The Best Restaurant Dessert I’ve Ever Had

Oh my gosh, can I just tell you how so, so excited I was for dinner last night?!?

For the month of June, I was given the opportunity to participate in the Foodbuzz 24 x 24 program. When I submitted my proposal, I had said that I wanted to take the opportunity to surprise the hubby with a nice meal out at a fun, new local restaurant.

For the past few months, Jay has been working so hard both at work and around the house. I can’t even begin to explain how thankful I am to have a guy who will do laundry, vacuum and dust because he knows it bothers my asthma, do dishes, clean the pool, mow the lawn (except for that rare occasion that I do it), cook dinners, and then still do 101 other things above and beyond that. I am just so lucky to have this amazing guy in my life.

(one of the best nights EVER right there)

So as a little thank you, I thought it would be nice to treat him to a surprise date night dinner at a new to us restaurant in town, Angelo’s Prime Bar + Grill.

I knew I had to make our dinner date a bit early since Jay got unexpectedly called out later in the evening, but it worked well since we were able to score a seat right out on the patio.

Immediately upon seating, we were served a warm bread basket and butter.

The bread was tasty, and those enormous cracker-looking things were actually pretty delicious too. At first, Jay and I didn’t even know what they were and we weren’t quite sure if we should even eat them. Glad we did.

Both of us had eaten pretty lightly during the day and we definitely went with our appetites ready. To start, I told Jay that we absolutely, 100% had to order the 7 Hour Cherry Pepper Pork.

I had the pleasure of trying this menu item quite a few years back when I visited Angelo’s other restaurant, 677 Prime, and was psyched to see it at this location as well.

This dish. Seriously incredible. The pork is so tender and flavorful, the homemade potato chips are perfect, and it has just the perfect amount of spice to it. Jay was definitely a huge fan of this dish, just as I suspected.

For my entrée, I was going back and forth between the salmon and the filet, but since I know I can cook salmon at home, I ultimately decided on the filet mignon.

Such a great decision.

The filet literally just fell apart in my mouth and I loved the fact that it didn’t need a bunch of crazy sauces like that to make it taste good. The flavor was perfect on its own.

The sautéed spinach and mashed potatoes that came with it were also both delicious (I substituted the potatoes for the quinoa since it doesn’t always agree with my stomach and I wasn’t in the mood to risk it). One of the cool things about this dish was that it was on their “Most Healthy” menu, which means it had 700 calories or less…but with the way that plate tasted, it could have had 1,700 and I wouldn’t have cared.

Jay ordered the sirloin which was also amazing.

Needless to say, our dinner was pretty quiet. Winking smile

Now usually when Jay and I go out to eat, we’ll either do an appetizer with dinner, or a dessert with dinner, but not both. Last night, however, was a total exception. After looking at the dessert menu, we both spotted the Big, Big Chocolate Cake and decided we had to have it.

Now most of the time when I’ve ordered a slice of chocolate cake at a restaurant, it’s a decent size, but nothing that makes me think twice about it. I thought it was interesting that the menu listed the item as the Big, Big Chocolate Cake, so I was a bit interested to see what this thing was all about. As Jay and I sat and chatted, I spotted our waitress headed over with our dessert and my immediate reaction was, “Holy s*it, this is almost embarrassing.”

Never, have I ever, seen a piece of cake like this before…

The cake was served with vanilla ice cream, a glass of milk (which I thought was so clever) and some crushed Heath Bar bits (at my request).

This piece of cake may have been embarrassingly large, but after taking my first bite, that whole embarrassment factor was the last thing on my mind. Oh em geee.

The two of us kept looking at each other, smiling and laughing while eating bite after bite of this amazingly decadent concoction. We both also decided that this dessert has now made its way to the top of our list of favorite restaurant desserts. I am not afraid to say that this may be the best restaurant dessert I’ve ever had. Wow.

We made a solid effort in an attempt to finish the whole piece (which our waitress jokingly said she was sure we could tackle), but in the end, we had to throw in the towel.

For us to not finish a dessert (especially one as amazing as this) is a very, very rare occurrence, but ultimately, this thing was just too much. I will most definitely be back for that cake again…but I think next time, I’ll stick to just a salad before.

Jay and I both left with happy and very full bellies, indeed. We were beyond pleased with our experience at Angelo’s Prime Bar + Grill, and I was so happy to have the opportunity to surprise Jay with such a delicious dinner.

I was also pretty happy that I decided to wear pants with a little extra stretch to them. Winking smile

Question for the Morning:

What’s the best restaurant dessert you’ve ever had?

Comments

Tough question! We had our best pizza ever at a place in San Francisco last summer, but our favorite food from a restaurant lately might be a place called Noorish Cafe, a raw vegan eatery. Not only is the food amazing but totally stuff I would not usually make at home, which is something I look for when spending money eating out.
    Lindsey recently posted..Award & 7 Things About Me

Im meeting a friend for dinner tonight and this post just confirms it: dessert is a must! That cake looks insane! One of the best I’ve every had is a fig & almond tart with freshly made cinnamon ice cream…to die for!

I love that you asked for Heath bar bits on the side–they are my favorite! Hmm, I can’t think of a stand-out restaurant dessert (mainly because I don’t eat out very often), but I had some amazing churros in Mexico last year. They were served at the hotel’s breakfast buffet and I would literally eat a plate of them at 10am!
    Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..I’m Moving to New York City!

Wow! Your meal looks so delicious and simple, and that dessert looks out of this world. I like how they give you a glass of milk and some ice cream to go with the decadence of the chocolate cake.
    Best dessert? I remember having some kind of bread pudding in Vegas that was extraordinary… but I can’t remember which restaurant.
    michelle kim recently posted..A Recap Post in Pictures

That cake looks like something special….yum!!!!

The best restaurant dessert I have ever had is homemade smores, from a place called Tillman’s Roadhouse. Every bit of the dessert is homemade, from the marshmallows to the chocolate and graham crackers. The marshmallows come in orange, maple and original flavors and the chocolate is also available in different flavors. SO, SO, SO good!!!!
    Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Bacon Broccoli Crustless Quiche

My goodness…those meals looks absolutely wonderful! and that cake…let’s not even get me started on that cake! Talk about a great date night :) So happy you enjoyed it! On a side note I made your Neapolitan cupcakes and Orange Cream Soda Pop Cupcakes for a kids fundraiser today! I’m sure they are going to be an absolute hit :)

7. Erin says

The best dessert I had was at Mannys Steakhouse. It was a gigantic banana split using SOFT SERVE ice cream! There even was a waffle cone on top of it all and it was filled with real whipped cream!! It cost like $20, no joke!!

I dont really remember the best dessert at a restaurant, but my husband and I recently enjoyed homemade sorbetto in Italy; a scoop of homemade DARK CHOCOLATE sorbetto and a scoop of rasberry were an amazing combination that made us have to go back for more the next day!
    it sounds like you are so blessed to have Jay in your life. That is how I feel about my husband too and it is really nice to see with all these dysfunctional families (mine is one of them and I worked in alternative education where pretty much all my students came from some sort of broken home) that there is still honest love in the world.
    Sorry for being cheesy I just really enjoyed this post :-)
    have a good sunday!
    CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com recently posted..Cry For Help?

9. Laura says

wow, that looks awesome!! i love how you “treated” your husband to a free dinner…haha! guess it’s the thought that counts..looks great!!

• Courtney says

Hahaha, I know, right? I was going to do it whether or not my proposal got accepted, but the fact that it did made it pretty great :)

• Laura says

oh, there’s no shame!! i’m guilty of only “taking my boyfriend out” if i have a groupon or gift certificate. oops :)

ommgnesss that pork dish looks amazing!!! I like chocolate cake but not THAT much, so I’d definitely stick with the pork dish and be happy! :) The best dessert ever? Oh goshthat’s a hard one….I think I’ll go with the pumpkin pie from a cafe that my husband and I just LOVE. It’s called Urth Caffe and it’s in LA. The crust is sooooo crisp and cookie like, while the filling is really decadent and perfect. The slice is ginormous too!
    Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Recipe for a Mexican Fiesta and My Homegirls

LOVE this!! I’m SO glad you two got to enjoy a fun night out together, filled with awesome food. & that cake…O.M.G. is right! HOLYMOLY it looks TO DIE FOR! Can you send some to FL? I’m pretty sure that I could tackle that whole thing for myself right now!!!
    Holly recently posted..Over Halfway There!

12. JN says

OMG, I am just reading this post this morning after having dined at Prime last night. I ended up getting their Sunday dinner special that came with dessert ($20 for 3 courses). My SO got the Big, Big Chocolate Cake for dessert. Not only did I eat my dessert, but I also ate a good portion of that cake. It was TO DIE FOR! I am also sad to say, between the two of us, we polished it off.

I wish I had tried the pork appetizer. I totally missed it on the menu! But my meal was absolutely delicious and I hope we’ll get to go back again soon (for more cake!)

Silence when eating – a true sign of a delicious meal!! The chocolate dessert looks so decadent. I usually share dessert with my boyfriend too but sometimes when a dessert is delicious it’s sooo hard to restrain myself from hogging the majority of bites ;-)

The best restaurant dessert I’ve ever had? That’s a tough question! I’ll say one of the best desserts that I’ve ever eaten was on Tuesday night: the chocolate mousse at the Lobster Pot in Provincetown, MA. The entire dinner was fantastic, but that mousse was soooooo good, and it beats out Moscatiello’s (that mousse is very filling).

That cake looks good. I’ve been to Angelo’s Prime Bar + Grille for the On the Edge blog 5th birthday party. The food is delicious there, but it’s expensive for a family meal. The cupcakes they served at the party were good. If OTE has a party again, I think they need to make a Big, Big Chocolate Cake for the occasion. :)

Trackbacks