A Little Food Prep

Hello! Good morning! Happy Monday!

How was everyone’s weekend? Things were pretty darn good over here…you already saw most of my Saturday, and Sunday was just as nice. I had a baby shower brunch to go to for my friend Kate, which my mom was also going to so it was nice to spend a few hours with her. After the shower I came home and both Jay and I did some work around the house – I did a little cleaning, laundry, and organizing, while Jay worked a bit more on the nursery.

When it came time for dinner, surprisingly enough, I actually had a bit of motivation to put some time in the kitchen. Who knew?

I think my favorite part of the meal was Kristin’s Creamy Garlic Shells. I pinned these a while back and came across them yesterday while trying to figure out dinner. I already had everything on hand – even after I ruined the first batch after burning the garlic. Whoops.

Dinner also included another Pinterest find, which was this chicken recipe. I pinned it a few weeks ago and had high hopes, but it wasn’t quite as stellar as I was hoping for. I mean, it was good, but it didn’t come out looking anything like the photo and just tasted like it was missing a little something.

I’ll have to figure out what to do to jazz up the other chicken pieces, because we’ve got plenty of leftovers from both!

So that whole motivation in the kitchen thing? Would you guys believe that I actually did a teeny tiny amount of prep work for the week ahead??? I know, right? Crazy.

I’ve had a spaghetti squash sitting on my counter for a while, so I decide to test out Skinnytaste’s Spaghetti Squash Lasagna. I didn’t follow it exactly but it was pretty close and is basically the same idea…lots of spaghetti squash, sauce, and cheese. YUM. I packed up one piece to go along with my lunch today and will still have three more for during the week.

I also prepped two batches of overnight oats in a jar. These jars have been waiting around for a about a week , so I figured I should probably get working on them. Since I never seem to feel like making OOIAJ when I should (aka, the night before), I figured I’d just prep them now and have them for during the week when I want them.

One of those days just so happens to be today. 😉

This morning I also managed to get up on time for a quick workout. Nothing crazy…just a quick, 30 minutes on the treadmill which varied in inclines and speeds while watching the morning news.

Now it’s time to get back to the grind that is the work week. Ohhh, it sneaks up on us so fast, doesn’t it?

Question for the Morning:

How much food prep do you do on the weekends for the week ahead? A lot? Nothing?

Someday, I hope to be as good as Lindsay, but I doubt that I’ll ever get to that point. 😉

Comments

I used to do way more, but now I do less. I make sure I have a meal plan for each meal every day and make sure there are leftovers each night for my husband’s lunch and call it done! I usually bake every other weekend to make sure we have some muffins or cookies on hand too.

I am more of a food prep the night before kind of gal. But I really would like to maybe roasting some veggies up for the week or cooking up some chicken, I think it would make thing A LOT easier!
    Lyric recently posted..Scenes From Sunday

3. Amanda says

I try to prep as much as possible on Sundays. Some weeks are better than others, but I try to portion out my breakfast, lunch, and snacks for the week.

4. Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes says

I used to do more but kind of got out of the habit. Winging it works for us! Any progress on baby tooths name?? :-)

5. Kathryn says

I’m horrible, I know I should do some prep for hubby’s lunches on the weekend (I stay at home, he works), but I never get around to it. Though, I did get a little better this weekend. He’s been wanting breakfast burritos in the morning (scrambled egg, a potatoes O’Brien type mix, and bacon). We get up at 4:30am, so making the potatoes was killing me. I made a big batch yesterday and just reheated the portion I needed this morning, cut down the breakfast making time by 20 minutes!

I have a love/hate relationship with food prepping for the week. It’s great when you have all your meals ready to go during the work week, but it’s def. time consuming on the weekend. Whew, I felt so accomplished when I finished all my meals yesterday!
    Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..Mustaches

I am so bad at meal planning, it would make my life so much easier if I would do it! I make a spaghetti squash “lasagna” similar to that that’s delicious! And those shells look so good need to try those.
    Erin @Axell’s Kitchen recently posted..Weekend Wrap Up

Those creamy garlic shells look delicious! Every Sunday I try to do all my prep for the week. I cook several meals (or my husband grills) and we try to get our work lunches/breakfasts together as well. It’s definitely worth it to do it ahead of time, rather than scrambling b/f work in the a.m. :)

9. Sarah says

I have tried that chicken recipe also and felt that it was missing something. I had such high hopes but just was as disappointed as you. It was good chicken, but nothing special.

I prep all of my fruits & veggies on grocery day, which is always Tuesday, and is always my “rest day” from working out. I find that if I don’t do it right on grocery day, I end up not eating them (because I’m too busy to wash, cut, package) & I end up tossing out so much produce. That’s about the extent of my food prep.
    Jillian @ Trail Mix Diaries recently posted..A new twist on 2 old favorites…

Awesome job food prepping! It always feels so nice during the week when lunches, etc. are ready to go. I’ve been really slacking with food prep lately thanks to a bunch of weekends away. I’m not complaining though, if a weekend away means I can’t prep lunches, that’s a small price to pay! I’ll be in the kitchen tonight though haha
    Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Snow Shoeing, Tree Climbing, and a Near Moose Sighting

After prepping on Sunday’s because of Lindsay for the last few weeks, it totally messed up my week when I don’t do it now. At the very leased I like to get a few lunches packed/dinner’s started. It makes the week so much easier!
    Emily @ The Good Era recently posted..Perfect Iced Coffee

I’m actually pretty horrible when it comes to food prep. The only thing I really always make sure to have on hand is some kind of baked/grilled chicken so I can easily throw a meal together in a pinch, but other than that I tend to make it up as I go along. I used to be really big into meal prep but I think I kind of burnt out on it… That and I don’t like putting something together and then feeling like I have to eat it just because it’s there, even if I’m craving something else.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... little things that lift the funk .

Jealous of your OIAJ! I’m almost down to some empty jars :) If I know I’ll be in town most of the week, I do a decent amount of prep for quick lunches at least. Dinners I try to plan enough so that I don’t have to go to the grocery store during the week, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t :)
    Katie @ KatieEnPursuit recently posted..1 to 88 and Everything Between

I pinned that garlic shells recipe too…glad that it turned out well!
    I’m not a food prep-person at all. I’ll usually make extra if I’m cooking rice for dinner or something, but make an entire meal for the sole purpose of meals to eat later in the week? Never happens.

I always say I’m going to make time to prep on the weekends – I have the best intentions – but it just never happens. I don’t know why! Maybe next weekend. Maybe 😉

17. Barbara says

I wish I could say I’m a food-prepper but I’m not. It happens kind of randomly… I don’t think that counts.

Garlic shells look de-lish! Chicken looks good – just looks likes it needs some sauteed vegetables on it – sauteed mushrooms, red peppers, and onions maybe?

Food prep is something I SHOULD do, but I never seem to get around to it. I like your idea of making a few batches of overnight oats at once. I eat them practically every morning, so why have I not thought of making several servings at one time??? Definitely doing that tonight!
    Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Meal Plan: Week of 4/8

19. Erin says

How funny, I made that same Pinterest chicken recipe last week and I felt the same way! The yogurt made the chicken really moist but it was really missing something in the flavor dept. I even added some Dijon mustard but maybe some fresh herbs would help?

I tend to either go all out, or do nothing. This week I had planned to do tons of (Saturday) food prep because I am working a conference, but I didn’t and I ended up eating some really unsatisfying food today. I’m about to make some overnight oats so that, if nothing else, I can have a good breakfast for tomorrow! I need to check my PB jar to see if its ready- thanks for the inspiration!
    Kim @ Cooking in the City recently posted..On The Go

I try to prep as much as I can, but I could definitely do better. I meal plan to save money and always have a healthy option, but I don’t actually prep most of the stuff in advance. I honestly get kinda skeeved out by prepping something like ground beef 5 days in advance, but it would probably save me so much time!
    Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny recently posted..MIMM Here Comes the Sun

Hey Courtney,

Loving the Garlic shells! Although I think I might of overdone it on the Garlic if you ask my husband oooops lol.

I tend to prepare only salad dressing for the week.

I try and cook everything on the day if possible which takes up a lot of time obviously, so it would be nice to do more prep in advance.

We go through tons of salad in my house, hence the dressing gets made in batches.

Thanks for sharing, hope you have a lovely week.

Sarah xoxo

Hah! I am the worst!!! I always intend to prep in advance, but sadly they are just pipe dreams. Instead, I try to make extra food at dinner time in order to have left overs for lunch the next day :)

I LOVE prepping food the weekend before because it truly does streamline my week, but this past weekend I was home for my bridal shower so I missed my food prep and things are a little crazy when it comes to putting food together! EEK! Oh well…at least I went grocery shopping so we have plenty of options to choose from :)
    Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted..A BIG and Unexpected Change

I would be absolutely lost if I didn’t prep food for the week. What with work, socialising and training there is little time in the week to spend cooking. Get it all done on Saturday and then you have no excuses.

Trackbacks