Healthy Chicken Parmesan Burgers

by Courtney on April 24, 2012

Last night was a MAJOR success in our house. Let me explain…

Nine times out of 10 when I mention buying ground chicken to the hubby, I almost always get an immediate turn up of the nose and an “ughhh, you know I hate ground chicken…that’s gross.”

But the other day, Jay came home from work and was telling me how one of his co-workers makes these “really awesome” chicken burgers. We got to talking about it some more, so I asked him…if I tried to make some of my own, would he eat them? I got a half-hearted “I guess so,” which only amped my determination to make these things amazing.

One of the kinds of burgers that Jay mentioned was a chicken parm burger. Was he serious? I mean, talk about perfection. So I took a container of my homemade sauce out of the freezer, brainstormed some seasonings, and got to work.

And now, I am happy to announce that I have finally come up with a way to get the hubby to eat ground chicken…and absolutely enjoy it.

Actually, not even just “enjoy” it – he LOVED it. And ohh, goodness gracious, so did I!

chicken parm burger

*****

First, get all of your chicken burger ingredients together.

chicken parm burger ingredients

Mix well until thoroughly combined.

Form into four patties (*placing on wax paper will help prevent extra sticking) and refrigerate 30 minutes.

Don’t forget to create that well in the center…it will help prevent your burger from cooking up into a big puff ball.

Top cooked burgers with mozzarella cheese and allow to melt while toasting your hamburger buns (*I definitely recommend doing this step!). Spread buns with extra marinara sauce, top with burger, and VOILA!

You’ve got yourself one amazing, and somewhat healthier(!) chicken parmesan burger.

Here’s the approximate stats on the burgers, NOT including the bun…

chicken parm burger nutrition

We served our burgers alongside some Italian-style green beans, made using fresh green beans, a little chopped onion, garlic, EVOO, and Italian-style diced tomatoes.

Neither of us could get over just how good these burgers are. Seriously. The seasoning was just enough to “mask the taste” of the ground chicken that Jay usually despises, and the toasted buns with garlic seasoning is definitely a step that should not be skipped. Since we were having the ground chicken, I let Jay choose which kind of buns he wanted, so he went with potato rolls. So, so good.

All I’ll say is…you NEED to try these burgers.

I’m pretty sure we just opened up a whole new can of possibilities with ground chicken around here. Smile

1 Michelle@PeachyPalate April 24, 2012 at 9:08 am

If I wasn’t vegan I would try them! Great pics and great recipe post missus. I will be making myself some Italian Green Beans for sure!
Michelle@PeachyPalate recently posted..Pecan Pie Oats

2 Sarah April 24, 2012 at 9:10 am

These look great! Thanks for the tip about the well too – I have always had that problem with my burgers in the past!
Sarah recently posted..Thankful Things Monday?

3 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride April 24, 2012 at 9:10 am

These look and sound delicious! I am always trying to find alternative to just grilled chicken so I’m definitely trying this recipe!

4 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries April 24, 2012 at 9:10 am

oh my goodness gracious – YUM! my husband says the same exact thing about ground chicken and turkey, so i’ll have to give these a whirl! i hope i get the same reaction out of him as your hubby! :)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Listening To My Body

5 chelcie @ chelcie's food files April 24, 2012 at 9:11 am

I love making turkey burgers but I have never tried making turkey burgers..these look delicious!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Grilled Pineapple Guacamole

6 Jill @ Jill is Active April 24, 2012 at 9:12 am

Those look deliciousss and I RARELY have chicken parm. I love ground chicken because it is so much healthier but there’s so much you can do with it. These look like a must try! :)

7 Miz April 24, 2012 at 9:12 am

(tweet tweet :))
Miz recently posted..It’s BADMINTON time, Baby!

8 Becca April 24, 2012 at 9:13 am

Wow! The burgers look great!!! I’m sure they are full of flavor :) they are now on my must try list. Yum.

9 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 24, 2012 at 9:13 am

way to fool him! ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fear No More

10 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie April 24, 2012 at 9:13 am

Oh my gosh, I am making this entire meal, including the green beans. Perfect for the weather warming up!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..My Favorite Things

11 Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona April 24, 2012 at 9:15 am

These look so good – and relatively easy to make too. I might have to try them.
Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona recently posted..No Fear

12 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third April 24, 2012 at 9:15 am

I’m always looking for a new turkey or chicken burger recipe and this looks PERFECT! I’m already planning them for Sunday…. Yessss can’t wait! :)
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..I Need Your Advice!

13 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 24, 2012 at 9:17 am

I am so trying these when I get a good, working stove back … they look amazing!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Slow-Cooker Black Bean Enchiladas

14 Cait @ Beyond Bananas April 24, 2012 at 9:19 am

These look delicious! Will be starring this post to make sometime soon!
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..Two For Tuesday ….

15 Courtney April 24, 2012 at 9:20 am

Oh my goodness. I bought ground chicken this week for tacos, but scratch that. It’s burger time. Thanks for sharing. Your recipes are always the best!!
Courtney recently posted..Off to a Running Start

16 krystal @coffeecardiogoddess April 24, 2012 at 9:24 am

Now thats definately a meal my husband would be on board with! Looks delicious!
krystal @coffeecardiogoddess recently posted..Dinner and Candle Hoarding

17 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope April 24, 2012 at 9:31 am

These burgers look amazing! :) I’m always looking for an alternative from ground beef for burgers. I definitely want to try this.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Long Overdue…

18 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! April 24, 2012 at 9:36 am

those look fabulous! what a great idea!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Peanut Butter Banana Muffins

19 Kendra April 24, 2012 at 9:40 am

creating a dent in the center is genius! my burgers on the grill (chicken, turkey, beef) always end up like a ball. thank you!!

20 Yellow Haired Girl April 24, 2012 at 9:41 am

These look phenomenal! One of my meals is chicken parm … and of course I loooove burgers!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Your Future Self

21 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine April 24, 2012 at 9:44 am

I LOVE chicken burgers. You should check out Trader Joe’s Chili Lime Chicken Burgers – they are fantastic!
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Restaurant Review – Sawasdee Thai – Raleigh, NC

22 Kerry @ Half Healthy, Half Nuts April 24, 2012 at 9:46 am

I think I know what I will be trying for dinner tonight. These looking amazing!!
Kerry @ Half Healthy, Half Nuts recently posted..FMM: Q&A

23 Elizabeth @ Chocolate Drops and Pearls April 24, 2012 at 9:50 am

I want one right now even though it is 8:50 in the morning. I will be definitely making these in the future.
Elizabeth @ Chocolate Drops and Pearls recently posted..What I did Instead of Going to the Gym

24 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance April 24, 2012 at 9:53 am

I want to try these! And I’ve never heard of making a well in the middle of the burger – that’s such a good idea. I hate it when my burgers end up like balls almost.
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Sweet Potato Burritos with Mexican Brown Rice

25 Nicole April 24, 2012 at 10:01 am

Nice! I just picked up some ground chicken the other day. I’ll def be making these!

Homemade chicken burgers are a fan favorite in our house…I like to mix in spinach and sun-dried tomatoes, and top it with homemade balsamic glaze! My hubby likes his with brocooli rabe and fresh mozzarella. The possibilities are endless! :)

26 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen April 24, 2012 at 10:02 am

I just learned that “well” trick last week, how did I not know about that before?! These look amazing. I’ll admit, I kinda felt the same way as Jay about ground chicken before seeing these but I’m pretty sure this would solve that dilemma.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..No bake brownie fudge balls

27 Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) April 24, 2012 at 10:10 am

I’m a little weird about ground chicken, too, but these look awesome! Did you grill them or cook them inside?

28 Courtney April 24, 2012 at 11:00 am

We grilled them outside :)

29 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy April 24, 2012 at 10:18 am

Yum! Those look so good…and such a great alternative to hamburgers in the summertime, which I’m not crazy about!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..The Name Change Debate

30 Melissa April 24, 2012 at 10:22 am

You have outdone yourself! These look incredible!!!
Melissa recently posted..{happy}

31 Khushboo April 24, 2012 at 10:27 am

I have no doubt I will love these…parmesan + marinara sauce is always a good idea!
Khushboo recently posted..Finding YOUR “Fit”

32 Steph @ StephSnacks April 24, 2012 at 10:31 am

These look BEYOND awesome. Can’t wait to try ‘em!
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..Guayoyo

33 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life April 24, 2012 at 10:39 am

These sound delicious! I love chicken parm and it looks like these sandwiches would be right up my alley!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Messy Joe’s

34 Jess April 24, 2012 at 10:49 am

Looks delish! Here are a couple tips that I’ve found help to keep ground chicken and turkey flavorful and juicy… 1 – Grate onions and garlic instead of chopping. The extra liquid keeps the meat moist. 2 – Add worcestershire sauce; just a tablespoon or so. It adds a really yummy flavor that reminds me of eating beef without the extra fat! 3 – Add sauteed veggies. Anything your heart desires…just chop it up small, saute until alittle brown around the edges, let cool and add to the meat. Because of these things my hubby prefers turkey meatloaf over beef these days and can’t tell the difference between beef/veal/pork meatballs and turkey ones! Hope this helps to convert the hubbys out there :)

35 Courtney April 24, 2012 at 11:00 am

Wow, thanks for the tips Jess! They all sound great! :)

36 Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony April 24, 2012 at 10:53 am

Those look like they could become a new favorite of ours! Any suggestions for those who need to eat gluten free and can not have the breadcrumbs?
Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony recently posted..Flax Seed Bread

37 Courtney April 24, 2012 at 11:08 am

Hmmm…do they make gluten free breadcrumbs? If not, you could probably try ground corn flakes or any other gluten-free items (bread, pretzels, etc.) that are ground up?

38 Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony April 24, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Good ideas! I’m thinking the breadcrumbs act like a binder, so maybe using an egg instead? Almost like a meatloaf or meatball…I’ll definitely be experimenting!
Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony recently posted..Let Them Have Pie

39 Olivia April 24, 2012 at 10:54 am

those do look great, though i gotta say i only love ground beef or turkey. ground chicken and pork just weird me out.
Olivia recently posted..Chilly Day

40 Renee April 24, 2012 at 11:08 am

These look so good, I’m with your husband I don’t love ground chicken. These puppies might change my mind!

Question for you… do you use a website/widget to figure out the nutrition facts? I just started noticing you have been posting them. I have a recipe I made and I’m dying to know how many horrible calories are in it!
Renee recently posted..Terrific Tuesday Finds- April 24

41 Courtney April 24, 2012 at 11:09 am

Yup! I use this recipe calculator from SparkPeople: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp

42 Renee April 24, 2012 at 11:23 am

Amazing! Thank you Courtney! Also question #2 are you going to the FitblogNYC event on May9th?
Renee recently posted..Terrific Tuesday Finds- April 24

43 Courtney April 24, 2012 at 11:24 am

The Fitness magazine one? Yes, ma’am! :)

44 Renee April 24, 2012 at 11:26 am

Yes the Fitness magazine one! I’m going too! You just became #1 on my people I must meet list! :) Can’t wait!!
Renee recently posted..Terrific Tuesday Finds- April 24

45 Liz @ Tip Top Shape April 24, 2012 at 11:10 am

Ooohh these look god!! I love chicken parmesan — so I’m sure I would LOVE it in burger form!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Funfetti Fudge

46 Courtney April 24, 2012 at 11:17 am

This reminds me of my household. I was trying to eat healthier so I suggested turkey burgers but my husband was not thrilled with the idea. I had to figure out all sorts of stuff and seasonings to mix with the ground turkey. In the end I got a thumbs up and they are now on our summer menu rotation!! Definitely going to try the chicken parm burger though. Sounds yummy!

47 Justine @ Life With Cheeseburgers April 24, 2012 at 11:18 am

Mmm. Must try this recipe for the hubby. I think I need to be a better wife and start making more things for him for dinner, instead of all the sweet protein concoctions I’ve been making for my blog (and me!) for post-workout snacks :) :)
Justine @ Life With Cheeseburgers recently posted..Chocolate Protein Pudding Snack/Dessert

48 Courtney April 24, 2012 at 11:23 am

Hahaha…ohhhh, the life of a blogger ;)
I hear ya, girl!

49 Cristina April 24, 2012 at 11:22 am

First I have to say that I LOVE your blog! One of my favorites that I will bookmark. It looks fantastic and is full of so much valuable information. These burgers are on my list of recipes to try and I love the idea of a vege side to keep it healthy. My blog is all about health & wellness, would love for you to subscribe as I did yours and maybe even do a guest post with one of your healthy foods? Let me know:) http://skinnyhealthygirl.com
Cristina recently posted..4 Easy Simple Ways To Make Food Healthier But Still Delicious And Flavorful

50 Trisha April 24, 2012 at 11:34 am

These look SO good! Definitely giving them a shot sometime very soon!
Trisha recently posted..Just Another Meatless Monday…

51 Sarah @ Practice Princess April 24, 2012 at 11:42 am

Delicious!

52 Ruthie Hart April 24, 2012 at 12:08 pm

These look amazing! Never would have thought to make a chicken burger!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..Antsy

53 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health April 24, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Yep, they look and sound AMAZING!!! And I also love how easy they seem to make :D
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Random Monday Musings

54 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 24, 2012 at 12:20 pm

They look and sound completely delicious!!! Haha I would have been so annoyed if someone said “I guess so” when I offered to make them something! I’d be like fine, make it yourself! Granted, I’m also not married…
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Running Music

55 Lisa April 24, 2012 at 12:37 pm

These look amazing. I am going to the grocery store to get the ingredients to make these. Yum.
Lisa recently posted..Fun Outings and Healthy Behaviours

56 Caitlin April 24, 2012 at 2:37 pm

These look AMAZING Courtney! It’s funny but chicken burgers are the only kind of patty-style meal we never make at my house. We to turkey, salmon, beef, and bison. Once even shrimp burgers from Whole Foods. But never chicken! Not sure why. Now I’m inspired…
Caitlin recently posted..FitFluential Hits Mohegan!

57 Brandi April 24, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Holy cow these look amazing! :)

58 Maura April 24, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Those look great and so healthy too! Will have to give them a try :)
Maura recently posted..Homemade Trader Joe’s Chicken Chili Lime Burgers

59 Mary April 24, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I bet you could adapt this recipe to make some awesome chicken meatballs as well!

60 Colleen @ Culinary Colleen April 24, 2012 at 5:29 pm

These burgers look beautiful! You totally wouldn’t know they’re actually healthy from the picture :)

61 Amanda April 24, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Wow, those look absolutely delicious! I’m definitely going to try those! :)
Amanda recently posted..Rice Krispie Treat Variation

62 Amanda April 25, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I made these for dinner tonight, FANTASTIC! you are amazing!

63 Courtney April 26, 2012 at 7:07 am

YAY!!! :)

64 Maggie @ Running on Fro-Yo April 24, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Definitely saving this one! My boyfriend complains when I try to pass off things not made with a cow as “burgers” but I’m pretty sure he would still love these!
Maggie @ Running on Fro-Yo recently posted..Fitness Friday!

65 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 24, 2012 at 8:39 pm

These look SO good! Definitely want to try them soon!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..My New Favorite Protein

66 Alysha @shesontherun April 24, 2012 at 10:20 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever bought ground chicken. But this recipe definitely makes me want to try it.
Alysha @shesontherun recently posted..Facebook: Better Late Than Never!

67 Katy April 24, 2012 at 11:08 pm

I cannot wait to try this recipe. My ground chicken is already defrosting! Thanks for sharing :-)
Katy recently posted..My Puzzling Playlist

68 Shannon April 25, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Again, another fantastic, yummy looking meal from you! This is just chicken, right? I don’t really like burgers-but if it’s just chicken parm on a hamburger roll, I will try it. I’ll tell my mom to look at this post of yours if she wants a new idea for dinner.

I feel really deprived of tasty looking meals- can you come cook for me? :) Mine are really good, but yours look so good too!
Shannon recently posted..Election nerves (part 2)

69 Courtney April 25, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Yup! It’s ground chicken :)

70 Jennifer May 2, 2012 at 7:12 am

Hi Courtney! I recently started reading your blog and I LOVE it! Have tried several of your recipes so far and they were great!
Oh.my.gosh. The chicken parmesan burgers were sooooo delicious–made them last night! Even my husband, who also is not a huge fan of ground chicken, loved them. I think I may try making little mini meatballs with them–bake in oven and put over pasta with some marinara and melted cheese over the top! Yummo! Thanks for sharing the recipe with us!

71 Courtney May 2, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Thanks so much for reading along and trying out some recipes, Jennifer! So glad you and your man liked ‘em! :)

72 Anna May 15, 2012 at 10:03 am

Holy crap! These look and sound AMAZING! I neeeeed to try them!
Anna recently posted..Biking, I Love You

73 Michele A. May 29, 2012 at 4:28 pm

These were WONDERFUL – so moist & yummy! My husband made me swear that I would add this to my list of routinely-made dishes!

74 Amy May 31, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Holy goodness I think this will be for late lunch today! I love making turkey burgers but never gave chicken burgers a try. This is even better, it’s chicken parm!! I recently started to use my panini maker when I make burgers since my grill creates a lot of smoke in the apartment and the little panini maker works like a George Foreman grill =D Thanks for sharing!!
Amy recently posted..Who Wants White Teeth?

75 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 14, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Hey Courtney! I wanted to let you know that I made these tonight for myself, my husband, and my in-laws! I was a little nervous trying a new recipe for them (especially b/c my in-laws like simple meals), but it was a winner! I LOVED it, and they all said they liked it … hopefully they were telling me the truth haha! ;) I doubled the recipe, and I’m freezing the patties for another meal. Thanks for the idea!!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Ben and Jerry know what’s up.

76 Tori July 24, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I made these tonight and they were amazing! My husband gobbled them up, even though he was skeptical about any burger that starts with ground chicken. He is a believer now, though! Thank you!!

77 LaChelle October 23, 2012 at 10:41 am

Made these last night and they were GREAT! thanks!

78 Lisa November 13, 2012 at 12:14 am

Do you think it’s ok to refrigerate longer than 30 minutes, say an hour or so? Trying to plan ahead…thanks!

79 Courtney November 13, 2012 at 7:29 am

Oh I definitely think that would be more than fine!

80 Leslie December 19, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Just FYI doesn’t look like the recipe is printing :(
Leslie recently posted..It’s beginning…

81 Courtney December 19, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Thanks for the heads up Leslie. It looks like it isn’t working on more than just this recipe. I’m looking into it now!

82 Delaney August 6, 2013 at 11:33 am

Looks incredible! Can’t wait to make this tonight! Even my SUPER picky eater said this looks good!

83 Kristen May 12, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Do you think there would be any reason not to make these patties the night before serving? Thanks!

84 Courtney May 12, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Not at all! I’d say go for it :)

85 Tabby July 22, 2014 at 7:43 am

I was looking through your recipe index and spotted these chicken parm burgers, tested them out last night, and WOW are they delicious! Thanks so much for the awesome recipe!