10-10-10 Strength & Cardio Circuit

by Courtney on January 22, 2013

So I know I told you all this morning that I had a really fun workout to share…well, I’m not one to back down on my word!

10-10-10 strength and cardio circuit1

Back almost a year ago exactly, I ended up stumbling upon Brittany’s 10-10-10 Quick Interval Workout. Since then, it’s remained a good staple in our home, and has been kept in our pile of treadmill workouts downstairs. Jay also enjoys doing this one, and will occasionally modify it to his own needs.

Well recently, I also re-discovered the workout, but since me and “sprinting” aren’t really pals these days, I decided to make my own version of it to better suits my own workout needs and desires. (*If you are up for some sprinting, definitely give Brittany’s a try!)

The Basics:

• The workout should ALWAYS start and end with a 5 minute warm up and cool down. No ifs, ands, or buts about it!
  • Each set is repeated three times. So, for example, set 1 would look like this: 1 minute speed walk –> 1st set of each exercise –> 1 minute speed walk –> 2nd set of each exercise –> 1 minute speed walk –> 3rd set of each exercise. You would then move on to set 2.
  • Set 1 = lower body
  • Set 2 = biceps & trieps
  • Set 3 = shoulders
  • You may want more than one set of dumbbells, depending on what your strengths are.

The entire workout should take you between 35-40 minutes to complete; this morning, it took me 38 minutes.

IMG_1157_thumb.jpg

Most of the exercises should be self-explanatory, such as the lower body exercises, but here’s a few references for you, for the others, just in case. :)

For Biceps and Triceps:

Tricep Kickbacks (try not to let dumbbells come back past your hips on the way back down in order to keep the tension on the muscle)

tricep extension

Hammer curls (but done standing; palms face in, rather than up like with a typical bicep curl)

hammer curl

For Shoulders:(3 of my favorite moves from my 7 Moves for Shredded Shoulders workout)

Front Raises - Standing, hold dumbbells in front of you with your palms facing your legs. Keep your elbows and knees slightly bent as you raise your arms straight in front of you to shoulder level. Slowly return to the starting position.

Overhead Press - Stand holding dumbbells in each hand. Bring the dumbbells up to level with your shoulders, palms facing away from you. Press the dumbbells upward so that your arms are fully extended. Slowly return to the starting position, keeping dumbbells to level with your shoulders.

Shoulder Rotations – Standing, hold dumbbells with arms together in front of body, bent at elbows, forearms waist high, palms up (like you’re holding a tray). Rotate forearms out to side, keeping elbows bent and palms up. Slowly return to the starting position.

Have fun with this one! Trust me…the changing up of the exercises with the treadmill makes the time FLY by!

1 Sarah @PickyRunner January 22, 2013 at 2:04 pm

These are some great exercises! I need to start working more on strength for track but I have trouble coming up with my own routines!
Sarah @PickyRunner recently posted..This is goodbye

2 Michelle@Peachy Palate January 22, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Great workout! I wish I had a treadmill at home!!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Raving about it

3 Lauren January 22, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Love interval workouts. So effective and you can usually get them done in a reasonable amount of time. Thanks for sharing!

4 Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots January 22, 2013 at 2:13 pm

this workout looks awesome! Cant wait to try it!
Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots recently posted..Life lessons from a 25 year old

5 kim@hungryhealthygirl January 22, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Love the look of this workout! Workouts like these keep me from getting bored!
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Blueberry Banana Stuffed French Toast {with Ezekiel 4:9® Flax Sprouted Whole Grain Bread}

6 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance January 22, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Aw! Thanks for the shutout, Court! Glad to hear that you and Jay enjoy the awesomeness of strength and cardio combos too ;)

P.S. 8 DAYS UNTIL OUR BIRTHDAYS!!!!!

7 Annette@FitnessPerks January 22, 2013 at 2:33 pm

I love working the rotators!

Yes, strength & cardio combined stuff makes time fly for sure. Love it.
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Sparkly + Awesome + Things to Avoid

8 Lisa January 22, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Fun workout! I love the combo of strength and cardio, since it makes time go by about a million times faster! Now I just wish I liked the treadmill, the spin bike is my cardio of choice!
Lisa recently posted..Everything Happens for a Reason

9 michelle kim January 22, 2013 at 2:55 pm

You’re totally right about workouts like this flying by super quickly! It’s also great because it hits every body part!
michelle kim recently posted..Our Snowshoeing Experience

10 Katie @ running4cupcakes January 22, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Yeah! for a new workout!! Love that shoulder exercise – good one! :)
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Weekend Update: 1/20/13

11 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 22, 2013 at 3:24 pm

This looks like a GREAT workout!! I’ll have to give it a try!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Lance vs. Oprah

12 Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well January 22, 2013 at 3:28 pm

I’ve been in an exercise rut lately, so hopefully this will help me out!

13 Allison January 22, 2013 at 3:31 pm

You know it’s a good workout when the time flies by! Gonna try this one out at the gym tonight :)

14 Linz @ Itz Linz January 22, 2013 at 3:42 pm

this looks AWESOME!! i love changing up my workouts because i do get bored!! going to try this on wednesday with my buddy who i work out with!!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Healthy Hair Healthy YOU – Preston Salon Spa

15 Marielle January 22, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Love finding new workouts……excited to try this one!
Marielle recently posted..Ballet Butt Workout

16 Meghan @ After the Ivy League January 22, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Great workout! I love circuits like this. I feel weird jumping on and off the treadmill at the gym though, so I think I’d replace the 1 min of cardio with something I can do at home. I’ll save this one for later!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Versatile and Sweet

17 Emily @ Hungry Delights January 22, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Great workouts – I do similar at the moment and this would be a nice change up for my routine!
Emily @ Hungry Delights recently posted..WIAW – Surviving the flu

18 Katie @ Skinny Minnie Moves January 22, 2013 at 5:32 pm

I did an interval workout today on the treadmill too! I do this on days I lack motivation so it goes by quicker!
Katie @ Skinny Minnie Moves recently posted..I Will Never Go Hungry Again

19 Kerry @ Totes My Oats January 22, 2013 at 5:38 pm

I am totally saving this workout to do sometime soon! It looks like a good one :)
Kerry @ Totes My Oats recently posted..Oatmeal Raisin and Walnut Cookies

20 My Neon Running Shoes January 22, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Thanks for sharing! I agree changing it up on the treadmill just makes the time go by so much faster!
My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..A new look

21 Emily January 22, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Looks like I’ll have to try these. I love that I can totally do these at home- I don’t want to go outside when it’s below zero!! (:

22 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 22, 2013 at 8:34 pm

I really enjoy workouts that alternate between cardio and strength training. I like to mix things up, and these types of workouts keep me interested and help prevent me from getting bored quickly. This is great!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Spicy Black Bean Soup

23 jackie January 22, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Quick question did you rest between the exercises in each set or just go straight? Thanks!

24 Courtney January 22, 2013 at 8:54 pm

I just went straight through :)

25 Becky January 22, 2013 at 9:17 pm

I did this workout tonight at the gym & it was awesome. The time fly by. I did sprints in between instead of walking to push myself a little. Thanks for the great workout!!

26 Sarah January 23, 2013 at 1:48 am

I wish I had a treadmill! I bought a great workout DVD by Ramona Braganza and it is similar to this with a mixture of cardio and strength. It’s just too cold to do cardio outside right now. She also has a post pregnancy DVD that looks great for getting back into shape. It’s called the 321 method.

27 Jenna @ Crazy Healthy Fit January 23, 2013 at 7:14 am

Looks like a fun workout, thanks!
Jenna @ Crazy Healthy Fit recently posted..Burpee Update**

28 Madison January 23, 2013 at 7:41 am

I want to try that 10-10-10 workout! Thanks for the tip!
Madison recently posted..Tone-It-Up Tuesday: Love Your Abs Routine

29 sara @ fitcupcaker January 23, 2013 at 8:36 am

looks like a fun way to switch up a workout!
sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Tuna Chicken Shrimp: Two New Recipes

30 Patty January 23, 2013 at 10:27 am

I don’t have a treadmill at home; could I run in place instead of the min. walk on the treadmill and still get the same benefits?

31 Courtney January 23, 2013 at 10:58 am

Absolutely. Any cardio would work!

32 Karen January 25, 2013 at 8:05 am

I tried this workout this morning and it was AWESOME!! Can’t wait to do it again. Have a great weekend!!
Karen recently posted..Friday Facts

33 Courtney January 25, 2013 at 8:08 am

Yayyy!! :) Thanks, you too!