Zucchini Banana Chocolate Chip Bread

by Courtney on April 17, 2012

Finally!

I suppose I’ve made you guys wait for long enough now, huh? I was really hoping to share this with you all yesterday, but I ran out of time to finish the post before having to head back to work. I swear, I wasn’t procrastinating on Pinterest or anything…

zucchini banana bread (5)

I’m sure by now you know that I did a little bit of baking on Sunday. I’d been wanting to bake something – anything – for a while now but just couldn’t quite figure out what. If I baked cookies or cupcakes, I’d inevitably end up making the full-fat version, and then be stuck with them in the house. Recipe for danger right there, my friends.

zucchini banana bread (3)

But then, as I was reading through a few of my older posts, I came across my recipe for Pumpkin Banana Bread, which immediately sparked a craving. Bread was good- not only could I healthify that, but I could incorporate it into any of my meals without feeling guilty about tacking on extra sweets. Well, at least that’s how I look at it…

zucchini banana bread (7)

Rather than making just another batch of my pumpkin bread though, I decided to do a little bit of experimenting. I had just picked up some zucchini at the grocery store that morning and, believe it or not, I’ve never attempted to bake with it. Is that crazy?

Combine that with the fact that I had some overly ripe bananas sitting on my kitchen counter, and I had myself a plan of attack. The extra chocolate chips just happened to be a last minute bonus. Winking smile

zucchini banana bread (6)

*****

In case you’re curious about its nutrition stats, here’s the 411 on that:

zucchini banana chocolate chip nutrition-001

And if you decide to omit the chocolate chips, you’re crazy each serving will reduce to 141 calories and 0.8g fat.

Despite the fact that my loaf did sink a bit in the middle after baking, it’s still crazy delicious. I can’t believe I had waited so long to bake with zucchini!

zucchini banana bread

Unfortunately, I think the whole “zucchini in bread” thing weirds Jay out a bit, so he won’t be digging into it anytime soon. Crazy man.

I guess that just means that I’m going to have to tackle this entire loaf on my own…?

Awww, shucks. Winking smile

1 Amy B @ Second City Randomness April 17, 2012 at 1:03 pm

An old roommate of mine always made the BEST zucchini bread. She even sent me some in the mail after she moved. Best gift ever.

I’ve never made it on my own, but it’s something I think I’ll attempt if my mom ever sends up massive amounts of zucchini from her garden…
Amy B @ Second City Randomness recently posted..Cupcakes For Any Occasion

2 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries April 17, 2012 at 1:04 pm

i was pretty close on my guess the other day! just left out the bananas. ;) this looks awesome! i LOVE zucchini bread. my grandma has a recipe that i absolutely love. looking forward to trying this one out too!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Trainer Tuesday: Lower Body Pyramid Workout

3 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance April 17, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I love baking with zucchini! Zucchini is so easy to “hide” in things – you can never taste it!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Whole Wheat Homemade Cheez-Its

4 Renee April 17, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Looks delicious! I can’t wait to make it.
Renee recently posted..Homemade Naan Bread

5 Khushboo April 17, 2012 at 1:10 pm

And this whole time i thought it was blueberry cake…whch would have been a fail for me due to the lack of blueberry availability in Mumbai! Love the sound of this, especially the chocolate chips ;). Any idea what I could use in lieu of WW pastry flour?
Khushboo recently posted..Love – Hate Relationship

6 Courtney April 17, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I think just regular whole wheat flour would be fine :)

7 chelcie @ chelcie's food files April 17, 2012 at 1:14 pm

mmm I love baked zucchini breads I am definitely going to give this recipe a try!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Edamame Fried Rice-Healthy and Easy!

8 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride April 17, 2012 at 1:14 pm

haha I can’t believe I thought i was pistachio. I LOVE zucchinni bread! My favorite muffin is actually a zuchinni nut muffin – so moist and I pretend it’s super duper healthy. Yum.
Caitlin @ This Bride’s Joyride recently posted..Vision board number 2

9 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 17, 2012 at 1:15 pm

My guess was pistachio chocolate chip – but this will definitely do! ;)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Spinach and Cheddar Baked Quinoa

10 Bri April 17, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I make chocolate chip zucchini bread quite often- it’s SO good!! Excited to try this recipe out.

11 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third April 17, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I love baking with zucchini to make bread but never thought of throwing in some chocolate chips!! Looks awesome, can’t wait to devour this! :)

12 Kaelin April 17, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I love zucchini bread, thanks for sharing this recipe!!!

I grow zucchini in my garden every summer and by the end of the season, I have zucchini up to my elbows. Baking with them is a great way to use them up when my family gets tired of zucchini with every meal!

I also snagged a chocolate cake recipe that used zucchini, can’t wait to try that later this summer too!

13 Brandi April 17, 2012 at 1:29 pm

This looks amazing! :) Can you use regular wheat flour to make it?

14 Courtney April 17, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I would definitely think so!

15 Patty April 17, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Aww I can’t wait for summer. Our garden always has tons of zucchini and we throw it in everything. I love zucchini bread. Thanks for this recipe, gonna have to give this one a try.

I recommend trying zucchini chocolate chip cookies….they are sooo good.

16 Courtney April 17, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I’m trying out the whole growing zucchini thing this year too! We’ll see how that goes, haha

17 Courtney April 17, 2012 at 1:46 pm

OH, and cookies?!? Do you have a recipe? :)

18 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope April 17, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I’ve never used zucchini in baking before but I’ve always wanted to. This bread looks delicious! :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..4 Months Away…

19 Melissa April 17, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Ah, the benefits of the husband’s limited palette. ;) I recently made banana bread with peanut flour (so it’s like peanut butter banana bread) and it was SO moist! I realized afterward that I had forgotten to add sugar, but it was still delish. You should definitely try out the peanut flour. It’s awesome!
Melissa recently posted..Cashew Butter: Do It

20 Courtney April 17, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Hmmmm, that DOES sound good! Love me some peanut butter :)

21 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health April 17, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Oh wow does that look amazing! I’ve never baked with zucchini either. Do you leave the skin on it?? I need to make a healthy bread here soon to have around as a snack and a side to a meal :)
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Boston Marathon

22 Courtney April 17, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Yup, skin was on!

23 Alaina April 17, 2012 at 1:46 pm

If Jay doesn’t want it, you can send it over to me. :-)

I love making breads like this! And I’ve never baked with zucchini either.
Alaina recently posted..Prepping for the Races

24 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 17, 2012 at 1:47 pm

He IS crazy! You can’t taste the zucchini at all in the bread … it just makes it so nice and moist! This looks delicious, Courtney! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..A British Invasion.

25 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 17, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I still have yet to use yogurt in my baking, I really need to try it out! Your bread looks delicious!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Veggies for Breakfast

26 Meredith @ DareYouTo April 17, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Haha FINALLY! Yum, looks so good. Thank you!
Meredith @ DareYouTo recently posted..Pretend you’re PALEO

27 Molly from LifesLemonsbyMolly April 17, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Homemade breads are good to make because they are hard to sneak bites out of and you can tell how much you’ve eaten. Cookies on the other hand are easy to down and you can forget how many you’ve had.

28 Danica @ It's Progression April 17, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I thought I saw zucchini in the bread–it looks delicious, and now I have a craving! : )
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..the Enjoy Your Food challenge

29 Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction April 17, 2012 at 2:25 pm

That looks yummy! I love Zuchinni Bread… I grow it in the garden and then shred it and store in the freezer to use in bread! I definitely will try this recipe! My brother in law is the same way with zuchinni – he will not even eat it normally, he just does not like the look of it.
Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction recently posted..A Little D.C. & Catch Up

30 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life April 17, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Yum I love zucchini bread, banana bread, and chocolate chips, do this is obviously right up my alley! I love that it’s healthy(er) too! :-)
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Beautiful Bride

31 Yellow Haired Girl April 17, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I love baking with zucchini – I definitely don’t do it enough. It’s about time you shared this recipe, lady! Looks amazing :)
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Grocery Shopping Pet Peeves

32 Carissa April 17, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Looks amazing! I will have to put this on my “to make” list once I’m off this clean eating phase. Does the zucchini change the flavor?
Carissa recently posted..Homemade Hummus

33 Kristin April 17, 2012 at 2:58 pm

MMMMMM looks delish – cant wait to make it

34 Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat April 17, 2012 at 3:27 pm

YUM!
Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat recently posted..Defining Faith

35 Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat April 17, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Question- I see you use white flour a lot when baking……why just use 100% Whole Wheat?
Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat recently posted..Defining Faith

36 Courtney April 17, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I like to use a mix of both, like I did here. I like the texture better and it usually increases the chances of Jay eating it :)

37 Jen M. April 17, 2012 at 3:39 pm

YUM!! I love zucchini in pretty much everything, my mom makes a fantastic chocolate zucchini cake. But breads are more my style (I make them in small loaf pans and then pop one in the freezer for later)!

Quick question — did you squeeze out the moisture from the zucchini before adding to your batter? Sometimes in zucchini baking you have to or it throws the consistency off. I just wanted to clarify before I try this one!

38 Courtney April 17, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I actually did not…perhaps that’s why it sunk a little?

39 Shana April 17, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Did you use a website to plug in the nutrition info?
Shana recently posted..The Wizard of Lawn

40 Courtney April 17, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Yup, sparkpeople.com!

41 michelle kim April 17, 2012 at 5:18 pm

YUM! Looks delicious!
Glad you get to have the whole loaf to yourself. You should put zucchini in everything ;) hehehe
michelle kim recently posted..Darkness

42 Brittany @ Delights and Delectables April 17, 2012 at 8:14 pm

This looks delicious! I’m allergic to milk.. do you think I could use applesauce to replace the yogurt??
Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted..My Personality

43 Courtney April 17, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I’d say its worth a shot!

44 Kim @ The Family Practice April 17, 2012 at 8:27 pm

What a brilliant combo! Sounds soooo delish

45 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction April 17, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I’ve never baked anything with zucchini before but I’ve always wanted to try! This recipe looks scrumptious, now I’m in the mood for some bread too!!!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Life Lessons From Santo

46 Lili August 10, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I made this bread, amazing.. My first time ever including zuchini, love it … Thanks for the delicious recipee…wanted to post a pic, but dont know how..