An Update on My Exercise Routine With HA

by Courtney on August 27, 2012

Sometimes, a simple salad does the trick.

Other times? A big, beautiful, complex salad full of delicious and surprising flavors is just what the doctor ordered.

Today happened to be the latter. Winking smile

As I was rummaging through my fridge this afternoon, I knew I was in the mood for a salad, but kept coming across all of the delicious fruit we currently have on hand. I’ve long been a fan of putting fruit in my salads, so I figured today would be the perfect opportunity.

Here’s what we’ve got:

• romaine and spinach
  • cucumbers
  • beets
  • bread & butter pickles
  • strawberries
  • peach (1/2 of one)
  • blueberries
  • green grapes
  • low-sodium deli turkey
  • feta cheese

I topped it off with a couple tablespoons of this delicious dressing and called it a day masterpiece. This thing was serious business!

Before lunch, I did manage to get my workout in for the day…speaking of which, I figured it’d be a good time to give you all a little update on my exercise routine.

As you guys know, I’ve cut back quite a bit on the exercise. While most of my workouts still only consist of walking and yoga, I talked to my doctor a bit and got the go-ahead to incorporate some light weights as well. Still being cautious about everything, I’m making sure to stick to a very light weight training program:

• nothing above my 5lb weights
  • no jumping/plyometric movements
  • simple, steady exercises

I’ve also been incorporating some various bodyweight exercises here and there, such as leg lifts, bridges, pushups on knees, or chair dips. Actually, my “No Weights Required” Office Workout has happened a couple of times, with only a few slight alterations.

Earlier today, I came across this simple, 10-minute strength building workout and decided to give it a try.

I nixed the jumping jacks, but did pretty much all of the rest of the moves, either with my 5 pound weights or without any at all.

I followed up today’s workout with 20 minutes of yoga for a nice, good stretch.

A lot of people have asked me whether or not it’s hard for me to cut back on the exercise lately, because of my HA diagnosis, and I’m not going to lie. It has. It’s been very hard. Some days have been frustrating than others, but they ARE getting easier, and I know it’s all for the right reasons. Because let’s face it…I want my own little bundle of joy soon and I, by no means, want to do anything to jeopardize that. I mentioned briefly before that my body has shown signs of making progress (WAHOO!), and I want to continue in that direction.

I’ve been told that I’m a pretty determined person; when I want something, I’m going to go after it. And I’m going to do whatever it takes to make it happen. That being said, I’m learning to embrace my lighter exercise more and more everyday.

Besides…I’m actually not minding staying away from the burpees these days. Winking smile

1 Alysia @ Slim Sanity August 27, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I’m glad to hear things are getting better for you!
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..busy and forgetful

2 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile August 27, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I LOVE fruit in my salads. Throw some cheese in there, YUM! I’m glad to hear that everything is getting better on the fitness front. I know it is probably difficult mentally, but it’s all for a great cause! :)
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..Maaaaavelous

3 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries August 27, 2012 at 2:08 pm

That salad is so colorful and looks delicious! I need to try to be more creative with some of my salads at home. I tend to use the same toppings & dressings on a regular basis and then wonder why I get sick of salads! Ha.

Again, so proud of you Court! I felt like I could’ve written those words exactly a few months ago. :) Love you!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Stepping Away

4 Angela @ Health's Angel August 27, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Keep on with that positive attitude and you’ll be golden! On a different note, your salads always look so incredible. I need to recreate sometime!
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..The Sights of Oregon

5 Debbie (Accidently Delish) August 27, 2012 at 2:10 pm

hope all is well with you lady and i am so proud that you are able to listen to your body and respect what it needs. i know that is so hard sometimes.

i love those fitsugar work outs i do some as well since i am not suppose to be doing any intense work outs. try fitnessblender.com as well. they have some great low key exercise routines i do as well.
Debbie (Accidently Delish) recently posted..By: Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile

6 Courtney August 27, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Thanks, Debbie! I’ll definitely check that out!

7 Elaine August 27, 2012 at 2:11 pm

So glad to hear you are starting to see signs of progress! That’s great :) and I’m sure that only fuels the drive and motivation to continue!
Elaine recently posted..Beans and Greens

8 Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog August 27, 2012 at 2:22 pm

So happy to hear that things are getting better!!

9 Khushboo August 27, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Love this post and you are a constant inspiration! As long as your moving in some way possible, you will undoubtedly reap the benefits…intense or not! You are heading in the right direction, Courtney so stick to it :)
Khushboo recently posted..2012 resolutions…revisited

10 Courtney August 27, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Thanks, girl! I actually read your email every now and then for inspiration. < –True story :)

11 Khushboo Thadani August 28, 2012 at 12:41 am

As I do with some of your posts :)
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..2012 resolutions…revisited

12 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine August 27, 2012 at 2:25 pm

So happy about your progress. I’m glad it’s getting easier for you and you know it will all be worth it in the end :)
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Housekeeping

13 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 27, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I’m so happy to hear you’re making progress, Courtney. You definitely do have courage and determination in tackling your issue head on, ESPECIALLY while being so open about it in the blogosphere.

YOU GO GIRL! Now, about that bundle of joy… :D
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Simple Almond Butter

14 Courtney August 27, 2012 at 7:05 pm
15 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance August 27, 2012 at 2:28 pm

You’re doing a great job–in fact, it was hard to tell that not exercising has been difficult. I would imagine it would be, but you didn’t mention that it was a struggle, so I just thought you were a super-star about it. ;)

Hang in there. It sounds like you’re on the right track! You should be very proud of yourself!
Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Eek–I almost broke my food processor!

16 Courtney August 27, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Hahaha, I wish I was a super-star about it! ;)

17 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } August 27, 2012 at 2:39 pm

After a few months of struggling with amenorrhea last year and having to cut back on my exercising I’m now back to ‘normal’ and looking forward to having a baby myself in the next 2ish years. It’s not as hard to deal with putting on a bit of weight and cutting back on something you love when you’ve got that awesomeness to look forward to :)
Erica { EricaDHouse.com } recently posted..Blackwater Heritage State Trail

18 Michelle@Peachy Palate August 27, 2012 at 2:53 pm

You’re doing a great job, keep up the great work; you are inspiring many and it really is for the greater good. Not being able to have children was the final nail in the coffin for me when it came to facing up to my eating disorder. Yummy salad too btw!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Fantastic Suggestion!

19 Stephanie August 27, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Great job on your progress! It’s very brave of you to share on your blog. I know how frustrating it can be when you love to workout and it’s part of your daily routine but you can’t for health or other personal reasons. Way to keep your chin up! :)
Stephanie recently posted..Making Paleo Oatmeal

20 Amanda August 27, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I’m glad things are better for you, and that you’re able to incorporate more into your workouts! I hear ya on the burpees – anything to not do them is FINE by me! :)
Amanda recently posted..Amanda Takes a Tumble

21 kim@hungryhealthygirl August 27, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I love fruit in my salad too! I don’t know if I’ve ever put that much, but it sure does look delicious. A good excuse to not do burpees….now you have to appreciate that! ;)
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..The first day of school is Marvelous?!?!?!

22 Brandi August 27, 2012 at 3:16 pm

You have a great outlook and I am so glad that you are seeing results from the changes! :) Thank you for sharing Courtney!

23 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness August 27, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I’m so proud of you for sticking to this! I love that you are making your health your number one priority and think you are such an outstanding example of a very healthy woman!
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..Marvelous in My Monday

24 Courtney August 27, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Thank you so much, Danielle! That means so much :)

25 Karla August 27, 2012 at 3:35 pm

I commend you for sharing this with us. I enjoy reading about bloggers who are following doctor’s orders, listening to their bodies, and treating their bodies with kindness. I am currently struggling with similar issues and find inspiration in posts like these. Thank you for writing and sharing!

26 Courtney August 27, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Best of luck to you, Karla!

27 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction August 27, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Glad its all working out :)
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..#HLS12 Recap Day 2

28 Courtney August 27, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Thanks, pretty lady ;)

29 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 27, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Glad to hear that you’re seeing some progress. I would imagine it could be difficult to cut down on exercise, but it’s for a fantastic reason!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Blogger Bonding

30 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 27, 2012 at 4:53 pm

The more toppings on a salad, the better in my opinion. :-)

Glad to see you’re taking it all in stride in regards to the HA – even if it sucks now, it’ll be worth it later for sure.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Clean It Up Week.

31 Brittany @ Little b's healthy habits August 27, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Oh my goodness your salad looks awesome!!
Brittany @ Little b’s healthy habits recently posted..Fitness and Alcohol

32 Madison August 27, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Congrats on the progress!!! I laughed when I saw your salad because I do the same thing. I think I rifle through my fridge and whatever sounds good ends up in the bowl. They end up being the best most satisfying salads!!
Madison recently posted..Falling into Fall

33 Tessa @ Amazing Asset August 27, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Thank you for the update Courtney! This is something I am investigating with my doctor and it’s helpful to hear from you and that it is going well :)
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..The Hindrance of Over-Thinking

34 Courtney August 27, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Best of luck to you, Tessa! That’s great that you’re looking into things – better to nip it in the bud as early as possible.

35 Christina August 27, 2012 at 6:17 pm

I’m so happy you are doing what you have to do to get the oven ready, so to speak :) It’s comforting to read this because it gives me hope that my body can get healthy again too. Thank you so much for sharing.

36 Courtney August 27, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Yes, it definitely can! Just listen to it and give it what it needs :)

37 Danica @ It's Progression August 27, 2012 at 6:19 pm

So happy to hear things are improving…You’re absolutely right that your someday-baby will be 100% worth every tough minute of this all!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..whether you think you can or you can’t: you’re right.

38 Shana August 27, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Reading blogs has been especially helpful for me in a variety of ways. It’s pushed me to do things I don’t normally do and challenged me mentally, physically and emotionally. With all the postives to blog reading, I am just now considering some of the negative impacts that I have allowed to happen over time, such as comparing myself to the blogger, thinking I can eat or exercise the way another blogger eats, or feeling inadequate compared to other bloggers or commenters. I love your message and your reminder that each person is unique and everyone’s personal definition of healthy will be different. I am inspired by your ability to step back from an amount of exercise that wasn’t working for you. Its nice to know that being healthy doesn’t have to mean being able to do 100 burpees a minute and instead is about our bodies being able to do what they were designed to do. Long story short, thank you for your willingness to share your story!
Shana recently posted..The Fall of Summer

39 Courtney August 27, 2012 at 6:56 pm

You’re so very welcome :)
Thank YOU for sharing your thoughts! I couldn’t agree with you more.

40 Brittany @ Delights and Delectables August 27, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Love that you are seeing progress!! This looks like a perfect plan! :) Thank you for being such a great source of encouragement and inspiration. xoxo
Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted..MIMM #12 and Meatless Monday

41 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 27, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I’m so proud of you! You’re definitely taking the HARD road, but I can tell you that it is so worth it!!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..mia’s first birthday

42 Diane August 27, 2012 at 7:44 pm

What a coincidence! I actually was watching that workout and thinking “Hey this is do-able”.

So proud of you! xx
Diane recently posted..Things I’m Loving This Week #3

43 Mo August 27, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Thanks for sharing your workout/workout ideas. I am on a modified workout routine secondary to some post partum complications and have been told no impact and weights 5 lb or less. I felt like there is nothing I can do, but seeing this is giving me some ideas. Please keep posting your workouts – very helpful.

PS- you are doing great keeping your eye on the prize. And, it only prepares you for motherhood and having to sacrifice our workouts sometimes for baby :-)

44 Lauren August 27, 2012 at 8:45 pm

You are so inspiring! Really, I had SO much more trouble than you, which is how I know i probably wasn’t quite ready. You are going to make an incredible mother someday. :)
Lauren recently posted..The Best Chicken Enchiladas Recipe

45 Tara Burner August 27, 2012 at 9:07 pm

that salad looks soooooooooooooooo delish!
Tara Burner recently posted..Whooha Gear Review & Giveaway

46 Alexandra C August 27, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Just lately realizing that I am in the exact same boat…I’ve kind of had a feeling for a while as my periods have been super infrequent but never cared until now when my husband and I are ready to start trying to have kids- I have completely cut back on intense exercise and although it’s only been a week it has been difficult because running was my ME time and a huge stress reliever for me- the only thing that keeps me going is looking a the bigger picture and reminding myself of the end goal and my number 1 goal in life- being a mom! Nothing is more important to me than that! Thank you for sharing your story and for being an excellent role model! Ill keep u in my prayers :)

47 Jessica August 27, 2012 at 9:28 pm

You really inspire me, your attitude and balance toward health and fitness. I love your blog and read it daily. Thank you! :-)

48 michelle kim August 27, 2012 at 9:50 pm

OMG! Your salad looks amazing, ESPECIALLY those beets! I looooove beets :D

49 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy August 27, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I’m glad that things are getting better for you! If you’re looking to mix up your routine, I love Sadie Lincoln’s Barre3 DVD… it incorporates ballet, yoga and pilates, and is a great, gentle workout that burns in a good way.
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Marvelous in My Monday

50 Meg August 27, 2012 at 11:49 pm

I’m so happy to hear your bod has been making progress love <3 you're doing all of the right things! love you so much! you're my gem xo
Meg recently posted..Edamame and Kale in Avocado Salad Cups

51 Miz August 28, 2012 at 5:46 am

so so so grateful youre being super smart about all this and listening to your bod.
and the doc :-)
Miz recently posted..Boobs (not a sponsored post).

52 Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 28, 2012 at 7:01 am

Sounds like you’re continuing to do the right thing for yourself. Good for you!! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Things that are making me smile right now.

53 Heather August 28, 2012 at 8:00 am

so happy to hear that light weightlifting has been brought back to the picture :) So proud of you for taking care of your HEALTH, my dear! xo
Heather recently posted..Twosday VII

54 Parita August 28, 2012 at 8:59 am

You’re an inspiration, Courtney! Good job on doing what’s right for YOU!

55 Heather @ For the Love of Kale August 28, 2012 at 1:57 pm

YOU GO GIRL!!! I’m so happy for / proud of you for taking charge of your body. You’re inspiring so many girls and women out there to check themselves and do what’s best for them. :-)
Heather @ For the Love of Kale recently posted..Sexy Shoulders Superset Workout!

56 Rachel August 28, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I am so glad you are finding your way back to health.

I am facing a similar problem with my health, and have a doctor’s appointment scheduled to figure out what is wrong with my body, although I know that the answer is probably my excessive exercise and very low caloric intake. Hopefully I can find healing like you.

On my blog, I decided to put up a post about coming clean with my problem too. My blog isn’t as heavily read as yours, but I figure it might help someone to relate to me because I know it helped me to relate to you. If you wanna take a look I think my website is part of my comment.

Keeping you in my prayers!! Thanks for all your posts!
Rachel recently posted..A New Kind of Workout

57 Jaclyn August 28, 2012 at 7:41 pm

When you say things seem to be getting better, what do you mean by that? I only ask because I have struggled with this, so I wonder what progress you are seeing.
Jaclyn recently posted..3 states, 2 books, 1 day

58 Courtney August 29, 2012 at 8:31 am

I’ve had Aunt Flow return once ;)

59 Jaclyn September 1, 2012 at 1:16 am

I’m so proud of you (well that sounds kinda weird, haha) but seriously, you sharing all of this with everyone…and ACTUALLY MAKING STEPS TO CHANGE/FIX the problem.. I think you have gained some major points with readers- at least with me!- and while I would never wish this upon any woman, I really think you are letting your true [bright :)] colors show with being able to kick this thing in the face. It’s really annoying to see/hear/read bloggers talk about this and how they are ‘going to change’ but never actually do. I know how HARD it can be, I’m sure it hasn’t been easy for you, but I have to say that recently you seem to have a glow to you, you look like you are so much HAPPIER and just enjoying lIFE and I think that is what really matters, no?!

Plus, you and Jay will make some pretty cute lil’ bebes and I can’t wait to see that happen for you <3
Jaclyn recently posted..3 states, 2 books, 1 day

60 Connie August 29, 2012 at 7:59 am

You are such a great role model Courtney! It’s great that you can take an unfortunate situation and turn it into something more positive, and I’m sure others are learning from you as well. I’m so happy that you are doing better and learning to embrace the exercise that you can do. I wish you an even speedier recovery, so you can join in on those torturous burpees;)
Connie recently posted..Gym Preference

61 Courtney August 29, 2012 at 8:32 am

Hahaha, thank you so much, Connie! :)

62 Andrea (Run. Learn. Repeat.) August 31, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I’m so glad you shared this! I’m in the same boat right now. We’ve been trying to have another baby for over 1.5 years and have been working with fertility specialists etc. and I’ve finally accepted the fact that I won’t get pregnant again unless I cut back on the excessive exercising. It is hard, and it’s taken me 1.5 years to finally accept that and let go. These posts about your HA will definitely be a source of motivation and support for me. I’m learning to enjoy yoga and walking in place of running and weights too. :) Thanks for sharing your story!
Andrea (Run. Learn. Repeat.) recently posted..Things I Learned at My First Tri