Creamy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce

by Courtney on March 1, 2013

Oooooo, baby. Do I have a recipe for you today!

For the past few months, ever since I had it back in October, I’ve had a strong desire to create some sort of pumpkin cream sauce. While I knew it’d probably never be as good as the one I had, I still needed to try my hand at it…and last night was the night.

One of the best things about it is that it’s actually fairly healthy; and if you pair it with some spaghetti squash and extra vegetables, then you’ve got an even healthier dish at your fingertips…err, your fork tines? Last night, I paired a big bowl of spaghetti squash with some steamed broccoli and a sliced chicken sausage, then tossed it all together with lots of pumpkin cream sauce and some fresh Parmesan cheese.

The result? Incredible!

I had no idea how much the recipe would make, but I thought for sure I’d have enough for leftovers today. Well, it turns out that we were apparently hungrier than I expected, because the two of us finished off the entire batch of pumpkin sauce ourselves. Whoops.

So I don’t know. Maybe you could get more than two servings of it? But then again, I wouldn’t have had any less in my bowl, so I’ll probably just double it next time. ;)

*****

As if you haven’t already seen enough pictures of this dish…what’s one more? ;)

That’s how much I love this stuff. I cannot WAIT to make it again!

Heyyy, happy FRIDAY everyone! I have a suuuuuper busy day ahead of me at work but I’m so looking forward to the weekend. Here’s to hoping 5:00pm comes mighty quick today. ;)

1 Jennifer@knackfornutrition March 1, 2013 at 12:07 pm

This looks so delicious. I have a can of pumpkin in the pantry just begging to be used. I’ll have to give this a try!

2 Nicole @ Fruit'N'Fitness March 1, 2013 at 12:12 pm

This sounds amazing! I love using butternut squash mash as a sauce base. I could also eat pumpkin and other fall flavors all year!

3 Ashley @ Life and Fitness March 1, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Mmmm hello pumpkin! I always forget to add it to recipes after the fall. Your dinner looks great!

4 Parita @ myinnershakti March 1, 2013 at 12:18 pm

This sounds and looks delicious! And Vishnu and I are the same way. I’ll make something thinking I’ll have enough for lunch the next day, but no…we end up eating all the food!!

5 chelcie @ chelcie's food files March 1, 2013 at 12:19 pm

mmm that sounds delicious! Whenever i make spaghetti squash I always eat a BIG bowl of it and there aren’t as many leftovers as I would of hoped for!

6 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 1, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Pumpkin pasta sauce sounds so good! I’m glad I have one can of pumpkin puree sitting my pantry. I think I might need to use it to make this recipe. :) I’d like to try it with spaghetti squash too. I haven’t had spaghetti squash in a while.

7 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance March 1, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Looks delicious! I’m definitely pinning this to try, as just this week I posted about finding better ways to enjoy spaghetti squash (using it as a straight-up pasta replacement under marinara sauce doesn’t cut it for me). I did a spaghetti squash bake that was really good. This pumpkin sauce looks great–can’t wait to try it!

8 Meghan @ After the Ivy League March 1, 2013 at 12:23 pm

This looks so good! I recently discovered the genius of adding Greek yogurt to pasta sauce, it makes it so creamy and it’s totally healthy too! I gotta try this version :)

9 Shel@PeachyPalate March 1, 2013 at 12:29 pm

LOVE using pumpkin in pasta sauce…I add in nutritional yeast for vegan cheesiness!

10 nycfitgirl March 1, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Ok this looks delish!! yum!!

11 Liz @ Tip Top Shape March 1, 2013 at 12:33 pm

This looks amazing!! I love the idea of a pumpkin cream sauce!

12 Charlie March 1, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I actually have an opened can of pumpkin that I need to use! This looks so good + easy, I’ll definitely make it :).

13 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness March 1, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Love this! Such a different idea for a sauce. Can’t wait to try this!

14 Lisa March 1, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I love this idea! I’ve seen people use butternut squash in creamy sauces, but I’m much more of a pumpkin gal;)
And anything that includes squash is a winner in my books.

15 Erin @ Axell's Kitchen March 1, 2013 at 1:09 pm

OMG yum looks divine! I have all the ingredients except pumpkin..boo!

16 Heather @fitncookies March 1, 2013 at 1:18 pm

This looks so good, and healthy with spaghetti squash- which I am still trying t get my hands on and try sometime soon!! I always love your recipes, so this is being added to the list!

17 kim@hungryhealthygirl March 1, 2013 at 1:22 pm

That sounds fabulous and I love all of the ingredients! Definitely going to give this a try!

18 sara @ fitcupcaker March 1, 2013 at 1:35 pm

This looks so good! I cant wait to try it. I love pumpkin in so many things.

19 Jamie March 1, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I was just looking for an idea for lunch when you posted this, so I took it as a sign. This is quick, easy, and so delicious! Thanks for sharing!!!

20 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl March 1, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I LOVE pumpkin, so naturally this looks and sounds soooo good. Plus, I love that you served it with spaghetti squash! I will definitely be making either a vegetarian or vegan version of this :).

21 Kristine March 1, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Oh my goodness this looks UNREAL! I have a spaghetti squash staring at me on the counter and I’ve been so bored with my usual red sauce or pesto on top. I am absolutely making this – mayyyyybe even tonight! Although Friday to me always screams homemade pizza! Anyone else?

22 Jennifer @ Healthy Wifestyles March 1, 2013 at 2:04 pm

I just roasted up some butternut squash last night and wanted to pair it with pasta tonight. I think I will swap out the pumpkin with my squash and try your sauce tonight!!

23 Linz @ Itz Linz March 1, 2013 at 2:08 pm

pumpkin pasta sauce?! i’ve never had anything like it! sounds interesting – i’d be willing to give it a try!

24 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes March 1, 2013 at 2:13 pm

YUM! I love pumpkin! Thank you for sharing!

25 Claire @ Health Nut Claire March 1, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I’m drooling over those pictures! Looks awesome!

26 Natalie @ Free Range Human March 1, 2013 at 2:52 pm

That does look delicious! I’ve been wanting to try a yummy pumpkin sauce!

27 Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well March 1, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Yummy yum! I love it when recipes made in the winter/spring incorporate ingredients that are thought to be more wintery!

28 Tara | Treble in the Kitchen March 1, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Yum! I am always looking for ways to dress up spaghetti squash. I can’t wait to try this unique and delicious looking sauce :)

29 Maureen @ Breaking Free & Finding Me March 1, 2013 at 3:39 pm

this looks DELICIOUS! def making this sometime this week. Thanks :)

30 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health March 1, 2013 at 4:08 pm

This sounds so creamy and yummy! I hear ya about 5pm. Can get here soon enough!

31 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 1, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Yum!! I don’t know if my husband would like this, but I would be all over it. It sounds incredible!

32 Runner Girl Eats March 1, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Um, this looks great. I will def be making this sometime soon.

33 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 1, 2013 at 6:16 pm

That sauce sounds deeeelish!

34 Jessica @ Prayers and Apples March 2, 2013 at 12:01 am

i wish i was that creative! i could never just throw a recipe together… things would not go well lol

35 Katie @ SkinnyMinnieMoves March 2, 2013 at 12:08 am

YUM!

36 Bek @ Crave March 3, 2013 at 2:24 am

Hope your day went quick :) Sounds yum! Fork tines?! I had no idea they were called that haha. I wish Aus had spaghetti squash :(

37 Amy May 29, 2013 at 10:40 am

I love this recipe – it is so easy to make. However, I am finding when I add the milk and yogurt it separates and rather than have a creamy consistency it ends up ‘curdled.’ I’ve tried blending it afterward which helps some, but was wondering if you had any tips on how I could get it to appear like your pictures? Also, what type of Greek yogurt did you use – I was using fat free.

38 Courtney May 29, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Hmmm…I used 2% Chobani – maybe the extra fat makes a difference?