Howdy, folks! I’ve got a nutrition plan update for you all, so let’s whip right through this amazing breakfast first.
I came home from work this morning with a HUGE craving for Mixed Berry French Toast Oatmeal, so that’s exactly what I made. And it was glorious.
Speaking of oatmeal…did you guys know that today is actually National Oatmeal Monday? Yeah, I didn’t know either. But I have my good pal, Janetha, to thank for the heads up on that one.
So glad I was able to participate.
A Nutrition Plan Update
Alright, let’s chat about this ‘lil ‘ol plan I’ve been working on for the past few weeks. In case you missed it, you can read all about the plan HERE, see some FAQ HERE and read my two-week update HERE.
So at this point, I’m about five weeks into the plan. I have not been weighing myself regularly because, well, I just don’t think to do it and the weight part isn’t really my thing. I also hadn’t taken any measurements since starting up until today, so I’ll first fill ya in on that:
- Pounds lost: 5 lbs.
- Inches lost*: About one inch each on the waist, hips, and thighs, so about 3 inches total.
*I’m sort of terrible at measuring myself, so there’s a high probability that these could be incorrect.
- The jeans are loose. I’ve noticed that the few pairs of jeans that I’d felt like I was previously stuffing myself into are feeling a lot more comfortable. Not loose to the point where I need a new size, but just good.
- My contact with Jim has been sporadic. Some weeks, we haven’t talked at all. Other weeks, we’ve had check-ins via phone and email. Because I feel pretty confident in following the plan, I don’t always feel like I need to talk with Jim, unless I have questions.
- I’m still feeling awesome! With the exception of a few bouts of tummy trouble (unrelated to the plan, more so related to stress with the new job) I’m really feeling good overall. My energy is up, and I really just feel like I’m doing my body good.
- If I don’t eat something every 2-3 hours, I am STARVING. There’s been a few times where I’ve been stuck without a snack nearby, and it’s unreal just how ravenous I become. My body is definitely used to eating all day long now, which is fine by me. I just need to make sure that I’m prepared with snacks if I’m out. I’m usually pretty good about making sure that I have some almonds, Clif Z Bars, or a piece of fruit in my purse or car at all times.
- My sweets cravings are still low. I know I mentioned this last night, but I am totally fine now with satisfying my sweet tooth with an apple + PB, cereal with almond milk, or a Chobani with fruit. Don’t get me wrong…I still adore my chocolate and sweets…but now when I have it, it’s that much more enjoyable.
- I cut back on alcohol during the week. Before I started the plan, it wasn’t out of the norm for Jay and I to have a beer (or two), or a casual glass of wine (or two) with dinner a couple of nights during the week. When you think about it, that can really add up, so I made a commitment to keep the alcoholic beverages at bay until the weekend. There have been a few nights where I’ve really craved a beer, but for the most part, this hasn’t been too hard to stick with.
- I haven’t stuck to the plan 100%. Sometimes my snacks are sporadic. Sometimes, I wind up combining extra snacks in place of a meal. And then with the whole birthday thing happening, I knew there was going to be some extra treats, but that’s okay. Life is too short, my friends. But keeping that in mind, I did do my best to stick to the plan with the rest of my meals and snacks on the days where there was going to be some extra celebrating. Because, well, we know there’s definitely been some of that going on…
There’s been birthday beers…
And enormous and delicious four-course dinners…
But for me, all of these indulgences were absolutely, 100% worth the “splurge.” Had I not allowed myself these extra treats, then I ultimately would have been setting myself up for failure. If I deprived myself the first time, I know it’d only be a matter of time before I decided that I “deserved” something else; and I can assure you that I probably would have indulged twice as much as I needed to. That’s just how I tend to operate.
Overall, the plan really has been super easy to follow. Some days I’m more lax than others but honestly, I could totally see this being something that I’ll carry on for a while. I like- no, I LOVE- how I feel on this plan. It’s not a crazy fad, it’s not filled with weird foods, and it doesn’t eliminate food groups. It’s just healthy, clean eating, and THAT, I can handle.
So there ya have it! Any other thoughts/questions, feel free to post ‘em!