My Favorite Way To Get Veggies In At Breakfast

Fun fact for today: Did you know it’s National Macaroon Day?

Seriously, where do they come up with these holidays?!?

Believe it or not, I’ve actually never tried making macaroons. Are they easy? Should I give it a try? Or should I just close my eyes, cross my fingers, and hope that someone really nice ends up making me a batch? Winking smile

I kid, I kid but no, not really.

I’ve noticed lately that I have very little desire for extra veggies at lunchtime, which is typically when I try to get a good portion of them in for the day. So today, I decided to combat that problem first thing by incorporating a bunch of ‘em into breakfast.

My favorite way to get veggies in at breakfast is with a big egg & veggie scramble.

Today’s scramble included some Italian-style diced tomatoes (leftover from something last week that I can’t remember), onions, and a huge portion of freshly torn spinach leaves. I love adding spinach to, well, basically everything.

On the side I had a piece of whole wheat toast with Justin’s honey peanut butter(which was actually my second attempt…the first one was too burnt for me, but the boy took it on his way out the door).

And we’re also back to hot coffee today now that the weather is back to normal again.

I’m off to my shift at work this morning, possibly followed by some BodyPump if all works out. See ya later!

Fun Question for the Morning:

If you could name your own crazy holiday, when would it be and what would it be?

1. kaitlyn says

I thought this morning that I needed to eat more veggies – so I made an egg white omelet with broccoli, green peppers & onions!
    Your posts are so inspiring! Joining weight watchers & reading your posts make healthy eating so much easier! :)

I also love adding spinach to everything. I swear, rarely does a meal go by that doesn’t contain at least a little bit of spinach! My boyfriend finds it totally repulsive when I add spinach to my fruit smoothies, so much so that he’s not even willing to take a taste. He has no idea what he’s missing out on!
    Megan@ The Running Doc recently posted..The Fur Children

Veggies at breakfast are a perfect way to start the day. I love bagel sandwiches with cream cheese, tomatoes, sprouts, tomatoes, spinach and onions – so much veggie goodness before the day even really gets started!

How about national fro-yo holiday? We get the day off work and free fro-yo? haha. I think in August sometime.
    I am not a morning veggie girl at all. I don’t mind omelettes but if I do have one it is more of brunch versus breakfast. But for lunch I almost always have a salad or veggie sandwich.
    Lindsey recently posted..Link Love

Happy National Wine Day is probably one of my favorites, only second to National Margarita Day 😉 and I need to get more veggies in during breakfast, but I never seem to be in the mood for them! I’ll definitely try chopping them up and mixing them into my eggs in the future :)

6. Zoe @ cocoamoustache says

I would have wear your jammers to work day. I would live in pjs if it was acceptable!
    I find it hard to get veggies in at breakfast, during the week I have no time in the mornings so have make-ahead-breakfasts like oats and banana bread.So at weekends I usually have scrambled egg and veggies. I also am queen frittata maker, which is a great easy way of getting veggies in at lunch!
    Zoe @ cocoamoustache recently posted..Jumping on the WIAW bandwagon

Fun things we have in common: 1) I also love adding spinach to everything. 2) I burnt my toast this morning too. 3) I’ve never made macaroons but Terry keeps asking. Perhaps today is the day!

Hope you have a good one! :-)
    Julie recently posted..Lemonade and WIAW

The eggs look awesome, very colorful! You should try juicing to get in veggies in the morning!! I’m doing a juicing challenge from memorial day through labor day! It’s so much fun and a great way to get veggies in!

As for a holiday, how about a celebration of health? Maybe “healthy choices day” in the summer when it’s warm so lots of people can get outside and exercise!
    B @ Crags and Veggies recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday!

I’ve made macaroons once, burned them, and never tried it again. My veggies are usually during lunch but I use them in a non-healthy way… =/ I love zucchini or green peas and will have them in heavy cream ah I know but it’s so good! I do use whole wheat bread for dipping, does that count? My hubby doesn’t like veggies at all so I’m limited to making things we both will eat. I make potato-peas stew and pour it over rice. That’s how he gets his tiny portion of veggies.
    Amy recently posted..Who Wants White Teeth?

Oh good heavens, I am a HUGE macaroon fan! And they really are super easy to make–do it do it do it! Just be sure to dip them in some melted chocolate, too. 😉
    Melissa recently

i try to get veggies into my breakfast by blending spinach into a smoothie, but cramming them into a veggie omelette or breakfast sandwich are other delicious alternatives for a more savory breakfast when you’re not in the mood for anything sweet!

also! i can’t believe you haven’t tried macaroons – if you like coconut, they’re like a bite full of heaven! the first time i ever made them, they were so easy and took so few ingredients. check them out:
    elizabeth | notes, quotes & anecdotes recently posted..a salad a day keeps the doctor away!

12. Alana says

HELP! How do you plan how much fruits and veggies to buy each week? I feel like you always “have them on hand,” but I feel like if I just buy a bunch, they won’t all get used and will go bad? Grocery buying tips? :)

I did a quick search to see if they have other awesome National days (I mean, they already got a day for running, coffee and peanut butter. What more can I ask for?).
    They already have a National Napping day… I looked up a National weightlifting day, which they don’t have (or may have by another day). BUT they DO have a National Weightlifting Spotter Appreciation Day!!! How funny!
    michelle kim recently posted..Who Wants to Hike With Me?

I too add spinach to everything. Seriously.

I hope you get into the BodyPump class-it’s my not-so-secret love (I teach it 3-4x/week) :) And I declare a day National Wear Slippers To Work Day or National Gym Clothes Day or National Almond Butter on Everything Day…..
    Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Heart Pumpin’ Workout

Mmmm…spinach, sundried tomatoes, goat cheese & egg whites make the best veggie scramble on the planet! I eat it most mornings if I have time :)

I would love a National Eat Whatcha Want ‘Cuz Calories Don’t Count Day — one day a year to indulge and not worry about it adding to your waistline would be awesome!
    Andrea @ Vegvacious recently posted..Foodie Penpal Reveal

16. Tori K says

Speaking of “national (blank) days” – tomorrow is national free donut day at dunkin donuts! Buy a drink and get a donut for free. I know how you love your DD : )

there really is a holiday for everything! how about national sleep in don’t leave the house day? this holiday should be allowed to be taken as needed by whomever, whenever, and as often as needed :) that would be the life
    Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Foodie PenPals: May

Oh man, macaroons are sooo easy to make! And so delicious. I love that you can customize with different toppings too (chocolate, caramel, whatever!) :-)
    Alaina recently posted..My Commute

If I made a crazy holiday, I would call it Happy National Lazy Day- a day to just relax and do absolutely nothing. I’ll happily partake this weekend…nah, I have to start reviewing for final exams. :(