7 Moves For Shredded Shoulders

Alright, I got MY workout in for today, and it included some serious shredded shoulders!

The workout on my schedule for today called for 30 minutes of cardio, which actually came in the form of this interval workout that Julie posted this morning. It was definitely a sweaty workout, but I loved it. Quick and challenging!

Since we’re already on the subject of workouts…I’ve actually got a new one to share with ya’ll this afternoon. (I know, two workouts in two days. Crazy, right?) Yesterday’s workout was a focus on cardio, so I’m switching things up a bit today with a focus on shoulders.

Before we know it, it’s going to be tank top wearing season (well, okay, those of you lucky enough to live in that year round don’t count), and who doesn’t want some sexy, toned shoulders to show off, right?

7 Moves For Shredded Shoulders

Shoulders are actually one of my favorite body parts, and honestly, probably one of the first things I notice on a woman. (Please don’t take that in a creepy way my friends, I’m just very observant.)

The circuit above incorporate moves to cover all three of the deltoids, which make up the muscles of the shoulder- the lateral (side), posterior (rear), and anterior (front).

source

And, of course, here are some images and descriptions for each of the moves above:

Front Raises – Standing, hold dumbbells in front of you with your palms facing your legs. Keep your elbows and knees slightly bent as you raise your arms straight in front of you to shoulder level. Slowly return to the starting position.

Lateral Raises – Standing, hold dumbbells with your palms facing each other. Keep your elbows and knees slightly bent as you raise your arms out to your sides in wide arcs to about shoulder level. Slowly return to the starting position.

Shoulder Rotations – Standing, hold dumbbells with arms together in front of body, bent at elbows, forearms waist high, palms up (like you’re holding a tray). Rotate forearms out to side, keeping elbows bent and palms up. Slowly return to the starting position.

Straight Arm Raises – Standing, hold dumbbells in front of you, palms facing inward. Keep your elbows and knees slightly bent as you raise your arms straight in front of you to shoulder level. Slowly return to the starting position.

Bent Arm Lateral Raises – Standing (or sitting on a stability ball, as shown below), hold weights in each hand, elbows bent at 90 degrees and abs contracted. Keep the elbows bent, lift the arms out to the sides to shoulder level. Slowly return to the starting position.

Deltoid Press – Stand holding dumbbells in each hand. Bring the dumbbells up to level with your shoulders, palms facing away from you. Press the dumbbells upward so that your arms are fully extended. Slowly return to the starting position, keeping dumbbells to level with your shoulders.

Front Deltoid Press – Stand holding dumbbells in each hand. Bring the dumbbells up to level with your shoulders, palms facing in. Press the dumbbells upward so that your arms are fully extended. Slowly return to the starting position, keeping dumbbells to level with your shoulders.

***Above all else, remember to keep proper form when performing each of the moves…

• Use slow and controlled motion – don’t use momentum to swing the dumbbells.
  • Keep shoulders back and down, neck neutral, with eyes straight ahead.

Now, go ahead and get those shoulders lookin’ H-O-T-T HOT! Winking smile

Comments

Awesome. I just broke my toe which means no shoes for a while, which means no cardio for a while. I was looking for some great toning/sculpting work that doesn’t require the use of my feet and this is perfect. Will be doing it today. Thanks!
    Faith recently posted..Sloth Girl

2. Kate says

I think your site is one of the best for workouts. You not only provide an awesome workout, but you show us the moves!!! I know we could google, but this is so easy. THANK YOU!!!

I need to do this! I wish I was lucky enough to not have to worry about the extra arm flab I develop over winter! Thanks for posting!

Awesome! I love working the shoulders (it can help with the illusion of a tinier waist with nice, muscular/toned shoulders)! You’re right… tank top season is going to be here any day now.. I’m so excited!
    michelle kim recently posted..Reevaluate

5. Alyssa says

I just discovered your blog and love it!!! You are such an inspiration.
    I especially like this post. Would you be able to post some more like this for other body parts as well?? The pictures and discriptions are super helpful and make for a quick awesome workout. My shoulders are on fire!!!! :):)

6. Mer says

Awesome shoulder workout! I had a nutty day at work and was about to end the day without a workout. But your shoulder routine was so straightforward and simple to pick up, that I HAD to try it. I could definitely feel it working right away. Thanks for convincing me to get in a workout today! You’re the best!

7. Annie says

haha, I only had 3 pounds dumbbells around so decided to use them anyway and boy was it hard! I have to admit I never work on my shoulders so I’ll probably still be aching! Definitely need to incorporate more shoulder moves in my workouts!

I did this workout after my run this morning, whoooo, it was killer. I only did 2 sets for time’s sake and a used a 8 lb weight. My shoulders are going to be so sore! I love it! Thanks for adding the pictures at the bottom too, they were really helpful.
    Lea recently posted..A Day.

9. Kristin says

I have been a lurker on here for a while now and love your blog but never comment but I did this shoulder circuit last night, I loved it and will be using it again. I’m definitely sore today! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you so much for this! I’m going to be wearing a strapless wedding gown in September so I was planning on working on my shoulders this summer– this workout is definitely going into the rotation!
    Marika recently posted..No-junk Lent

11. Marie says

Thank you so much for taking the time to create these workouts, explain the muscles they work, and finding sources on how to do them. You’re awesome!

12. Molly L. says

Hey Courtney- just want to say that I did the last night at the gym (only 2 sets b/c I was pressed for time) but I am already sore this AM! I love the way my shoulders get toned from Body Pump but can’t always make it to the class so I’m glad that I can spot-train them.

Thank you for sharing this workout that is easy to remember with pictures to teach us the moves- it is really appreciated!

13. eileen says

hi courtney!

when i do lateral raises, my shoulders often “pop” or i feel a crunch with each raise on both sides. there’s not much pain, but i’m wondering- is this normal or should i stop doing it?

• Courtney says

I usually consider any sort of “pop” sound as a sign to stop, especially if there’s any pain from it.

14. Jayson says

I can’t find the recipe for the Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies on your website. It is possible for you to e-mail me a hyperlink with the correct webpage for it?

15. Mer says

I love the Shredded Shoulders workout…I’m still using it as a go-to upper body routine. Thanks again!!!

Trackbacks

1. […] 2. 7 Moves for Shredded Shoulders. I wonder how many times I’ve mentioned this workout in my life.  It’s from Sweet Tooth Sweet Life and I absolutely LOVE how completing this workout 100% makes me feel!  Strong and powerful!! I ran through the circuit three times on Sunday mid-morning, when I needed a break from sitting at my desk.  My arms were shaking by the end of it; such a great challenging workout! […]

2. […] that I decided to do some new free weights that I found from Sweet Tooth Sweet Life’s Blog from the other day. She posted 7 moves for shredded shoulders. I added some sets of Front Raises, […]