Changing Workspaces

by Courtney on September 24, 2012

Typically when I’m working at home on the computer, whether it’s blog stuff, freelance work, or online training plans, I try to work in my office at my desk.

I do this just to prevent myself from getting distracted and trying to maintain some sense of a work atmosphere. Well last night, I had brought my computer out into the living room and ended up keeping it there. So today, rather than working in the office, I’ve been doing everything from the couch…and, surprisingly enough, have been quite productive! Where do you guys end up being most productive when working at home?

I think Cody is also a fan of my new workspace for today. He has been in and out of my lap all day long…if he’s not in my lap, he’s in the window trying to maneuver around all of my fall decorations.

I’m pretty sure he gets angry with me from now until the end of the year, since that window will be filled with all sorts of fun, festive decorations. Winking smile

I don’t really have anything too exciting to share for food this afternoon. My appetite has been a little weird today, so I’ve been doing a lot of snacking. Late this morning, I snacked on a Clif Z Bar while grocery shopping (iced oatmeal cookie, YUM!); then I ended up coming home and having another pumpkin rice crispy treat.

About an hour ago, I put together a couple little snacks.

Some grape tomatoes and cauliflower with hummus, and a small bowl of Chobani pineapple yogurt with granola. Simple and delicious. I’ve also got some tilapia planned for tonight’s dinner and am thinking about trying out a new recipe…hopefully it’s a good one!

Some Odds and Ends:

• I’m featured on the Fitness Magazine FitStop for Music Monday today! Head on over to check out my latest cardio playlist that I’m loving.
  • Need tips on how to stick to your eating & exercise schedule when work takes over? SOYJOY is holding a Twitter party this Friday, 9/28 at 2pm ET – just follow the hashtag #TweetJOY.
  • Want to check out one of my latest vegetarian Thanksgiving recipes? Head on over to Celebrations.com to see my recipe for Pumpkin Risotto.
  • I’m having a special deal with Courtney’s Total Body Wellness! The first three people to sign up for a new training plan between now and Wednesday will get $10.00 off their package price! Hurry up…now is as good a time as any to start up a new workout plan, right? Winking smile

1 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } September 24, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I’m always camped out on the dining room table. I adjunct (6 classes) and freelance/blog part time so I can’t WAIT for us to get a bigger house and I can have a office all to myself!
Erica { EricaDHouse.com } recently posted..Visit to the Fort and some Monday Motivation

2 Chelsea @ Dine & Dash Diaries September 24, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I’m a freelance writer…and I JUST grabbed my computer and sat on the couch before reading this post. I think you’ve just inspired me to stay here when I finish my lunch :)

Love your playlist! Congrats on the feature.
Chelsea @ Dine & Dash Diaries recently posted..Recipe: Pumpkin Protein Pancakes

3 Liz September 24, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Love your workspace! The desk is so cute.
Liz recently posted..Weekend Recap: First Weekend of Fall

4 Rachel September 24, 2012 at 3:18 pm

It’s my goal actually to be a freelance writer :)
Rachel recently posted..MIMM#8: Birding Round 2

5 Lisa September 24, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I can actually be pretty productive from the couch as well…as long as the TV is off;)
Otherwise I have to be parked away somewhere quiet with NO distractions, including windows, because the tiniest things will set me mind to go anywhere else but working. I’ve been snacky all day as well, its weird.

6 Amanda Perry @ Sistas of Strength September 24, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I am trying to start working upstairs more again…I always find myself at the kitchen counter!
Amanda Perry @ Sistas of Strength recently posted..On Being Consistently Better

7 Chelsea @ Cardio and Cocktails September 24, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I find that having one consistent work space works most of the time, but every once in a while I like to mix it up. That keeps me from going crazy and makes me work a little harder because I feel like I’m “getting away with something”. You just gotta know how to trick yourself into being productive!
Chelsea @ Cardio and Cocktails recently posted..Pumpkin Protein Smoothie

8 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 24, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I’m definitely most productive in my room, and lately that’s sitting on my bed vs at my desk. I’m hardly ever productive sitting on the couch in the living room. I think that’s just because I usually get distracted by the TV or my family or really…anything. “SQUIRREL!” ;)

When I need a change of scenery though, I generally head to a coffee shop which helps for a little while. (And then I get some coffee). :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Music Monday // Coexist

9 Annette@FitnessPerks September 24, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I work at my desk for the most part, but sometimes I work from the floor. I LOVE lying on my stomach. So weird, I know! <–I've done it since HS, actually.
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Fitness Moving Forward – Means to an End

10 Natalie @ Free Range Human September 24, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I’d really love to try hummus. Any recommendations on a good store-bought version?
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Back to the Future

11 Megan September 25, 2012 at 9:04 am

I love Hummus. Yorgos Organic is good or Joseph’s Roasted Red Pepper. Lemon hummus is also good.

12 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction September 24, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I need to be sitting at my desk to get actual work done. If I try doingwork from my bed or the couch I end up getting distracted or dozing off!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Summer Training, Fall Race

13 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 24, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I actually find it beneficial to change up my work space every now and then when I’m at home. It’s like the change in scenery keeps my brain stimulated or something and it makes me feel a tad bit more productive. That being said, it could totally backfire… especially if I’m close to the kitchen because then I’m always getting up to grab a handful of this and that ;)
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... life’s too short… .

14 Lisa September 24, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Not to be too intrusive, but given your past issues, you might want to be careful not to dive back into high carb/low fat thing

15 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 24, 2012 at 7:36 pm

I’m definitely most productive from my spot on the corner of the couch – but I don’t have cable, so that probably explains it. :-)
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..The Newest Fitness Plan.

16 kim@hungryhealthygirl September 24, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Even though I have a desk and office area, I typically work at the kitchen table. I do alot of working and eating. ;)
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..A Marvelous Monday Giveaway

17 Kelsey September 24, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I work from home and some days are office days and some days I just want to sit on the couch and work to some stuff while watching a little Dr. Phil. ;) Also Ricki Lake is back on TV so I have been pumped about that. (it’s the little things, ha)
Kelsey recently posted..Comment on Paperback Love by Bethaney

18 Ali September 24, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I am usually quite productive on the couch surprisingly. I keep my place very neat and tidy but for some reason my computer desk always gets so cluttered with mail or other paperwork that I prefer to work in the living room. That being said, I have been working from my kitchen tonight – standing at the island with my laptop. I read somewhere that it’s really bad to be sitting all day and since my day job involves so much sitting, I’ve taken to standing when I’m at home. We’ll see how long it lasts!

P.S. – love the Cody cuteness. Seems like he is just squeaking by without knocking things over.

19 Chelsea Lords @ahintofhealthy September 25, 2012 at 12:08 am

I just checked out your post over at fitness. Your picture is so cute and I loved your song choices. Nice job-that is way awesome!
Chelsea Lords @ahintofhealthy recently posted..Number 1 Weight Loss and Maintenance Tip

20 Khushboo September 25, 2012 at 12:42 am

I work well on my bed, funny enough…I guess my mind is more focused when my body’s relaxed ;)
Khushboo recently posted..The “Y” in HealthY Eating

21 Megan@funsizedfitness September 25, 2012 at 8:50 am

I’m most productive at the kitchen table – we have an office, but it’s so cluttered that I get really distracted and can’t get anything done up there!
Megan@funsizedfitness recently posted..Homemade Pumpkin Frozen Yogurt

22 Megan September 25, 2012 at 9:13 am

Cute pic, love the play list you only had 2 songs that werent on mine :)

23 Meghan @ After the Ivy League September 25, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I do the same thing when I’m trying to get work done, I’ll sit at our dining room table (no office) to get down to business. But last night, I ended up doing homework in my room just sitting on my bed, and got a ton of it done! Surprising, but I’m not complaining!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Gluten Free Pumpkin Pancakes

24 Andrea @ Vegvacious September 25, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Our office is a HUGE mess (which makes it a stressful environment to try to be productive in!), so I tend to set up office in our living room. If it’s just me & the dogs at home then I like the background noise — once I get into whatever I’m working on, I’m usually able to tone everything else out.
Andrea @ Vegvacious recently posted..Menu Prepping for the Week

25 Molly@This Life Is Sparkling September 25, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I most definitely had an iced oatmeal zbar for my morning snack as well ;)
Molly@This Life Is Sparkling recently posted..Marvelous In My Monday

26 Bek @ Crave September 26, 2012 at 1:11 am

I enjoy doing study in my room lately, but I normally do it at the kitchen table for my back and so I can have everything there- sometimes it’s a bit too close to the kitchen though which can be tough ;) haha.
Bek @ Crave recently posted..CXWORX 8

27 Ashlee@ His-n-Hers September 28, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I am always more productive at a desk!
Ashlee@ His-n-Hers recently posted..living in a dog’s ‘hood