Full Body Superset Workout

by Courtney on February 23, 2012

I’ve got a great, full body workout for you guys today! And you know what it is?

Supersets!

Why? Supersets are designed to cut out downtime between sets, which increases both your metabolism and your heart rate, because the body works harder afterward to recover. This means a greater calorie burn, without the whole sweaty cardio session. Sound good? Check this one out:

full body superset workout

Pin It

Because there are no machines involved in this workout, you can easily perform these moves at home, at work, or anywhere else you have a set of dumbbells. Need to see how the moves are done? See below…

Bent Over Rows – Hinge forward 90 degrees from hips so back is parallel to floor and arms extend down. Drive elbows directly behind you to bring dumbbells by ribs. Lower and repeat.

image

Decline Bench Press – Remember to maintain bridge position as you extend arms to press dumbbells toward ceiling. Lower upper arms to floor and repeat.

image

Biceps Preacher Curl (*if you don’t have a stability ball, sit backwards in a standard chair). Curl weights toward shoulders and lower. Repeat.

Tricep Skullcrushers (*if you don’t have a stability ball, you can do overhead tricep extensions instead). Hold one dumbbell between right thumb and pointer finger. Slide left hand under right hand for support. Keep knees hip width apart and hips lifted. Straighten out arms by lifting the weight up. Pause for one second, begin lowering the free weight back to your starting position, and repeat.

Leg Curls with Dumbbells – keep abs tight and lift leg up, maintaining a 90 degree angle. Lower and repeat.

Squat with Dumbbells – remember to keep weight in the heels as you lower and rise back up. To make it easier, hold the dumbbells at your sides.

image

V-Sit Twists with Dumbbell – Crunch up, lifting feet off floor, and hold dumbbell at chest level. Rotate torso toward right as you bring right knee into chest; simultaneously extend left leg diagonally up at a 45 degree angle. Keeping torso and legs lifted, switch sides and repeat to complete 1 rep.

image

Roll Ups with Dumbbell – Engage abs, raise arms overhead while holding dumbbell, and slowly lift shoulders and then torso off floor; hinge forward at hips to reach hands to touch toes. Slowly reverse motion back to start. To make it easier, perform the moves without a dumbbell.

image

Have fun with it! And if you decide to give it a try, let me know what you think! Smile

1 Michelle@PeachyPalate February 23, 2012 at 8:43 am

Absolutely love this, going to try it out in the morning, just what I was after, you must have read my mind! How long should it take three times over?
Michelle@PeachyPalate recently posted..The nail on the head

2 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life February 23, 2012 at 8:45 am

Oh this looks like a great work out, and perfect for me because I don’t have a gym membership at this time and do all my workouts at home. Thanks for the pictures and descriptions of the moves too! :-)
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Quinoa Granola Bars

3 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat February 23, 2012 at 8:49 am

Supersets are killer! I’m loving strength training right now, so I’ll definitely be trying this one!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Sweet Garlic Soba Noodles with Crispy Tofu

4 Lily February 23, 2012 at 9:00 am

These look great! Gotta try them soon :)
Lily recently posted..WIAW :)

5 Caroline February 23, 2012 at 9:13 am

Thank you for posting this! I don’t have much equipment and this is perfect for me!
Caroline recently posted..Nutella Overnight Oats – Best. Breakfast. Ever.

6 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries February 23, 2012 at 9:29 am

looks like a great workout! i’m a huge fan of supersets. they’re challenging and get you in & out of the gym fast!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Favorite Workouts

7 Lena @Fit on the Rocks February 23, 2012 at 9:39 am

Love the workout! I’ve been dreading making my way to the gym, but need a decent workout. Looks like this is on my agenda for tonight.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Impromptu Dining and A Giveaway Winner

8 Mindy February 23, 2012 at 9:40 am

I’m loving the images you included with each workout. Too often, I read work-outs but always scroll down and exit the particular post because I get too lazy to figure out the moves. Thanks for posting ;-)
Mindy recently posted..Happy Days

9 Coco February 23, 2012 at 9:54 am

Printing this and doing it today!
Coco recently posted..BBQ Beer Chicken Chili

10 Steph @ StephSnacks February 23, 2012 at 9:54 am

Courtney thanks so much for showing each move. Sometimes on blogs it’s tough to follow the workout when you can’t actually SEE the move. It definitely takes more work on your end but it’s definitely beneficial! I’ll try to incorporate some of these moves tonight at the gym :)
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..Boston – The Eats! Part 3

11 Tina @ Best Body Fitness February 23, 2012 at 10:37 am

Looks like a goodie! You know I love full body supersets and circuits. ;)
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..How To Eat Healthy

12 Tessa @ Amazing Asset February 23, 2012 at 10:38 am

Excellent workout! These are my favorite kinds lately… I just did a ST workout today, but will save this for Saturday!

13 Khushboo February 23, 2012 at 10:51 am

I feel ao flaky for not thinking about using the stability ball for preacher curls- thanks for the idea!
Khushboo recently posted..Life’s important questions

14 Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 23, 2012 at 11:05 am

Thank you for the pictures! I was hoping they would be included becaus I am the worst at figuring out how to do a move. Great workout!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Healthy Banana Oatmeal Bars

15 Lindsay @ Fuel My Family February 23, 2012 at 11:19 am

I have been loving supersets and at home circuit workouts lately. I have been in a running rut so I’ve been trying to mix it up some. I love killing 2 birds with 1 stone and getting weights and cardio in one too!
Lindsay @ Fuel My Family recently posted..Chicken Marsala thanks to Dave

16 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers February 23, 2012 at 11:21 am

Love this workout! This is one I’m going to do tonight! Thanks!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Off the Hook Rye Bread

17 Dee February 23, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Love that you included the descriptions and images!! so helpful, and I’m so much more likely to try this out! As easy as it is to type something into google search, I guess I’m just far too lazy to even look up moves that I don’t know..haha! Sad!

18 Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt February 23, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I can’t wait to try this Courtney! I’m excited to try the Tricep Skullcrusher, I’m getting tired of just doing the standard dips
Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt recently posted..Wonton Wednesday

19 Kelsey February 23, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Looks like a great workout! I added it to my fitness board on Pinterest!

20 Lauren @ Sugar Coated Sisters February 23, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Just wanted to say that I decided to do this workout this morning and it was my first weights-related workout since my car accident 2 weeks ago. It felt great to finally do something other than bicycle!!!

21 Erin February 23, 2012 at 5:16 pm

This is perfect! I’ve been looking for some new moves I can do without too much equipment. Thanks for including all the photos of the moves, too.
Erin recently posted..A Different Routine

22 Marie February 23, 2012 at 6:54 pm

This looks like an AWESOME workout. I’m loving that you create and share great workouts with us. I also like that you provide descriptions with a picture instead of linking a you tube video since that takes longer to go through and learn the moves if you’re new to them. Thanks!

23 Maggie @ Running on Fro-Yo February 23, 2012 at 9:16 pm

This looks like a great workout! I’m definitely pinning it :D
Maggie @ Running on Fro-Yo recently posted..WIAW & Giving Up Negative Self-Talk

24 Lou February 24, 2012 at 5:26 am

Hi! I just finished this right now and I loved it :) I found the arm exercises not so challenging, HOWEVER, it was probably due to me not having heavy enough dumbbells. It got to the legs and they were good especially because I was sore from yesterday’s exercise, so it felt really good. Then it got to abs – holy moly! They were terrific and something I really need to work on! I did some jumping jacks, pushups and crunches in between some of the exercises (allowing for the 1 min rest) just to add some more work. But this was really good, thanks Courtney. The pictures really helped out too. I’ve been following your blog for a while now but this was really the first work out I did from your site. I don’t know why it took me so long but this workout just really appealed to me. So thank you and keep up the great work! Enjoy the rest of your holiday :D

25 StoriesAndSweetPotatoes February 26, 2012 at 9:52 am

Looove supersets and thank you for the pictures! Today is a rest day for me. Every muscle is sore.
StoriesAndSweetPotatoes recently posted..Curried Deviled Eggs

26 Alexa @ SimpleEats February 26, 2012 at 11:00 am

Just did this! It was awesome, Courtney! Those ab moves at the end were killer!
Alexa @ SimpleEats recently posted..40 Days and 40 Nights

27 Destiny Ervin February 27, 2012 at 11:04 am

I just tried this workout! It helped so much having the descriptions with a picture! Thanks. It was nice and quick but I felt like my whole body was getting a good workout!

28 Cait March 10, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Just tried this out. I’m recovering from a hip injury and this seemed manageable for me today. Nice workout – my shoulders are on fire! Thanks – I’m loving all the strength and circuit workouts lately!

29 Abby F March 13, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I was doing the superset wrong until the very end- but then I figured out how its supposed to be done! Completely read the instructions before you start!! I’m going to have to try this again.

30 Susan March 29, 2012 at 11:48 am

Great work out! I love your blog!

31 Courtney March 29, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Thanks, Susan! :)

32 Sylvia March 21, 2013 at 2:13 pm

This is what I am looking for after my month long hiatus! Lost my job mid Feb. and stopped working out as I was not motivated enough. This is what I need to get back into the swing of things! So thankful I stumbled accross this website! So great what you do Courtney!

33 laser hair removal hertfordshire July 11, 2013 at 2:59 pm

I am genuinely pleased to read this weblog posts which includes
plenty of valuable data, thanks for providing these information.
laser hair removal hertfordshire recently posted..laser hair removal hertfordshire

34 Catherine July 30, 2013 at 10:16 am

I’m not sure why but this website is loading extremely slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a issue on my end? I’ll
check back later on and see if the problem still exists.
Catherine recently posted..Catherine

35 Rowena August 10, 2013 at 1:02 am

“special deals”, ” deep discounts”, “clearance items”, “cheap merchandise”, and “special coupon offers”.

We need to not listen to our doctor who will be very helpful and
write a prescription for almost anything to help you
live with your diabetes. Make your own Muesli, you can make better
muesli than any breakfast cereal manufacturer and instead of milk have soy or
rice milk, one without sugar as an additive.
Rowena recently posted..Rowena