Healthy Chicken Parmesan Burgers

Last night was a MAJOR success in our house. Let me explain…

Nine times out of 10 when I mention buying ground chicken to the hubby, I almost always get an immediate turn up of the nose and an “ughhh, you know I hate ground chicken…that’s gross.”

But the other day, Jay came home from work and was telling me how one of his co-workers makes these “really awesome” chicken burgers. We got to talking about it some more, so I asked him…if I tried to make some of my own, would he eat them? I got a half-hearted “I guess so,” which only amped my determination to make these things amazing.

One of the kinds of burgers that Jay mentioned was a chicken parm burger. Was he serious? I mean, talk about perfection. So I took a container of my homemade sauce out of the freezer, brainstormed some seasonings, and got to work.

And now, I am happy to announce that I have finally come up with a way to get the hubby to eat ground chicken…and absolutely enjoy it.

Actually, not even just “enjoy” it – he LOVED it. And ohh, goodness gracious, so did I!

chicken parm burger

First, get all of your chicken burger ingredients together.

chicken parm burger ingredients

Mix well until thoroughly combined.

Form into four patties (*placing on wax paper will help prevent extra sticking) and refrigerate 30 minutes.

Don’t forget to create that well in the center…it will help prevent your burger from cooking up into a big puff ball.

Top cooked burgers with mozzarella cheese and allow to melt while toasting your hamburger buns (*I definitely recommend doing this step!). Spread buns with extra marinara sauce, top with burger, and VOILA!

You’ve got yourself one amazing, and somewhat healthier(!) chicken parmesan burger.

Here’s the approximate stats on the burgers, NOT including the bun…

chicken parm burger nutrition

We served our burgers alongside some Italian-style green beans, made using fresh green beans, a little chopped onion, garlic, EVOO, and Italian-style diced tomatoes.

Neither of us could get over just how good these burgers are. Seriously. The seasoning was just enough to “mask the taste” of the ground chicken that Jay usually despises, and the toasted buns with garlic seasoning is definitely a step that should not be skipped. Since we were having the ground chicken, I let Jay choose which kind of buns he wanted, so he went with potato rolls. So, so good.

All I’ll say is…you NEED to try these burgers.

I’m pretty sure we just opened up a whole new can of possibilities with ground chicken around here. Smile

1. Kendra says

creating a dent in the center is genius! my burgers on the grill (chicken, turkey, beef) always end up like a ball. thank you!!

2. Nicole says

Nice! I just picked up some ground chicken the other day. I’ll def be making these!

Homemade chicken burgers are a fan favorite in our house…I like to mix in spinach and sun-dried tomatoes, and top it with homemade balsamic glaze! My hubby likes his with brocooli rabe and fresh mozzarella. The possibilities are endless! :)

3. Jess says

Looks delish! Here are a couple tips that I’ve found help to keep ground chicken and turkey flavorful and juicy… 1 – Grate onions and garlic instead of chopping. The extra liquid keeps the meat moist. 2 – Add worcestershire sauce; just a tablespoon or so. It adds a really yummy flavor that reminds me of eating beef without the extra fat! 3 – Add sauteed veggies. Anything your heart desires…just chop it up small, saute until alittle brown around the edges, let cool and add to the meat. Because of these things my hubby prefers turkey meatloaf over beef these days and can’t tell the difference between beef/veal/pork meatballs and turkey ones! Hope this helps to convert the hubbys out there :)

These look so good, I’m with your husband I don’t love ground chicken. These puppies might change my mind!

Question for you… do you use a website/widget to figure out the nutrition facts? I just started noticing you have been posting them. I have a recipe I made and I’m dying to know how many horrible calories are in it!
    Renee recently posted..Terrific Tuesday Finds- April 24

5. Courtney says

This reminds me of my household. I was trying to eat healthier so I suggested turkey burgers but my husband was not thrilled with the idea. I had to figure out all sorts of stuff and seasonings to mix with the ground turkey. In the end I got a thumbs up and they are now on our summer menu rotation!! Definitely going to try the chicken parm burger though. Sounds yummy!

First I have to say that I LOVE your blog! One of my favorites that I will bookmark. It looks fantastic and is full of so much valuable information. These burgers are on my list of recipes to try and I love the idea of a vege side to keep it healthy. My blog is all about health & wellness, would love for you to subscribe as I did yours and maybe even do a guest post with one of your healthy foods? Let me know:)
    Cristina recently posted..4 Easy Simple Ways To Make Food Healthier But Still Delicious And Flavorful

They look and sound completely delicious!!! Haha I would have been so annoyed if someone said “I guess so” when I offered to make them something! I’d be like fine, make it yourself! Granted, I’m also not married…
    Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Running Music

These look AMAZING Courtney! It’s funny but chicken burgers are the only kind of patty-style meal we never make at my house. We to turkey, salmon, beef, and bison. Once even shrimp burgers from Whole Foods. But never chicken! Not sure why. Now I’m inspired…
    Caitlin recently posted..FitFluential Hits Mohegan!

Again, another fantastic, yummy looking meal from you! This is just chicken, right? I don’t really like burgers-but if it’s just chicken parm on a hamburger roll, I will try it. I’ll tell my mom to look at this post of yours if she wants a new idea for dinner.

I feel really deprived of tasty looking meals- can you come cook for me? :) Mine are really good, but yours look so good too!
    Shannon recently posted..Election nerves (part 2)

10. Jennifer says

Hi Courtney! I recently started reading your blog and I LOVE it! Have tried several of your recipes so far and they were great! The chicken parmesan burgers were sooooo delicious–made them last night! Even my husband, who also is not a huge fan of ground chicken, loved them. I think I may try making little mini meatballs with them–bake in oven and put over pasta with some marinara and melted cheese over the top! Yummo! Thanks for sharing the recipe with us!

• Courtney says

Thanks so much for reading along and trying out some recipes, Jennifer! So glad you and your man liked ’em! :)

11. Michele A. says

These were WONDERFUL – so moist & yummy! My husband made me swear that I would add this to my list of routinely-made dishes!

Holy goodness I think this will be for late lunch today! I love making turkey burgers but never gave chicken burgers a try. This is even better, it’s chicken parm!! I recently started to use my panini maker when I make burgers since my grill creates a lot of smoke in the apartment and the little panini maker works like a George Foreman grill =D Thanks for sharing!!
    Amy recently posted..Who Wants White Teeth?

Hey Courtney! I wanted to let you know that I made these tonight for myself, my husband, and my in-laws! I was a little nervous trying a new recipe for them (especially b/c my in-laws like simple meals), but it was a winner! I LOVED it, and they all said they liked it … hopefully they were telling me the truth haha! 😉 I doubled the recipe, and I’m freezing the patties for another meal. Thanks for the idea!!
    Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Ben and Jerry know what’s up.

14. Tori says

I made these tonight and they were amazing! My husband gobbled them up, even though he was skeptical about any burger that starts with ground chicken. He is a believer now, though! Thank you!!

• Courtney says

Thanks for the heads up Leslie. It looks like it isn’t working on more than just this recipe. I’m looking into it now!

15. Kristen says

Do you think there would be any reason not to make these patties the night before serving? Thanks!

16. Tabby says

I was looking through your recipe index and spotted these chicken parm burgers, tested them out last night, and WOW are they delicious! Thanks so much for the awesome recipe!

1. […] Hopefully you aren’t getting tired of chicken parmesan yet… because I still have at least one more variation left in my foodbank before I can move on. This particular version was brought to my attention by Alicia, who found it on one of her favorite blogs: Sweet Tooth Sweet Life. […]