Highlights From Thursday

by Courtney on January 18, 2013

Hey strangers…long time, no chat, eh?

By the time I got home last night, made dinner, and finally sat down to chill for the evening, I just didn’t have in me to write. I was wiped and really just needed to veg out with my boys and watch some mindless television…it was perfect.

I really don’t know why I was so wiped yesterday though; I mean, I didn’t get that much less sleep the night before? But I guess maybe the busy day from before was just catching up with me. Who knows. But since I had allowed myself to sleep in yesterday until, umm, the very last possible second, that meant that I left myself zero time to make a lunch. So on my lunch hour yesterday, I took care of that issue no problem, giving me the first highlight of my day.

panera you pick two

Oh, Panera. How I love you.

I went with the always-favorite “You Pick Two,” including half of my new salad obsession, the Chopped Chicken Cobb with Avocado.

chopped chicken cobb with avocado

My number two of the “You Pick Two” was actually new to me: the Black Bean soup…which, seriously, looks like sludge doesn’t it? Yikes.

black bean soup

Thankfully, the soup tasted phenomenal, quickly proving that its looks just do not do it justice.

*****

The second exciting highlight of my day yesterday was, because it was Thursday, that meant that I got a new delivery from Field Goods!

field goods delivery

I actually still have a couple of items left from last week’s haul, so I wasn’t sure if I should continue with this week’s order; but when I saw the “what’s in the bag this week” email on Monday, it looked too good to pass up.

Included this week were some frozen green beans and corn (they were wrapped in insulation and bubble wrap and had only slightly thawed),

frozen veggies

Golden delicious apples (my faaaaaavorite!),

golden delicious apples

Fresh garlic (YUM),

garlic bulbs

White potatoes, purple top turnips, and only one new-to-me veggie…

potatoes and turnips

…and that veggie would be celeriac. Have you guys ever heard of this one before? I had to laugh, because even in the email that we received, it was described as “the ugliest vegetable you will ever love.” Umm, yes. I think they were spot on with the ugly part. ;)

celeriac

Apparently, celeriac tastes like a blend of celery and parsley and can be fried, baked, or boiled. I’m going to have to do some research on this one, but it seems pretty darn interesting.

*****

So last night’s dinner? Definitely a highlight from my day, and ohhhhh man was it good. Well, for one, I roasted brussels sprouts for the first time EVER.

A co-worker of mine recently found out she can’t eat them, so she offered to give them to me after I had told them I’d never made them myself. I roasted them in a blend of balsamic vinegar, EVOO, salt, and pepper, and they weren’t bad. I can’t say they’re my favorite, but I liked them and I’d be willing to try cooking them again a different way (perhaps the way another co-worker of mine said he does them, with candied nuts and bacon…ummm, yes please?).

To go along with my brussels sprouts, I actually wound up using one of my Pinterest recipes! I had originally planned on following it exactly, but I wound up veering totally off course and went with a little version of my own.

dinner

dinner

I didn’t have time to write everything up this morning before work, but I’ll have a recipe for you guys later this afternoon.

I promise…I reeeeally think you’re gonna like it. :)

Question for the Morning:

What’s an “ugly” food (i.e., sludgy looking soup or weird veggies) that you really enjoy?

1 Melanie January 18, 2013 at 8:56 am

Brown lentils…they are highly unattractive but OH SO GOOD! I’m very jealous of the fresh golden delicious apples—definitely my fav too. Have a great Friday!
Melanie recently posted..Peanut Chicken Salad

2 Melanie January 18, 2013 at 8:58 am

And remember, it’s so normal to be tired. Your body is working hard to create baby tooth. :smile: Take care and rest up this weekend!
Melanie recently posted..Peanut Chicken Salad

3 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 18, 2013 at 8:57 am

I LOVE brussels sprouts roasted. For Thanksgiving I did a mix of brussels, butternut squash, onion, apple and cranberries in a mix of EVOO, balsamic, salt, pepper and cumin. It was SO good!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday / Oh where, Oh where?

4 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries January 18, 2013 at 8:58 am

Brussels sprouts roasted are my absolute favorite! I love the little extra crunch and flavor. Happy Friday Court!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Beating the Winter Blahs

5 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 18, 2013 at 9:00 am

Black bean soup is one of my favourites – even though yes, it does look hideous! Green smoothies are eaten pretty regularly too, even though the boyfriend usually makes a comment along the lines of “Shrek vomit.” Brings a lovely picture to mind, doesn’t it?
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Five Thing Friday.

6 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat January 18, 2013 at 9:00 am

I love that Panera soup – I actually made a copycat version last week and it was pretty dark close – and easy!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..The site lives!

7 My Neon Running Shoes January 18, 2013 at 9:04 am

I am WAY excited for this recipe because brussels sprouts are my favorite!!! Yay for using a pinterest recipe! I know you’re busy but maybe you could invite people to do a pinterest challenge? I’m sure there are some really amazing recipes we’ve pinned but haven’t quite gotten around to making!
My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..We did the unthinkable.

8 Lindsey January 18, 2013 at 9:04 am

Green Monster smoothies! The spinach/blueberry combo I make looks like sludge but they are very tasty~

9 Beks January 18, 2013 at 9:08 am

For me, it would probably be green monsters. I put algae supplements in mine, on top of the fruits, spinach and kale, so it REALLY looks swampy when I get done with it. But they make me feel so good!

Also, roasted brussels sprouts. Definitely gonna have to try them with the balsamic vinegar next time I make them. :-)

10 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 18, 2013 at 9:18 am

I actually thought the soup looked pretty good, but I new it was Black Bean which I love!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Puppy Love

11 Meghan @ After the Ivy League January 18, 2013 at 9:19 am

That vegetable delivery looks great! Can’t wait to find out what the heck celeriac is all about (how do you even pronounce that?). Your dinner looks pretty fantastic too, I’ve still never cooked brussel sprouts either. I have a memory of hating them as a child so I haven’t gone through with it yet, but I should try them!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Cute Shoes, Core Workouts, and Cake

12 Lindsay January 18, 2013 at 9:19 am

I agree – Panera’s black bean soup does not look appetizing, but it is my favorite on the menu! I can’t help but dip the bread in it. So good. I also never thought about using balsamic on brussels sprouts, but I am really going to try that. I make Brussels a few times per week – they’re my favorite!
Lindsay recently posted..high five friday #6: blog madness.

13 Lauri January 18, 2013 at 9:27 am

That Panera soup is my favorite – looks horrible, tastes amazing!!!!
Lauri recently posted..Livin Life

14 Michelle@Peachy Palate January 18, 2013 at 9:32 am

Dinner looks amazing! Love roasted Brussels! Celeriac makes an amazing soup, or roasted with curry powder as wedges!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Saturday morning Scones

15 Khushboo January 18, 2013 at 9:34 am

Oatmeal isn’t the prettiest but lord knows its delicious!

16 colleen @ thegiftofmondays January 18, 2013 at 9:38 am

i LOVE brussel sprouts!!! our whole family does even my 14 and 8 yr old sons. we steam them and just season with butter and sea salt. they are a fave around here! but i know it’s an acquired taste. like me with lima beans. no thanks. i’m good. thanks for asking!
colleen @ thegiftofmondays recently posted..i was bullied in high school

17 LaurenM January 18, 2013 at 9:42 am

Celeriac (aka celery root) is great mashed with potatoes. It’s a great, subtle way to taste it for the first time!

18 Jillian @ Sprinkle Massacre January 18, 2013 at 9:42 am

As soon as I saw corn, green beans, potatoes, and turnips, I thought… Shepherds Pie!!!
Jillian @ Sprinkle Massacre recently posted..Deconstructed Pigs in the Blanket

19 Josefine January 18, 2013 at 9:45 am

Your delivery looks really good! In Denmark “celeriac” is just celery and I love it in soups but also grated with grated apples and fresh lemon juice and maybe some raisins :-)

20 Karen January 18, 2013 at 9:50 am

I heart Panera Bread, so craving it now. I would say some of the Chilis that I make can look really ugly but they are SOO yummy!!
Karen recently posted..What I Am Loving Friday

21 Katie @ KatieEnPursuit January 18, 2013 at 9:55 am

Panera does have awesome black bean soup! Yum! I like to combine as many things as possible into a bowl so often have some gross looking concoctions! They always taste delish though :) Happy Friday!
Katie @ KatieEnPursuit recently posted..5 For Friday…Take 2

22 Rachel @ RMinNYC January 18, 2013 at 9:57 am

I get the Winter Suns Farms frozen goodies! They do a winter CSA in the city! Best frozen green beans I’ve ever had!

23 Steph @ StephSnacks January 18, 2013 at 9:59 am

There is only ONE Panera in all of New York City! One of these days I’m just going to have to make it a point to go there for lunch!
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..Cray WIAW

24 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 18, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Seriously?? Only 1? That is baffling!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Veggie Stuffed Mushrooms

25 alyssa @ life a la wife January 18, 2013 at 9:59 am

I’m not a huge fan of brussel sprouts either but roasting them definitely helps!! Candied nuts and bacon can make anyyyything taste good – but possibly take the health factor away :)
alyssa @ life a la wife recently posted..What to wear to a bridal shower

26 Linz @ Itz Linz January 18, 2013 at 10:08 am

celeriac?? never heard of that! interested to see how you’ll use it!! whenever i have pancake fails (which is quite often) they are pretty ugly!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..I’m thinkin’…

27 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie January 18, 2013 at 10:14 am

LOVE roasted brussel sprouts, probably my favorite vegetable! And I always think chili looks gross, but it’s my fave!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Eight Minute Miles and Crunches

28 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 18, 2013 at 10:18 am

Girl, you are tired because you are preganant! Take it easy, relax!!

You have me craving Panera! I want to try there egg white and turkey power bowl. I just don’t have it in me to go in the morning! You tempted me last week with the salad and I’m thinking maybe lunch today!! However I need to be really good, I think I ate to many almonds for breakfast! :)
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Man Vs Woman Chicken Plus Giveaway!

29 Kerry @ Totes My Oats January 18, 2013 at 10:21 am

I am obsessed with Panera’s Black Bean soup! It’s not pretty but it sure does taste good :)
Kerry @ Totes My Oats recently posted..A Terrible Disease

30 Angela @ Health's Angel January 18, 2013 at 10:22 am

I need to get myself to Panera and try that salad. I’ve been craving avocado in a bad way. And I have the remained of a gift card to use up. :) I’ve only had that black bean soup once and it was alright. My friends commented on how it looked like poo or something along that line. Awesome. My favorite is still the garden veggie!
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..[Current] Diet Staples

31 Sarah @pickyrunner January 18, 2013 at 10:25 am

I always get Panera mac and cheese. It’s my absolute favorite thing to have there. Yum. I need to get myself there, now that I think about it. That dinner looks amazing and I can’t wait to see the recipes :)
Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted..How Much is too Much?

32 michelle kim January 18, 2013 at 10:26 am

Oh, my! Those brussel sprouts look SO YUMMY!
And I made OIAJ and offered some to my boyfriend, but he said it looks like someone yacked in the jar :P
michelle kim recently posted..Weekend Tahoe Plans

33 NYC Fit GIrl January 18, 2013 at 10:26 am

Cream of Brocolli Soup!!

34 Gabrielle January 18, 2013 at 10:26 am

Celeriac is SOOOO good! My mom makes a side dish with it, it’s called Celeriac Remoulade and here is a link to one recipe http://www.soscuisine.com/en/recipes/view/celeriac-remoulade?sos_l=en

its not the exact one my mom follows but by looking at the ingredients it sounds similar! You can always use light mayo or maybe even greek yogurt would work! Seriously I love this dish!

35 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 18, 2013 at 10:45 am

I was never a fan of brussels sprouts until I tried them roasted. Holy.yum. And as for celeriac, it tastes great in soups or even mashed up with potatoes. Sometimes my mom slices them into little rounds, coats them in egg, breadcrumbs, and spices, and then bakes them like you would chicken strips. They come out surprisingly delicious and crunchy!

36 BakingSuit January 18, 2013 at 10:51 am

LOVE Brussel Sprouts. Seriously one of my favorite veggies. My favorite prep is either olive oil, a dash of lemon juice, a bit of salt and dill OR white wine, Dijon mustard and bacon.

Let me know if you need other ideas. I often make extra to put on salads or to eat cold at lunch.
BakingSuit recently posted..Friday Yummy – Acorn Squash

37 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes January 18, 2013 at 11:25 am

I *love* Panera’s black bean soup! Whenever it’s offered, I always get it as part of the “You Pick Two” deal. :)
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Pleasant Surprises

38 Nicole @ Fruit 'N' Fitness January 18, 2013 at 11:27 am

I love brussel sprouts, roasted or cooked in a frying pan with some garlic and lemon juice. yum! I love oatmeal but defiantly think its one of the less visually appealing foods out there. Green smoothies are also one of those crazy things that look nasty but can taste great.

39 Jenna January 18, 2013 at 11:39 am

I LOVE roasted Brussel Sprouts. I also love mashed avocado in my tuna salad, which gives the salad a bit of a brown coloring. But, it tastes amazing (in my opinion!)
Jenna recently posted..Burpee Challenge! – Do you have what it takes?

40 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! January 18, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Mmm panera sounds so good right now!
green smoothies! it always grosses my coworker out.
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Random Friday Returns – Spoiled Dog & Thunder Snow

41 Danica @ It's Progression January 18, 2013 at 12:03 pm

most of my smoothies look terrible, but taste great!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Friday.

42 Sarah January 18, 2013 at 12:08 pm

LOVE celeriac! Though it’s great boiled and mashed, just like potatoes, I am an even bigger fan of it served raw in coleslaw dressing, like this: http://fritosandfoiegras.com/2010/11/its-complicated.html

Hope you try the recipe and like it – it’s one of my faves!

43 Sami January 18, 2013 at 12:19 pm

so jealous of your weekly goods! :) i need to find a job like that. where do you work? you might see an application from me soon. hehe.

xo.
Sami recently posted..The Chobani Fairy.

44 Danielle @ Truffles n' Treadmills January 18, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Hopefully that veggie tastes much better than it looks! Let us know if you try it and how it tastes!
Danielle @ Truffles n’ Treadmills recently posted..I Caved

45 Sarah@makingthymeforhealth January 18, 2013 at 12:58 pm

I actually just found a recipe that I wanted to make that has celeriac. I was like “what the heck is that?” Now I know! ;)

In case you are interested in the recipe: Lentils with Wine-Glazed Winter Vegetables
Sarah@makingthymeforhealth recently posted..“I Don’t Have Thyme” Spicy Tomato Soup

46 Genelle January 18, 2013 at 1:13 pm

you’re doing great! I hope I have half as much energy as you if I get pregnant!
Celeriac is quite ugly but you’ll find that it’s yummy in soup or roasted!
Genelle recently posted..Crockpot Shredded Chicken

47 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 18, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Panera always comes to the rescue when you need a quick, but healthy lunch! I cannot get enough of it.

I have never even heard of celeriac. I will be interested to see what you make with it :).

I am so glad that your first experience with roasting brussel sprouts went so well! They are one of my absolute favorite vegetables to roast. In fact, I am eating some for lunch as I type this.
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Veggie Stuffed Mushrooms

48 cathy January 18, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Go to the website for the TV show the Chew. Michael Symon just did a segment the other day on Celeric. :)

49 Cassie @RedLetterDaye January 18, 2013 at 2:59 pm

I feel like a lot of the time, my food looks kinda gross, but it always tastes good. My coworkers will pass by my desk, and ask, “what’s that?!” Delicious, that’s what it is.
Cassie @RedLetterDaye recently posted..turning fears into faves

50 Brooke @ Running In Heels January 18, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Yum!!! I love the pick two from panera! I could never choose between my salad or soup.. I need both!

51 Taylor January 18, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Try roasting brussels sprouts in coconut oil – I promise you, they taste amazing!!!

52 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 18, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I’m actually going to grab dinner at Panera tonight and that salad looks perfect — I think I might need to give it a try!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..WIAW – Week 38

53 Irene January 18, 2013 at 4:05 pm

I actually really like roasting brussel sprouts with just olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic (sometimes I use garlic powder). I’m not sure the balsamic would be great with the brussel sprouts, so maybe try a simpler recipe first?

54 Miranda @ Biting Life January 18, 2013 at 4:55 pm

If I was going to get the You Pick Two from Panera, those are exactly the same things I would’ve picked! I loooove their new Chopped Cobb, it’s delicious :) I always get mine without the bacon, though (I’m one of those rare bacon-haters… you can judge me, I’m used to it! ;) ).
Miranda @ Biting Life recently posted..Shopping List Friday #12

55 Tyler Soj January 18, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Yum! I loved roasted brussel sprouts. Usually I coat them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder; however, last night I wrapped them in bacon for my husband’s birthday! They were delicious! I served them with a mustard-sour cream dip. Give it a try! Bacon makes everything better! :)

56 Bek @ Crave January 18, 2013 at 9:32 pm

I love brussel sprouts, we usually have them steamed. I reckon candied bacon could make anything taste better haha!

Hmm an ugly food I like..sweet potatoes can be pretty ugly and dirty but they taste awesome!
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Love The Links 19/1

57 Jess @ Blonde Ponytail January 18, 2013 at 9:43 pm

That’s my fav Panera combo too and the bb soup is surprisingly filling! And, sleep! I hear ya girl–I need it more than ever now. Our bodies are baking babies! :)
Jess @ Blonde Ponytail recently posted..My New Job!

58 Joy January 19, 2013 at 12:49 am

I love that soup! And the soup I made this week is ugly but so yummy it’s roasted red pepper tomato

59 Emily @ Hungry Delights January 19, 2013 at 9:31 pm

The panera looks really yummy – you got some awesome veggies too – looks really fresh and delicious :)
Emily @ Hungry Delights recently posted..WIAW – Surviving the flu