Five-Week Nutrition Plan Update

Howdy, folks! I’ve got a nutrition plan update for you all, so let’s whip right through this amazing breakfast first.

I came home from work this morning with a HUGE craving for Mixed Berry French Toast Oatmeal, so that’s exactly what I made. And it was glorious.

Speaking of oatmeal…did you guys know that today is actually National Oatmeal Monday? Yeah, I didn’t know either. But I have my good pal, Janetha, to thank for the heads up on that one.

So glad I was able to participate. Smile

A Nutrition Plan Update

Alright, let’s chat about this ‘lil ‘ol plan I’ve been working on for the past few weeks. In case you missed it, you can read all about the plan HERE, see some FAQ HERE and read my two-week update HERE.

So at this point, I’m about five weeks into the plan. I have not been weighing myself regularly because, well, I just don’t think to do it and the weight part isn’t really my thing. I also hadn’t taken any measurements since starting up until today, so I’ll first fill ya in on that:

• Pounds lost: 5 lbs.
  • Inches lost*: About one inch each on the waist, hips, and thighs, so about 3 inches total.

*I’m sort of terrible at measuring myself, so there’s a high probability that these could be incorrect.

• The jeans are loose. I’ve noticed that the few pairs of jeans that I’d felt like I was previously stuffing myself into are feeling a lot more comfortable. Not loose to the point where I need a new size, but just good.
  • My contact with Jim has been sporadic. Some weeks, we haven’t talked at all. Other weeks, we’ve had check-ins via phone and email. Because I feel pretty confident in following the plan, I don’t always feel like I need to talk with Jim, unless I have questions.
  • I’m still feeling awesome! With the exception of a few bouts of tummy trouble (unrelated to the plan, more so related to stress with the new job) I’m really feeling good overall. My energy is up, and I really just feel like I’m doing my body good.
  • If I don’t eat something every 2-3 hours, I am STARVING. There’s been a few times where I’ve been stuck without a snack nearby, and it’s unreal just how ravenous I become. My body is definitely used to eating all day long now, which is fine by me. I just need to make sure that I’m prepared with snacks if I’m out. I’m usually pretty good about making sure that I have some almonds, Clif Z Bars, or a piece of fruit in my purse or car at all times.
  • My sweets cravings are still low. I know I mentioned this last night, but I am totally fine now with satisfying my sweet tooth with an apple + PB, cereal with almond milk, or a Chobani with fruit. Don’t get me wrong…I still adore my chocolate and sweets…but now when I have it, it’s that much more enjoyable.
  • I cut back on alcohol during the week. Before I started the plan, it wasn’t out of the norm for Jay and I to have a beer (or two), or a casual glass of wine (or two) with dinner a couple of nights during the week. When you think about it, that can really add up, so I made a commitment to keep the alcoholic beverages at bay until the weekend. There have been a few nights where I’ve really craved a beer, but for the most part, this hasn’t been too hard to stick with.
  • I haven’t stuck to the plan 100%. Sometimes my snacks are sporadic. Sometimes, I wind up combining extra snacks in place of a meal. And then with the whole birthday thing happening, I knew there was going to be some extra treats, but that’s okay. Life is too short, my friends. But keeping that in mind, I did do my best to stick to the plan with the rest of my meals and snacks on the days where there was going to be some extra celebrating. Because, well, we know there’s definitely been some of that going on…

There’s been birthday beers

Birthday fro-yo

Birthday burrito bowls and giant margaritas

And enormous and delicious four-course dinners

But for me, all of these indulgences were absolutely, 100% worth the “splurge.” Had I not allowed myself these extra treats, then I ultimately would have been setting myself up for failure. If I deprived myself the first time, I know it’d only be a matter of time before I decided that I “deserved” something else; and I can assure you that I probably would have indulged twice as much as I needed to. That’s just how I tend to operate.

Overall, the plan really has been super easy to follow. Some days I’m more lax than others but honestly, I could totally see this being something that I’ll carry on for a while. I like- no, I LOVE- how I feel on this plan. It’s not a crazy fad, it’s not filled with weird foods, and it doesn’t eliminate food groups. It’s just healthy, clean eating, and THAT, I can handle.

So there ya have it! Any other thoughts/questions, feel free to post ‘em! Smile

Great recap, Courtney! I totally get how you’re feeling! After a very indulgent December, I went back to clean eating in January and to say I feel great is an understatement! Like you I am not depriving myself but just cutting back on the splurges…and on the few times I do splurge, I definitely enjoy it a lot more! It’s all about striking a balance and you seem to be doing a great job at that so keep it up!
    Khushboo recently posted..Body For Life: 25% down

This recap makes me very interesting in trying a similar plan of my own. I have a question: do you feel satisfied eating mini meals throughout the day? Do you find yourself still being hungry and wanting more as soon as you finish a meal? I guess I’ve always been nervous that eating all day would allow me to feel full, but in return constantly be thinking about food and when the next meal is all day. Thanks for your feedback :-)
    Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Food is Love

• Courtney says

I definitely feel satisfied, no doubt! My body is now used to eating quite often, so it expects food every 2-3 hours. Jay has actually said to me on more than one occasion, “you’re hungry already?”
      Yes dear, I’m a machine. 😉

3. Minda-Julies friend :) says

Hi! I love clean eating…I agree that fad diets are just that…a fad! I am not a meat eater (just fish) and I also have a gluten intolerance, so my diet already eliminates a few less nutritional foods. However, I just had to share a quick and easy food with you :) If you have already tried them, then just kidding! They are called Bahama Rice Burgers…and I am in love. You can find them in the freezer section.

Since I don’t eat flour, I eat mine sans bun. But that’s ok because they are delicious on their own. 3-4 minutes on both sides in a skillet, I top mine with 1/2 an avocado mashed up, a little ketchup for dipping ( I know you love ketchup!) and your side is up to you. I like serving them with sweet potato fries. If you try them or have already tried them, I hope you enjoy(ed)!

This shows you the ingredients and they come in fun flavors-happy eating!

Great recap! Comfortable feeling jeans are such a great thing aren’t they!? Question- I know that you cut back on sugar, alcohol etc…but did you increase your intake of anything such as protein or fiber? Or was your success more due to you slowly weaning yourself away from certain foods?
    Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Three Cheers for CHO!

• Courtney says

I definitely increased my protein and probably my fiber, but I was making a conscious effort on the protein. I try to incorporate it at every meal/snack!

way to go with your nutrition plan! it sounds like it’s going really well and working great for you. eating REAL foods, not cutting out food groups, and having an occasional little splurge is what eating healthy is all about… like you said, it’s no fad or crazy diet. i just wish everyone could understand this! :) great job! congrats on your results!
    Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Cocoa Lovin’

I love how flexible and realistic and wholesome this plan sounds. :)

And PS – Peter bought some of those home gym floor mats at Sams for us to put in our basement gym. I laughed and told him you just bought some too. I swear I could hear him rolling his eyes over the phone. LOL
    Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..The First 14 Miler

Thanks for the detailed recap! It is so nice to here that this plan is fitting in as part of your lifestyle and doesn’t feel like a “diet.” I know I was feeling my best when I felt that those healthy habits were just a part of my day-to-day life! It has been a struggle to get back to the healthiest me since my move to the city, but I am getting there and your post inspired the confidence in me that I can! I appreciate your openness about your splurges!
    Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Trick your Tummy: 5 Mind Changes that Keep the Scale Moving Down

I try and eat pretty often (I get hungry if I don’t!) but I think I’d like to still break it up into eating even more often, just somewhat smaller meals. The one time it’s hard for me to do this is dinner time – I just love having a big dinner after work! But I definitely enjoy it more when I eat smaller portions and more often. And it usually makes me feel better – not so stuffed and I have constant energy!
    Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..Mushroom, Spinach, and Roasted Red Pepper Crepes

9. Heather says

Great recap!! It is great that you are feeling better too! Now that you lost the 5 lbs. , do you get to add more calories back to your plan?

Great recap Courtney! Glad the plan is going well for you, your oatmeal looks beeaautiful.. It must be satisfying to see and feel such great results :)