7 Moves For Shredded Shoulders

by Courtney on March 27, 2012

Alright, I got MY workout in for today…did you get YOURS in yet??

The workout on my schedule for today called for 30 minutes of cardio, which actually came in the form of this interval workout that Julie posted this morning. It was definitely a sweaty workout, but I loved it. Quick and challenging!

Since we’re already on the subject of workouts…I’ve actually got a new one to share with ya’ll this afternoon. (I know, two workouts in two days. Crazy, right?) Yesterday’s workout was a focus on cardio, so I’m switching things up a bit today with a focus on shoulders.

Before we know it, it’s going to be tank top wearing season (well, okay, those of you lucky enough to live in that year round don’t count), and who doesn’t want some sexy, toned shoulders to show off, right?

7 Moves For Shredded Shoulders

Shoulders are actually one of my favorite body parts, and honestly, probably one of the first things I notice on a woman. (Please don’t take that in a creepy way my friends, I’m just very observant.)

The circuit above incorporate moves to cover all three of the deltoids, which make up the muscles of the shoulder- the lateral (side), posterior (rear), and anterior (front).

source

And, of course, here are some images and descriptions for each of the moves above:

Front Raises - Standing, hold dumbbells in front of you with your palms facing your legs. Keep your elbows and knees slightly bent as you raise your arms straight in front of you to shoulder level. Slowly return to the starting position.

Lateral Raises - Standing, hold dumbbells with your palms facing each other. Keep your elbows and knees slightly bent as you raise your arms out to your sides in wide arcs to about shoulder level. Slowly return to the starting position.

Shoulder Rotations – Standing, hold dumbbells with arms together in front of body, bent at elbows, forearms waist high, palms up (like you’re holding a tray). Rotate forearms out to side, keeping elbows bent and palms up. Slowly return to the starting position.

Straight Arm Raises - Standing, hold dumbbells in front of you, palms facing inward. Keep your elbows and knees slightly bent as you raise your arms straight in front of you to shoulder level. Slowly return to the starting position.

Bent Arm Lateral Raises – Standing (or sitting on a stability ball, as shown below), hold weights in each hand, elbows bent at 90 degrees and abs contracted. Keep the elbows bent, lift the arms out to the sides to shoulder level. Slowly return to the starting position.

Deltoid Press - Stand holding dumbbells in each hand. Bring the dumbbells up to level with your shoulders, palms facing away from you. Press the dumbbells upward so that your arms are fully extended. Slowly return to the starting position, keeping dumbbells to level with your shoulders.

Front Deltoid Press - Stand holding dumbbells in each hand. Bring the dumbbells up to level with your shoulders, palms facing in. Press the dumbbells upward so that your arms are fully extended. Slowly return to the starting position, keeping dumbbells to level with your shoulders.

***Above all else, remember to keep proper form when performing each of the moves…

• Use slow and controlled motion – don’t use momentum to swing the dumbbells.
  • Keep shoulders back and down, neck neutral, with eyes straight ahead.

Now, go ahead and get those shoulders lookin’ H-O-T-T HOT! Winking smile

1 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 27, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Thank you for posting pictures!! That helps a lot! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Whose grocery cart is this?!

2 Faith @ For the Health of It March 27, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Thank you SO much for adding the visuals for each exercise at the bottom. I rarely remember what each exercise is named and having to google them separately takes so long…love how easy this makes it!

3 Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 27, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Great looking workout. SHoulders are so much fun to train! Love ‘em!
Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Elliptical Workout 1

4 Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction March 27, 2012 at 3:05 pm

What a great idea for the upcoming summer! I must say these posts really do motivate me to get moving and try your stuff! I really like that you included pictures and explanations for the moves too. Thanks :)
Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction recently posted..Sick of Being Sick!

5 StoriesAndSweetPotatoes March 27, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Ohhh straight arm raises are one I haven’t done. Hitting shoulders in two more days. They need more rest :)

6 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance March 27, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I love these – I never really think about working my shoulders. I can do all of these at home too!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Easy Grilled Marinated Swordfish

7 janetha March 27, 2012 at 3:11 pm

shoulder day is my FAVORITE! seriously, love it. this is a great circuit! i love all these moves. i really love upright rows for some reason, too.
janetha recently posted..wins & losses.

8 Lisa @ Jogging on Coffee March 27, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Thank you so much for this, the pictures are super helpful! Shoulders are my favorite part to work out, mostly because its where I see a difference the quickest. I’ll be doing this tonight :)

9 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat March 27, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I love working the shoulders, too! Lateral raises are killer!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Lightening Up – Creamy Lemon Pasta

10 Faith March 27, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Awesome. I just broke my toe which means no shoes for a while, which means no cardio for a while. I was looking for some great toning/sculpting work that doesn’t require the use of my feet and this is perfect. Will be doing it today. Thanks!
Faith recently posted..Sloth Girl

11 Kate March 27, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I think your site is one of the best for workouts. You not only provide an awesome workout, but you show us the moves!!! I know we could google, but this is so easy. THANK YOU!!!

12 Heather March 27, 2012 at 3:21 pm

printing this out to do tonight after my run :)
BOOYAH! thanks, trainer super star!
Heather recently posted..In the Midst of All the Emotions, Chaos and Commotions

13 Yellow Haired Girl March 27, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Not creepy at all – I love shoulders too :) I did a shoulder workout yesterday morning and they’re SORE today … can’t wait to rock a tank top soooooooon!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..You Know…

14 Lena @Fit on the Rocks March 27, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I notice shoulders first, too! Awesome workout…I will be adding this on for sure.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..A Snug Run

15 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life March 27, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I love that you included the pictures with the names! There are so many work outs I would love to do and bookmark, but when I get to the gym I don’t have time to look up each move. Can’t wait to try this work out! :-)
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Rubber Ducky, You’re the One

16 Lindsay @ Fuel My Family March 27, 2012 at 3:42 pm

shoulders are something I don’t usually focus on for some reason. But it is tank top season soon so I need to get on it I guess
Lindsay @ Fuel My Family recently posted..Weekend Eating

17 Emily March 27, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I need to do this! I wish I was lucky enough to not have to worry about the extra arm flab I develop over winter! Thanks for posting!

18 Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat March 27, 2012 at 4:35 pm

LOVE training shoulders!!! We did Farmers Walks in CrossFit last night- lets just say my traps a bit sore today! :)
Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat recently posted..Spaghetti Squash Bake

19 Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit March 27, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Shoulders are my favorite! I feel like no matter what body part plan I go into the gym with, some part of my shoulders inevitably get worked out. Love this circuit, definitely going to try it this week.

20 Diana March 27, 2012 at 5:11 pm

WOO I love your workouts, thanks for sharing girl! And I, too, appreciate a good shoulder in the summertime! :)
Diana recently posted..Sneaky spinach

21 Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third March 27, 2012 at 5:15 pm

I’m so horrible with doing shoulder workouts… I hate them! I know it is because they are my weakest body parts… hopefully this workout will help change that! :)
Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third recently posted..Birthday Sunday

22 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com March 27, 2012 at 5:18 pm

ohhh i love this because i am constantly nit picking on my arms! and since tank top season is coming this is the perfect thing to start now! thanks girl, as always, so helpful!

23 Michelle @ Blogitness March 27, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Great workout!
Michelle @ Blogitness recently posted..Chocolate Peanut Butter Vanilla Smoothie

24 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles March 27, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Getting ready to do this now! I have a feeling my arms will be deemed useless after this workout. :)
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..Salad Spinner Giveaway

25 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen March 27, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I love shoulder moves, they’re always killer and they really do make a difference for tank top season :)
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Creamy orange spiked wheatberry pudding

26 michelle kim March 27, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Awesome! I love working the shoulders (it can help with the illusion of a tinier waist with nice, muscular/toned shoulders)! You’re right… tank top season is going to be here any day now.. I’m so excited!
michelle kim recently posted..Reevaluate

27 Alyssa March 27, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I just discovered your blog and love it!!! You are such an inspiration.
I especially like this post. Would you be able to post some more like this for other body parts as well?? The pictures and discriptions are super helpful and make for a quick awesome workout. My shoulders are on fire!!!! :):)

28 Alaina March 27, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Shoulders are definitely something I need to work on. Thank you for posting this awesome workout!! :-)
Alaina recently posted..Blog Buddies & Dinner at Harvest

29 Kim @ The Family Practice March 27, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I love shoulders too – I think a lot of people forget to work on them but even just a little lifting helps shape them up so much :)
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..3 Week Arm Weights Challenge

30 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 27, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I LOVE cut shoulders!!! Meaning.. on me haha! I used to work them all the time but it’s fallen by the wayside… I will definitely be trying out some of these moves!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..“Feel the Burn”

31 Kyla March 27, 2012 at 10:51 pm

It helps a lot. Thanks for posting the picture.
Kyla recently posted..Low Carb Diet Plans for Men

32 Mer March 27, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Awesome shoulder workout! I had a nutty day at work and was about to end the day without a workout. But your shoulder routine was so straightforward and simple to pick up, that I HAD to try it. I could definitely feel it working right away. Thanks for convincing me to get in a workout today! You’re the best!

33 Khushboo March 28, 2012 at 1:02 am

If you sound creepy I guess I do too- toned shoulders are HOT!
Khushboo recently posted..The Hunger Games hype

34 Miz March 28, 2012 at 5:52 am

Im late but this works perfectly as today is cardio and (waitforit :)) shoulders.
Miz recently posted..Wordless Wednessday: before and after?

35 Annie March 28, 2012 at 8:49 am

haha, I only had 3 pounds dumbbells around so decided to use them anyway and boy was it hard! I have to admit I never work on my shoulders so I’ll probably still be aching! Definitely need to incorporate more shoulder moves in my workouts!

36 Lea March 28, 2012 at 11:23 am

I did this workout after my run this morning, whoooo, it was killer. I only did 2 sets for time’s sake and a used a 8 lb weight. My shoulders are going to be so sore! I love it! Thanks for adding the pictures at the bottom too, they were really helpful.
Lea recently posted..A Day.

37 Kristin March 28, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I have been a lurker on here for a while now and love your blog but never comment but I did this shoulder circuit last night, I loved it and will be using it again. I’m definitely sore today! Thanks for sharing!

38 Courtney March 28, 2012 at 2:37 pm

YAY! Thanks for coming out of “lurker” status, Kristin! Glad you liked it :)

39 Ali @ Around the VeggieTable March 28, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I like that you added pics…very helpful :)
Ali @ Around the VeggieTable recently posted..Ants in my Pants

40 Marika March 29, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Thank you so much for this! I’m going to be wearing a strapless wedding gown in September so I was planning on working on my shoulders this summer– this workout is definitely going into the rotation!
Marika recently posted..No-junk Lent

41 Marie March 29, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to create these workouts, explain the muscles they work, and finding sources on how to do them. You’re awesome!

42 A. V. March 29, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Just tried this workout–wow! I felt the burn! Thanks for incorporating the pictures, it really helped!

43 Molly L. April 3, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Hey Courtney- just want to say that I did the last night at the gym (only 2 sets b/c I was pressed for time) but I am already sore this AM! I love the way my shoulders get toned from Body Pump but can’t always make it to the class so I’m glad that I can spot-train them.

Thank you for sharing this workout that is easy to remember with pictures to teach us the moves- it is really appreciated!

44 Sandra92 April 4, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I pretty love this kind of exercises, and this Bent Arm Lateral Raises is very interesting…
Sandra92 recently posted..Unlock iPhone 4

45 eileen June 15, 2012 at 4:01 pm

hi courtney!

when i do lateral raises, my shoulders often “pop” or i feel a crunch with each raise on both sides. there’s not much pain, but i’m wondering- is this normal or should i stop doing it?

46 Courtney June 15, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I usually consider any sort of “pop” sound as a sign to stop, especially if there’s any pain from it.

47 Jayson July 4, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I can’t find the recipe for the Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies on your website. It is possible for you to e-mail me a hyperlink with the correct webpage for it?

48 Courtney July 5, 2012 at 1:50 pm
49 Mer July 24, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I love the Shredded Shoulders workout…I’m still using it as a go-to upper body routine. Thanks again!!!