You know those days where you’re just feeling completely and utterly overwhelmed? Not necessarily for bad reasons, but just because reality is coming to a head and you realize that you have about 1,001 things going on and no idea how you’re going to make it all work?

Yes, I figured you’d all know what I’m talking about. Welcome to my morning!

Don’t go feeling bad for me or anything though. Every single reason I’m feeling stressed this morning is definitely a good thing…I’m just taking the normal “I’m Courtney so of course I’m going to freak out over change” route.

Do I have you guys intrigued yet? Okay, good. Hehe…I promise I’ve got lots to fill you all in with over the next day or two!

But first, let’s backtrack to last night’s dinner. Bright, colorful, and full of veggies!

Yesterday afternoon, I ended up throwing together somewhat of a chicken, veggie, and bean soup, which was lightly based off of Lauren’s recipe for Creamy White Chicken Chili. I’m calling mine soup because it was definitely more broth-like than chili-like, but the flavor was still really good.

On the side, I served us a couple of simple side salads drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette dressing.

A couple of hours later, I satisfied my sweet tooth with a Triple Chocolate Chunk VitaTop.

The company sent me a big ‘ol box with a bunch of their different flavors, including their new VitaCakes. I’m super excited about it since I know they’re going to come in handy for after-dinner treats now and then. I’m already planning one for tonight, topped with some fresh berries. YUM!

Nutrition Plan Check-In

Last night I also had my first check-in with Jim, which went very well! He said that he was super impressed with my food journal (I send him one every Friday) and really couldn’t offer much advice for improvement.

He made sure to ask how my hunger levels were (good, feeling satisfied), my energy levels (about the same, no problems there), and my moods (haha, besides your occasional PMS symptoms, I’m good).

He had also told me to weigh myself before we spoke, which I did yesterday morning. From the looks of it, it appears that I’m down 0.8 pounds, which he said is right on target with what he’d expect. Since I don’t have all that much I’ll be losing, combined with the fact that numbers can fluctuate a LOT, he reiterated the fact that weight is not going to be the number one factor here. I knew I liked this guy for a reason.

So far, I’m definitely happy with how things are going and really excited to continue!

It seems as though Tuesdays are now my favorite day to do my High Intensity Circuit Workout, so that’s exactly what I did today. Good lord, it really is not getting any easier yet! I followed up my circuit workout with a nice 75 second plank and called it a day morning. Phew!

So do you guys remember yesterday when I mentioned the ten easy breakfast ideas I was reading about in Real Simple? Well today, I decided to put one to the test…with a nice little “Courtney spin” on it, of course.

In order to stay within my new plan, I made a few adjustments to the Real Simple recipe, which were super easy swaps to make.

First, since the serving was for two, I obviously halved everything. But then, instead of 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, I used 1 (which was plenty), I only used half of a banana (again, also plenty), swapped sugar-free syrup for honey (taste preference), and added in a sprinkling of chia seeds.

Enjoyed along with my mug of coffee, and this breakfast was pretty darn delicious.

Just so you guys know, there’s actually a reason why I’m trying out some of these Real Simple breakfast ideas. But I’ve already talked your ear off enough this morning, so I’ll fill ya’ll in on that this afternoon. Winking smile

Question for the Morning:

On average, do you think you feel more overwhelmed with all the things in your life, or do you feel like you have a pretty good balance?

What do you do to cope when you’re feeling overwhelmed?

• says

I agree with you Claire! ‘Me time’ is soo important! I think that is why I really enjoy running. When I am 3 miles from my house running on the streets no can can find me lol.

Catching up with my roomies and/or boyfriend at the end of the night helps too. A little calming chit chat goes a long way :)
      Karlee @ BringingBackBalance recently posted..Hello Health Cycles

I know I’m totally overwhelmed right now but don’t have a choice but to keep on keeping on and get through all this…I dont really do anything to cope…just keep dealing with it…no time to ‘stop’ to cope often times…like right now…juggling work, business, recent back/hip injury, my daughter recovering from surgery so there’s no time to stop…good thing is I don’t cope by overeating since there’s no time! LOL

2. Whitney says

Running is my definite go to stress reliever! I love getting lost (mentally) in a run and feeling on top of the world afterwards! The husband also serves as a good listening partner when I’m extremely stressed to the max! :)

I pray when I feel stressed. I also take a few deep breaths and just tell myself to take it one thing at a time.

I heard this from someone on TV I don’t remember who but he said, if you are feeling overwhelmed ask yourself if this was the last day of you life what would really be most important. That can help bring you back to reality. Sometimes we worry about things that really aren’t that important.

I spent most of last year being way overhwlemed just because of the move, and all the changes. I finally am starting to feel like I have a grip on stuff. I do get overhwhelmed when I know I have a lot of stuff on my to do list though! I typically write stuff down and make a plan to tackle everything – even if it doesnt actually make anything more effective, it feels that way!!
    Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Longest Grocery Trip Ever

I definitely get overwhelmed easily. I find that I feel better if I step away for a bit and focus on something else (work, exercise, errands) and try to stay positive!

I make lists when I’m feeling overwhelmed. It helps me stay focused on one thing at a time which makes me less stressed over all that’s going on in my life. I feel like if I start doing 10 things at once, they take longer to get done and I feel even more overwhelmed. I have a crazy busy life so I can relate to exactly what your feeling.
    Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life recently posted..Weekend Recap

7. erin g says

Funny, I started freaking out last night and getting super overwhelmed too. My husband always reminds me that the only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time :)

oh man, i can totally relate to you this morning! i’m feeling a bit overwhelmed myself. it comes in waves it seems for me. most of the time i feel pretty “balanced” with everything, but every few weeks a flood of “to do” items and expectations get me feeling a little stressed and anxious. i just need to make sure i stick to my eating plan and not eat because of my emotions! 😉 writing out lists ALWAYS helps me and a great workout too of course! i hope you’re able to take a deep breath and have a good day my dear!
    Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Trainer Tuesday: Upper Body Pulse Challenge

Oh, I’m right there with ya–I can always find something to freak out about! 😉 But I’m excited to read about your new project! I always get overwhelmed when I have a lot to do, but I make to-do and got-done lists. I love the satisfaction of crossing things off my list, but I also like to see my progress. Taking neuroses to the next level! 😀
    Melissa recently posted..Steppin’ It Up!

10. Lauren says

Courtney, it sounds like you have some really exciting things coming up! Can’t waiut to hear about them :) You deserve all the success that comes your way!

Oh man…way to hold the suspense card! Like a lot of the responses above, I’ve turned to running, working out in general, or cleaning when I’m overwhelmed. Somehow, having a clean place makes me feel like I can tackle the clutter in my brain better 😛
    Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Where Is the Love?

Life can be so overwhelming, even when things are going great like you mentioned! I think the last couple of weeks before my wedding was one of the most stressful times of my life, even though it was one of the best times too! When I feel like I am headed for a stress breakdown, I run, pray and ask those I love for extra help and support!!
    Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..No Meatball Problems Here

Feeling overwhelmed is something I feel often and I definetly do it to myself. I have no true reading to be overwhelmed I just think I get more motivated to get things done, on wierd lol. To cope with feeling overwhelmed I make lists and cross things off I have done, it makes me feel so much better about things.
    kaitlin @4loveofcarrots recently posted..Friends from the begining

This is so why I love to workout! I have such a tendency to make a mountain out of a mole hill. I can almost feel it coming too. We are currently looking for a new pastor at my church and I am on the team that will be doing that. We meet for an hour and a half on Sundays, plus we have regular church, my class is starting in a week, our goals changed at work this year, and the list goes on.
    Working out is my outlet and if I didn’t have that I don’t know what I would do! I also have to have time to myself……for any bit of quiet time.

Funny, I actually just wrote a post about being overwhelmed, stressed and anxious. One thing I’ve been learning lately is that I have the CHOICE to feel overwhelmed, or I have the CHOICE to stop, breathe, and remember that everything works out in the end. And that even if some things get postponed, or they don’t work out exactly how I want, that it’s OKAY. Another way I cope is to just remember that stressing isn’t going to help me AT ALL, so what I really need to do is to just calm down and approach everything rationally and with a good mindset. Once I realized that being stressed was choice, it totally changed my perspective. I can’t even begin to put into words what it did to my outlook, but I instantly became more positive. It was like I had control over the situation. The situation didn’t have control over me.

Congrats on the progress you’ve made! Can’t wait to hear about the situation with Real Simple!
    Anna Crouch recently posted..Frustration Is a Choice

16. Erin says

I LOVE Vitatops! You should slice them in half width-wise and put a bit of Cool Whip Free in between the two half and refreeze. It will taste just like an ice cream sandwich! I love to flavor the “ice cream” too with Splenda and a bit of PB2, or some mint extract, or sugar free pudding mix.

17. Danielle B. says

Just started reading your blog yesterday and absolutely love it!! I would have to say I feel overwhelmed 80% of the time due to over analyzing myself. I am just one of those typical anal, controlling and routine kind of girls :) But the gym makes it better so once i get myself there I automatically feel better! I always walk out feeling great. Cant wait to read more…so far its great! :)

I feel overwhelmed a lot when things get hectic at work. Usually it is because I have slacked off and have not stayed on top of my work. I will go on feeling overwhelmed until one day I will just buckle down and tackle my to-do list. Then I feel great!
    Shelly recently posted..Churching

19. Lilly says

I can get crazy overwhelmed at times too!! What I have found most helpful is to make a list, proritize the list, and focus on something until it gets done (if possible)… if you are working on 10 things at the same time, then nothing gets done! Also, sometimes helpful to get a bunch of the easier, or quicker, things done first so I have some sense of accomplishment…. then a nice work out or glass of wine at the end of the day to relax!

There are days I feel overwhelmed too! However, since I’m such a crazy planner – I write everything I need to do down. Although it’s super overwhelming at first – it feels so good to cross things off! And ordering them in priority (or by category) helps too :)

Looks like a yummy breakfast and dinner!

1. I’m very thankful for who I am and what I have; some of the time, the things I have make me completely overwhelmed (mostly school).
    2. In order to cope with overwhelmness, I just dive into what I have to do, then I feel good.
    Shannon recently posted..An update on ‘the plan’

I’m usually pretty balanced (well, this is self proclaimed-ask my boyfriend for the “real” answer haha), but when I do have a lot on my plate-especially if changes are involved-I tend to get overwhelmed and turn into a big stress ball. I cope with it by exercise (especially running and swimming), bubble baths, and lounging to watch funny shows (Mod Fam, The League) with my boyfriend.
    Laura recently posted..Should We Guilt Kids Into Losing Weight?

I can’t even acknowledge change, good or bad, without having a meltdown! In fact, I had a major one last week.

My mom helped me put it all in perspective with this idea:
    “Sometimes anxiety and ‘thrill’ feel the same.”

I find this to be extremely true! It’s hard to distinguish emotions when they come in a huge rush. I always need a few days to analyze and get comfortable with my feelings after a big change occurs.
    Kellie @ Compelled To Do So recently posted..5 Things That Inspire Me Lately