On Air!

by Courtney on March 8, 2012

Good news…I didn’t stumble all over my words and sound like too much of a bumbling weirdo this morning. Score!

Even though we were only there for a short little while, we had SUCH a good time this morning. Myself and another trainer (who is training Darren, seen above) visited the B95.5 Breakfast Club this morning to talk a little bit about health, fitness, nutrition, and the fitness challenge that both Laura and Darren are in (they’re both competing against each other for their favorite charities).

All four of us had a few good laughs on air for our segment, even more good laughs OFF the air, and still stuck around for a little while after the segment was over just to hang out.

It was really fun to see all the “behind the scenes” stuff that takes place, and I’m not gonna lie…I felt pretty bad a$$ with my snazzy big headphones and microphone.

As a side note…funny story. Do you guys remember back in October when I made my Judging Debut? Well Laura was actually another one of the “celebrity” judges, and I had first briefly met her back then. Small world, right?!

*****

So before I left the house this morning to head to the radio station, I made sure to give myself plenty of time for a good breakfast. Turns out, it was a good thing I did, because that was one of the questions that we were both asked while on air!

Today I had some scrambled eggs mixed with fresh spinach and a wedge of The Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese.

And, of course, since you know there’s pumpkin bread in the house right now, I most definitely had to incorporate a slice of that topped with some peanut butter (plus another sliver while my eggs were cooking).

Mid-morning, once I got home from my radio debut (haha), I changed quickly into my workout clothes and got in today’s Bootcamp workout. Today called for the same type of cardio as Tuesday did, so I did that same treadmill workout, minus 10 minutes. I was losing steam (and interest) toward the end, so I decided to just cut things a little short. No biggie. I’m excited to get back to some more weights tomorrow; seriously, I can’t get enough of ‘em!

Post-workout and shower, it was time for some lunch, and let.me.tell.you…this salad was top notch. Lots of veggies, some tuna for protein, and a little sweetness with some dried cranberries. YUM!

I think some of my most favorite salads are the ones that I prepare as a “chopped” salad, which I originally got the idea for from my first visit to Salad Creations; I simply toss all of the ingredients into a big bowl and then go to town on it with a pizza cutter.

It chops up everything nice and small and gets it all nicely incorporated so you get a little bit of everything in each bite.

Despite this salad feeling like a never-ending bowl, I’m still thinking that another piece of pumpkin bread is in order.

Yep, that’s enough thinking. Going to get that right NOW! Winking smile

Question for the Afternoon:

Have you ever been on the radio or TV for anything before? Would you want to or would you be too nervous?

1 janetha March 8, 2012 at 1:50 pm

How fun! I bet you sounded like a natural!

2 Laurie March 8, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Great job on your debut! And I know what you mean about the pumpkin bread — so dangerous!

3 katie Carso March 8, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Ahhhh how cool! I bet that was fun! Bet you rocked too ;)

4 Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies March 8, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Oh my gosh, using a pizza cutter is an awesome idea! We have a salad place like your Salad Creations, and I always was sad that I couldn’t replicate their bite-sized pieces… but pizza cutter?? I never even thought of that! You’re a genius :)

So glad your radio debut went well! Did you learn anything different about behind the scenes radio action that most normal people don’t know about it? Like, do the radio personalities have different voices off the air?
Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies recently posted..Still alive!

5 Julie March 8, 2012 at 2:01 pm

congrats on your debut! and good to know about the pizza cutter…that will make making salads so much easier!

6 Healthiful Balance March 8, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Sounds like such fun! :D
Healthiful Balance recently posted..Protein Powder-less Protein Pancakes

7 StoriesAndSweetPotatoes March 8, 2012 at 2:03 pm

That’s such a great opportunity. Congratulations!
StoriesAndSweetPotatoes recently posted..Chana Masala Surprise

8 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen March 8, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I was on the radio once in college. two of us were picked in a business class to talk about our experience with “family businesses” based off a paper we had written and someone mine got chosen. I remember laughing uncomfortably when the DJ complimented me on my writing and listening to it afterwards I sounded like a ditzy highschooler. Embarrassing. Also, I’m convinced my voice doesn’t sound the way it apparently does.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Basil “cheese” stuffed tomatoes

9 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 8, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Yay! Congrats! Sounds like it was a lot of fun!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..The Santa Barbara Day-Cation (Stay-cation)

10 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 8, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Congrats on the radio interview! It sounds like it went really well! I was always on the tv in college because I anchored the news on campus. I loved it. It was actually what I went to school for. I miss those days :)

Great tip with the pizza cutter for salads. Definitely going to try that!
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Dairy-Free Chicken Parmesan…

11 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 8, 2012 at 2:17 pm

That sounds like fun! I’ve never been involved with anything in the radio world, but I’ve been in the audience for TV shows before … it’s always exciting. :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Slow Cooker BBQ Beer Chicken

12 Khushboo March 8, 2012 at 2:19 pm

What fun! I’m afraid I would mix up my words on air!

13 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance March 8, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I’d be way too nervous! Looks like you had fun though :)
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Simple Sesame Noodles

14 Melissa @ Some Sugar Added March 8, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I LOVE chopped salads, but never thought to do them at home with a pizza cutter…I am totally stealing that trick!
Melissa @ Some Sugar Added recently posted..Snacky Fruit Breakfast

15 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness March 8, 2012 at 2:57 pm

So fun! You are getting famous little by little! Congrats! I once called into my favorite radio show and got on the air via my cell phone from my car, but that was pretty cool for me!
I also LOVE chopped salads. They are the best kind there is for a little taste of everything all the time. And those big pieces of lettuce are usually just a struggle anyway.
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..My New Obsession: Bring on the Figs

16 Yellow Haired Girl March 8, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I worked in radio for a year, and now my career is in television! So that’s a regular day for me :)
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..An Important Realization

17 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 8, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Congratulations!!!
Oh I LOVE chopped salads, they are so fun!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..WIAW

18 Erin March 8, 2012 at 4:22 pm

A pizza cutter!! I never would have thought to do that. What a great idea.

19 Shannon March 8, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I’ve been in the newspaper twice in pictures and I’ve never been on the TV or radio for something. I think it’d be really cool to do that; in fact, I really want to go to college for journalism, more on TV, maybe in print or both. I haven’t decided that aspect yet.

If I had my own segment on the radio, I’d be so happy- but unsure of what I’d talk about.

Congrats on your debut- you should become a regular soon! :D

20 Katie @ Plates and Paste March 8, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I did a call in interview for a radio show once for work. A little more pressure since it’s work related :) But it was fun. Since it was over the fun I guess it didn’t have the same pizzaz. Also been interviewed for TV (also for work) which wasn’t so bad either. I’m a theater gal so if I can be on stage in front of people I can certainly talk to a camera :) But it’s still a bit nervewracking thinking that so many people will see it!
Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..Painting, Food Trucks and New Sneaks

21 Meg March 8, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I want that salad it looks so yummy!!!! I bet you were awesome on the radio!! Thats such a cool opportunity!
My program’s clinic has a radio show that I kind of want to go on but need to get the courage up!!
Meg recently posted..ONE YEAR and FIRST GIVEAWAY!!!!!!

22 jasper naomi @ crunchylittlebites March 8, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Yo GO for getting on the air! I have been on this Justin Bieber kick lately where I am a nerd watching his YouTube radio interviews, I am a nerd with no shame what can I say? and this reminds me of him..you are bad ass Courtney! :)
jasper naomi @ crunchylittlebites recently posted..bangarang!

23 Claire March 8, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Congrats on your radio debut, Courtney!

I was on the radio ONCE (National Public Radio-NPR) after we had a really tragic event happen at my college. I spoke about their decision to close down the Hall where it had happened.

I didn’t know I was on the radio until a family friend let my Mom know that they had heard me the day before. I guess they replayed the segment a few times!

The banana bread sounds REALLY good right now, have an extra slice for me, K?
:-)
Claire recently posted..Bosu Conditioning

24 Arimey March 8, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Congrats on the radio debut :)

And such a great idea to use a pizza cutter for a chopped salad – you’re a genius! Now I can recreate my favorite chopped salad (the autumn from Greenhouse in Albany. A must try if you’ve never been!)

25 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake March 8, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I’ve always thought that being on the radio or on tv seemed so fun!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Working OUTdoors

26 Kelsey March 8, 2012 at 9:33 pm

way to go!!! :)

I’ve been on tv before. I LOVE it! I’m not shy at all… :)
Kelsey recently posted..Guest Post: 5 Things You Can Learn About Exercise from Little Kids

27 Jen O. March 8, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I was on the radio once in 7th grade for one of my best friends’ birthdays. Me, her and another friend of ours went to an old morning show. It’s pretty fun isn’t it?!

28 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 8, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Congrats! How fun to be on the radio!! You go Girl!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Healthy Lemon Cheesecake

29 Liz @ iheartvegetables March 8, 2012 at 10:14 pm

You’re famous! :)

30 Shari March 8, 2012 at 10:15 pm

So fun!

I was a journalism major in college, so I did on-air stuff for our campus television station. Even more exciting, though, was interning at our ABC affiliate and getting to work behind the scenes!
Shari recently posted..Taste of Spring.

31 Janiek @ A non-perfect girl March 9, 2012 at 7:04 am

Proud to say that I have been on the radio! It’s fun right?!

32 LNK March 12, 2012 at 2:25 pm

How do you put the laughing cow cheese in your eggs? do you melt it first? or just beat it in when you scramble the eggs?!

33 Courtney March 14, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I actually just add it right into the pan as the eggs are cooking and scramble it up that way. It’s super yummy!