Why January Is Awesome

by Courtney on January 9, 2012

January is pretty awesome, if you ask me; and so far, it’s even better this year because we have had to deal with too many days of the obnoxious, freezing-cold temperatures (*knock on wood*).

Not only does January bring a fresh start to a new year, but it’s also my anniversary month, my birthday month (3 weeks away, not that I’m counting or anything), and the birthday month of some pretty other awesome gals, including Ms. Alyssa who celebrated yesterday, and my bestest, Heather, today!

102_0242

(at Heather’s wedding in 2008)

Happy 28th Birthday, Nutjob! Smile

*****

Lunch

One of the things I love about Mondays is the fact that I get to eat lunch at home. I absolutely love having the luxury of eating lunch at home once a week; everything just seems to taste fresher and I can decide right then and there what I want. No need for pre-planning.

Today’s lunch was definitely a winner. I made myself a turkey wrap using 3 slices of low-sodium deli turkey, hummus, spinach, tomatoes, and a bread & butter pickle (of course!) on a LaTortilla High Fiber Whole Wheat tortilla. The LaTortilla Factory brand of tortillas is by far my favorite. They’re always so fresh, not loaded in calories like many other brands are, and there’s a ton of different flavors, too.

On the side, I added some baby carrots and the rest of the plum tomato that I had sliced up for my wrap.

I ate lunch while watching the afternoon news and reading through my latest issue of Real Simple.

Ten ideas for easy breakfasts, huh? I’m interested!

There were definitely a few on the list that caught my eye, so don’t be surprised if you see them popping up around these parts soon. Smile

*****

I think I’m in the mood to make soup tonight for dinner. Hopefully that can still be counted as part of my plan…I’ve got my first check-in with Jim tonight, so we’ll see how it goes!

Question for the Afternoon:

How do you feel about January? Love it? Hate it? Could care less? Winking smile

Where are the rest of my fellow January birthday friends?!?! Holla!

1 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 9, 2012 at 1:47 pm

January babies are the best babies… I shamelessly say that all the time. ;)

thank you for the birthday love! truth be told, when you texted me, I had just woken up from a stellar recovery birthday nap. which is why my reply was half delirious. :)

how about I teleport to NY in a week or so (smack dab between our birthdays) and we can have a joint january baby celebration? we’ll replace the cake with some Luna Bars and VitaTops.
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..Birthday Wishes

2 Courtney January 9, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I think you better not be teasing me with that comment, because now I want you to come to NY like…NOW!

3 Jenny January 9, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I like the idea of a fresh start which I think January offers – but it’s also the beginning of bitter cold weather. Bringing out the down jackets ASAP!!
Jenny recently posted..Why? How? Does it feel like spring time

4 Shanna like Banana January 9, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Me me me! My bday is Jan 24th and my hubby’s is Jan 2nd. We split the month into bday half months ;)
Shanna like Banana recently posted..Commitments

5 Courtney January 9, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I love that!

6 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries January 9, 2012 at 2:10 pm

as for january, i’m actually not so much of a fan. the weather is surprisingly really nice this year, but most years it’s gross (here in utah), the holidays ending is kind of sad, and there’s just not as much to look forward to (for me). however, i DO like the “fresh start” to a new year! this sounds like such a fun month for you though! enjoy girl! :)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Brunch Date

7 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 9, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I don’t mind January because it feels like a fresh start each year! The only thing I don’t like so much is the usually freezing weather, but so far this year we have had very mild weather!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Splish Splash

8 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 9, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I’m usually a January hater because of the weather, the holidays being over and still having a LONG time until Spring. There’s no Jan. bdays in my fam so it’s just usually an all around sucky month but, this year I’m not hating on it as much as normal since it’s been so warm! I’ll take a January like this any day :)
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Lessons in photography or, my incompetence

9 Marie January 9, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I’m a January b-day; between my husband and his family, it ends up being a birthday week, instead of a day. LOVE it! I can’t wait to see you celebrate yours! Love your blog; you are gorgeous!

10 Courtney January 9, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Thanks, Marie! :)

11 Melissa January 9, 2012 at 2:54 pm

My birthday is in 10 days! I wish I liked January better, but I’ve always wished I had a summer birthday . . . maybe I just need to move somewhere warmer! That might solve the problem! I usually don’t like my birthday very much, but I’m trying to get excited about it this year. Maybe if you tell me why you love your birthday so much, I can get more into it–I want to!
Melissa recently posted..Seems to be a Lemon

12 katie @KatieDid January 9, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I’m usually just trying to push through janurary, not much to look forward to for me. But with the lack of snow this year and mild weather I’ve been getting outside much more and generally enjoying myself a lot more!

13 Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter January 9, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I love January too! My birthday is on the 27th…what day is your birthday on??? So I think January is the best month ever! :)
Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter recently posted..Surprisingly Satisfied

14 Courtney January 9, 2012 at 6:26 pm

The 30th! :-D

15 Lindsey January 9, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I am usually not a huge fan of January but right now I am with our very warm temps, it is tricking me into thinking its Spring and not the dead of winter! By February its Valentine’s Day and I can almost see the end of winter so it gets more love, poor January ;)
Lindsey recently posted..Least Favorite Vegetable

16 Lisa January 9, 2012 at 3:39 pm

this doesn’t have to do w/ the post… but i just saw your tweet from earlier. About the Nike training club app. I just got an iphone jan 3rd… This was my first app and quickly become my favorite App! I have been searching for a way to do my workouts without having to turn off my fave shows at night. I would def. recommend it. :)

17 Courtney January 9, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Oh awesome! Thanks for the feedback, Lisa!

18 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! January 9, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I love Real Simple, it is such a fun magazine with tons of awesome ideas!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Food Documentaries Are Addicting

19 Karlee @ BringingBackBalance January 9, 2012 at 4:33 pm

That wrap looks delish! I always like sandwiches and wraps much more when other people make them for me lol. I can never remake restaurant versions myself!
Karlee @ BringingBackBalance recently posted..Goodbye freedom

20 Shannon January 9, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I like January-it’s not my favorite month but it’s not a month that I absolutely hate. The good thing abot January is a fresh start to a brand new year. The bad things about January are the week before review week where teachers think it’s ok to slam us with projects/quizzes/tests/etc. and midterms. Ugh. :(
Shannon recently posted..Here’s the plan

21 pat January 9, 2012 at 5:05 pm

January never used to be a favorite month, but my first baby was born in this month and by the time her birthday rolls around at the end of the month, you can see it staying lighter longer in the evening!! : ))

22 Courtney January 9, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Awwww, YAY Mom! :)

23 Lena @Fit on the Rocks January 9, 2012 at 5:05 pm

January is quite the exciting month for you! I like it because it feels like a clean slate for the year.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Long Run Sundays: Quit Playing Games

24 Heather T January 9, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Thanks for the birthday shout out :) Love ya nutjob <3

25 Courtney January 9, 2012 at 6:22 pm

WELCOME!! :-D xoxoxox

26 Courtney January 9, 2012 at 6:25 pm

WELCOME! :-D

27 Merrie January 9, 2012 at 6:01 pm

I desperately need new breakfast ideas! My scrambled eggs just aren’t cutting it like they used to. I love January, but because I’m newly graduated, THIS particular January is looking a little daunting!

28 Carissa January 9, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I do NOT love January like you do. We have birthday and anniversaries Sept- December so January is a dark, dark time where we diet and work our tails off. I typically travel a lot in January for work too. At least we have beautiful weather in Florida!
Carissa recently posted..Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend 2012

29 Michelle @ Blogitness January 9, 2012 at 6:34 pm

January is normally too cold, but this year it has yet to get really cold. I’m perfectly content with 50 some degree weather in January. Although, I’m doubting it will last long!
Michelle @ Blogitness recently posted..Why I Chose a Career as a Freelance Journalist Edition 1

30 Jodi January 9, 2012 at 6:54 pm

I Iove January mostly because all the people I love have birthdays this month! ……especially my munchkin! He turns 7 this Friday!

I am excited to hear about the soyjoy thing…I saw it on FB.:-)
Jodi recently posted..It’s About Time

31 colleen laquay urbaniuk January 9, 2012 at 7:18 pm

my oldest son has a bday this month on the 19th and mine follows shortly after on the 1st of Feb. since it’s so close to january, i have, of course, loved this month forever. to be honest, there’s probably not a month i really don’t love…somehow there’s always a reason to celebrate!!!
colleen laquay urbaniuk recently posted..i’m scared of God

32 Marykate Sinnott January 9, 2012 at 7:51 pm

LOVE IT! My Birthday is the 16th (one more week!) Hooray for January babies! :)
Marykate Sinnott recently posted..Predictions for 2012

33 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 9, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I feel kind of indifferent about January. It goes by fast, but it just marks the halfway point in school as well.

I had soup for dinner tonight – it was frozen from a few months ago. It was delish!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..walt disney world half marathon recap

34 Kristen @ notsodomesticated January 9, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Happy early Birthday to you! But honestly, January is one of my least favorite months. It’s cold and (usually) snowy and I have nothing exciting planned. But I can completely understand why it’s a great month for you! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..The next big thing.

35 Parita @ myinnershakti January 9, 2012 at 8:21 pm

January is indeed a great month! Not that I’m biased or anything but my b’day is on the 23rd! :)

36 Sarah January 9, 2012 at 8:27 pm

January isn’t my favorite month.. I need to get over holiday depression and I look forward to february!
Sarah recently posted..Pancake Sunday

37 Lauren @ Fun, Fit and FAbulous January 9, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I love January! It always seems so fresh and full of posibilities. I work as a group exercise director so I also love how it brings so many new faces into the gym! :) Happy Birthday month!
Lauren @ Fun, Fit and FAbulous recently posted..Sometimes you just need a little R&R

38 Laura@mypurposefullife January 9, 2012 at 10:41 pm

I always used to dislike January-holidays are over, the weather is freezing, a long time before any break from school… but this year is totally different. My long time boyfriend’s birthday is the 25th, which makes the month more exciting, and I always love a fresh start, so I think I’m turning into January lover. :) What an exciting month for you, Courtney!
Laura@mypurposefullife recently posted..A Year Can Change a Lot: Part 2

39 Kim @ The Family Practice January 9, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Your food pics look so good now! Not that they were bad before but I can tell you have been playing around with that new camera of yours! I’ve had my eye on the rebel for a while so when you said you got one I was super interested in seeing how it turned out for you… (camera nerd alert, geesh.) looks great
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..Doughnut Falls – Attempt Numero Uno

40 Courtney January 10, 2012 at 9:14 am

I don’t think you know how much I appreciate this comment! Thanks so much, Kim! I have been playing around with the new camera and I absolutely LOVE it. I used my other camera for the first time since Christmas over the weekend and I couldn’t believe the difference. Anyway, THANKS again! :)

41 J @ ... semplicemente j ... January 9, 2012 at 11:38 pm

This January is extra special to me for on January 14th my daughter will turn 18! Yes, yes … I am that old! :)

42 Khushboo January 10, 2012 at 12:24 am

Hmm I have mixed feelings towards January–> sad that the fun holiday festivities are over but excited and full of motivation for the new year! What are you brewing up for the birthday??
Khushboo recently posted..12 takeaways from the first week of 2012

43 Courtney January 10, 2012 at 9:12 am

There may perhaps be another little birthday bash. ;-)

44 Sherry January 10, 2012 at 6:26 am

I agree that January is a good month, it’s my birthday month too. My birthday is tomorrow 1-11, last year it was pretty neat having it be 1-11-11.

45 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 10, 2012 at 7:17 am

January has been okay so far; I agree, it’s much better without the freezing cold weather! My sister turns the big 3-0 on the 31st this year, so I’ll be looking forward to HER birthday celebration!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Plate of an 8-Year-Old

46 Courtney January 10, 2012 at 9:11 am

Oooo, that means next year is her big Golden Birthday! How exciting :)

47 Kristin @ FoodFash January 10, 2012 at 8:40 am

I really like January the same way I like Mondays. They are fresh start milestones that give you some extra oomph to get a little closer to your goals.

48 Courtney January 10, 2012 at 9:11 am

Such a good outlook! I love it!

49 Ronda January 10, 2012 at 11:30 am

January is awesome! A new year, fresh starts and my birthday, yesterday, January 9! (which is why I didn’t get around to posting too busy having a spa day) and I’m in FABULOUS company as Duchess Kate and I share a birthday!

50 Courtney January 10, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Happy (belated) Birthday, Ronda!