Zucchini Banana Chocolate Chip Bread

Finally!

I suppose I’ve made you guys wait for long enough now, huh? I was really hoping to share this with you all yesterday, but I ran out of time to finish the post before having to head back to work. I swear, I wasn’t procrastinating on Pinterest or anything…

zucchini banana bread (5)

I’m sure by now you know that I did a little bit of baking on Sunday. I’d been wanting to bake something – anything – for a while now but just couldn’t quite figure out what. If I baked cookies or cupcakes, I’d inevitably end up making the full-fat version, and then be stuck with them in the house. Recipe for danger right there, my friends.

zucchini banana bread (3)

But then, as I was reading through a few of my older posts, I came across my recipe for Pumpkin Banana Bread, which immediately sparked a craving. Bread was good- not only could I healthify that, but I could incorporate it into any of my meals without feeling guilty about tacking on extra sweets. Well, at least that’s how I look at it…

zucchini banana bread (7)

Rather than making just another batch of my pumpkin bread though, I decided to do a little bit of experimenting. I had just picked up some zucchini at the grocery store that morning and, believe it or not, I’ve never attempted to bake with it. Is that crazy?

Combine that with the fact that I had some overly ripe bananas sitting on my kitchen counter, and I had myself a plan of attack. The extra chocolate chips just happened to be a last minute bonus. Winking smile

zucchini banana bread (6)

*****

In case you’re curious about its nutrition stats, here’s the 411 on that:

zucchini banana chocolate chip nutrition-001

And if you decide to omit the chocolate chips, you’re crazy each serving will reduce to 141 calories and 0.8g fat.

Despite the fact that my loaf did sink a bit in the middle after baking, it’s still crazy delicious. I can’t believe I had waited so long to bake with zucchini!

zucchini banana bread

Unfortunately, I think the whole “zucchini in bread” thing weirds Jay out a bit, so he won’t be digging into it anytime soon. Crazy man.

I guess that just means that I’m going to have to tackle this entire loaf on my own…?

Awww, shucks. Winking smile

Comments

1. Khushboo says

And this whole time i thought it was blueberry cake…whch would have been a fail for me due to the lack of blueberry availability in Mumbai! Love the sound of this, especially the chocolate chips ;). Any idea what I could use in lieu of WW pastry flour?
    Khushboo recently posted..Love – Hate Relationship

2. Kaelin says

I love zucchini bread, thanks for sharing this recipe!!!

I grow zucchini in my garden every summer and by the end of the season, I have zucchini up to my elbows. Baking with them is a great way to use them up when my family gets tired of zucchini with every meal!

I also snagged a chocolate cake recipe that used zucchini, can’t wait to try that later this summer too!

3. Patty says

Aww I can’t wait for summer. Our garden always has tons of zucchini and we throw it in everything. I love zucchini bread. Thanks for this recipe, gonna have to give this one a try.

I recommend trying zucchini chocolate chip cookies….they are sooo good.

Ah, the benefits of the husband’s limited palette. ;) I recently made banana bread with peanut flour (so it’s like peanut butter banana bread) and it was SO moist! I realized afterward that I had forgotten to add sugar, but it was still delish. You should definitely try out the peanut flour. It’s awesome!
    Melissa recently posted..Cashew Butter: Do It

• Courtney says

I like to use a mix of both, like I did here. I like the texture better and it usually increases the chances of Jay eating it :)

5. Jen M. says

YUM!! I love zucchini in pretty much everything, my mom makes a fantastic chocolate zucchini cake. But breads are more my style (I make them in small loaf pans and then pop one in the freezer for later)!

Quick question — did you squeeze out the moisture from the zucchini before adding to your batter? Sometimes in zucchini baking you have to or it throws the consistency off. I just wanted to clarify before I try this one!

6. Lili says

I made this bread, amazing.. My first time ever including zuchini, love it … Thanks for the delicious recipee…wanted to post a pic, but dont know how..

Trackbacks