Learning As I Go

by Courtney on April 15, 2013

Well heyyyyy there, strangers. Long time no chat!

As you may or may not have noticed, I stepped away a bit from the computer this weekend. Granted, I was still on it but the websites I was on consisted mainly of Babies ‘R’ Us, Target, Amazon, and Etsy. Ahh yes…trying to finish up baby registries and find some cute invitations for baby shower. Thankfully, I was pretty successful in both areas – I found invitations I love AND am about 95% done with completing our registries. Whew, what a task!

But anyways, yes. I decided to let the blog be and instead focused on some other things that needed to be taken care of. And honestly, I have a feeling most weekends will wind up being pretty similar. I don’t know what it is – maybe it was pregnancy that started it, maybe not – but I feel like I’m in the midst of some new perspectives on a lot of things in life. It’s an interesting process, and one that I’m learning a lot about as I go.

I know I’ve mentioned something similar to this before, in terms of my views on food and whatnot, but I really do feel like I just have so much to share with you guys. Life has been so busy these days (mostly in a good way), and I just haven’t had the chance to really sit down and pour my thoughts out like I used to. And you know, I’m excited to do it…not only to share with all of you, but also because I really just want to put it all together for myself. I promise…one of these days I’m going to get to it!

So as for the weekend? Well, it was great. A low-key Friday evening, a productive Saturday at home followed by dinner out with friends, and a VERY busy and productive Sunday. We are making a ton of progress on the nursery and I am just thrilled at how it’s turning out. We also had the rest of our furniture come in, so now it’s just a matter of finishing up the walls, some trim work, and finalizing some bedding. Eeeeek!

As far as food goes? Oh there was plenty of good stuff to be had. I didn’t bother snapping photos of everything, but there were a few highlights…

Sunday morning pancakes, courtesy of my wonderful husband.

pancakes

He made our favorite pancake recipe but also mixed some cinnamon chips into a few of them. SUCH a great idea.

Yesterday I also did a little baking, in the form of my Neapolitan cupcakes with ice cream frosting. The guys at Jay’s work have been bugging asking for cupcakes for weeks now, so since I had some time this weekend I figured I’d make them a little something special.

neapolitan cupcakes

They are crazy about cupcakes over there, I’ll tell ya!

In the middle of making cupcakes yesterday, I realized I had a couple of bananas that needed to be used, so I whipped up a batch of Dark Chocolate Chip Banana Bread…only with cinnamon chips instead.

banana bread

Apparently we were on a cinnamon chip kick this weekend, eh? ;)

For dinner, we had thawed out a whole wheat pizza dough from the freezer but weren’t quite sure what to do with it. Eventually, we decided on garbage bread.

garbage bread

I made two mini loaves – one with garlic aioli, slices of deli ham, and cheese, and the other with pizza sauce, sliced chicken sausage, and mozzarella cheese.

garbage bread

Both were good, but I think the chicken sausage one was my favorite.

So with all of the carbs and goodies that were enjoyed over the weekend, I figured I should probably make an attempt at adding some veggies in today…so I made myself a nice big salad for lunch.

salad

This is actually a salad that I had on Friday, but today’s salad looks just like it – lots of veggies, avocado, raspberry walnut dressing, and TJ’s roast turkey.

salad with dressing

YUM.

So how was everyone else’s weekend? Do anything fun and/or exciting?

And on a totally different note, how the heck are we already halfway through April? Seriously?!?!

1 Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers April 15, 2013 at 9:03 am

Mmmm, I could go for some of that garbage bread! I had a good time hanging out with friends this weekend. Sadly, that racked up the food bill since it was mainly dinner-date hangouts, but it was still fun!
Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers recently posted..Restaurant Peeves

2 Allison April 15, 2013 at 9:05 am

I am glad you are taking time for yourself and to actually live your life! This is such an exciting time for you; you deserve to enjoy it :)
Allison recently posted..The best day of my life. Ever.

3 Jenny@The Wellness Journey April 15, 2013 at 9:06 am

I know right?! (About April) Happy Tax Day! ha!

The weekend ended up being very productive! Got lots of spring cleaning done and then yesterday I ran the Hershey 10K. (AND PR’d!) Woot woot!

That bread looks yummy! Now I need to go make some. :-)

Have a great week!
Jenny@The Wellness Journey recently posted..Motivation Monday {Hershey 10K Race Recap!}

4 Kathryn April 15, 2013 at 9:08 am

My weekend consisted of getting a new haircut and figuring out how to work it and actually do something with it besides putting it up in a ponytail. Otherwise, our battle of wills continued with our son. He’s hit that stage of development where he doesn’t want to do ANYTHING we ask. Couple that with Autism and a sudden intense compulsion about his routines and it made for a very rough weekend.

5 Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction April 15, 2013 at 9:09 am

I love chicken sausage! I did not think I would, but it is so good! I want to try the garbage bread now.
Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction recently posted..Weigh In Monday

6 Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle April 15, 2013 at 9:10 am

Good for you to leave the blog idle for a little to enjoy this awesome time in your life! I hope you post the baby shower invites :) I’m sure they’re adorable.

We had a nice family meet-up at a central crab house this weekend. So, so good and lots of fun!

7 Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty April 15, 2013 at 9:12 am

It looks like you had a very productive weekend! I don’t know what the weather was like out there, but it was pretty nasty here which made for the perfect atmosphere to bake up some bread and great dinners!
Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty recently posted..Chicken Marbella & Weekend Scenes

8 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes April 15, 2013 at 9:14 am

Good for you for taking time for what’s important! We put on a baby shower for my sister in law! It was so much fun decorating and doing little crafts!!! And she had a great time too :-)
Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..T minus 1 month: Claire!

9 Lisa April 15, 2013 at 9:16 am

I still can’t believe April is half way done. So odd.
Looks like a great weekend, I think it’s great to step away from the blog for a bit and get some time in for yourself and really live it up!
That salad looks so good!
Lisa recently posted..Intuitive Living

10 Heather @fitncookies April 15, 2013 at 9:17 am

I can’t believe we are halfway through April!! I managed to cross some things off my wedding to do list this weekend, and had time to enjoy myself! I think it is great you took time for yourself this weekend and went without the blog :) It is pretty refreshing sometimes!
Heather @fitncookies recently posted..What a Jam Packed Saturday- MIMM

11 Natalie @ Free Range Human April 15, 2013 at 9:19 am

Sounds (and looks!) like a great weekend! I had a pretty fabulous one! My husband and I went backpacking, and it was so great to get out into nature for a few days.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..An Evening In The Wild

12 Jana @ Happy Wife Heakthy Life April 15, 2013 at 9:23 am

So glad you were able to step away this weekend! I think we definitely grow and put things into perspective over time and I can’t wait to hear your thoughts :)

That garbage bread looks awesome! I will have to give it a try!

13 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles April 15, 2013 at 9:24 am

I really need to try your garbage bread sometime!

14 Lauren April 15, 2013 at 9:33 am

Girl, don’t EVER feel guilty about taking some time for YOU. As much as we love hearing about your everyday happenings, sometimes, it’s better to just live every single moment and not worry about writing it down.

Love you girl! XO

15 Erin @Axell's Kitchen April 15, 2013 at 9:40 am

I spent my weekend celebrating Levi’s first birthday and being an emotional wreck bc I can’t believe he is already one!!
And that garbage bread looks soooo good!
Erin @Axell’s Kitchen recently posted..Weekend Wrap Up: Little Man’s Birthday

16 Shel@PeachyPalate April 15, 2013 at 9:43 am

You were the baking queen this past weekend!!! Very productive! The cupcakes are gorgeous! Did you make any purchases online?

17 Linz @ Itz Linz April 15, 2013 at 9:51 am

you are the best baker everrrr!!! and i can’t believe we’re halfway through april!! my students have 6 more weeks til summer!!! what??!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Healthy Weekend

18 sara @ fitcupcaker April 15, 2013 at 9:56 am

good for you! Sometimes a weekend to yourself is def needed! You must be so busy with the baby coming :) I had way too much PIZZA over the weekend!
sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Low Carb, Low Sugar Blueberry Muffins

19 Koryn @ High Heels & Healthy Alternatives April 15, 2013 at 10:21 am

Agreed – “Sometimes a weekend to yourself is def needed!” I actually took off from blogging Friday to enjoy time with the hubby, celebrating his bday! You/Family time is always a pleasure! :) Such an exciting time for you with the baby coming soon. YAY!
Koryn @ High Heels & Healthy Alternatives recently posted..Monday Madness! :-)

20 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health April 15, 2013 at 9:59 am

Looks like a tasty weekend! I bet the nursery looks beautiful! And yes, where did April go? Time is flying by!
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Morning Rounds Muesli French Toast + Noonday Style Launch Party

21 Karen April 15, 2013 at 10:01 am

That garbage bread looks amazing!! My hubby surprised me with a night away on Friday (my parents watched the little one). It was nice to have a night out where I could enjoy some adult beverages and not have to worry about getting up for my daughter. I also decided to finally get the tattoo I have been wanting and totally love it. The only downfall — can’t workout very hard as it’s on my foot and I can’t wear a lot of closed toe shoes for about 2 weeks…boo! Have a great week.
Karen recently posted..Weekend Recap–Photo Style

22 Nicole @ FruitnFitness April 15, 2013 at 10:28 am

It sounds like you had a great weekend! That’s so nice of you to make treats for the guys at Jays work! As for the halfway through April thing, crazy

23 Emily @ The Good Era April 15, 2013 at 10:33 am

Glad to hear you are taking some time for yourself! Looks like you had a great weekend baking and cooking some good eats.

This weekend went too fast, but we enjoyed a ton of time outside and went on two hikes!
Emily @ The Good Era recently posted..Take A Hike

24 Sarah April 15, 2013 at 10:38 am

That post made me hungry :) When we went to the States last month, I made sure to pick up some Cinnamon chips! Loved them in banana bread. Wish you could get them up here in Canada!

25 AshleyCarole April 15, 2013 at 10:41 am

It is necessary to take some time for yourself and your family every once in awhile! After seeing your baking fun this weekend I am in a baking mood for this week :)

26 Jacquelyn @justjacq April 15, 2013 at 10:46 am

I’ve been trying to decide for a while how often I want to post and if I want to post on weekends. I generally stay away from weekend posts because I don’t really go near my computer on the weekends and I prefer it that way. If something does post on a weekend it’s something I set up to do so automatically. It’s a hard balance to figure out but one that you have to listen to your heart and respect your needs and wants!
Jacquelyn @justjacq recently posted..Living on a Budget

27 Ashley @ Life and Fitness April 15, 2013 at 10:51 am

Oh my goodness you weren’t kidding when you said you had a busy Sunday. All that baking! I’m sure you have great leftovers for the week ahead :)
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..Nothing A Beer And A Coffee Can’t Fix

28 Jessie April 15, 2013 at 11:04 am

I’d love to hear more about your new perspective and the things you are learning!
Jessie recently posted..Viva Mexico!!!

29 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat April 15, 2013 at 11:08 am

We had pancakes on Sunday too!! Those cupcakes look yummy! I can’t believe we’re halfway through April either!!! My days just fly by so quickly…it’s crazy!!!

30 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl April 15, 2013 at 11:21 am

Having kiddos definitely puts things into perspective for you! Way to go on making so much progress with the registery…it’s a big job, but so fun too. You just gave me a major craving for some pancakes….it’s been way too long!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..A Marvelous Party Weekend

31 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 15, 2013 at 11:25 am

I always enjoy taking at least one day off on the weekends. As much as I love blogging, it’s always nice to be able to step away for a little while… especially when it involves getting some delicious baking done. That cinnamon chip banana bread is definitely calling to me.

Happy Monday, girlie!
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... my happy list .

32 Tina @ Best Body Fitness April 15, 2013 at 12:24 pm

I know what you mean about all the realizations and lessons being learned. I went through all of that during pregnancy too. And it just keeps coming as they get older. In the best of ways. :)

Glad you had a great weekend! Miss you!
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..Move It Monday: Upper Body Blast

33 Katie @ KatieEnPursuit April 15, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Excuse me…garbage bread?!? Yum! Sometimes unplugging is just what’s needed, I’ve been doing it some on the weekends as well, so nice to just enjoy what’s around us. And, yes, how is it halfway through April?!? Craziness!
Katie @ KatieEnPursuit recently posted..Move It Monday…

34 Jolynn April 15, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Fun!! I’m scared to tackle the registry but we actually went baby shopping to get an idea of what we’re looking for. We find out the sex this weekend!!! :):)
Jolynn recently posted..Baby Toma: 18 Weeks

35 Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections April 15, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I feel you about time away from the blog. It’s totally necessary & good for you. You have to go out and live a “normal” life too!

Looks like some really good eats over the weekend. I so want to try that garbage bread! Looks like a calzone kind of. I love anything with pizza dough!

And yes, April is officially on hyperspeed! What the heck!
Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections recently posted..5 Fun & Pretty Ways to Stay Organized

36 Lauren April 15, 2013 at 1:31 pm

If you need some down time, you need some down time! No one expects you to be here and document things 24/7. Not everyone has the time to spend on day-to-day or hour-to-hour updates and that’s OKAY. I’m just glad things are coming together for you and you got a lot accomplished this weekend!

PS. Please send me cupcakes, I’m probably as bad as Jay’s coworkers. lol
Lauren recently posted..Tea Shots and Cleanse Drinks

37 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries April 15, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Glad you had such a great weekend! Pregnancy and having a little one these last few weeks sure have changed my perspective in a way that I never would’ve even imagined!
It’s been far too long since I’ve made some of your delicious garbage bread! I think that needs to change here in the near future. ;)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Hunter: 2 weeks

38 Annette@FitnessPerks April 15, 2013 at 1:55 pm

I know–I can’t believe it’s halfway through April either!!

Garbage bread sounds so interesting–and cool!

and I agree–I always take time off from the blog on the weekend, and it’s SO nice. Life was supposed to be LIVED to the fullest, not just written about ;)
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Ate To My Heart’s Content

39 Raychel April 15, 2013 at 1:59 pm

April is going by quite fast, and you’d think that it would feel slower since Easter was in March this year!

I had a weekend of furniture shopping/browsing for our new home.. woohoo!
Raychel recently posted..Monday Meal Plan

40 Ellie@Fit for the Soul April 15, 2013 at 2:01 pm

I seriously can’t wait to see what you guys have for the nursery! It’s so fun and inspiring to see what decorations other parents put up in projects like that. And I don’t know why but that garbage bread just sounds delicious, despite the name! haha.
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Time for a Ballet Body Giveaway

41 Ashlee@HisnHers April 15, 2013 at 2:05 pm

You’ve got a lot going on girl, you deserve to step away on the weekends!
Ashlee@HisnHers recently posted..Enter a post title

42 Amanda Perry @ Sistas of Strength April 15, 2013 at 2:40 pm

You are Betty Crocker!!! :)
Amanda Perry @ Sistas of Strength recently posted..Being a Mom First

43 Gracie April 15, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Garbage Bread = pinned. So genius
Gracie recently posted..weekend wrap up.

44 Suzanne @ Mixing It Up April 15, 2013 at 4:31 pm

It is very rare that I blog on the weekends. That time is reserved for hanging out with family and friends or just being plain lazy!!

I am totally getting baby fever from you reading about the nursery. That was my favorite part of pregnancy, getting everything ready for bringing the babies home!!
Suzanne @ Mixing It Up recently posted..Weekend Recap: Trader Joe’s and Flower Beds

45 Leigha April 15, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Those pancakes look absolutely perfect right now. Garbage bread… that sounds good! I love a nice big salad. You had a super productive weekend!
Leigha recently posted..I see a better relationship coming

46 Amanda @ A Latte Learn April 15, 2013 at 6:05 pm

I am baking cupcakes for a work luncheon this week and was totally planning on doing your Neapolitan cupcakes! :)
Amanda @ A Latte Learn recently posted..A Big Celebration

47 Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny April 15, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Sometimes you need a day or two to focus on some other things. I try to shut down the computer as much as I can over the weekend and spend time with my friends, family, and fiancee – sometimes you need to focus on other things!
That garbage bread looks amazing, and now I’m really craving a calzone or something!
Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny recently posted..MIMM: too fast

48 Miranda @ Miranda Runs April 15, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Girl take your time! We all need time away from the computer. Too much screen time = no bueno! You’re such a baker, I love it!
Miranda @ Miranda Runs recently posted..No words

49 Bek @ Crave April 16, 2013 at 7:11 am

I know! The first half of the year goes so fast doesn’t it? Cannot wait to hear your thoughts :)
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Emotional Eating Series: Post 5

50 Kristen April 16, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Please please pleaseeeeee share your thoughts & new perspectives when you get a chance! I so admire all the thoughts you do share about your past struggles & now having a healthy relationship with food & realizing what’s important. Its so amazing to see how beautiful you are & gives me hope that I can feel the same someday too!! Thanks Courtney!