A Fun and Exciting Workout Challenge

by Courtney on November 28, 2012

It’s days like today when I’m glad I have more to talk about then just food. Want to know why?

Well, because today’s breakfast was the same as yesterday…

Ok, I guess they’re kinda different, but still.

I had a couple errands to run this morning and snacked on a cranberry SOYJOY bar while I was out, so I guess that was different too.

But today’s lunch was also the same as yesterday.

I’m in a groove right now. Winking smile

Unfortunately for me though, that was the last piece of awesome chicken in the house, so it looks like I’ll have to wait again until next week. That’s alright…it’ll be worth it.

*****

A Fun and Exciting Workout Challenge

Over the past couple of weeks, I’ve been working together with the awesome team over at ChallengeLoop in order to put together a fun new workout challenge for you guys!

The 2012 Closeout Workout Challenge

2012 closeout workout challenge

Some of you may already be familiar with ChallengeLoop, such as those of you who are participating in Gina’s Namaste November Challenge, so when they reached out and asked if I’d be interested in putting something together, I was totally on board.

So, first things first…the details of the challenge:

• Challenge Name: 2012 Closeout Workout Challenge
  • Details: You can read all of them in full HERE, but basically, you will choose 2-5 exercises and will add up the repetitions to complete 2,012 reps (i.e., "I will complete 2,012 reps of push-ups, burpees, jump squats, etc…")
  • Challenge Start/End Dates: Begins December 1st, ends December 31st.
  • Prizes (of course!): THREE winners in all- (2) participants will win a pair of Reebok Real Flex Fusion TR sneakers (donated by Reebok) and (1) participant will win a $25 "mystery gift card" + other possible goodies courtesy of Yours Truly.

closeout workout challenge

Questions:

• How do I sign up? CLICK HERE to get on board!
  • How do I check in? Leave a comment or add a photo by downloading the iPhone app, or visit the challenge page and leave a comment.
  • What types of exercises should/can I do? Well, there’s LOTS to choose from! A few ideas:
      • burpees (your favorite, right?)
      • jumping jacks
      • crunches
      • lunges
      • high knees
      • butt jumps
      • pushups
      • mountain climbers
      • If you still need more ideas, check out this awesome post

With 2012 quickly coming to a close, and the holiday season already upon us, I feel like we get pretty bombarded with “ways to stay slim” or “how to avoid the holiday bulge.” So when I was coming up with this challenge, I knew I wanted it to be something completely different from that. Instead, I wanted a challenge that would allow us to focus on a positive, rather than a negative, and (hopefully) have fun while we’re doing it!

Since 2,012 is a hefty amount of reps (it averages out to about 64 reps per day!) I figured it’d be a little easier to allow you all to choose the reps for more than one exercise. Plus, with choosing your own exercises, you can make it as difficult or easy as you’d like. When you think about it that way…if you choose 5 exercises, that’s really only about 13 reps of each exercise, each day. Totally attainable!

So I’m really, really excited about this challenge and I’m hoping that you’ll all join in with me on it (plus, there’s prizes!!). It doesn’t officially start until Saturday, but I wanted to give you all an early heads up, in case, you know, you’re a big planner like me and like to know things ahead of time.

So what do ya think…who’s ready to join me and close out 2012 with a BANG?? Winking smile

1 Anne Marie @ Rocky Road Running November 28, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I love this idea Courtney! 2012 Burpees or bust :-)

2 Jentry Nielsen November 28, 2012 at 1:28 pm

How fun! I love this idea! I am so on-board with this!!! Can’t wait to get started! :)
Jentry Nielsen recently posted..Cyber Monday NordicTrack Sale

3 Alicia @NeverEverBeenSkinny November 28, 2012 at 1:28 pm

First I LOVE ChallengeLoop. Doesn’t it make everything easier when having a challenge? Second, this is a great challenge! I am really looking forward to this one! I needed something physical. Start the new year right! So Thanks Courtney!
Alicia @NeverEverBeenSkinny recently posted..Squats, Christmas Cards & Ginger Snowflakes…Oh My!

4 Rebecca W. November 28, 2012 at 1:31 pm

This is EXACTLY what I need to get my butt back in gear — it will be a great addition to my revamped workout routine! Thanks for putting this together!

5 Sabrina @Work It Ms Jackson November 28, 2012 at 1:34 pm

That sounds SUPER fun! What a great way to stay active during the holidays! I’m in!

6 Alyssa November 28, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I’m totally game for this! It will give me something to really work on and having you and everyone else for support is awesome!

7 Fizz November 28, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I’m so in!! This sounds so great!
I love that I’ll be able to make it work while I’m away from home for Christmas.
Yay for you!
Fizz recently posted..Half Moon Bay, Adventure Day!

8 Lauren November 28, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I’ve never heard of challengeloop but what a great idea! I’ll be away from home for a couple weeks around Christmas and New Years and need something to keep me active! So excited to get started! Thanks :)

9 Rachel Lowther November 28, 2012 at 1:52 pm

This sounds great! I’m definitely in :-) Also, your lunch looks amazing!

10 Annette@FitnessPerks November 28, 2012 at 1:54 pm

That is a really great challenge idea! It’s nice to have a place to be accountable, for sure.
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Recaps ‘n’ Pictures + Winners

11 Amanda November 28, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I love this! This kind of challenge is exactly what I need right now. I’m very excited to start on Dec. 1! Already thinking of what exercises to do…
Amanda recently posted..Working the Line

12 Natalie @ Free Range Human November 28, 2012 at 2:13 pm

This is perfect! Monthly challenges really help me stay focused. I’m just finishing up one for November, and this is exactly what I need to compensate!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Back Country Paradise

13 Olivia @ Liv Lives Life November 28, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I’m totally interested! I’ll calculate my exercises and reps, then sign up. Thanks for another great challenge!
Olivia @ Liv Lives Life recently posted..WIAW #21 (I Can’t Think of a Good Title)

14 Emily November 28, 2012 at 2:16 pm

What a great idea! I just accepted the challenge! Thanks for organizing it!
Emily recently posted..Looks familiar

15 Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire November 28, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I love this idea! I’m jumping on board!

16 Amy Risner November 28, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Definitely, definitely, definitely doing this!!!! I’m going to do the 5 exercises (13 reps each) which will include:
Squats
Lunges
Bicycle (abs)
Push-ups
Oblique V-ups
Bring it on 2,012 Challenge!!!!! Awesome idea Courtney!

17 Michelle@Peachy Palate November 28, 2012 at 2:51 pm

It’s a great idea (and I do actually love burpees!!! ) I hate the slim down messages this time of year, so much unnecessary pressure on people!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Comfort food edition

18 Lauren November 28, 2012 at 2:54 pm

First of all, your breakfast & lunch both look delicious! I make a salad for lunch that’s really similar to that one all the time. I absolutely love avocado, chicken & tomato together! Anyways, love this workout idea. I’ve always been a big believer in NOT waiting until new years to commit to a resolution, especially when it’s health-related. Why wait? I’ll definitely be committing to 2,012 exercise reps before the end of 2012. Like you said, totally attainable :)

19 Lisa November 28, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Love this idea. I’m so tired of hearing about detoxes and tips to avoid holiday weight gain. I’ve always believed that we don’t need to wait until the New Year or Monday to make changes, it’s better to start in the moment. And to not freak out if you “mess up”. Such a fun challenge!
Lisa recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

20 Lizzie November 28, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I am seriously SO EXCITED for this! I’ve been looking for a reason to get more burpees in my life =)
Lizzie recently posted..pv.body – Put it on your Christmas List!

21 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 28, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I’m so excited for this challenge! I’m planning to do 2012 burpees! I’ve thought about a few other things like squats, crunches, etc but burpees are a killer for me so rather than OVER committing, I’m just going to FULLY commit to burpees!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..WIAW // FaceTime

22 Heather November 28, 2012 at 4:11 pm

This is an awesome idea! I’m in!
Heather recently posted..First MBA Class=Done!

23 Lydia November 28, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Cool Idea for ending 2012!! Love this!!
Lydia recently posted..HHC WOD

24 Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction November 28, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Great Challenge! That definitely seems attainable when you do 5 different exercises with 13 reps a piece.

I did your “create your own circuit workout” today and I feel great, but my legs and arms are jello.
Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction recently posted..Weekly Weigh In

25 Rochelle November 28, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I’m so in!!!

26 michelle kim November 28, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Wow! What a great workout challenge! It’s definitely a good way to end the year on a high note :)… as long as I don’t forget and end up having to do like 1000 pushup on December 31st.
michelle kim recently posted..Late-Night Run

27 michelle kim November 28, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Wow! What a great workout challenge! It’s definitely a good way to end the year on a high note :)… as long as I don’t forget and end up having to do like 1000 pushups on December 31st.
michelle kim recently posted..Late-Night Run

28 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom November 28, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Courtney, I LOVE it!! I am totally taking the challenge with you!! I was planning on doing these types of exercises first thing in the morning for the next few weeks anyway(you know, for a little extra calorie burn) and this falls perfectly into that plan. I am super excited!!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Beautiful Blogger Award

29 Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns November 28, 2012 at 6:06 pm

this looks like a lot of fun!! i’ll have to try and remember to add a few of these in!
Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns recently posted..Cartoon Kitty

30 Molly @ Just Your Average Athlete November 28, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I’m in! Awesome idea :)
Molly @ Just Your Average Athlete recently posted..Charity Miles

31 Renee @ Fit For Motherhood November 28, 2012 at 7:14 pm

This sounds great Courtney. I am so excited to get started. I plan on adding this onto my regular routine. This will be a great extra burn during the holidays. Thank you. :)
Renee @ Fit For Motherhood recently posted..Wednesday’s Workout – Bootcamp Style #2

32 Abby November 28, 2012 at 7:17 pm

LOVE. What will your moves be?
I choose burpees (come on, this has to be a real challenge), pushups, and leg extension crunches!
Abby recently posted..A Fresh Start

33 Danica @ It's Progression November 28, 2012 at 7:19 pm

fun idea! I just signed up!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..wiaw #46: Christmas tree is up + a microwave muffin

34 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 28, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Woohoo! Definitely signing up for this! I have to remember to keep count during the tracks on my BodyPump days! :-)
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..WIAW – My Last Day Off

35 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl November 28, 2012 at 9:36 pm

What a great idea! :)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Spinach, Mushroom, and “Sausage” Bake

36 Stephanie November 28, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Sounds like fun! Apparently I’m good at challenges! So it looks like we only need to complete 2,012 total of all the exercises we choose, not 2,012 of each exercise, correct?
Stephanie recently posted..Chocolate dipped Oreos are divine!

37 kelsey November 28, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Your breakfast looks like sunny daisies and it made me smile today. So Thanks!

38 Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian November 29, 2012 at 6:26 am

I recently did a deck of cards workout with these types of exercises. Ended up doing 96 burpees, 96 pushups, 96 jump squats, and 96 V-ups in 20 minutes–a good start to 2,012; I posted it on my blog for those who are interested. This sounds like a great way to stay active!
Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian recently posted..Speedwork Wednesday

39 Danielle November 29, 2012 at 11:21 am

Very creative! Love that the participants can choose which workouts they want to do
Danielle recently posted..Charity Miles

40 Emily T. November 29, 2012 at 11:37 am

I’m in for the challenge! I think I’m going to pick burpees and pushups, because both of those are pretty rough for me right now.
Emily T. recently posted..Thankful Thursday: Recharging

41 Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit November 29, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Love the idea of a positive & fun end-of-the-year challenge! :D
Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit recently posted..Feel the Burn! Plateau-Busting Eccentric Lower Body Workout

42 Chelsea November 29, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Awesome challenge! I joined :) I was also totally not feeling the gym today, so this inspired me to make a workout out of body weight exercises and just do them at home! Burpees, squats, pushups, lunges, and crunches here I come!!!
Chelsea recently posted..Full Body Circuit Workout

43 Bek @ Crave November 29, 2012 at 8:08 pm

How exciting! I’ll check it out. I love your messages lately about focussing on positive and not wasting the good holiday time worrying about food and weight :)
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Slim Secrets

44 Hannah R. November 30, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I’m in:)

45 Fitness Wayne | Paleo Diet, Exercise and Weight Loss December 2, 2012 at 11:06 pm

This is a cool idea, I am in. I was lazy today and didn’t work out. This has motivated me to get off my lazy butt and do a few reps, thanks!
Fitness Wayne | Paleo Diet, Exercise and Weight Loss recently posted..Sunday Recipes