Double Duty Quesadilla Casserole

by Courtney on September 27, 2012

The other night (Tuesday, to be exact) Jay and I had a pretty amazing dinner.

Yeah, the cauliflower was good, but that’s definitely not what we’re talkin’ about here. No no. Today, we’re talking about that delicious casserole you see right there.

Probably at least four months ago, I wound up picking up one of these McCormick Recipe Inspirations packages after my mom told me just how good they were. I usually do try my best to take the frugal route when grocery shopping (although Jay may tend to argue that one) but sometimes, convenience just takes precedence.

So after coming across the package once again over the weekend, I decided that I’d finally take a stab at it this week. I made sure to pick up all of my ingredients and quickly got things rollin’.

I noticed that the recipe called for everything to bake in a 9×13 casserole, but for a family of two, finishing off a casserole that large can become quite a challenge. Rather than getting stuck with leftovers all week, I decided to break things up into two smaller dishes – that way, we had one to enjoy this week, and the other is now stored in the freezer for a night when I really don’t feel like cooking.

This recipe is one that could easily be made without the seasoning packet, so if you’re interested in giving it a shot, here ya go!

Enjoy! I know I’ll be thoroughly enjoying my last piece as leftovers this evening. Winking smile

1 Rochelle September 27, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Oh my goodness, that looks (and sounds) amazing! I’m totally going to try this one soon!!! Thanks for sharing your recipe with us!

2 Kerry @ Totes My Oats September 27, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Yum!! That looks awesome. I love casseroles!
Kerry @ Totes My Oats recently posted..Hummus

3 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries September 27, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Whoaaa look at all that cheesy goodness! Pinned it and most likely making it next week. ;)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..09/27: Thursday Thoughts

4 Blog is the New BLack September 27, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Looks awesome and so tasty!

5 Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 27, 2012 at 7:18 pm

This looks awesome!!!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Frittata with Fontina Cheese

6 Jessamy @ The Rambling Asian September 27, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Oh yeah I have had that one before. It is awesome! :)
Jessamy @ The Rambling Asian recently posted..Oh the Joys of Fall…

7 Natalie @ Free Range Human September 27, 2012 at 7:43 pm

That looks great! I find myself having to freeze a lot of things too. Cooking for two is more challenging than most people think!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Where Nature May Heal and Cheer…

8 Megan@funsizedfitness September 27, 2012 at 7:51 pm

That looks like the perfect dinner to make once it gets colder outside – thanks for the recipe!
Megan@funsizedfitness recently posted..Luscious Leftovers :)

9 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 27, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Wow that looks delicious! I’ll have to figure out how to make a vegetarian version! ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Check, Check, Check!

10 Courtney September 27, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Maybe try doubling the beans or adding in soy crumbles?

11 Brittany September 27, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Looks and sounds so yummy! I will have to try it soon!

12 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 27, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Yum! I’d definitely have to make one big casserole because my hungry husband charges through any leftovers!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..WIAW – Week 29

13 michelle kim September 27, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Wowz, that looks crazy delicious! Too bad our oven doesn’t work right now :(
michelle kim recently posted..I Ran to the Ocean

14 Lauren September 27, 2012 at 9:13 pm

This looks incredible! I’ve never made a Mexican casserole but I’ve always wanted to. Unless you count enchiladas but I’m taking a mexican lasagna or something more along the lines of this.
Lauren recently posted..His & Hers Dinners: How To Make 2 Meals Without the Effort

15 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 27, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I’ve bought that a few times – it’s delicious! Best part is that the little card on the back is removable, so you can save the recipe to keep at home. :-)
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Pumpkin Coconut Chocolate Chip Muffins.

16 Amileena September 28, 2012 at 4:40 am

It looks so yummy! I will definitely try making it sometime.
Amileena recently posted..Kim Kardashian Ranks High on the Forbes List

17 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope September 28, 2012 at 7:35 am

I love casseroles because of the leftovers. Definitely need to try this one. It looks great! :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..End Of September Favorites!…

18 Becka @ simplybecka September 28, 2012 at 8:27 am

Sounds super yummy and easy to make. I like that you divided it into two portions. Good idea for a smaller family of only two people. I think I might have to try this one. Thanks for always sharing your delicious recipes with us here on the blog. Have a great day. ^_^
Becka @ simplybecka recently posted..google reader…

19 Sabrina @Work It Ms Jackson September 28, 2012 at 9:59 am

This is perfect. That’s too much for us to eat too so baking them into seperate dishes is great!
Sabrina @Work It Ms Jackson recently posted..Holy Cow!

20 Renee September 28, 2012 at 10:31 am

I love quesadillas or any mexican inspired dish. I will definitely be trying it-looks so good!
Renee recently posted..Roasted Corn & Black Bean Queso Dip

21 Meghan @ After the Ivy League September 28, 2012 at 10:54 am

This sums up everything I’m craving for dinner tonight…YUM.
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..30 Before 30 and ADVICE NEEDED

22 Brandi September 28, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Oh my goodness! I am making this! :)

23 Courtney F September 28, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Oh my! I printed this off to put in my “to make” binder!! yum!
Courtney F recently posted..Let’s see how many places we can go to!

24 JenA October 3, 2012 at 8:01 am

I made this last night and let me tell you, the hubby LOVED it. I made the mistake of doing it all in one pan though so there are lots of leftovers. We added a little dollop of daisy sour cream and went to town. Another winner (the chicken&tomato mac and cheese is a new favorite too) Thank you for this recipe!

25 Courtney October 3, 2012 at 8:07 am

Ohhhh, that’s great news!! Thanks so much for letting me know :)