WIAW: Movie Night

by Courtney on April 17, 2013

I am feeling sleeeeeeepy this morning.

The movie we wound up going to see last night ended up being a little longer than we expected, and since the theater was a good 25 minutes away from our house, we didn’t get home until pretty late. Combine that with the fact that I wound up with a raging case of hormones on the way home and had a crying/sobbing fest for a good hour…well, yeah. I’m a little tired today.

Thankfully, my hormones seem to be somewhat back in check this morning and I’m really just dealing with a case of some pretty puffy eyes. Other than that, I’m good to go. So now that you all know what a sobbing mess I was last night (oh, it’s funny to look back on!), let’s get to the real meat and potatoes of today…it’s What I Ate Wednesday Tuesday.

Breakfast

It was a grab-’n'-go kinda morning yesterday, so on my way out the door, I quickly sliced off a piece of banana bread and grabbed a banana to go with it. Oh yeah…and I had time to stop for another iced coffee from Stewart’s.

IMG_1911

I really need to stop that…

Mid-Morning Snack

Just a simple apple. Definitely did the trick

IMG_1913

Lunch

I made myself a sandwich with some TJ’s roasted turkey, spinach, a wedge of The Laughing Cow Light French Onion cheese, and honey mustard, all on a whole wheat sandwich thin. I feel like it had been SO long since I had a sandwich like that and it really hit the spot.

IMG_1914

On the side, I had some baby carrots and guacamole hummus…somewhat of an odd combo, but I just love that guac.

Shortly after lunch I still wanted a little something else, so I dug in to the container of strawberries that I packed up.

IMG_1918

I almost forgot to snap a photo of them, but there was definitely at least 4x that amount there. They’re actually starting to taste pretty darn good right now!

And then, there was little chocolate too. ;)

IMG_1919

I never wound up having time for (or needing) an afternoon snack, but by the time I got home from work I was more than ready for dinner.

Dinner

This meal was actually eaten in the car on the way to the movie theater, since we had to leave pretty quickly after work. But it was no big deal…I had Jay to drive so I could chow down.

IMG_1921

My dinner-on-the-fly of choice was a whole wheat bagel topped with peanut butter and jelly. It. Was. So. Good.

Movie Snacks

So as I mentioned yesterday (and about three lines up) Jay and I headed out to the movies last night to see The Place Beyond the Pines. The theater we went to actually has $6.00 movie nights on Tuesdays AND $1.00 popcorn, so that helped keep things nice and cheap. Of course, when there’s $1.00 popcorn, you can’t really pass that up, can you?

IMG_1922

No, you can’t. So we got that to share, AND I also wound up with a huge hankering for some sort of chewy, fruity candy, so we got a box of Mike & Ike’s to share.

As for the movie? Definitely interesting and TOTALLY not what any of us were expecting. In a way, it almost sort of felt like we were watching three separate movies back to back, because certain parts of the story seemed to end quite abruptly, and would then move on to something different.

But overall, it was certainly an intriguing movie and it was pretty cool to see so many local landmarks on the big screen. It was funny to listen to the theater because anytime a certain building/street/location would come up, people would start whispering, “Oh, that’s so and so!” And there’s actually a diner that’s in quite a few scenes of the movie, which Jay and I wound up passing on our way home.

Have a great Wednesday, everyone!

1 Avery @ SBLW April 17, 2013 at 9:03 am

Guac hummus? Never thought of that before! Yum!

2 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats April 17, 2013 at 9:06 am

I want to see that movie! And basically any movie with Ryan Gosling haha I will have to check it out. That iced coffee looks incredible. Good eats!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Back in the racing mood

3 Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire April 17, 2013 at 9:07 am

I used to eat that dinner all.the.time in college when I had two internships and would literally fly through my apartment out the door. So good! Now you’ve got me interested in that movie…maybe I’ll go this weekend!
Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire recently posted..Boston.

4 Natalie @ Free Range Human April 17, 2013 at 9:09 am

Watching a movie shot somewhere that you’re familiar with is so cool! The movie Twister was shot in Oklahoma and it was fun to hear them mentioned places that I recognized.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..We Have This Hope

5 Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty April 17, 2013 at 9:11 am

I had a hankering for pb toast for dinner last night which was completely outside of my usual dinner routine. My body was craving it though, so that’s what it got and it tasted great as always!
Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty recently posted..Prayers for Boston

6 Andrea @ Andrea out loud! April 17, 2013 at 9:11 am

maaaaan I havent been to the movies in EONS. like maybe a year, how crazy!
The cast in that movie does seem awesome… mmm the Goz….
Andrea @ Andrea out loud! recently posted..An Awesome Guest Post For You! [A Weight Loss Story]

7 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige April 17, 2013 at 9:12 am

Aw, glad you’re feeling better today, Courtney!
Gosh, it’s been forever since I’ve been to a movie theatre.
Paige @ Your Trainer Paige recently posted..I Regret Posting That

8 Ashley @ Life and Fitness April 17, 2013 at 9:14 am

I don’t think I could pass up $1 popcorn either! I’m more of a raisinets candy fan, well anything chocolate :)
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..WIAW-Pancake Love

9 Lisa April 17, 2013 at 9:14 am

Those reese’s eggs used to be my all time favorites!
Glad you’re feeling better today! Hopefully it keeps on getting better as the day goes on too.
I can’t even remember the last time I went to a movie! SO long.
Lisa recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

10 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes April 17, 2013 at 9:26 am

I hope you get some extra rest today! Very cool about the movie! Glad yall had fun :-)
Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..Hood rat sandwiches: the recipe.

11 Erin @Axell's Kitchen April 17, 2013 at 9:34 am

That dinner actually sounds kinds great!
Erin @Axell’s Kitchen recently posted..Workout Mix and Taco Pie

12 Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! April 17, 2013 at 9:35 am

Oh, how I love PB and Jelly! I could eat it every day!!! That guac hummus does look amazing. Anything with avocado is a winner in my book!
Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! recently posted..Aggie Football and Spring Eats

13 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 17, 2013 at 9:39 am

I’ve been seriously loving on the nut butter and jam sandwiches lately too. I think I had them for lunch for like a week straight and, oh man… so good. And I can totally relate to just needing something soft, fruity, and chewy. I’d even go as far as to say that I prefer fruity candies to chocolate.
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... WIAW … playing catch up .

14 Ashlee@HisnHers April 17, 2013 at 9:41 am

Looks like a fun movie night! It’s always fun to do something like that in the middle of the week!
Ashlee@HisnHers recently posted..2.62 for Boston Tabata Run + Softball Season

15 Jenny April 17, 2013 at 9:46 am

My favorite go to meal is PB&J on a toasted bagel! I could eat it every day. And I can’t help but giggle a bit at your hormones. I can relate so well! I was such a hormonal mess during and a tad bit after having Kenzer. I never knew what a “happy sobbing” was until I was preggo and right after having her! :-)
Jenny recently posted..WIAW – Breakfast {100th Post GIVEAWAY!}

16 Emily @ The Good Era April 17, 2013 at 9:48 am

A Movie without popcorn just seems wrong! That’s how it was seeing Th Dark Knight Rises in Pittsburgh. As soon as they showed Heinz Field, the entire theater went crazy clapping and cheering….only in the burgh ;) It’s so fun though to watch movies that were filmed in your city!
Emily @ The Good Era recently posted..Four Years Ago

17 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie April 17, 2013 at 9:55 am

So cool that you recognize so many things in the movie, I feel like that always makes me like a movie more :)
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..My Weekend in Indy

18 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health April 17, 2013 at 10:00 am

I have wanted to see that movie but now I’m not sure based on your review! Do you think it was worth a trip to theater (separate from the home town relation) or is it more of a rental?
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Hiking Sunol

19 Courtney April 18, 2013 at 9:29 am

Tough call, but I think I’d say to make it a rental.

20 Lauren April 17, 2013 at 10:06 am

I definitely would have brought the bagel into the theater and ate it in there instead of the car. Haha! I always fill my purse with my own food for movies – specifically the Bulk Section of Wegmans which has a nice selection of EVERYTHING. I’m glad you had a great time aside from the hormonal rush on the way home. I hope you have a great day!
Lauren recently posted..Take #5…

21 Courtney April 18, 2013 at 9:28 am

But thennnnn it wouldn’t have been all warm and melty if I waited to eat it at the theater ;)

22 Leigha April 17, 2013 at 10:11 am

Its so funny to look back on things. They seemed like such a big deal but they weren’t! How neat that the movie was filmed so close to you. sometimes easy simple meals are just as good as time consuming ones!

23 Taylor April 17, 2013 at 10:12 am

I wanted to see that movie, definitely sounded intriguing. Would you recommend seeing it in theaters or just waiting to rent?

24 Courtney April 18, 2013 at 9:28 am

I think I’d say to wait for a rental…but that’s just my take!

25 Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns April 17, 2013 at 10:15 am

I haven’t heard of that movie! Butif it was one of those ones that you never expected the ending, I think I need to go see it :) MMMmmmm it’s been so long since I’ve had a bagel, yours just looks too good!
Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns recently posted..I.Am.Done

26 Sara @ fitcupcaker April 17, 2013 at 10:28 am

I LOVE movie nights :) ANd I love your lunch combo, nothing weird about it at all :) Ive seen so many bread and muffin recipes that I might be doing some baking tomorrow!
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..WIAW- A Special Ceremony And Strawberry Mango Salsa

27 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles April 17, 2013 at 10:36 am

Definitely can’t go wrong with $1 popcorn! It reminds me that I haven’t been to see a movie in ages.

28 Shel@PeachyPalate April 17, 2013 at 10:42 am

Awh I hope the hormones have eased! I swear by used warmed tea bags for puffy eyes – sit back in the office with some on at lunch time!
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..Banana-erific Birthday week!

29 Emily April 17, 2013 at 10:43 am

The hubs and I saw that movie on Saturday! I said the same thing you did – totally not what we were expecting. A bit dark, in my opinion, but still entertaining. For those who asked, I would say it’s a good rental, not crucial to see in theaters.

30 Courtney April 18, 2013 at 9:27 am

Yes, definitely darker than I expected. I agree…probably a good rental

31 Koryn @ High Heels & Healthy Alternatives April 17, 2013 at 10:52 am

Hmmm…that movie does sound interesting! I’m with a few others – do you think its worth seeing in the theater or wait for the rental? Glad you guys had a great time & hopefully you can get some more rest soon. :)
Koryn @ High Heels & Healthy Alternatives recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #7 – It’s a New Day

32 Koryn @ High Heels & Healthy Alternatives April 17, 2013 at 10:54 am

*I’m not literally with a few others… just agree with the movie question. I re-read my reply and thought “boy, that does Not sound right.” Lol!

33 Courtney April 18, 2013 at 9:27 am

LOL :)

34 Courtney April 18, 2013 at 9:27 am

Hmmm…I’d maybe say wait for a rental? It was good, but I’m not sure I would have been as interested had it not been shot in a nearby town.

35 Brittany @ DulceVie April 17, 2013 at 11:07 am

I have never heard of that movie! Ooooh and I looove Mike & Ikes
Brittany @ DulceVie recently posted..Green Machine Smoothie

36 Linz @ Itz Linz April 17, 2013 at 11:07 am

movie popcorn mmm! now that’s the real deal, baby!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Throw It All In

37 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl April 17, 2013 at 11:08 am

Sounds like a really interesting movie….I’ll have to check it out. I agree with you, the strawberries are getting really tasty!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..What I Wednesday

38 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat April 17, 2013 at 11:11 am

Your lunch sounds tasty! Sometimes a good sandwich really hits the spot! And guac is always the best!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Yay for Chocolate

39 Nicole @ FruitnFitness April 17, 2013 at 11:22 am

Guac hummus? Is that something that you made or did you buy it? It sounds really good! I love popcorn but almost never get it at the movies because its so expensive, $1 popcorn sounds great!
Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted..WIAW # 14

40 Courtney April 18, 2013 at 9:26 am

I bought it – it’s from Trader Joe’s. SO good!!

41 Angela @ Health's Angel April 17, 2013 at 12:06 pm

I bought that guacahummus at TJs once and did not care for it at all. And it went bad in my fridge after a couple of days. Oh well. You win some, you lose some.
But you can’t go wrong with PB&J combo…ohhh so good. PB&J Larabars are one of my favorite ways to get that fix. And now I’m craving movie snacks…
Also, I ALWAYS wake up with puffy eyes if I cried the day before. Always. And like, reallyyy bad puffy eyes too. I swear sometimes I have as many mood swings as a pregnant lady. :)

42 Mary April 17, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Our cinema has cheap night Tuesdays too! Although it’s not popcorn I can’t resist, but the Ben & Jerry’s counter…For $1 though, I could have been swayed…!
Mary recently posted..A stressful and sad first day of Summer term

43 Courtney April 18, 2013 at 9:26 am

A Ben & Jerry’s counter?!?!?! OMG that sounds incredible…

44 Annette@FitnessPerks April 17, 2013 at 12:49 pm

That sandwich (sandwich thin one) looks sooooo good! I love laughing cow with some turkey & ‘fixins’. Maybe I’ll have that for lunch?!

We enjoy movies at the dollar theatre near our house–it’s nice b/c it’s cheap (obv), but the movies come there later–as long as you’ve got patience, its uber worth it!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..You Just Have to Start

45 Krystan April 17, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Just wanted to let you know, I feel you on the pregnancy hormones. I have been fairly even keel throughout (im at 28 weeks now) and I credit a steady workout routine for that. But the couple of weeks I will start crying about things that even in the moment, I’m like this is not that big of a deal! It’s not even like im getting mad about things (case in point, I have to do a project on video and don’t own a video camera, so I preceded to cry for about twenty minutes about it, poor husband!) I’ve heard the hormones can be quite bad in the third trimester! I guess I should say good luck to your hubs and mine! lol

46 Courtney April 18, 2013 at 9:25 am

Hahaha…thanks, Krystan!

47 Ellie@Fit for the Soul April 17, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Hehehe I’d definitely be one of those people whispering and getting excited about a location I’m familiar with. :P And dannnng that’s so much yummy food, Courtney! It’s great to see that you’re eating wholesome food yet giving yourself leeway in terms of your cravings and all.
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..What Is There to Say?

48 lindsay @ fuel my family April 17, 2013 at 2:36 pm

love guac hummus and carrots, not weird at all!

49 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 17, 2013 at 2:37 pm

ONE DOLLAR POPCORN!?!? Now that is unheard of! I’d totally go for that!

50 Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers April 17, 2013 at 2:56 pm

I’ve been loving on guac too lately. Aaaaand now I think I might have to love on that dinner too. Gotta’ love a quick, no-cook meal now and again.
Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers recently posted..Wimpy WIAW

51 Becky April 17, 2013 at 3:29 pm

I don’t care how old you are, peanut butter and jelly never gets old! For me, I really like peanut butter and banana sandwiches though. :)

52 Courtney April 18, 2013 at 9:25 am

Amen to THAT!

53 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 17, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I looove that guac hummus and using carrots as a dipper is a great idea!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Thoughts and Prayers

54 Olivia @ Liv Lives Life April 17, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I really want to see that movie! I’ve heard the same thing (about it having lots of different plots) but it’s good to hear that you liked it!
Olivia @ Liv Lives Life recently posted..WIAW + Brownie Batter Pancakes

55 Yaara Leve April 17, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Man that bagel pb and j looks to die for. I hope you’re feeling better. I get ultra weepy too on many days-and I’m not ever preggo. I blame it on the fact that I’m a girl or just extra sensitive. :) ooh and that salty/ sweet/ chewy combo sounds fab.

56 Suzanne @ Mixing It Up April 17, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Mike & Ike’s along with Twizzlers are my go to movie theater candy!!! And yeah…..your dinner last night, that looks so very good to me right now!! My hubby is playing in a golf tournament tonight so maybe I will just whip myself up something similar!!
Suzanne @ Mixing It Up recently posted..WIAW: Dinner is My Favorite Meal of the Day

57 Jentry Nielsen April 17, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Oh I can’t ever pass up movie theater popcorn! SOO delicious! ha I love when you watch a movie and it’s from your town or area, it makes you feel more involved haha
Jentry Nielsen recently posted..Our Thoughts and Prayers to Boston – And What You Can Do To Help

58 Bek @ Crave April 17, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Love a good movie deal! Haha. That apple looks so good- perfect colour ;)
Hope you get in a nap today or even an early night x
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Motivation Comes In Numbers

59 Jessica Locke April 17, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Courtney:
Sorry to hear you had an emotional night. Pregnancy hormones can get rough for sure. You also mentioned the other day some feelings/perspectives/emotions you have been experiencing and hinted that you might share them soon. Just wanted to encourage you to go easy on yourself and allow your heart to “sit” with things for a few days before you make any quick decisions. Life is full of peaks and valleys (especially when your pregnant) – remind yourself to roll with it all a bit. I have no doubt you are handling things in a splendid fashion. Whatever it is – remember if it can go well it probably will!
Thinking of you, Jessica

60 Courtney April 18, 2013 at 9:24 am

Thank you, Jessica!

61 Miranda @ Miranda Runs April 17, 2013 at 8:03 pm

PB&J is definitely one of the best food combinations ever! I totally approve of that for dinner ;) I love movie nights! They’re the best. Even better that there are local landmarks!
Miranda @ Miranda Runs recently posted..WIAW 4/17 {Turkey Mozzarella Paninis}

62 Lauren @ Sweat The Sweet Stuff April 17, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Oh the delicious simplicity of pb&j on a bagel. I haven’t had a bagel in awhile. I better pick some up! On second thought maybe I should make some? I have wanted to try and make my own for awhile so maybe it’s time I do!

63 Courtney April 18, 2013 at 9:24 am

That’s one thing I’ve never attempted…maybe I should too?! :)

64 Julie April 19, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Gooey PB & J looks amazing.