recently posted..The Sitting Swing

23 Krissie J @ A Philly Nerd Girl December 6, 2011 at 10:41 am

I was excited the On Demand channel for Exercise TV is still there, too! I love doing abs workouts, but only if they actually make me sore the next day. I really should get back into pilates. When I combined that with my regular cardio I actually almost saw a 6-pack forming!

I never have time to eat cereal in the mornings. :(
Krissie J @ A Philly Nerd Girl recently posted..Sunday Turkeyfest

24 Courtney December 6, 2011 at 4:00 pm

An almost 6-pack?? Lucky you! :)

25 Cait @ Cait hates Cake December 6, 2011 at 10:42 am

I’m a big fan of ab workouts. In fact, I just took a 30 minute ab class last night and my abs are feeling it this morning!
Cait @ Cait hates Cake recently posted..Cookies and Kale

26 Courtney December 6, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Love that feeling!

27 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss December 6, 2011 at 10:47 am

okay, I was gonna say… shots at breakfast? you’re taking mornings to a whole ‘nother level.

BUT.. I’ve never seen chia shots before! what a neat idea.
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..Bet You Didn’t

28 Courtney December 6, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Haha, heyyy, ya never know? ;)

29 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake December 6, 2011 at 10:54 am

I’ve got to get my hands on those chia shots! What a great idea! I always make a mess scooping mine out from my big bag!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..December Goals

30 Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies December 6, 2011 at 11:02 am

I like abs work outs, actually! I did an intense ab work out yesterday, but I couldn’t complete all my sets because my back is really weak. What do you do to strengthen your back?

Also, I’ve never actually tried chia seeds… bad, I know! :)
Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies recently posted..Pumpkin Spice Cake Balls!

31 Courtney December 6, 2011 at 4:14 pm

A couple of great exercises: standing cable row (at the gym) or a ball dumbbell row (my favorite). Use a stability ball and lean forward on it, knees on floor. While balancing, use dumbbells to perform rows. Its a great stabilizing/starting exercise for the back.
Hope that helps!

32 Theodora December 6, 2011 at 11:18 am

I got those in my NYC Marathon bag! I need to try them.

33 Lauren December 6, 2011 at 11:23 am

What a great idea to keep chia shots with you at all times. You never know when you’ll need a shot of chia. ;)
Lauren recently posted..Unleashing My Inner Photographer

34 Brittany December 6, 2011 at 11:24 am

Loveeeee abs! I love chia seeds. And I live mixing cereal :)
Brittany recently posted..Spill the Surprise

35 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health December 6, 2011 at 11:36 am

I’ve actually never tried chia seeds…I’m sort of embarrassed to admit that as a healthy living blogger haha. Your ab workout looks great! Doing ab exercises is something that I love to hate…if that makes sense :). Hope you have a great day!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..I Need Your Help

36 Jessica @ The Process of Healing December 6, 2011 at 12:02 pm

LOVE abs workouts… I hate challenging my legs but abs? Oh yes!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Love

37 Steph @ StephSnacks December 6, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Chiaaa shotsss what an awesome idea! I actually like ab workouts because I can immediately feel my tummy is tighter ;) or at least I think so!
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..Birthday Action

38 Cat @Breakfast to Bed December 6, 2011 at 12:52 pm

never mix cereals-it’s like crossing streams, without the ghosts. I love chia seeds, love them.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Baby Jesus Can’t Eat Fruitcake.

39 Candice @ Sailing on Paper December 6, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I’ve never tried Chia seeds but I’ve been meaning to….these shots look really handy!
Candice @ Sailing on Paper recently posted..Happy Monday!

40 Helen December 6, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Who really likes doing ab workouts? lol I don’t like it but I do love how I feel after I do them. I feel like I accomplished something. I actually have never tried chia seed nor have I ever mixed cereal. Both look good so I definitely will have to try it!

41 Michelle B. December 6, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Love ab workouts, haven’t tried chia seeds (but want to!) and when it comes to cereal, the more the merrier! Especially when it includes quaker oatmeal squares. I like mixing those with some Kashi toasted berry crisp.

42 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats December 6, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Those chia shots are possibly one of the coolest things ever! :) I always make such a mess it seems like with my big bag of them. I like ab workouts. As for cereal, I usually try to mix a couple of them.
Abby @ Abz ‘n’ Oats recently posted..can you help me spread the LOVE?

43 Shannon December 6, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I have never done ab workouts, eaten chia seeds or mixed two cereals at the same time. My answers to the questions are…I don’t know.

44 Haley March 10, 2012 at 8:56 am

That is THE CUTEST polkdadot soup bowl set!!! Ah!

45 Anna July 22, 2012 at 12:32 am

to answer the question, love all three!