Supersets & Super Scrumptious

by Courtney on March 19, 2012

It’s another beautiful day in the neighborhood around these parts! Highs today are reaching into the mid-70’s which is about 30 degrees above normal. All I’ve got to say is…if Mother Nature decides to bring back winter after tomorrow’s first day of spring, I will not be very happy with her. I LOVE this warm weather!

Workout

After teaching Tabata this morning (with blog reader, Amy – Heyyyy Amy!) I got to work on my own workout. Today officially kicked off week 3 and phase 2 of Tina’s Bootcamp and I was really excited to get things started. The workout on tap for today called for circuit intervals + lower body supersets.

There were three supersets which I performed 3 sets of each on, with a 5 minute cardio burst in between each superset. So things pretty much went like this:

• Superset #1
  • 5 minutes jumping rope
  • Superset #2
  • 5 minutes treadmill running
  • Superset #3
  • 5 minutes elliptical

By the time I was finished, my legs were pretty much like mush…I love it!

Breakfast

That workout seriously worked up an appetite, so I was starving by the time I got home. I really just wanted to eat whatever was in arms reach, so I was rather proud of the fact that I was able to hold off and wait for this delicious batch of pumpkin oats.

Yes, PUMPKIN oats! I had a craving, saw the can in the cabinet, and made it happen. To make today’s batch, I combined:

• 1/3 cup Coach’s Oats
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 mashed banana
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin pie spice
  • ~1/3 cup pumpkin, stirred in at the end

I added more water than usual and just let the oats continue to cook slowly over low heat, which made for a nice, voluminous bowl.

I topped things off with a serving of Honey Cinnamon PB and some Sweet Cranberry Pecan granola.

It’d been a long time since I brought out the pumpkin…almost too long…so it’s always nice to bring it back into the rotation once in a while.

*****

Lunch

The rest of my morning was jam-packed with doing things around the house and catching up on blog stuff, and before I knew it, I realized I’d better make some lunch so I’m not late for my afternoon shift at work.

Veggies have not been getting enough attention for the past few days, so a big ‘ol veggie-packed salad was definitely in order. Along with the veggies, I topped my salad with a few slices of low-sodium deli turkey, feta cheese (another one that’s been outta the loop way too long), and some EVOO + balsamic vinegar + basil, oregano, and garlic.

Super duper scrumptious. Smile

To satisfy the sweet tooth, I finished things up with a black cherry Chobani.

I’ve gotta eat these quick…Jay found out just how good they are and now he likes to try and take ‘em on me. Sneaky sneaky.

I’ve got a meeting at work this afternoon, followed by a somewhat later than usual Monday shift so I’m not really sure what’s up on the dinner front. I’ll tell ya though…if another batch of last night’s quesadillas happened to make an appearance again, I certainly wouldn’t be upset about it. Seriously, if any of you decide to make them, let me know what you think; I’m pretty convinced they may currently be the best thing since sliced bread.

Question for the Afternoon:

Any foods you’ve recently brought back into rotation after taking some time off?

1 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life March 19, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I had to take a break from plain yogurt for awhile, but now it is slowly making its way back into my meal rotation! Another food that made its way out for a while? Apples! I had one almost everyday since Sept, took a break, and now they are enjoyed almost daily again!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Carrying over the Green Theme

2 Khushboo March 19, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Quinoa! I stopped making it for a while after repeated failed attempts. I finally ‘mastered’ how to cook it and it’s back on my menu almost every other day…can’t get enough of it!
Khushboo recently posted..Time is money

3 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles March 19, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Absolutely everything I eat goes in phases— except for chocolate, it’s always somewhere on the menu throughout the day :)
I hate it when the husband steals my food when I wasn’t expecting it, like yogurt or something! I’m a tad possessive over my yogurt ;)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Brings me to tears…

4 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat March 19, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Green smoothies and iced coffee! We’ve been having warmer than normal weather that makes me crave my summer time favorites.
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..My Best Pizza Ever

5 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 19, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Just had to tell ya that I did a variation yesterday of your 25 minute no weight workout … the one that you do each move for 45 seconds and then rest for 15 seconds. I did some of the same moves that I’ve done before, and then I changed a few for some variation. Holy moly, I was dying. Thanks again for the awesome idea!! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Red Face, Purple Nails, and Green Beer.

6 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance March 19, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Was the 5 minute cardio burst in between each set your idea that you added in? I don’t remember seeing that in Tina’s instructions but maybe I read them wrong :)
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Whole Wheat Ricotta Gnocchi with Creamy Avocado Sauce

7 Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat March 19, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Just started eating grapefruits again- I forgot how good for me they are! :)
Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat recently posted..A Grapefruit A Day

8 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries March 19, 2012 at 2:44 pm

that’s funny you mentioned bringing pumpkin back into your rotation because just a couple days ago i was thinking that i needed pumpkin back in my life again! thank goodness my grocery store is still selling it, so i picked some up and have been having it in my oatmeal the last few mornings.
cottage cheese is another one that i got sick of for awhile, but i’m starting to love it again!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..A Brazilian Feast

9 Valerie @ FreshMutz March 19, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Feta makes everything betta. I take breaks from coffee every now and then and switch to green tea. Trust me, I am always so happy to let the coffee back in my life. I think it’s here to stay for awhile.
Valerie @ FreshMutz recently posted..The Music Producer’s Wife

10 Michelle@Peachy Palate March 19, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I really wish we could get canned pumpkin here all year round, it only appears in small quantities around Halloween…I’m now craving pumpkin oats and pumpkin smoothie like nobodies business! (and pumpkin bread for that matter!)
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Vegan Health Benefits

11 Lisa March 19, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Great superset workout! And I had pumpkin this morning too! Odd!I love making my oats with more water and adding chia seeds, so voluminous! It’s twice as nice when you add chia seeds and an egg/ or egg whites! ;)
Lisa recently posted..HIIT & A Workout

12 Carol @ Lucky Zucca March 19, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Your oats look so tasty!! So does your salad! Man, some days I wish I could just come eat every meal at your house. The weather has been awesome, hasn’t it?! I have the feeling we’re going to get another cold snap (I hope so- the bugs are already out in full force down here in GA!) but I bet it won’t last long! :)
Carol @ Lucky Zucca recently posted..Half-Marathon Training Review: Week 9

13 Nikki March 19, 2012 at 4:44 pm

The Pumpkin Oats look delish! Sometimes in NC they stop selling cans of pumpkin after October, I will defintiely have to check the grocery store this evening! :)
Nikki recently posted..Lesson Learned ….

14 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness March 19, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I am getting fish happy again…this weather calls for a light meal that can be flavored in so many ways.
I am so happy that David does not have an obsession with Chobani so they can be all MINE!
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..The Diet Game

15 Olivia March 19, 2012 at 5:57 pm

spinach smoothies!
Olivia recently posted..Breaking It Up

16 Shannon March 19, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Looks like you got some nice looking healthy meals today! I got more Raspberry Danishes from Entenmann’s in my breakfast cycle- they are normally $7 (?!?) but this week, I believe they were 1/2 price at Price Chopper. I already had 3 slices this morning. I missed those things!
Shannon recently posted..St. Patrick’s Day clarification, a new feature, and Lady Gaga becoming a mom?

17 Lauren March 19, 2012 at 7:45 pm

My hubby recently discovered how much he adores Chobani so now I’m buying double each week. I’m happy but yet kind of annoyed at this. :)
Lauren recently posted..Working For The Break

18 Amanda @ Let Me Be What's Underneath March 19, 2012 at 7:57 pm

What a ginormous salad–looks delicious girl! :)
Amanda @ Let Me Be What’s Underneath recently posted..Christine…

19 Amy March 19, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Tabata class = amazing I loved the work out I’ll be back! Thanks Courtney u rock

20 Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third March 19, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I actually just brought out the pumpkin this past week too… it’s been too long!
Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third recently posted..Spring Cleaning: Classroom Style!

21 Yellow Haired Girl March 19, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Actually, mine is feta too! I used to put in everything I could, and got kinda tired of it. But I’m glad it’s back in the rotation :)
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Getting This Off My Chest

22 Angela March 19, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Mmmm. Those pumpkin oats look absolutely delicious! I’m going to need to try those soon.

As for foods I’ve recently brought back into the rotation: peanut butter! I had to stop for a bit because I was too addicted, but the peanut butter fast has gone on long enough. Excited to open that jar and get my fix!

23 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 19, 2012 at 10:32 pm

I’m SERIOUSLY regretting not signing up for the boot camp!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..A Day of Fun

24 Amanda March 21, 2012 at 10:03 am

I tried this recipe for your oats this morning! I was so excited but I wrote the recipe down wrong and put 1/2 tsp each of pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Needless to say, it wasn’t quite right….. I am going to try again tomorrow! :)
Amanda recently posted..Little Kids, Big Messes

25 Courtney March 21, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Oh no! Good luck with round 2! ;)