I Learned Something New

Well good morning, everyone! How are we all doin’ on this sunny, frigid Monday? I’m actually feeling so much better this morning, compared to the rest of the weekend. In case you were out and about having a whole lot more fun than I was, here’s what you may have missed…

Alright, so get this. You’ve probably noticed lately that running hasn’t really been at the top of my workout list. I’ll occasionally throw in a treadmill routine here or there, but I just haven’t been loving it lately.

Last night when I was going to bed, however, I all of a sudden decided that today was going to be a running day. And not only that, but I also wound up with a number of five miles stuck in my head. Yikes.

So this morning, I woke up, laced up my sneaks, headed to the treadmill, and wound up finishing THIS…

5.85 miles?!? Seriously, who AM I? I don’t know WHAT got into me this morning, but I was totally feelin’ that run. Who knows…maybe it was my lack of movement from the weekend?

I also found it rather amusing to compare my “calories burned” from the treadmill, compared to those burned on my Polar FT60 .

(By the way, I gotta share some info on this heart rate monitor with you guys soon. It’s seriously awesome.)

So it’s no secret that the treadmill is NEVER EVER a good indicator of calories burned, but to see that it had overestimated by almost 400 calories? Talk about a discrepancy!

Honestly, I wish treadmills would just take that feature completely off, since I’m sure there are many people out there who wouldn’t know the difference and are under the impression that they are burning a lot more calories than they really are. It’s false advertising, people!

As amazing as my run felt this morning, it ended up doing quite a number on more poor feet. Holy cow do the bottoms of them sting right now. I am totally taking the blame for the fact that I really do need to buy myself new running sneakers…

Especially considering the fact that I’ve been using them since May. Oops. I really do need to find a new pair, but I’m so unsure of what I want to buy. I don’t run a TON, and I really would like to have a pair that I could use for everything (BodyPump, kickboxing, etc.). Does anyone have any suggestions??

Hey, even though they’re past their performance prime, they still look pretty good, right? Yeah…that’s because I’m a total treadmill runner. Winking smile

*****

Breakfast

Okay, we need to talk quick about this breakfast.

Today was my last day of attempting a new Real Simple breakfast idea and I decided it’d be a good idea to go with something I would never, ever try on my own…

So today I attempted the Toast with Yogurt and Smoked Salmon recipe.

I lightly toasted one slice of whole wheat bread, and topped it with some plain Chobani, about 1-1/2 ounces of smoked salmon, some onion slices, and freshly ground black pepper.

On the side, I also had a couple of clementines.

The salmon looked a little scary, but I’m always willing to try something once, so I went for it…

…and then I learned something rather quickly today.

I am not a fan of smoked salmon…at ALL.

Oh my gosh, it was awful. Just awful! The smoky flavor did nothing for me, and all together it was just too salty. BLECH!

I quickly downed a clementine to try to get rid of the taste, chugged some coffee, and promptly made an egg, cheese, and jam sandwich.

(photo recycled because I was too hungry at this point to take photos).

That was MUCH better. And hey…at least I had one good take-away from this breakfast disaster: Now I know not to ever bother buying smoked salmon again. Winking smile

Alright friends, I gotta jet…but be on the lookout for a new workout headed your way this afternoon!

Comments

strong work on that treadmill run! i love when you’re just “in the groove” and feeling great!

ahh i’m bummed you didn’t like that smoked salmon breakfast! that was one of them that sounded extra tasty to me. i love smoked salmon! i don’t know if i’d like it for breakfast though to be honest… it sounds better to me for lunch or an appetizer dish.
    Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Under The Weather

2. Mollie says

I LOVE Brooks Running shoes, which I use primarily for running. They are amazing. But I also got a pair of more “fashion” sneakers if you will, that I use to coach and workout in when I am not doing distance runs-under armour. So amazing. Check them both out!

Happy Monday! Nothing better than starting the day with a nice sweaty run.

Totally with you on the calorie tracker! I feel like they’re such a distraction and can make us focus on the calories burned instead of how energized we’re feeling, you know?

I just got a new pair of running shoes that I am LOVING. They’re the Asics GEL-Frantic 6. Super comfy and light and very reasonably priced. Here’s a link: http://www.famousfootwear.com/Shopping/productdetails.aspx?catalog_name=web&pg=1018605&p=74380&CMP=OTC-GoogleBase&partnerid=GoogleBase&cpc=GoogleBase&campaign=ASICS&CAWELAID=1019043846

I had my first run in weeks over the weekend after finally getting a gym membership. Way too cold in Ottawa to be running outside! Despite not having been running for a bit, I was able to go for quite a while! love when that happens!

Smoked salmon…. love it! So nice with a bit of cream cheese.
    Danielle @ Dish’n’dash recently posted..Quick Workout and a Cold Morning

Most newer TM have a feature that you can define ‘users'; by defining say user 1 with your gender and body weight it will estimate the calories correctly. Definitely worth the time to figure it out on a home TM, more hassle at a gym, but you exercised at home?

That salmon sandwich looks delish!

Great job with the running! I think sometimes when you take a break from something, your body appreciates that rest and can do better than ever when you come back. The other strength training workouts you’ve been doing lately are for sure helping to keep your endurance up also. Don’t feel bad about not liking the smoked salmon, I am not a fan either!!
    Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..A Sweet & Sour Decision, Part 1

Awesome run!! I usually don’t pay attention to the treadmill since it has no idea your body weight, height etc. I just go with the “about 100 cals per mile” rule to estimate even though it’s usually a little less than that. I’m not sure if I’m a huge fan of salmon in the morning!

It’s a conspiracy! The machines tell you that you burned 1,000 calories making you think you can refuel with as many calories. Well, now you’ve consumed too much food and have to use the machines to work out more to burn it off!!! But seriously, those calorie counts are stupid. I also wish they would get rid of them because they aren’t really helpful for anyone.
    Shana recently posted..Snacks on a Plane

9. Amy says

Yuck, I hate smoked salmon too!!! it’s one of those love it or hate it things…My mom could eat it all day, I won’t go near it!

Stay Warm….it’s a balmy 13 in Boston today…!

10. Kathryn says

Go to Fleet Feet Albany and have them help you pick out the right shoe for you. Everyone’s foot shape is different and they analyze your gait. They are knowledgeable and its supporting a local business!

smoked salmon is one of those acquired food tastes… and i cant see that trying it for breakfast of all meals would leave a great impression! ahh.. sorry you didnt like it! i am not a fan either, but my ex would go CRAZY for it since he’s been eating it since he could chew.

i pound out a ton of miles on the treadmill each week and i just tried out some Brooks a few weeks ago for the first time. i would HIGHLY recommend. I strongly dislike new balance and have only gotten injuries from them. Brooks is great for a lighter, supportive shoe and they run on the smaller side. I have a naturally narrow foot and these work great for me! Hope you find a good pair !

What a good feeling! That’s awesome you got such a long run in this morning- also I know the feeling all too well of your feet hurting badly after long runs like that- my feet used to have the worst blisters from running- painful! I really love my Reebok RunTones- they are great for running and honestly everything else. I lift weights in them as well as all other cardio workouts. I’m not sure if they really tone my legs more so than wearing regular sneaks but I’d like to think so! Haha, have a great MLK Day!
    Shelby recently posted..Icicle Hands

13. Suman says

Ah, I LOVE smoked salmon, but I’ll admit it’s definitely a different flavor! Smoked salmon & cream cheese on a toasted baguette is probably one of my favorite things ever. haha

14. laura says

I am a total treadmill runner too! Esp now in Philly – too cold to run outdoors!! I am in love with my Saucony sneakers that I bought at Dick’s Sporting Goods. They are very lightweight and I feel like I can run so much more with them on!! It IS ridiculous how off the calorie count is on the machines!

I love smoked salmon but the thought of eating it for breakfast always geeked me out. It’s so rich and savory…much better as a lunch option.

Good luck on the shoes! I’m actually looking for the same kind of pair so if you find a good one, do share! :)
    Lauren recently posted..Girls Day In the Three Day

I don’t know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but I am a big fan of Joe’s New Balance Outlet online. It has good deals on New Balance sneakers. Definitely worth checking out if you want a new pair of sneakers, but do not want to spend a fortune :)
    Ashlee recently posted..Monday Check-In

I love my polar heart rate monitor too. I don’t use it everyday but maybe every week to make sure I am on track when I use my elliptical machine.

I have to agree about the smoked salmon. I have tried it so many ways, breakfast, salads, sushi etc. I can’t make myself enjoy it.

Love following your blog. Keep up the great posts!
    Emilie recently posted..My Favourite YouTubers

18. Karleen says

I would recommend the New Balance vibram minimalist shoes. Vibrams are those toe shoes that look like a frog when you wear them (don’t know if you’ve seen before:)) but they just recently partnered up with New Balance to create a shoe that mimics running barefoot which is supposed to be the best thing. I have to tell you that the shoes take a little getting used to (my shins and calves were sore for a week) but now my leg muscles feel stronger and more balanced.

• Courtney says

That’s good to know…thanks, Karleen! I definitely have seen them around before but have been afraid to try them, haha

19. Sam says

I also have a pair of the minimalist shoes… I have the Merrell Barefoot Pace Glove shoes… you can use them for running, classes and I’ve hiked in them. You are supposed to break them in by just wearing them around for a few weeks. My fiancé healed a lot of hip pain from running by wearing the ones that look like gorilla feet. Supposedly they help strengthen your muscles that normally don’t get used when you wear padded sneakers. They’re awesome because they’re so light. I feel clunky now when I wear my regular running shoes.