Something Else On My Radar

by Courtney on December 7, 2011

Alright, so can I just say that it’s kind of a small victory that I didn’t end up solely eating an abundance of cookies for dinner tonight? I’ll tell ya, after reading about all of the different cookies and goodies that you’re all planning on making this holiday season (from my last post), I could feel my sweet tooth growing by the second.

Umm, not that it usually takes much anyways though.

Lucky for me, there’s been something else on my radar for the past couple of days that finally made its way into the dinner rotation tonight…

Grilled Ham & Cheese!

This wasn’t just any grilled cheese though. This sandwich was top notch, mainly thanks to the Honey-Cinnamon Whole Wheat Bread that I baked up this morning.

I know, right? Sorta crazy to think of using honey-cinnamon bread for a ham and cheese sandwich.

But the only crazy thing about it was that I’d never done it sooner. I paired the bread with a couple slices of black forest ham, provolone cheese, and honey mustard, which proved to be quite the winning combination.

To make for an easy dinner, since I was on my own tonight, I also cooked up a package of frozen broccoli in butter sauce that I had on hand. Bad news my friends. It was pretty gross. Too much soggy, too much butter, and way too much “stem” action goin’ on.

I ended up eating most of the “trees” but tossing the “stumps.” (<—somebody tell me I’m not the only one who refers to her broccoli this way?)

Hey, at least the sandwich did the trick. And a couple cookies later on won’t hurt either. Smile

Workout

Later this morning, I ended up doing that yoga that I mentioned earlier, in the form of the Yoga Bootcamp Twisting Detox video. The video runs about 40 minutes and honestly left me feeling super refreshed, long, and lean.

Now I’m definitely no “yogi,” but this video was both intense and a great tension-reliever at the same time. Luckily, I actually have a hard copy of this workout program, so I’ll be able to incorporate it again, which I’m definitely planning on.

*****

I’m so excited to actually be home on a Wednesday evening so I’ll be able to watch my favorite shows in real-time. I’ve seen the previews and tonight’s Modern Family episode looks like it’s gonna be a good one.

source

Gosh, that Cameron can totally make me laugh! Smile

**Don’t forget to get your entries in for my $25.00 Hodgson Mill Gift Certificate. This one’s a quick turn-around, so you’ve only got until tomorrow morning to enter!**

Question for the Evening:

Do you prefer to watch your favorite shows in “real-time” or recorded so you can fast-forward through the commercials?

1 Heather December 7, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I always watch my shows in real-time!

Every one of Cameron’s faces are priceless. He makes that show! Oh, Modern Family, how we love you!
Heather recently posted..Where Do You See Beauty?

2 Brittany December 7, 2011 at 7:34 pm

eekkk! I hate over-steamed broccoli too!

I LOVE Modern Family to no end. We typically record it and watch it 30 minutes after it’s started so we can fast forward through the commercials. :)

3 Tessa @ Amazing Asset December 7, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Oh wow that sandwich must have been glorious! With that bread? oh my yes :)
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..WIAW- The When Will I Learn Edition

4 Lindsey December 7, 2011 at 7:40 pm

I like watching them on the PVR so we can fast forward through the commercials :)
Lindsey recently posted..Camera Fun

5 Chelcie @ Chelcie's Food Files December 7, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Definitely recorded! Can’t wait for modern family tonight!
Chelcie @ Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..WIAW-Lemon Raspberry Cheesecake Overnight Oats!

6 Kristen @ notsodomesticated December 7, 2011 at 7:49 pm

We just got a DVR, so now I’m enjoying watching shows without commercials!!

And your grilled cheese looks delicious! :) I made homemade mac and cheese tonight … as the weather gets colder, the dinners get cheesier haha!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Spicing it up: WIAW Style

7 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn December 7, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Ahahahah. Can I please come over and we will eat grilled ham and cheese and watch Modern Family. #kayitsaplan
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Magazine Journalists UNITE.

8 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake December 7, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I’d be lost without my DVR. I rarely have my free time matching up with the time of the show I really want to watch; fast-forwarding through the commercials is an added bonus!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Holiday Gift Guide: For the Fella

9 erica December 7, 2011 at 8:08 pm

i love being able to fast forward through the commercials!!! i’m so impatient!
erica recently posted..vampires, balloons, & plaster of paris

10 Mallory @ Have Your Cake and Eat it December 7, 2011 at 8:17 pm

that sandwich looks amazing! you are very impressive with your bread skills!
Mallory @ Have Your Cake and Eat it recently posted..Out with the Old

11 Courtney December 7, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Hahaha, I don’t know about that but thank you! :)

12 Laura December 7, 2011 at 8:28 pm

not sure if someone commented this yet, but I think Exercise TV will be going on until December 12th. all of the workouts on mine just showed up as “ends on 12-12″ today. so we have some time left!

13 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 7, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I’m craving a pressed sandwich now! I only eat ham on occassion but when I get the craving for it, it’s INTENSE. No idea why but I bet you I’ll be buying ham tomorrow now :)
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Chocolate hazelnut mug cake

14 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles December 7, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Eric (Cameron) is from KANSAS! Holla! :) …. I lov the entire show! The husband an I look forward to Wednesday nights alllll week long!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..The Story of the Princess Band-Aid

15 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 7, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I try to watch in real time, but if I can’t, I don’t worry about it and watch it on Hulu later!

16 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill December 7, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I hated the stalks when I was younger and it would drive my mom nuts that I only ate the broccoli tops! I do love grilled cheese, though!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Holiday Cards and Crocodile Rain Boots

17 Shannon December 7, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I love Modern Family! Tonight’s episode was probably one of the best ones-ever. :)

I prefer to watch my shows in “real-time”. I have a free Zap 2 it account, and favorited the shows I watch so I can track when the new episodes are on TV. (Yes, I guess that’s freaky-but it helps me not to miss an episode)

18 Katie December 7, 2011 at 10:30 pm

The idea of the sweet cinnamon bread with ham & cheese makes me think of one of my favorite sandwiches: the Monte Cristo at Bennigan’s. That seriously sounds so good!
Katie recently posted..It’s hard to get into the holiday spirit when it’s…

19 Lindsay @ biking before bed December 7, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I can’t remember the last time I watched a show live! Even if I am home during the show, I watch it a few minutes delayed so I can avoid the commercials.
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..Insanity Inspired Workout Variations

20 Jodi December 7, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Gah that grilled cheese looks so delicious! We had chicken alfredo tonight…

I just made a million Christmas treats and managed to only eat one! Go me!
Jodi recently posted..The Very First

21 Lauren @ Sugar Coated Sisters December 7, 2011 at 11:23 pm

tv watching is my thing – way prefer it over watching movies. that being said i LOVE watching live tv for dramas like gossip girl, lost, etc… but if it’s a comedy i’m cool with it online (community, parks n rec, modern fam, etc)

your croque monsieur looks delishhhh!
Lauren @ Sugar Coated Sisters recently posted..Exercise Science Notes 5

22 Khushboo December 7, 2011 at 11:44 pm

I can’t watch shows like Modern Family when they air…one episode is never enough..I rather wait till 5 episodes have gone on air and then have a marathon! I love Manny :)
Khushboo recently posted..Checking it twice

23 esmemerrie December 8, 2011 at 12:56 am

I’m shocked that you enjoy watching the shows in “real time!” I love skipping the commercials and rewinding the best parts over and over! (insert Cam sauntering down the street screaming “STELLA! STELLA!!!”)
esmemerrie recently posted..Boysboysboysboysboysboysboys

24 Genevieve December 8, 2011 at 1:21 am

Hi Courtney! :) I stumbled across your site when I was searching for Orange soda cupcakes and I just want to say that your website is really awesome! =) I was reading your Q&A earlier, and I whole-heartedly support your decision to open a bakery/cafe. I’m planning to go New York for my grad trip in 2013 and if your shop is opened by then I’ll definitely pay a visit ! :D

Gen

25 April December 8, 2011 at 3:34 am

I love broccoli, but hate too much stem. My favorite way to have broccoli is roasted with some garlic powder and a drizzle of olive oil.

I don’t have cable service, so I watch TV shows after they are on DVD, Netflix, or Hulu.

26 Clare @ SweetnSimple December 8, 2011 at 6:02 am

Oh I love Modern Family – definitely prefer to record and fast forward the ads :) And I LOVE ham and cheese sandwiches.. yours looks SO good!

27 Rick December 8, 2011 at 6:24 am

Court – Speaking of TV shows, I saw a commercial on BBC (chan 450) that on Saturday nights they have a show called “Would you rather” it seems they have stolen your idea. I think it said 10 or 10:30

28 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign December 8, 2011 at 7:32 am

That sandwich sounds super good! I love honey mustard on everything!

Eww I don’t like the “stumps” either…reminds me of elementary school when the cafeteria lady would serve us broccoli. It was basically stems in sauce….no trees!
Laura @ LauraLikesDesign recently posted..Getting into the Holiday Spirit

29 Hope December 8, 2011 at 8:34 am

I love grilled cheese sandwiches. They are the ultimate comfort food. :) Stems on broccoli are the worst! I never eat that part.

I always DVR my favorite shows so I can fast forward through the commericals. I’m always so anixous to see what happens next that I can’t stand sitting through commercials. I almost never watch live tv anymore.
Hope recently posted..A Free Dinner Kind Of Evening…

30 Amanda December 8, 2011 at 9:22 am

Def agree! I hate broccoli stems! I’ll eat the little ones but after a certain point I just bite off the trees. And Modern Family is amazeeeee :)

31 Ashlee December 8, 2011 at 9:56 am

There are some shows that I like to watch on the DVR so I can get through the commercials quickly. If I am home to watch the show I do though. It all depends on how busy life is.
When we do watch shows in real time we always reach for the remote to fast forward through commercials lol
Ashlee recently posted..Finally, it looks like Christmas

32 Amanda December 8, 2011 at 10:54 am

I’ve been wondering about that yoga video – since you liked it I may do it tonight! Trying to pack in lots of exercisetv on demand before it goes away!

33 Crystal @cuppycakefreak December 8, 2011 at 11:27 am

I LOVE Modern Family! Cameron is sooo awesome! Love him! Do you watch The Middle or Subergatory? They are also on Wednesday and super funny too. New Girl on Mondays is also a crack up!

34 Courtney December 10, 2011 at 12:12 pm

YES! All of those shows are my favorites! :)

35 Heather December 8, 2011 at 12:41 pm

i just had a great idea! We should do a workout DVD SWAP – maybe with Jen, too? Where we trade DVDs for a month or so and get a new workout in. THis may help your decrease of on-demand exercise sadness!!! what do you think!?
Heather recently posted..Oh, Mr. Clause!

36 Courtney December 10, 2011 at 12:12 pm

That’s a cool idea! We’ll have to discuss :)