Celebrating + The Facts

Hey hey! Happy Friday, everyone!

First of all, I need to thank you all SO MUCH for all of your wonderful “congratulations” and well wishes yesterday. I really can’t thank you enough for all of your support and pretty much making me feel like a rock star. Haha.

Well by the time I finally made it home from work last night, I was once again greeted with some more “Congratulations” messages. Talk about a fun surprise to see when pulling into your driveway!

The congrats messages continued throughout the house, thanks to my wonderful hubby.

As he said it, “I wanted to do something, but I didn’t want to get you flowers because they’re too, you know, cliché. So I decided to get you some of this…stuff instead.”

Awww, what a guy. Winking smile

By the time I put my purse down and took my coat off, the champagne was open and the bubbly was a-flowin’.

Cheers!

That champagne last night tasted good. REAL good.

So much so that we mayyy have finished the bottle all by ourselves.

BUT, in my defense (although, not like I really need one) the bottle only gave each of us two glasses, so we weren’t getting super boozy. A little tipsy, maybe. Winking smile

****

So a few of you have asked some questions about the exam, things leading up to the exam, etc. Since I know this is not something that everyone is interested, I figured I’d just quickly give ya’ll some brief facts. If you’re interested in hearing more, please feel free to email me!

Alright, so here we go.

The Facts

• I spent about 3 1/2 months studying for my NASM exam. Because of my personality and how I learn, I’d say that I probably learned more in the last two weeks of studying than I did throughout the whole 3 1/2 months. I’ve always been a “crammer” and it just seems to stick with me better that way.
  • I utilized all of the resources that were available to me: the DVD’s, the online resources, textbook, and practice book. Good friends like Tina also came in quite handy at times. She helped put my nerves at ease more than once!

• I made flash cards for each chapter and grouped them using key rings that I purchased from Target. This made studying a whole lot easier, especially since the amount of flashcards I ended up with in the end was a little outrageous.

• For some chapters, I found it easier to just write notes out (plus I ran out of index cards), so I also had a notebook as well. Both were extremely helpful.

• I took the online practice quizzes and tests…A LOT. I didn’t end up utilizing these resources (which are available to you through the NASM website once you purchase your materials) until the last couple of weeks, but that worked for me. The great thing about them is that you can take them over and over, and the questions will vary each time. It’s a great way to get familiar with the material and test format.
  • The actual exam is 120 questions, multiple-choice. The minimum passing score is 70, which is what you see on the test results below. The weird thing about the exam is that you don’t find out what you’re actual score is; the only results you see are PASS or FAIL, so I really have no idea just how well I did.

nasm test results

But I do know that I felt confident when I finished, I did pass, and the sense of accomplishment that I feel is incredible, so that’s what matters! Smile

*****

No workout this morning. Too late to bed + a little extra champagne required a few extra ZZZ’s today.

Breakfast was a winner though!

Another repeat of Tuesday’s cereal combo. I’m not gonna lie – I am really loving the marshmallows in my cereal. Makes me feel like a kid all over again.

Alrighty friends, it’s off to work I go.

Hope everyone has a GREAT day!

Questions for the Morning:

When’s the last time you got a real sense of accomplishment for something that you did?

When it comes to studying, are you a crammer or do you like to space it out?

Comments

1. Sylvia @ frolic through life says

Congrats again! That was so sweet of Jay to decorate the house for you. As for champagne, next time you’re at the liquor store look for the champagne in a blue bottle. It’s strawberry flavored and so good that I could drink the whole bottle myself.
    Sylvia @ frolic through life recently posted..Wish Me Luck!

I would say I’m more of a crammer. I decided to take my boards two weeks after graduation (rather than next year like a lot of my classmates) because I would rather study all day every day until the exam and get it over with. If I spaced it out, I would probably end up reviewing those earlier topics again anyways! Glad you had a fun night of celebrating! :)
    Pamela recently posted..Egg Noodle Chicken Casserole

I am SO excited for you…for real! Congats again! The last time I felt really proud was when I cranked out a 10 mile run at the end of October…it was my first double digit run and boy did I feel fab!
    Khushboo recently posted..Indigo Deli-cious

The last time I really felt accomplished was yesterday. I’ve been working on this account since FEBRUARY (gah!), and it’s finally coming together just in time for the new year :) I already said it, but congrats! I’m definitely a crammer as well, but I tend to retain a bit, so it’s a-ok in my book.
    Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Give the Gift of…

When it comes to studying I am definitely a crammer, and if I write stuff down I will remember it so I am a huge note taker, so that portion is sort of spread out but I cram at the last minute because I feel more likely to remember it if I do a good review before a test :)
    Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..I Love Random Day

Yay! Again, congrats :D. And I love that Jay put up a bunch of different congrats signs and balloons! That is so sweet! I’m glad you enjoyed that bottle of champagne…it was totally deserved haha. I am not at all a crammer unless it’s for something that isn’t too important. I prefer to take my time and do a little bit each day!
    Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..We Don’t Mix

7. Crystal @cuppycakefreak says

Aww what an awesome hubby! So sweet of Jay to do for you!! I hope Cody also said congrats to his mama!!

• Courtney says

That was exactly my plan – I didn’t want to have to worry about it with the holidays coming up. It’s such a weight off my shoulders – and now I can just bake until my little heart is content 😉

8. Leslie says

I am so so happy for you! I would to shoot you an email with a few questions if you have time, I have been toying with the idea of becoming a personal trainer and figure since you’re so freshly in the process of this, it’d be ideal to get some feedback, if you don’t mind!!

CONGRATS COURTNEY!!!! Super happy and excited for you and I know you got such a great future ahead and new exciting things to come for you! Can’t wait to follow you on this fantastic journey with you :) xo

Champagne is my love 😉 and such a wonderful way to celebrate – you’re hubby is the sweetest and I’m so happy you got to celebrate big!!
    Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Friday Lovin’

Congratulations on passing the test! You should be so proud!

The last time I felt like I accomplished something was finishing the Las Vegas Half Marathon on Sunday. My goal was to finish in under 2:15 and I beat that goal with with a time of 2:05. I was proud of that considering I did it 13 weeks pregnant and it’s getting harder and harder to run long distances without a bunch of walk breaks.
    Rosa – Fitness Food Fulfilled recently posted..Getting Through A Season’s Eatings

• Courtney says

That is amazing, Rosa. I’m super impressed! I saw you, actually, in somebody’s recap (don’t remember who) and I was like, hey! I know her! :)

Congratulations!! You certainly deserved that champagne! Passing tests has got to be one of the best feelings – happiness and relief. I’m definitely a crammer, too. I had to take some IT certifications a year or so ago and remember waiting until like 2 weeks before the test to really start studying. Works for me, but it’s probably a little more stressful!
    Cait recently posted..What I’ve Been Stuffing My Face With This Week

Wow! I just started reading and didn’t realizeyou were so close to taking the test! Congratulations :)
    Last Saturday, I improved my 5K time by over 2 minutes and placed third in my division – so that was pretty awesome!
    Also, I always feel super accomplished whenever I make a cake. You never know how they’ll turn out, so every time one comes out good I’m psyched!

Awwwww, Jay is too sweet! I’m so glad you had such a fun celebration.
    Sometimes you just gotta celebrate, finish the whole bottle of champagne 😉 , and skip the gym in the morning. :)

I am definitely a crammer!

The last time I really had a sense of accomplishment was last month when I was reflecting at my 24th birthday and realized that since turning 23 I’d had more personal growth in one year than I think I have in the last 23, including taking a leap of faith (something my type A self never does) and leaving a grad program I didn’t feel comfortable in and beginning to beat an eating disorder I’d struggled with for 5 years. I definitely celebrated after reflecting. :)
    Laura recently posted..7 Years Ago…

I like your binder rings on the notecards – good idea! This past April, I took (and passed) my Certified Health Education Specialist exam (CHES). I started studying in the beginning of January, and the exam was mid-April. I studied exactly like you did :) Good study style! (Hey, it works, right?!) Congrats again! That is a super duper accomplishment! :)
    Suzanne Spray recently posted..SOUP recap

• Courtney says

I was actually looking into that certification, Suzanne. Do you mind my asking how you liked it? What are you doing with it now?

Congrats again! Must be veeery exciting for you :) I’m definitely a crammer, I probably learn more the night before an exam than I do in the week before! Biggest sense of accomplishment was graduating from school last month – exam results come in 4 days (eek!) :)

16. Shannon says

I’m mostly definitely a crammer- although for biology, I review the notes we have taken in class each night, then I don’t really have to reteach myself the material the night before the test.

The last time I felt like I accomplished something was getting a better grade on a Biology Test- the previous test, I didn’t do as well as I should have (but I was sick with a bad cold that weekend, which I planned to study then).

Trackbacks