All Decked Out

Well I must say…somebody knows how to cheer on his daddy at his softball game!

Last night, Lucas and I headed down to the softball fields to watch his dad, Uncle Dan, and grandpa play…although I think out of the two of us, I was really the only one watching. Winking smile

I couldn’t help myself and decked him all out in some baseball gear for our outing, including these legwarmers that I got him a few months back. You can’t see it, but he was also wearing his baseball onesie, too. Mama wasn’t messin’ around last night! Unfortunately, the team lost, but we all still got to hang out for a while in the fresh air so it was nice.

This morning, we were up ‘n’ at ‘em nice and early. We’re still working on putting together somewhat of a schedule (I’ve been somewhat lax up until this point, but definitely have intentions of putting him on a schedule), so Lucas’s wakeup times can vary quite a bit. Today began with a 5:45am wakeup feeding, and then we hung out for about a half hour before I put him back down again to nap.

At first, he wasn’t all that crazy about his bouncer chair, but now he loves it. And honestly, if I put the Disney Junior channel on the tv, he will somehow sit and stare in that direction for at least a good 5-10 minutes. I find that super interesting, considering they can’t really see more than 12 inches away from their face (or so I read?) but he stays so content! Perhaps the sounds and bright colors are catching his attention?

Once he went down for his nap, I quickly pumped (so far it’s going okay – trying to stock up a bit now for when I go back to work mid-late October – but I still feel like I have a million questions about it all), ate some breakfast, and am now typing up this post.

Today’s breakfast of choice was two slices of whole wheat cinnamon raisin toast with peanut butter (surprise, surprise) and banana slices. But even more of an actual surprise is the fact that my morning coffee today was actually of the hot variety…

Considering I couldn’t handle hot coffee for pretty much my entire pregnancy, I wasn’t sure when the craving for it would strike again. But I had some yesterday and today, and it tasted gooooood.

Alright my friends…time to go take care of a few things before the little man wakes up. I’ll catch ya later! Smile

1. Annie says

He is so stinking cute and you’re like an old pro already! I would love to hear how the breastfeeding experience has gone so far…expecting our first in 3 weeks!

I love baby legs leg warmers. They are so cute and functional. I don’t know if you know this or not, but they make ones with sunscreen in it and they also have a pair that has bug repellent in them too. Getting babies on schedules is so hard! I have a 6 month (almost) and he is basically just starting to get there, so stay patient.

Sounds like your getting the hang of things! You’re doing much better than I was at that point, I couldn’t think straight to formulate sentences from the lack of sleep! Hope you get your little man on a schedule soon, it really does help.

I don’t have a little boy or girl, but I do have a little puppy who I deck out from time to time. Lets just say Elmo will be wearing Philly green and white come football season 😀

5. Christina says

Hey Courtney! Is that the Fisher-Price My Little Lamb Bouncer? I’m going back and forth between that and another for my registry, so any advice/recommendations on that line would be much appreciated. Lucas is absolutely adorable! :)

• Courtney says

It’s actually the monkey, but yes! It’s the Fisher Price model. I really love it and Lucas seems to enjoy it too!

Ahhh LOVE his baseball attire! Too stinkin’ adorable.

I’m not trying to be one of those annoying moms, but just had to tell you what I’ve learned re: TV… I noticed the same thing with Hunter (how much he seemed to love the TV), so I did some researching to see if it was OK because I was clueless. TV can actually be crazy stimulating for a baby’s brain (moving objects, bright colors, lights, sounds), so it’s best to avoid it as much as possible. It’s also shown to be the cause of a lot of kids to get ADHD/ADD as they get older.

OK, I look back on the paragraph, and I totally AM one of those annoying moms. Sorry. LOL. Just had to share though. 😉
    Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Going Outside of My Comfort Zone

• Kate says

Aw, I do agree that TV for babies under 1 year old can do no good!! I’ve also read that it can cause seizures if it is too much in terms of moving objects and colors. I think it is easy to fall into a trap of turning on the tv to quiet them down or calm them down but it might be more harm than good!!

Pumping in the beginning I was told to that shorter more frequent sessions were best and not to get discouraged if I wasn’t getting too much initially. Eventually I got into a pretty good routine. I found the best times for me so that I wasn’t shorting him for his next feeding was after his first session in the a.m. (milk production always seems so high in the a.m.) and then again before we went to bed so that I was comfortably empty. If he happened to take an unusually long nap here and there I would pump as well. I’ve got it down now that it takes about 10-15 minutes now. I use the medela bags that can go in the freezer and mark them with his name, date, time and ounces. I stressed myself out worrying about having enough pumped as a stockpile before going to work, but I found once I started back up at work I got in the schedule that whatever I pumped at work (9am, 12pm, & 3pm) and again that evening is what I dropped off at daycare for the next day. For right now at 12 weeks of age it seems he only needed four pouches for the day, give or take. I of course left a few of the frozen ones with our daycare provider just in case he had a particularly hungry day. Good luck! Questions are welcomed if you ever want to bounce any at me.
    Christy recently posted..Grins N Giggles

8. Jolan says

Such a cute peanut! You know what you should get for his bouncer and car seat, (looks like he’s got some free space in the car seat)…? Baby Elephant Ears! They’re super cute, supportive and great for prevention and treatment of torticollis and plagiocephaly: I love the one I got for my little guy! He ended up in a helmet for his flat spot and I wish I’d known about the ears sooner… Their little noggins are so soft!

9. Jolan says

Oh and in regards to pumping and production, I find that lactation cookies help me, plus they’re tasty! Check out: I recommend the white chocolate cranberry flavor and butterscotch too!

Breastfeeding/pumping does get easier… well until he starts gymnurstics anyhow! Just stick with it, it’s so beneficial for both him and you, and it is such a special bonding time too. Best of luck!

10. Casey says

You’re doing a great job so far Mama! It’s definitely NOT easy. I’ve been breastfeeding and pumping at work for over a year now. So if you want to email me any questions, I would be happy to answer them for you. You obviously have my email address since I had to put it in to comment. 😉

• Courtney says

Thank you! Right now, I guess I’m just curious if the amount I’m pumping is “normal” (although I know it’s different for everyone). I’m only pumping once a day but wondering when I should/might want to start twice a day?

Haha, welcome back to the hot beverage club! :)
    Totally know what you mean about the whole pumping experience. Try not to feel too overwhelmed. Just learn as you go; by October you’ll be an old pro! KellyMom has some good information for pumping/storage, etc.
    PS- I found oats to be excellent for production (and eating a lot in general haha), as well as Fenugreek in the early stages.
    Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..Fab Five (19.08.13)

Yesss true that! Coffee is soooo gooooood….I probablyh should cut down but it’s just too hard! haha. And even though experts say they can’t see far, my daughter seems to have been able to “tell” that there’s something really far away for a while now, so I’m not sure if it’s like that all the time! 😛
    Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..2 Months

13. Nala says

Awww…Lucas is just too cute for words! He really looks like he’s enjoying Disney Junior in that bouncer! I wonder if he has a show he will soon come to like as a favorite??? Glad that you’re putting him on schedule – can’t wait to hear how that goes!

could Lucas get any cuter?! I remember when I gave up coffee for 3 months and I wasn’t sure if I would get back into it, and then when I had it for the first time, I was hooked again!
    Jamie @ fitfortherun recently posted..5 Posts

15. Shayla says

He’s sooooo cute!!! I just love his lil face :) And if you have any questions about a schedule you can always text me 😉 I will say that exact times in regards to a schedule is too soon for Lucas…but he would definitely thrive off of a routine/pattern like eat, play, sleep. Julian didn’t have exact day-to-day times of when he did things until he was about 3 months old…once he hit that age I could count on him day-to-day eating at 4am, 8am, 12pm, 4pm, and 8pm – going to bed at 9pm, waking up for the day at 7:30-8am, napping at 10am, 2pm, and 6pm, etc. :)

Getting babies on a routine makes life so much easier. I mean, there are always variables that pop up and throw things off, but it’s easy to get back on track. How come you are returning to work so soon? I couldn’t imagine going back so early. I go back to work next month after taking a full 1 year maternity leave and it breaks my heart that I won’t get to spend all day with my little goober.

If you have any questions on pumping, I exclusively pumped for 9 months so I might be able to help you out a little.

Good luck mama! <3
    Becky @ recently posted..Hippy For Life

17. Regan says

My best advice…don’t worry about a schedule yet…let it happen…. Do a bedtime routine….even if its an hour off night to night…do it whoever the last feeding falls….we eat…change diaper…wash book…lay in crib and say prayer then give kisses…just an example….. Schedule wise…eat play sleep…I would let my little lady sleep one nap a day on me….. We didn’t get in a true time to time consistent routine til 10 to 12 weeks…..they need momma milk…when they want it…as long as you’re not letting him snack…. Also….my suggestion to build a stock….pump in the morning…after you’ve fed his first morning feeding…you’ll get a stock!!… What a cutie….u seem to be doing a rock star job as a Momma!