2012 Summer Yard Olympics

by Courtney on August 26, 2012

Let me tell ya…I have some fun and creative friends!

Early yesterday evening, Jay and I headed over to our friends Brook & Andrea’s house for a fun day of games, food, drinks, and celebrating (in addition to the summer games, we were also celebrating Brook’s recent birthday).

They even had prizes. So cute!!

By the time we arrived, there were already some snacks and beverages out, which I enjoyed a little bit of.

That orange pitcher there is filled with Andrea’s famous “Summer Beer.” I can’t remember exactly what it is, but I think there’s at least beer, some sort of liquor, and maybe Sprite? Whatever it is…it’s always good.

Also good? This incredible champagne sangria. Yes…champagne sangria.

Made with raspberry filled ice cubes, which melted into lots of yummy raspberries. Such a good idea!

I was also really excited to finally be able to meet Brook and Andrea’s newest addition to the family. Meet Sydney!

It’s she a cutie?!? She was so good all day, and basically roamed and ran around the yard as we all played. She almost made me want my own puppy for about .5 seconds, and then I came to my senses. Winking smile

Once a few more people arrived, we all got geared up to begin our Summer Yard Olympics. Now when I said I had some fun and creative friends, I really wasn’t kidding!

We had five different games to play: beer pong, washer toss, horse balls, corn hole, and beersbee, and each one was set up with an instruction board on how to play.

We even had our own “Olympic torches” throughout the playing field.

My first game I had to play was washer toss, and I can say with 100% certainty that I would be okay if I never, ever play that game again. Ughh, it was so frustrating! Luckily, I had Mal over with me to keep me sane.

My second game was horse balls, which has long been a favorite of mine. Me and my partner won that one – WOOP!

Another game that wasn’t my favorite? Beersbee. Basically, you have to always be holding a beer/beverage, and have to throw the frisbee to the other person. If the other person drops it, you get a point. If you knock off the water bottle from the pole, you get 3 points. And if you put down your drink at any time, your opponent gets 3 points.

I’m thinking the main reason this game wasn’t my favorite was because it was pitch black when I played. Not exactly easy for frisbee catching! Yet somehow, I still won. Another WOOP!

As the evening went on, we all continued playing our games.

And they still continued well after dark. A little extra challenge, if you will.

Eventually, everyone finished up and the scoreboard was filled in. Check out #6 there! Four 10’s and a stinkin’ 4 thanks to that darn washer toss. Not too shabby!

As Andrea tallied up the scores, everyone went ahead and had some dinner. I didn’t realize it was almost 9pm by this point, and I was hungry. I made a plate with two mini hot dogs, homemade potato salad, and some french fries.

As we were eating, the medal ceremony took place – yes we even had homemade medals!

Here’s our version of the Olympic podium of winners…

Check out who got the gold, baby! Even though it was really Andrea who scored perfect 10’s across the board, she gave up her winning status, putting me with the gold, Mal with the silver, and Sarah with the bronze.

Love these girls!

I had to give Jay a little bit of a hard time about our differences in medals.

Don’t worry babe – bronze is still something to be proud of! Winking smile

The boys.

Toward the end of the evening, I ended up sitting near the desserts and, well, let’s just say that that did not go well. Rice krispy treats, some of the most incredible chocolate chip cookies I’ve ever had (in the blue bowl – Monica, I think these would have ended your hunt for the best chocolate chip), more cookie bars, and my contribution – Triple Chip Blondies.

I don’t even know how many I had. You know how it goes – a small one here, start talking to a friend. A small one there, then you need another. Ooof.

Luckily, I didn’t feel like too much of a slug, since all of us girls went inside later in the evening and started bustin’ a move to our favorite game. Eventually, it was time to head back home, but man, did we have a good time! Smile

1 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 26, 2012 at 9:16 am

Sounds like such a fun night with friends. What a cool theme too!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Summer Bucket List – Completed!

2 Angela @ Health's Angel August 26, 2012 at 9:19 am

Horse balls!? Haha I’ve never heard anyone call it that before! Too funny! We call it lawn golf. I love playing it at the beach. :-)
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..I’m Still Here!

3 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness August 26, 2012 at 9:27 am

That looks like so much fun!!! You really do have some creative friends!!!
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..Gluten Free Peanut Butter Banana Bread!

4 Blog is the New Black August 26, 2012 at 9:28 am

Creative friends, indeed!

5 Stephanie August 26, 2012 at 10:03 am

What a super cute idea for a party! Your friends did a great job. I’m going to pin this for future inspiration :)
Stephanie recently posted..A Difficult Run

6 Katy August 26, 2012 at 10:05 am

What a great idea! I love the events. My friends would love something like this. We are all pretty competitive so it may get ugly. :-)
Katy recently posted..If You Like It Then You Shoulda…..

7 Khushboo August 26, 2012 at 10:27 am

Between last night & date night, you sure had a creative (and very fun) weekend! Side note: you are looking GREAT, girl! :-)
Khushboo recently posted..This, that & the other

8 Sarah B. August 26, 2012 at 10:59 am

What a fun group of friends you guys have! I could definitely see some of my buddies doing something like this, too. I think I drooled a little when I saw those sweet potato fries on your plate. MMM!
Sarah B. recently posted..The Farthest I’ve Ever Run

9 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers August 26, 2012 at 11:20 am

How fun! What a great group of friends you have!!! I love the prizes! :)
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Weekly Recap

10 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige August 26, 2012 at 11:37 am

Your friends are awesome! How freakin’ creative. Also, I WANT Sydney!
Paige @ Your Trainer Paige recently posted..Sunday Snippets

11 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights August 26, 2012 at 1:28 pm

What an awesome idea for a summer party! Hopefully by the time Rio rolls around JP and I will have a house so we can host a Summer Olympics party–brilliant!
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..Cheesehead Half Marathon Recap: Live and Learn

12 kim@hungryhealthygirl August 26, 2012 at 1:30 pm

One a fun day! Someone is very creative. Don’t feel bad, I’m the same way when it comes to desserts. ;)
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Powermeal Day & 2 yummy recipes

13 Lauren August 26, 2012 at 1:59 pm

What a fun night! We did Office Olympics once and had such a blast so I can only imagine what happens when Sangria comes to the party. :)
Lauren recently posted..Bloggers Come Together: How To Organize A Blogger Meet-Up

14 Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie August 26, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Way to go for the gold girl!! This looks like such a fun night, what an awesome party idea. I always wish the Olympics were around for longer, they’re so much fun to watch!

15 Laura @Running Maryland August 26, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Hello Coolest Idea EVER! I love it. When I have money and friends again this will be on my list of awesome ideas to do. I love it.
Laura @Running Maryland recently posted..Personal time

16 Katie (Goober Nut's Life) August 26, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Coolest party idea ever! Congrats on winning the gold. ;)
Katie (Goober Nut’s Life) recently posted..California Vacation: The Family + Iva’s Cottage

17 Julie @ Sweetly Balanced August 26, 2012 at 4:13 pm

This is such a cute/fun idea!!! I wish summer wasn’t practically over otherwise I would have a party like this myself!! Oh well there’s always the next Olympics!! And congrats on winning! ;)
Julie @ Sweetly Balanced recently posted..Engagement Party Fun

18 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries August 26, 2012 at 5:15 pm

That is BY FAR one of the coolest party’s I’ve ever seen. What creative and fun ideas!! And bravo to you for bringing home the gold ;)
Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..Healthy Living Summit – Days 2 & 3

19 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy August 26, 2012 at 5:24 pm

What a fun idea! I’ll have to remember this…in 4 years :).
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Friday Things

20 Bek @ Crave August 26, 2012 at 6:30 pm

That is so creative! What a great idea :) Haha, don’t worry about the desserts- it won’t hurt just this once :) Ps. Just think- you were actually having some for each of your readers right? Giving back to those who read your blog hehe ;)
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Getting back to it

21 Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 26, 2012 at 6:35 pm

What an awesome idea!!! I really love how creative your friends got with everything. Congrats on your gold! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..The easiest and most delicious pasta recipe ever.

22 Meredith @ Dare You To August 26, 2012 at 6:46 pm

This is sooo fun and creative!!! Sounds like a blast. Congrats on your victory!
Meredith @ Dare You To recently posted..Recap: HLS12 Day 3

23 Mary August 26, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Hey! Great job!! Can you get us the recipe for champagne Sangria?

24 Courtney August 26, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Hmmm, I can try…but I don’t think there was much of a “recipe” to it, haha :)

25 Alison August 26, 2012 at 7:19 pm

That is so awesome! Looks like you all had a blast! Congrats on the gold medal :D

26 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 26, 2012 at 7:55 pm

That’s a creative party if I’ve ever seen one!

Congrats on your gold ;-) Of course, you’ll have to rub that in your husband’s face for a while! lol
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..It Was a Two Desserts Sort of Night.

27 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 26, 2012 at 9:49 pm

This looks like so much fun! Love the “medals”!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Blogger Bonding

28 Connie August 27, 2012 at 6:02 am

Is it just me, or do I need new friends?? Hahaha just kidding! Love my friends! This is such a cool idea, and I can’t imagine how much work they put into planning this.. maybe I’ll have to do this for the next Olympics. At least I have 4 years to plan;)
Connie recently posted..It’s been a rough few days…

29 Sue August 27, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Is there anyway you could share that chocolate chip cookie recipe (or send me the name of the person I should ask)? I have been in search of the perfect chocolate chip cookie and those look incredible. Thanks.

Sue

30 Courtney August 27, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I wish. Sadly, the recipe is top secret, because the guy who made them may begin selling them in a local restaurant. I wanted the recipe SO bad!!

31 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill August 28, 2012 at 10:31 am

Oh my gosh–my sister and I used to make summer beer in her college dorm room. We literally filled a bucket with beer, vodka, and lemonade and would pass it around before going out! So funny (and delicious!).
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Retro Birthday Bash