Highlights From Thursday

Hey strangers…long time, no chat, eh?

By the time I got home last night, made dinner, and finally sat down to chill for the evening, I just didn’t have in me to write. I was wiped and really just needed to veg out with my boys and watch some mindless television…it was perfect.

I really don’t know why I was so wiped yesterday though; I mean, I didn’t get that much less sleep the night before? But I guess maybe the busy day from before was just catching up with me. Who knows. But since I had allowed myself to sleep in yesterday until, umm, the very last possible second, that meant that I left myself zero time to make a lunch. So on my lunch hour yesterday, I took care of that issue no problem, giving me the first highlight of my day.

panera you pick two

Oh, Panera. How I love you.

I went with the always-favorite “You Pick Two,” including half of my new salad obsession, the Chopped Chicken Cobb with Avocado.

chopped chicken cobb with avocado

My number two of the “You Pick Two” was actually new to me: the Black Bean soup…which, seriously, looks like sludge doesn’t it? Yikes.

black bean soup

Thankfully, the soup tasted phenomenal, quickly proving that its looks just do not do it justice.

*****

The second exciting highlight of my day yesterday was, because it was Thursday, that meant that I got a new delivery from Field Goods!

field goods delivery

I actually still have a couple of items left from last week’s haul, so I wasn’t sure if I should continue with this week’s order; but when I saw the “what’s in the bag this week” email on Monday, it looked too good to pass up.

Included this week were some frozen green beans and corn (they were wrapped in insulation and bubble wrap and had only slightly thawed),

frozen veggies

Golden delicious apples (my faaaaaavorite!),

golden delicious apples

Fresh garlic (YUM),

garlic bulbs

White potatoes, purple top turnips, and only one new-to-me veggie…

potatoes and turnips

…and that veggie would be celeriac. Have you guys ever heard of this one before? I had to laugh, because even in the email that we received, it was described as “the ugliest vegetable you will ever love.” Umm, yes. I think they were spot on with the ugly part. 😉

celeriac

Apparently, celeriac tastes like a blend of celery and parsley and can be fried, baked, or boiled. I’m going to have to do some research on this one, but it seems pretty darn interesting.

*****

So last night’s dinner? Definitely a highlight from my day, and ohhhhh man was it good. Well, for one, I roasted brussels sprouts for the first time EVER.

A co-worker of mine recently found out she can’t eat them, so she offered to give them to me after I had told them I’d never made them myself. I roasted them in a blend of balsamic vinegar, EVOO, salt, and pepper, and they weren’t bad. I can’t say they’re my favorite, but I liked them and I’d be willing to try cooking them again a different way (perhaps the way another co-worker of mine said he does them, with candied nuts and bacon…ummm, yes please?).

To go along with my brussels sprouts, I actually wound up using one of my Pinterest recipes! I had originally planned on following it exactly, but I wound up veering totally off course and went with a little version of my own.

dinner

dinner

I didn’t have time to write everything up this morning before work, but I’ll have a recipe for you guys later this afternoon.

I promise…I reeeeally think you’re gonna like it. :)

Question for the Morning:

What’s an “ugly” food (i.e., sludgy looking soup or weird veggies) that you really enjoy?

Comments

Black bean soup is one of my favourites – even though yes, it does look hideous! Green smoothies are eaten pretty regularly too, even though the boyfriend usually makes a comment along the lines of “Shrek vomit.” Brings a lovely picture to mind, doesn’t it?
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Five Thing Friday.

I am WAY excited for this recipe because brussels sprouts are my favorite!!! Yay for using a pinterest recipe! I know you’re busy but maybe you could invite people to do a pinterest challenge? I’m sure there are some really amazing recipes we’ve pinned but haven’t quite gotten around to making!
    My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..We did the unthinkable.

For me, it would probably be green monsters. I put algae supplements in mine, on top of the fruits, spinach and kale, so it REALLY looks swampy when I get done with it. But they make me feel so good!

Also, roasted brussels sprouts. Definitely gonna have to try them with the balsamic vinegar next time I make them. :-)

That vegetable delivery looks great! Can’t wait to find out what the heck celeriac is all about (how do you even pronounce that?). Your dinner looks pretty fantastic too, I’ve still never cooked brussel sprouts either. I have a memory of hating them as a child so I haven’t gone through with it yet, but I should try them!
    Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Cute Shoes, Core Workouts, and Cake

I agree – Panera’s black bean soup does not look appetizing, but it is my favorite on the menu! I can’t help but dip the bread in it. So good. I also never thought about using balsamic on brussels sprouts, but I am really going to try that. I make Brussels a few times per week – they’re my favorite!
    Lindsay recently posted..high five friday #6: blog madness.

6. Josefine says

Your delivery looks really good! In Denmark “celeriac” is just celery and I love it in soups but also grated with grated apples and fresh lemon juice and maybe some raisins :-)

Girl, you are tired because you are preganant! Take it easy, relax!!

You have me craving Panera! I want to try there egg white and turkey power bowl. I just don’t have it in me to go in the morning! You tempted me last week with the salad and I’m thinking maybe lunch today!! However I need to be really good, I think I ate to many almonds for breakfast! :)
    Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Man Vs Woman Chicken Plus Giveaway!

I need to get myself to Panera and try that salad. I’ve been craving avocado in a bad way. And I have the remained of a gift card to use up. :) I’ve only had that black bean soup once and it was alright. My friends commented on how it looked like poo or something along that line. Awesome. My favorite is still the garden veggie!
    Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..[Current] Diet Staples

I was never a fan of brussels sprouts until I tried them roasted. Holy.yum. And as for celeriac, it tastes great in soups or even mashed up with potatoes. Sometimes my mom slices them into little rounds, coats them in egg, breadcrumbs, and spices, and then bakes them like you would chicken strips. They come out surprisingly delicious and crunchy!

LOVE Brussel Sprouts. Seriously one of my favorite veggies. My favorite prep is either olive oil, a dash of lemon juice, a bit of salt and dill OR white wine, Dijon mustard and bacon.

Let me know if you need other ideas. I often make extra to put on salads or to eat cold at lunch.
    BakingSuit recently posted..Friday Yummy – Acorn Squash

I love brussel sprouts, roasted or cooked in a frying pan with some garlic and lemon juice. yum! I love oatmeal but defiantly think its one of the less visually appealing foods out there. Green smoothies are also one of those crazy things that look nasty but can taste great.

Panera always comes to the rescue when you need a quick, but healthy lunch! I cannot get enough of it.

I have never even heard of celeriac. I will be interested to see what you make with it :).

I am so glad that your first experience with roasting brussel sprouts went so well! They are one of my absolute favorite vegetables to roast. In fact, I am eating some for lunch as I type this.
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Veggie Stuffed Mushrooms

13. Irene says

I actually really like roasting brussel sprouts with just olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic (sometimes I use garlic powder). I’m not sure the balsamic would be great with the brussel sprouts, so maybe try a simpler recipe first?

If I was going to get the You Pick Two from Panera, those are exactly the same things I would’ve picked! I loooove their new Chopped Cobb, it’s delicious :) I always get mine without the bacon, though (I’m one of those rare bacon-haters… you can judge me, I’m used to it! 😉 ).
    Miranda @ Biting Life recently posted..Shopping List Friday #12

15. Tyler Soj says

Yum! I loved roasted brussel sprouts. Usually I coat them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder; however, last night I wrapped them in bacon for my husband’s birthday! They were delicious! I served them with a mustard-sour cream dip. Give it a try! Bacon makes everything better! :)

I love brussel sprouts, we usually have them steamed. I reckon candied bacon could make anything taste better haha!

Hmm an ugly food I like..sweet potatoes can be pretty ugly and dirty but they taste awesome!
    Bek @ Crave recently posted..Love The Links 19/1