The Best Restaurant Dessert I’ve Ever Had

by Courtney on June 24, 2012

Oh my gosh, can I just tell you how so, so excited I was for dinner last night?!?

For the month of June, I was given the opportunity to participate in the Foodbuzz 24 x 24 program. When I submitted my proposal, I had said that I wanted to take the opportunity to surprise the hubby with a nice meal out at a fun, new local restaurant.

For the past few months, Jay has been working so hard both at work and around the house. I can’t even begin to explain how thankful I am to have a guy who will do laundry, vacuum and dust because he knows it bothers my asthma, do dishes, clean the pool, mow the lawn (except for that rare occasion that I do it), cook dinners, and then still do 101 other things above and beyond that. I am just so lucky to have this amazing guy in my life.

(one of the best nights EVER right there)

So as a little thank you, I thought it would be nice to treat him to a surprise date night dinner at a new to us restaurant in town, Angelo’s Prime Bar + Grill.

I knew I had to make our dinner date a bit early since Jay got unexpectedly called out later in the evening, but it worked well since we were able to score a seat right out on the patio.

Immediately upon seating, we were served a warm bread basket and butter.

The bread was tasty, and those enormous cracker-looking things were actually pretty delicious too. At first, Jay and I didn’t even know what they were and we weren’t quite sure if we should even eat them. Glad we did.

Both of us had eaten pretty lightly during the day and we definitely went with our appetites ready. To start, I told Jay that we absolutely, 100% had to order the 7 Hour Cherry Pepper Pork.

I had the pleasure of trying this menu item quite a few years back when I visited Angelo’s other restaurant, 677 Prime, and was psyched to see it at this location as well.

This dish. Seriously incredible. The pork is so tender and flavorful, the homemade potato chips are perfect, and it has just the perfect amount of spice to it. Jay was definitely a huge fan of this dish, just as I suspected.

For my entrée, I was going back and forth between the salmon and the filet, but since I know I can cook salmon at home, I ultimately decided on the filet mignon.

Such a great decision.

The filet literally just fell apart in my mouth and I loved the fact that it didn’t need a bunch of crazy sauces like that to make it taste good. The flavor was perfect on its own.

The sautéed spinach and mashed potatoes that came with it were also both delicious (I substituted the potatoes for the quinoa since it doesn’t always agree with my stomach and I wasn’t in the mood to risk it). One of the cool things about this dish was that it was on their “Most Healthy” menu, which means it had 700 calories or less…but with the way that plate tasted, it could have had 1,700 and I wouldn’t have cared.

Jay ordered the sirloin which was also amazing.

Needless to say, our dinner was pretty quiet. Winking smile

Now usually when Jay and I go out to eat, we’ll either do an appetizer with dinner, or a dessert with dinner, but not both. Last night, however, was a total exception. After looking at the dessert menu, we both spotted the Big, Big Chocolate Cake and decided we had to have it.

Now most of the time when I’ve ordered a slice of chocolate cake at a restaurant, it’s a decent size, but nothing that makes me think twice about it. I thought it was interesting that the menu listed the item as the Big, Big Chocolate Cake, so I was a bit interested to see what this thing was all about. As Jay and I sat and chatted, I spotted our waitress headed over with our dessert and my immediate reaction was, “Holy s*it, this is almost embarrassing.”

Never, have I ever, seen a piece of cake like this before…

The cake was served with vanilla ice cream, a glass of milk (which I thought was so clever) and some crushed Heath Bar bits (at my request).

This piece of cake may have been embarrassingly large, but after taking my first bite, that whole embarrassment factor was the last thing on my mind. Oh em geee.

The two of us kept looking at each other, smiling and laughing while eating bite after bite of this amazingly decadent concoction. We both also decided that this dessert has now made its way to the top of our list of favorite restaurant desserts. I am not afraid to say that this may be the best restaurant dessert I’ve ever had. Wow.

We made a solid effort in an attempt to finish the whole piece (which our waitress jokingly said she was sure we could tackle), but in the end, we had to throw in the towel.

For us to not finish a dessert (especially one as amazing as this) is a very, very rare occurrence, but ultimately, this thing was just too much. I will most definitely be back for that cake again…but I think next time, I’ll stick to just a salad before.

Jay and I both left with happy and very full bellies, indeed. We were beyond pleased with our experience at Angelo’s Prime Bar + Grill, and I was so happy to have the opportunity to surprise Jay with such a delicious dinner.

I was also pretty happy that I decided to wear pants with a little extra stretch to them. Winking smile

Question for the Morning:

What’s the best restaurant dessert you’ve ever had?

1 Lindsey June 24, 2012 at 9:19 am

Tough question! We had our best pizza ever at a place in San Francisco last summer, but our favorite food from a restaurant lately might be a place called Noorish Cafe, a raw vegan eatery. Not only is the food amazing but totally stuff I would not usually make at home, which is something I look for when spending money eating out.
Lindsey recently posted..Award & 7 Things About Me

2 Michelle@Peachy Palate June 24, 2012 at 9:40 am

Wow! I want some of that! Nothing worse than ordering a dessert when your in the mood and it comes out teeny tiny! Rather have too much than not enough, especially when you’re sharing! :)
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Zingy Wake Me Up Pancakes

3 krystal@coffeecardiogoddess June 24, 2012 at 9:54 am

Yummmm that sounds like an all around ahmazing dinner! I’ve been craving some cake and that piece does look seriously delicious.
krystal@coffeecardiogoddess recently posted..Saturday Sulking

4 janiek @ a non-perfect girl June 24, 2012 at 10:02 am

It sure looks delicious!
janiek @ a non-perfect girl recently posted..WIAW: Not my best day

5 Khushboo June 24, 2012 at 10:02 am

Im meeting a friend for dinner tonight and this post just confirms it: dessert is a must! That cake looks insane! One of the best I’ve every had is a fig & almond tart with freshly made cinnamon ice cream…to die for!

6 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill June 24, 2012 at 10:21 am

I love that you asked for Heath bar bits on the side–they are my favorite! Hmm, I can’t think of a stand-out restaurant dessert (mainly because I don’t eat out very often), but I had some amazing churros in Mexico last year. They were served at the hotel’s breakfast buffet and I would literally eat a plate of them at 10am!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..I’m Moving to New York City!

7 michelle kim June 24, 2012 at 10:44 am

Wow! Your meal looks so delicious and simple, and that dessert looks out of this world. I like how they give you a glass of milk and some ice cream to go with the decadence of the chocolate cake.
Best dessert? I remember having some kind of bread pudding in Vegas that was extraordinary… but I can’t remember which restaurant.
michelle kim recently posted..A Recap Post in Pictures

8 Angela @ Health, Happiness, & Harmony June 24, 2012 at 10:47 am

Looks like a great night! I’m sure Jay appreciated the surprise too! The best dessert I’ve ever had out was a carmelized apple and walnut tart with vanilla bean ice cream on the side. It was incredible!
Angela @ Health, Happiness, & Harmony recently posted..Not Your Average T.V. Dinner

9 Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog June 24, 2012 at 10:48 am

My mouth is watering just looking at that desert!!
Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog recently posted..Life & Furry Friday

10 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom June 24, 2012 at 11:03 am

That cake looks like something special….yum!!!!

The best restaurant dessert I have ever had is homemade smores, from a place called Tillman’s Roadhouse. Every bit of the dessert is homemade, from the marshmallows to the chocolate and graham crackers. The marshmallows come in orange, maple and original flavors and the chocolate is also available in different flavors. SO, SO, SO good!!!!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Bacon Broccoli Crustless Quiche

11 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake June 24, 2012 at 11:23 am

That cake looks fantastic! I really love the cookie pizza at Pizzeria Uno, but I’d have to say any cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory is always a favorite, too!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..1st Birthday, 1 Day Late

12 Amy June 24, 2012 at 11:24 am

My goodness…those meals looks absolutely wonderful! and that cake…let’s not even get me started on that cake! Talk about a great date night :) So happy you enjoyed it! On a side note I made your Neapolitan cupcakes and Orange Cream Soda Pop Cupcakes for a kids fundraiser today! I’m sure they are going to be an absolute hit :)

13 Kailey June 24, 2012 at 11:30 am

Sounds like you have a great husband – you two make an adorable couple :D
That chocolate cake is out of this world. I think more restaurants should step up the plate ;)
Kailey recently posted..Friday Favorites

14 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers June 24, 2012 at 11:39 am

Congrats for making the Foodbuzz 24 x 24 program. The restaurant you chose, ohhh, the food looks amazing!!! I love the way they serve you the bread.
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Quick Easy Way to Make Corn on the Cob

15 Sarah June 24, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Oh gosh I am such a sucker for anything chocolate and that dessert looks beyond amazing!
Sarah recently posted..California Week 1

16 Erin June 24, 2012 at 1:45 pm

The best dessert I had was at Mannys Steakhouse. It was a gigantic banana split using SOFT SERVE ice cream! There even was a waffle cone on top of it all and it was filled with real whipped cream!! It cost like $20, no joke!!

17 Taylor @ A Taste of Taylor June 24, 2012 at 2:44 pm

What a fun night! That cake looks absolutely amazing… mouth is watering!
Taylor @ A Taste of Taylor recently posted..Slow Down and Appreciate Sunday

18 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 24, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Despite having one of the biggest sweet tooths EVER, I can’t think of what the best restaurant dessert that I’ve ever had was! I know that at chain restaurants, I love the Red Velvet Cake Cheesecake at Cheesecake Factory. And there was an Oreo Molten Chocolate Cake at Chili’s recently that was DELICIOUS!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..‘Tis the season for hot grilling and cold smoothies!

19 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com June 24, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I dont really remember the best dessert at a restaurant, but my husband and I recently enjoyed homemade sorbetto in Italy; a scoop of homemade DARK CHOCOLATE sorbetto and a scoop of rasberry were an amazing combination that made us have to go back for more the next day!
it sounds like you are so blessed to have Jay in your life. That is how I feel about my husband too and it is really nice to see with all these dysfunctional families (mine is one of them and I worked in alternative education where pretty much all my students came from some sort of broken home) that there is still honest love in the world.
Sorry for being cheesy I just really enjoyed this post :-)
have a good sunday!
CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com recently posted..Cry For Help?

20 Laura June 24, 2012 at 3:59 pm

wow, that looks awesome!! i love how you “treated” your husband to a free dinner…haha! guess it’s the thought that counts..looks great!!

21 Courtney June 24, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Hahaha, I know, right? I was going to do it whether or not my proposal got accepted, but the fact that it did made it pretty great :)

22 Laura June 24, 2012 at 5:56 pm

oh, there’s no shame!! i’m guilty of only “taking my boyfriend out” if i have a groupon or gift certificate. oops :)

23 Holly @ Balanced in BMore June 24, 2012 at 4:16 pm

That looks great! My Dad and I once split a perfect summer dessert with layers of some sort of pastry, whipped topping, ice cream, blueberries, and blueberry sauce. I’d love to re-create it!
Holly @ Balanced in BMore recently posted..Pros and Cons

24 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 24, 2012 at 4:18 pm

what a meal!! and that dessert — my oh my! delicious!
Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy recently posted..Mini Zucchini Timbale! GF, V & BED!

25 Alysha @ Shesontherun June 24, 2012 at 5:15 pm

That cake looks absolutely amazing. YUM. One of my favorite desserts was a lemon custard tart from a french restaurant. That or a brownie sundae :)
Alysha @ Shesontherun recently posted..King Arthur Flour Brown Bag Banana Bars

26 Ellie@Fit for the Soul June 24, 2012 at 5:43 pm

ommgnesss that pork dish looks amazing!!! I like chocolate cake but not THAT much, so I’d definitely stick with the pork dish and be happy! :) The best dessert ever? Oh goshthat’s a hard one….I think I’ll go with the pumpkin pie from a cafe that my husband and I just LOVE. It’s called Urth Caffe and it’s in LA. The crust is sooooo crisp and cookie like, while the filling is really decadent and perfect. The slice is ginormous too!
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Recipe for a Mexican Fiesta and My Homegirls

27 Kelly @ My Love Affair with Running June 24, 2012 at 5:47 pm

That looks amazing! My favourite dessert out is a sticky date pudding smothered in butterscotch sauce… nothing can ever beat this for me ;)
Kelly @ My Love Affair with Running recently posted..Run, coffee and cruise through Sunday

28 Holly June 24, 2012 at 5:52 pm

LOVE this!! I’m SO glad you two got to enjoy a fun night out together, filled with awesome food. & that cake…O.M.G. is right! HOLYMOLY it looks TO DIE FOR! Can you send some to FL? I’m pretty sure that I could tackle that whole thing for myself right now!!!
Holly recently posted..Over Halfway There!

29 Hayley C @ Running Down the Runway June 24, 2012 at 7:40 pm

OMG I read this post on my way home from my 10k this morning. To say I was drooling on my phone would be an understatement!
Hayley C @ Running Down the Runway recently posted..BAA 10k Recap!

30 Sam June 24, 2012 at 10:47 pm

That sounds like a delicious dinner and something you would find off of Top Chef or something. Dessert looked absolutely delicious too. Love that it came with a glass of milk!
My favorite dessert is this amazingly huge mud pie at a little hole in the wall place my in laws like. Not a fan of dinner, but dessert is outstanding.
<3 Sam
Sam recently posted..Parmessan Chicken Burgers

31 JN June 25, 2012 at 9:29 am

OMG, I am just reading this post this morning after having dined at Prime last night. I ended up getting their Sunday dinner special that came with dessert ($20 for 3 courses). My SO got the Big, Big Chocolate Cake for dessert. Not only did I eat my dessert, but I also ate a good portion of that cake. It was TO DIE FOR! I am also sad to say, between the two of us, we polished it off.

I wish I had tried the pork appetizer. I totally missed it on the menu! But my meal was absolutely delicious and I hope we’ll get to go back again soon (for more cake!)

32 Geraldine June 25, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Silence when eating – a true sign of a delicious meal!! The chocolate dessert looks so decadent. I usually share dessert with my boyfriend too but sometimes when a dessert is delicious it’s sooo hard to restrain myself from hogging the majority of bites ;-)

33 erica June 25, 2012 at 2:56 pm

hands down my favorite restaurant dessert is Roy’s Chocolate molten cake. nothing has come close. it’s amazing!
erica recently posted..san diego: the zoo

34 DB-The Foodie Stuntman June 26, 2012 at 2:33 am

It looks like a great meal all around and you definitely have a supportive husband. Congratulations for being selected to host a foodbuzz 24X24 party!

35 Shannon June 30, 2012 at 7:28 pm

The best restaurant dessert I’ve ever had? That’s a tough question! I’ll say one of the best desserts that I’ve ever eaten was on Tuesday night: the chocolate mousse at the Lobster Pot in Provincetown, MA. The entire dinner was fantastic, but that mousse was soooooo good, and it beats out Moscatiello’s (that mousse is very filling).

That cake looks good. I’ve been to Angelo’s Prime Bar + Grille for the On the Edge blog 5th birthday party. The food is delicious there, but it’s expensive for a family meal. The cupcakes they served at the party were good. If OTE has a party again, I think they need to make a Big, Big Chocolate Cake for the occasion. :)

36 Colette July 6, 2012 at 3:15 pm

The glass of milk is a very cute idea! My sister always asks for a glass of milk whenever I bake something.