Frugal, Yes. Dangerous, Definitely.

by Courtney on October 18, 2012

Not gonna lie…I’m a weeee bit excited about dinner tonight.

I just finished doing a bunch of prep work so by the time our guests arrive, all I’ll have to do is throw it in the oven. I swear, that is like, the best way to entertain in my book.

Do you guys recognize what’s up there on the left?? Ooooo boy, am I excited for later. Smile

Of course, I managed to forget one item at the store yesterday so I had to head back out again this afternoon. Thank goodness I did though because, my gosh, it is a beautiful day out there today.

But good lord that’s a lot of leaves.

Blech. I hate raking leaves. <—And I forgot how funny the end of that post was. Winking smile

As far as eats go around here today, I’ve been doing a whole lot of snacking…thanks to my decision to make some homemade trail mix.

Why. Do. I. Do. This. To. Myself.?

While I was at Target yesterday, I was *this close* to buying a bag but then I kept thinking, “well, I have those at home, and those, and…” so I nixed the purchase and decided to make my own. Frugal, yes. Dangerous, definitely.

I used a bag of mixed nuts that came in one of my bags from this month’s Nature Box, some extra almonds and cashews, a mini bag of pistachios (which I found lying around randomly in the pantry), dried cranberries, raisins, and some Love Grown Foods granola. It’s suuuuper good you guys. Super good.

Luckily, I have managed to throw a few other nutrients in there other than mixed nuts and dried fruit.

This afternoon I made a “salad without the lettuce,” (aka, a bowl of veggies) with a mini cucumber, grape tomatoes, baby carrots, avocado, feta cheese, and hummus. Sort of random but it tasted great.

I also snacked on another one of Chelsey’s granola bars while putting together tonight’s dinner. Mannnn, these things are good!

Now I’ve got to finish up cleaning a bit around the house and change out of these cozies before our friends arrive.

Catch ya later, gators!

1 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 18, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Any sort of trail mix is super dangerous around me!! You can’t beat the nuts and sweet + salty combo!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..10/18: Thursday Thoughts

2 Angel October 18, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Loving your bowl of veggies! Enjoy your night tonight! :)
Angel recently posted..Chicken Sausage Pasta Slaw

3 Michelle@Peachy Palate October 18, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Is it sausage?? All I know mac is involved!!! Would you believe I had to order in rice and a corn mac from iHerb as you can only buy the wheat variety in Ireland!!! Enjoy your dinner!!!

4 Megan@funsizedfitness October 18, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Target (well, Archer Farms)has so many good trail mixes….I have to control myself when walking through that aisle (I could eat an entire bag no problem!)
Megan@funsizedfitness recently posted..A Really Huge, Gigantic, Massive Apple!

5 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 18, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Yum avocado! I’m hoping we have avocado in the house because I really want some on my taco salad tonight!!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Chunky Crockpot Applesauce

6 Kerry @ Totes My Oats October 18, 2012 at 5:29 pm

That bowl of veggies looks so refreshing. Dinner looks like it’s going to be good, too!
Kerry @ Totes My Oats recently posted..In the Pumpkin Patch

7 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 18, 2012 at 5:33 pm

That looks just like the trail mix I buy, and I agree -it’s totally dangerous!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Because You Don’t Want To Have To Cut Off Your Arm

8 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl October 18, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Your dinner prep looks delicious…can’t wait to see what it is!

And don’t you just hate when you start to cook something and realize you are missing ONE ingredient?? It is a good thing you starting prepping early so you didn’t have to freak out and feel rushed like I probably would have! ;)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..WIAW: October 17, 2012

9 Courtney October 18, 2012 at 6:18 pm

It happens to me so often, it’s sad, haha. ;)

10 Brandi October 18, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Whatever it is, it looks like it’s going to be good! I am such weirdo, I love to rake leaves!! :)
Brandi recently posted..Sleepy already…

11 Courtney October 18, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Well then you are more than welcome to come over and rake ANYTIME ;)

12 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 18, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I have no idea what dinner is going to be, but it looks good :D And holy wow… when it comes to trail mix, or any sort of dried fruit/nut/chocolate combo in general, my willpower definitely gets a good workout in. I’m okay as long as I don’t try it, but once I get that sweet/salty taste in my mouth? Yeaaaaah.
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... WIAW … snacking all day .

13 Kelsey@ kelseyruns October 18, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I have no idea what you’re making but it looks delicious! Homemade trail mix is so dangerous for me, and granola for that matter! I swear I intend to make it last a whole week but somehow within 48 hours its gone. Oops!
Kelsey@ kelseyruns recently posted..I’m Baaaaaack!

14 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 18, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Probably explains why I haven’t made any trail mix in a long time! :-p
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Canadian Classic.

15 Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 18, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Welp, I did have “trail mix” listed on my grocery list for my next trip, but now I feel like I should make my own! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Pasta Bake Recipe

16 Sarah October 18, 2012 at 8:17 pm

That granola bar looks really good! Thanks for posting the link to Chelsea’s page so I can check it out :) I love making salad without the lettuce- sometimes a lot of lettuce distracts me from the matter at hand- delicious veggies!
Sarah recently posted..My legs feel like they were shot

17 michelle kim October 18, 2012 at 8:35 pm

WOO HOO! Have fun with the guests tonight (btw, that pasta dish looks DIVINE). :D
michelle kim recently posted..Comparing to Last Year

18 Amber at Love, Laugh, Live Well October 18, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Mmm, everything looks good! I love making my own trail mix that way I can put all the things I love the most in there and skip the nasties (like raisins).
Amber at Love, Laugh, Live Well recently posted..Calling all tomato (red) faces!

19 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction October 18, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I <3 Trail Mix of any sort!!! But yes it's sooooooo dangerous! I will literally sit there at my computer and eat it while I blog, and then poof! The whole serving is gone! I try to buy the 100 calorie packs of nits, or individually bag small portions of trail mix out, otherwise it's bad news bears!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Amica Half-Marathon Recap #2

20 Giselle@ahealthyhappyhome October 18, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I love salads without the lettuce too! Sometimes I’ll mix my veggies with greek yogurt, lemon juice and fresh dill. Trail mix is so dangerous but so good!
Giselle@ahealthyhappyhome recently posted..Three cool things

21 Suzanne @ Fit MInded Mom October 18, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Trail mix and granola are definitely dangerous for me, too!! It is so easy to grab handful after handful and not even realize the damage you are doing.
Suzanne @ Fit MInded Mom recently posted..Best Body Bootcamp, Here I Come!!

22 Khushboo Thadani October 19, 2012 at 12:47 am

Homemade trail mix is the best, especially when it contains roasted almonds and coconut flakes!
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..Wednesday Wafflin’

23 Hollywood Healthy October 19, 2012 at 3:56 am

You have gorgeous grass… and veggies ;)
Hollywood Healthy recently posted..Customizable Chocolate Energy Bars; G/F

24 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope October 19, 2012 at 8:01 am

Can’t wait to see what you made for dinner. It looks quite yummy! :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A New Obessession!…

25 Becka @ simplybecka October 19, 2012 at 12:51 pm

My husband loves to devise his own trail mix all the time. Have a great weekend. ^)^
Becka @ simplybecka recently posted..focus on the positive…

26 Bek @ Crave October 19, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Trail mix is dangerous for me too! I can eat that stuff way too easily hahah, so good :)
Bek @ Crave recently posted..First week recapped