My Favorite Way To Get Veggies In At Breakfast

by Courtney on May 31, 2012

Fun fact for today: Did you know it’s National Macaroon Day?

source

Seriously, where do they come up with these holidays?!?

Believe it or not, I’ve actually never tried making macaroons. Are they easy? Should I give it a try? Or should I just close my eyes, cross my fingers, and hope that someone really nice ends up making me a batch? Winking smile

I kid, I kid but no, not really.

Breakfast

I’ve noticed lately that I have very little desire for extra veggies at lunchtime, which is typically when I try to get a good portion of them in for the day. So today, I decided to combat that problem first thing by incorporating a bunch of ‘em into breakfast.

My favorite way to get veggies in at breakfast is with a big egg & veggie scramble.

Today’s scramble included some Italian-style diced tomatoes (leftover from something last week that I can’t remember), onions, and a huge portion of freshly torn spinach leaves. I love adding spinach to, well, basically everything.

On the side I had a piece of whole wheat toast with Justin’s honey peanut butter(which was actually my second attempt…the first one was too burnt for me, but the boy took it on his way out the door).

And we’re also back to hot coffee today now that the weather is back to normal again.

I’m off to my shift at work this morning, possibly followed by some BodyPump if all works out. See ya later!

Fun Question for the Morning:

If you could name your own crazy holiday, when would it be and what would it be?

1 Michelle@PeachyPalate May 31, 2012 at 8:35 am

National go to work in your gym wear day! I would be so damn comfy!
Michelle@PeachyPalate recently posted..Apple Pie/Crumble Smoothie #3

2 Hayley C @ Running Down the Runway May 31, 2012 at 8:36 am

If you are ever in NYC make sure you stop at Laduree!! The most incredible macaroons you will ever taste!

I think my holiday would be “National Everything is Free Day!” Now that would be my perfect holiday ;)
Hayley C @ Running Down the Runway recently posted..Expensive Habits

3 kaitlyn May 31, 2012 at 8:36 am

I thought this morning that I needed to eat more veggies – so I made an egg white omelet with broccoli, green peppers & onions!
Your posts are so inspiring! Joining weight watchers & reading your posts make healthy eating so much easier! :)

4 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance May 31, 2012 at 8:40 am

I almost never manage to get veggies in at breakfast – I always want something sweet in the morning (aka overnight oats!). And I’ve never made macaroons either – they look complicated!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Brussels Sprout Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette & the Gluten-Free Fad

5 Blog is the New Black May 31, 2012 at 8:41 am

OMG!!! Macaroons are sooooo easy and absolutely addiciting and delicious! Here’s a simple recipe from Ina that I posted: http://blognewblack.com/?p=3543
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Good Old Fashioned Pancakes

6 Khushboo May 31, 2012 at 8:43 am

I don’t know how crazy it is…but I would declare June 4th National Calories Don’t Count Day because it’s my birthday :)!

7 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie May 31, 2012 at 8:45 am

I do love putting a ton of veggies in my eggs — GREAT way to start the day!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..The Comedic Stylings of Anthony Jeselnik

8 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope May 31, 2012 at 8:53 am

Macaroons are my favorite! I’d love to try making them at home. :)

I love putting spinach and veggies in my eggs too.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..An Open House Success!…

9 Megan@ The Running Doc May 31, 2012 at 8:57 am

I also love adding spinach to everything. I swear, rarely does a meal go by that doesn’t contain at least a little bit of spinach! My boyfriend finds it totally repulsive when I add spinach to my fruit smoothies, so much so that he’s not even willing to take a taste. He has no idea what he’s missing out on!
Megan@ The Running Doc recently posted..The Fur Children

10 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 31, 2012 at 8:58 am

National running day where I could wear running clothes all day and run to and from work without anyone caring that I looked like a mess!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

11 Faith @ For the Health of It May 31, 2012 at 9:02 am

Veggies at breakfast are a perfect way to start the day. I love bagel sandwiches with cream cheese, tomatoes, sprouts, tomatoes, spinach and onions – so much veggie goodness before the day even really gets started!

12 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat May 31, 2012 at 9:04 am

From the title and the first photo, I thought you were going to say there was cabbage in the macaroons or something! ;)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Salads, Spinach, and Spectacular Tomatoes

13 Lindsey May 31, 2012 at 9:05 am

How about national fro-yo holiday? We get the day off work and free fro-yo? haha. I think in August sometime.
I am not a morning veggie girl at all. I don’t mind omelettes but if I do have one it is more of brunch versus breakfast. But for lunch I almost always have a salad or veggie sandwich.
Lindsey recently posted..Link Love

14 Sarah May 31, 2012 at 9:15 am

Well, I’m a big fan of national oatmeal day personally :) Or national fro- yo day
Sarah recently posted..Lazy Bananas

15 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss May 31, 2012 at 9:24 am

is it terrible I’ve never TRIED a macaroon? so, when you get around to making them, wanna send a few my way? ;)
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..The Remedy for Sore Muscles [giveaway]

16 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries May 31, 2012 at 9:28 am

macaroons are super easy to make! i just used the recipe on the back of the shredded coconut bag. ;)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..05/31: Thursday Thoughts

17 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries May 31, 2012 at 9:28 am

Happy National Wine Day is probably one of my favorites, only second to National Margarita Day ;) and I need to get more veggies in during breakfast, but I never seem to be in the mood for them! I’ll definitely try chopping them up and mixing them into my eggs in the future :)

18 Leanne May 31, 2012 at 9:30 am

This is the only way I eat veggies at BF. A friend of mine lives a macrobiotic lifestyle so he eats grains and veggies every morning… I can’t seem to do that. I guess it’s just what you’re used to in the end. :)
Leanne recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday – Busy day with a lot of ‘fast-food’

19 Yellow Haired Girl May 31, 2012 at 10:14 am

National Take A Nap At Your Desk Day!

Hahaha. Just kidding. That’s just how I feel today :)
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Perspective

20 Zoe @ cocoamoustache May 31, 2012 at 10:15 am

I would have wear your jammers to work day. I would live in pjs if it was acceptable!
I find it hard to get veggies in at breakfast, during the week I have no time in the mornings so have make-ahead-breakfasts like oats and banana bread.So at weekends I usually have scrambled egg and veggies. I also am queen frittata maker, which is a great easy way of getting veggies in at lunch!
Zoe @ cocoamoustache recently posted..Jumping on the WIAW bandwagon

21 Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog May 31, 2012 at 10:17 am

I love adding lots of veggies to my eggs I’m the morning, I have yet to find a veggie that doesn’t work!
Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog recently posted..Foodie Pen Pals #1

22 Alysha @Shesontherun May 31, 2012 at 10:47 am

I agree, besides eggs, getting veggies into breakfast is a challenge. I read an article about breakfast salads, and I would never eat that! Salads should stay at lunch or dinner. BTW, I’d declare my own Cookie Dough Day :)
Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted..Trader Joe’s Cookie Butter: My New Obsession

23 Renee May 31, 2012 at 11:07 am

I think macaroons are easy enough. I made them for the first time & stuffed them with a Hershey’s Kiss. I call them Smackaroons ;) http://www.endlesssimmer.com/2012/04/23/smackaroons-coconut-creme-kiss-filled-macaroons/
Renee recently posted..WIAW: Just Shy of a Bucket of Tea

24 Tina @ Best Body Fitness May 31, 2012 at 11:09 am

I love veggie scrambles too. Great way to get in veggies and give more flavor to eggs. Hopefully we can catch each other on chat again soon!
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..Simplicity and Changes

25 Julie May 31, 2012 at 11:14 am

Fun things we have in common: 1) I also love adding spinach to everything. 2) I burnt my toast this morning too. 3) I’ve never made macaroons but Terry keeps asking. Perhaps today is the day!

Hope you have a good one! :-)
Julie recently posted..Lemonade and WIAW

26 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers May 31, 2012 at 11:15 am

I love veggies at breakfast! My favorite is a big fat white egg oomelet stuffed with lots of veggies!! Yum!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Blood Orange Yogurt Dip & Food Pen Pal

27 B @ Crags and Veggies May 31, 2012 at 11:20 am

The eggs look awesome, very colorful! You should try juicing to get in veggies in the morning!! I’m doing a juicing challenge from memorial day through labor day! It’s so much fun and a great way to get veggies in!

As for a holiday, how about a celebration of health? Maybe “healthy choices day” in the summer when it’s warm so lots of people can get outside and exercise!
B @ Crags and Veggies recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday!

28 Annie May 31, 2012 at 11:25 am

I always eat my veggies on lunch or snacks. Sometimes I eat them on dinner, but never on breakfast because I usually reserve my carbs and heavy meals for that. Looks delicious though, those veggies you have up there
Annie recently posted..http://www.maxpersuasion.com.http://maxpersuasion.com

29 Amy May 31, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I’ve made macaroons once, burned them, and never tried it again. My veggies are usually during lunch but I use them in a non-healthy way… =/ I love zucchini or green peas and will have them in heavy cream ah I know but it’s so good! I do use whole wheat bread for dipping, does that count? My hubby doesn’t like veggies at all so I’m limited to making things we both will eat. I make potato-peas stew and pour it over rice. That’s how he gets his tiny portion of veggies.
Amy recently posted..Who Wants White Teeth?

30 Melissa May 31, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Oh good heavens, I am a HUGE macaroon fan! And they really are super easy to make–do it do it do it! Just be sure to dip them in some melted chocolate, too. ;)
Melissa recently posted..life.

31 elizabeth | notes, quotes & anecdotes May 31, 2012 at 12:38 pm

i try to get veggies into my breakfast by blending spinach into a smoothie, but cramming them into a veggie omelette or breakfast sandwich are other delicious alternatives for a more savory breakfast when you’re not in the mood for anything sweet!

also! i can’t believe you haven’t tried macaroons – if you like coconut, they’re like a bite full of heaven! the first time i ever made them, they were so easy and took so few ingredients. check them out: http://elizpaige.tumblr.com/post/1649154234/team-coconut
elizabeth | notes, quotes & anecdotes recently posted..a salad a day keeps the doctor away!

32 Alana May 31, 2012 at 12:38 pm

HELP! How do you plan how much fruits and veggies to buy each week? I feel like you always “have them on hand,” but I feel like if I just buy a bunch, they won’t all get used and will go bad? Grocery buying tips? :)

33 michelle kim May 31, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I did a quick search to see if they have other awesome National days (I mean, they already got a day for running, coffee and peanut butter. What more can I ask for?).
They already have a National Napping day… I looked up a National weightlifting day, which they don’t have (or may have by another day). BUT they DO have a National Weightlifting Spotter Appreciation Day!!! How funny!
michelle kim recently posted..Who Wants to Hike With Me?

34 Annette@FitnessPerks May 31, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I too add spinach to everything. Seriously.

I hope you get into the BodyPump class-it’s my not-so-secret love (I teach it 3-4x/week) :) And I declare a day National Wear Slippers To Work Day or National Gym Clothes Day or National Almond Butter on Everything Day…..
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Heart Pumpin’ Workout

35 Andrea @ Vegvacious May 31, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Mmmm…spinach, sundried tomatoes, goat cheese & egg whites make the best veggie scramble on the planet! I eat it most mornings if I have time :)

I would love a National Eat Whatcha Want ‘Cuz Calories Don’t Count Day — one day a year to indulge and not worry about it adding to your waistline would be awesome!
Andrea @ Vegvacious recently posted..Foodie Penpal Reveal

36 Tori K May 31, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Speaking of “national (blank) days” – tomorrow is national free donut day at dunkin donuts! Buy a drink and get a donut for free. I know how you love your DD : )

37 Courtney May 31, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Is it really?!? Oh man, good to know! :)

38 Alysia @ Slim Sanity May 31, 2012 at 2:01 pm

i make scrambles once or twice a week….delish!

39 Linz @ Itz Linz May 31, 2012 at 2:25 pm

there really is a holiday for everything! how about national sleep in don’t leave the house day? this holiday should be allowed to be taken as needed by whomever, whenever, and as often as needed :) that would be the life
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Foodie PenPals: May

40 Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana May 31, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Great idea…I have to get more veggie scrambles into my daily routine :)
Maura @ My Healthy ‘Ohana recently posted..Cinnamon Sugar Pancake Muffins

41 Tara Burner May 31, 2012 at 9:40 pm

macaroons are mega easy to make and yummmmmy :)
Tara Burner recently posted..Last Hour Reprieve & new part time job

42 Alaina May 31, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Oh man, macaroons are sooo easy to make! And so delicious. I love that you can customize with different toppings too (chocolate, caramel, whatever!) :-)
Alaina recently posted..My Commute

43 Shannon June 1, 2012 at 5:37 pm

If I made a crazy holiday, I would call it Happy National Lazy Day- a day to just relax and do absolutely nothing. I’ll happily partake this weekend…nah, I have to start reviewing for final exams. :(