An Update on My Exercise Routine With HA

Sometimes, a simple salad does the trick.

Other times? A big, beautiful, complex salad full of delicious and surprising flavors is just what the doctor ordered.

Today happened to be the latter. Winking smile

As I was rummaging through my fridge this afternoon, I knew I was in the mood for a salad, but kept coming across all of the delicious fruit we currently have on hand. I’ve long been a fan of putting fruit in my salads, so I figured today would be the perfect opportunity.

Here’s what we’ve got:

• romaine and spinach
  • cucumbers
  • beets
  • bread & butter pickles
  • strawberries
  • peach (1/2 of one)
  • blueberries
  • green grapes
  • low-sodium deli turkey
  • feta cheese

I topped it off with a couple tablespoons of this delicious dressing and called it a day masterpiece. This thing was serious business!

Before lunch, I did manage to get my workout in for the day…speaking of which, I figured it’d be a good time to give you all a little update on my exercise routine.

As you guys know, I’ve cut back quite a bit on the exercise. While most of my workouts still only consist of walking and yoga, I talked to my doctor a bit and got the go-ahead to incorporate some light weights as well. Still being cautious about everything, I’m making sure to stick to a very light weight training program:

• nothing above my 5lb weights
  • no jumping/plyometric movements
  • simple, steady exercises

I’ve also been incorporating some various bodyweight exercises here and there, such as leg lifts, bridges, pushups on knees, or chair dips. Actually, my “No Weights Required” Office Workout has happened a couple of times, with only a few slight alterations.

Earlier today, I came across this simple, 10-minute strength building workout and decided to give it a try.

I nixed the jumping jacks, but did pretty much all of the rest of the moves, either with my 5 pound weights or without any at all.

I followed up today’s workout with 20 minutes of yoga for a nice, good stretch.

A lot of people have asked me whether or not it’s hard for me to cut back on the exercise lately, because of my HA diagnosis, and I’m not going to lie. It has. It’s been very hard. Some days have been frustrating than others, but they ARE getting easier, and I know it’s all for the right reasons. Because let’s face it…I want my own little bundle of joy soon and I, by no means, want to do anything to jeopardize that. I mentioned briefly before that my body has shown signs of making progress (WAHOO!), and I want to continue in that direction.

I’ve been told that I’m a pretty determined person; when I want something, I’m going to go after it. And I’m going to do whatever it takes to make it happen. That being said, I’m learning to embrace my lighter exercise more and more everyday.

Besides…I’m actually not minding staying away from the burpees these days. Winking smile

That salad is so colorful and looks delicious! I need to try to be more creative with some of my salads at home. I tend to use the same toppings & dressings on a regular basis and then wonder why I get sick of salads! Ha.

Again, so proud of you Court! I felt like I could’ve written those words exactly a few months ago. :) Love you!
    Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Stepping Away

hope all is well with you lady and i am so proud that you are able to listen to your body and respect what it needs. i know that is so hard sometimes.

i love those fitsugar work outs i do some as well since i am not suppose to be doing any intense work outs. try as well. they have some great low key exercise routines i do as well.
    Debbie (Accidently Delish) recently posted..By: Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile

After a few months of struggling with amenorrhea last year and having to cut back on my exercising I’m now back to ‘normal’ and looking forward to having a baby myself in the next 2ish years. It’s not as hard to deal with putting on a bit of weight and cutting back on something you love when you’ve got that awesomeness to look forward to :)
    Erica { } recently posted..Blackwater Heritage State Trail

You’re doing a great job, keep up the great work; you are inspiring many and it really is for the greater good. Not being able to have children was the final nail in the coffin for me when it came to facing up to my eating disorder. Yummy salad too btw!
    Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Fantastic Suggestion!

5. Stephanie says

Great job on your progress! It’s very brave of you to share on your blog. I know how frustrating it can be when you love to workout and it’s part of your daily routine but you can’t for health or other personal reasons. Way to keep your chin up! :)
    Stephanie recently posted..Making Paleo Oatmeal

I commend you for sharing this with us. I enjoy reading about bloggers who are following doctor’s orders, listening to their bodies, and treating their bodies with kindness. I am currently struggling with similar issues and find inspiration in posts like these. Thank you for writing and sharing!

Congrats on the progress!!! I laughed when I saw your salad because I do the same thing. I think I rifle through my fridge and whatever sounds good ends up in the bowl. They end up being the best most satisfying salads!!
    Madison recently posted..Falling into Fall

• Courtney says

Best of luck to you, Tessa! That’s great that you’re looking into things – better to nip it in the bud as early as possible.

8. Christina says

I’m so happy you are doing what you have to do to get the oven ready, so to speak :) It’s comforting to read this because it gives me hope that my body can get healthy again too. Thank you so much for sharing.

Reading blogs has been especially helpful for me in a variety of ways. It’s pushed me to do things I don’t normally do and challenged me mentally, physically and emotionally. With all the postives to blog reading, I am just now considering some of the negative impacts that I have allowed to happen over time, such as comparing myself to the blogger, thinking I can eat or exercise the way another blogger eats, or feeling inadequate compared to other bloggers or commenters. I love your message and your reminder that each person is unique and everyone’s personal definition of healthy will be different. I am inspired by your ability to step back from an amount of exercise that wasn’t working for you. Its nice to know that being healthy doesn’t have to mean being able to do 100 burpees a minute and instead is about our bodies being able to do what they were designed to do. Long story short, thank you for your willingness to share your story!
    Shana recently posted..The Fall of Summer

10. Mo says

Thanks for sharing your workout/workout ideas. I am on a modified workout routine secondary to some post partum complications and have been told no impact and weights 5 lb or less. I felt like there is nothing I can do, but seeing this is giving me some ideas. Please keep posting your workouts – very helpful.

PS- you are doing great keeping your eye on the prize. And, it only prepares you for motherhood and having to sacrifice our workouts sometimes for baby :-)

11. Alexandra C says

Just lately realizing that I am in the exact same boat…I’ve kind of had a feeling for a while as my periods have been super infrequent but never cared until now when my husband and I are ready to start trying to have kids- I have completely cut back on intense exercise and although it’s only been a week it has been difficult because running was my ME time and a huge stress reliever for me- the only thing that keeps me going is looking a the bigger picture and reminding myself of the end goal and my number 1 goal in life- being a mom! Nothing is more important to me than that! Thank you for sharing your story and for being an excellent role model! Ill keep u in my prayers :)

12. Jessica says

You really inspire me, your attitude and balance toward health and fitness. I love your blog and read it daily. Thank you! :-)

I am so glad you are finding your way back to health.

I am facing a similar problem with my health, and have a doctor’s appointment scheduled to figure out what is wrong with my body, although I know that the answer is probably my excessive exercise and very low caloric intake. Hopefully I can find healing like you.

On my blog, I decided to put up a post about coming clean with my problem too. My blog isn’t as heavily read as yours, but I figure it might help someone to relate to me because I know it helped me to relate to you. If you wanna take a look I think my website is part of my comment.

Keeping you in my prayers!! Thanks for all your posts!
    Rachel recently posted..A New Kind of Workout

• says

I’m so proud of you (well that sounds kinda weird, haha) but seriously, you sharing all of this with everyone…and ACTUALLY MAKING STEPS TO CHANGE/FIX the problem.. I think you have gained some major points with readers- at least with me!- and while I would never wish this upon any woman, I really think you are letting your true [bright :)] colors show with being able to kick this thing in the face. It’s really annoying to see/hear/read bloggers talk about this and how they are ‘going to change’ but never actually do. I know how HARD it can be, I’m sure it hasn’t been easy for you, but I have to say that recently you seem to have a glow to you, you look like you are so much HAPPIER and just enjoying lIFE and I think that is what really matters, no?!

Plus, you and Jay will make some pretty cute lil’ bebes and I can’t wait to see that happen for you <3
        Jaclyn recently posted..3 states, 2 books, 1 day

You are such a great role model Courtney! It’s great that you can take an unfortunate situation and turn it into something more positive, and I’m sure others are learning from you as well. I’m so happy that you are doing better and learning to embrace the exercise that you can do. I wish you an even speedier recovery, so you can join in on those torturous burpees;)
    Connie recently posted..Gym Preference

I’m so glad you shared this! I’m in the same boat right now. We’ve been trying to have another baby for over 1.5 years and have been working with fertility specialists etc. and I’ve finally accepted the fact that I won’t get pregnant again unless I cut back on the excessive exercising. It is hard, and it’s taken me 1.5 years to finally accept that and let go. These posts about your HA will definitely be a source of motivation and support for me. I’m learning to enjoy yoga and walking in place of running and weights too. :) Thanks for sharing your story!
    Andrea (Run. Learn. Repeat.) recently posted..Things I Learned at My First Tri