Weekend Highlights {1/20}

Hey guys! Happy Monday! What’s new and exciting? Everyone have a good weekend? Unfortunately, mine wasn’t the greatest since that stomach thing I mentioned on Friday decided to stick around with me for most of it. I never got physically sick, but man did I feel awful. Super nauseous, no energy, just overall blah feeling. The only thing that sounded even slightly appetizing to eat was carbs with butter, which is literally all I ate on Friday…

• Breakfast: Toast with butter
  • Lunch: English muffin with butter
  • Snack: Graham crackers (no butter, but a little peanut butter)
  • Dinner: Bagel toasted with butter

Fun, right?

I was able to add a little more variety on Saturday, and by Sunday I was feeling almost normal. I did enjoy a few ginger ale’s during the weekend though and man, did they taste good.

Luckily, I had my two favorite boys around to keep me company. Smile

In an attempt to do something with myself on Saturday, rather than just lay on the couch some more, I decided to get started on making my first batch of baby food.

homemade sweet potato baby food

I’ve been using the Wholesome Baby Food website as a resource, and it’s totally awesome. I would highly recommend it for anyone who’s interested in making their own baby food. On Saturday I made sweet potatoes (35oz. worth out of 3 large ones!), and on Sunday I made peas and apples.

If you guys are interested in some more detail about the baby food making let me know! I’d be happy to put a post together for the Baby page. Smile

After finishing up the food for the babe, I also made a batch of No Bake Energy Bites (I used this recipe I found on Pinterest) and they turned out SO good. I’m so excited to have these to snack on during the week!

Saturday also included a fun little package I received in the mail from Van’s Natural Foods. I don’t know about you guys, but I actually never realized that they made more than just waffles (I’ve long been a fan of those!), so I was excited to see that they have more to offer.

van's products

Jay and I dug into the BBQ multigrain chips this weekend and they were GOOD.

Sunday morning, we all slept in a little bit (7:45am – WOO HOO!) and had fun hangin’ in our PJ’s.

I took care of the grocery shopping later in the morning, and also made sure I picked up all of the ingredients for us to make Kristen’s recipe for Ben’s Beef Stew. I first saw her post about it on Instagram a couple of weeks (months?) ago, and once I showed it to Jay he was alllll about making it.

beef stew

We served the stew over some mashed potatoes which were made completely by Jay (aka, “Jay’s Garlic Parm Mashed Potatoes”). When I asked him to share his recipe (because they were THAT good) this is what he told me…

Jay’s Garlic Parm Mashed Potatoes

• “3 and a baby potatoes” (haha, this is sort our little joke…we really did have 3 regular + 1 baby potato which we called the Lucas potato)
  • 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1-2 tbsp butter, softened
  • ~3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 light sour cream
  • 1/4 – 1/2 cup of milk (just add to make your desired creaminess/consistency)
  • salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste

Peel and cube potatoes into chunks. Place in pot, cover with water and a good amount of salt. Boil for ~15 minutes or until tender. Drain potatoes, throw in a bowl, add remaining ingredients and mix together with an electric mixer (or mash by hand) until you get desired consistency.

beef stew with mashed potatoes

This meal was absolutely AMAZING. Especially since the majority of my food intake all weekend basically consisted of toasted carbs. The tummy was still a little off after we finished dinner, but it was worth it.

The two of us enjoyed our dinner while we took turns feeding a certain someone his dinner, too.

lucas dinner

Ohh, how I love family dinner time.

Once Mr. Lucas went to bed (we are officially in the crib! yippeeeeee!!) Jay and I took care of making lunches for today, then relaxed on the couch and watched some football before calling it a night.

So yeah, it wasn’t the greatest weekend in terms of my health, but it still wasn’t too shabby! Smile

How was your weekend? Do anything fun? Cook or bake anything good?

Comments

Sorry to hear that you weren’t feeling all that great this weekend, girl! The flu seems to be going around a lot lately, and a lot of people I know have been battling with it. I do hope you feel better soon <3 And I can totally relate to not wanting to eat anything but dry carbs when you're sick… toast, bagels, crackers, pretzels, and dry cereal are my go-tos. That and ginger ale — that stuff is magic.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... link love 1/19 .

Glad you’re feeling better! I was sick all last week (not with a stomach bug but I was super nauseous from my flu) and while I’m not the girl to usually lose her appetite, I did a little bit….except for peanut butter. I NEVER lose my appetite for peanut butter! 😉
    Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Young Man In America

Hope you’re feeling back to 100% today! The stew looks like good comfort food when you’re feeling under the weather. I love no-bake energy bites! I’ve experimented with a few recipes and they always come out great. Speaking of experimenting, I was playing around with some double chocolate protein donuts with peanut butter “glaze” this weekend.. still tweaking the recipe a bit but man, were they good! Have a great Monday!
    Jamie @ Dishing Out Health recently posted..Banana Bread Protein Pancakes

Seriously I never want buttered bread but when that stomach bug hits it is the only thing I want! I am sorry you were not feeling well! But what a great excuse for the bread (; Jays potatoes look wonderful, I actually made my own little concoction of a sort of mash, recipe on blog tomorrow! I had plans to make these: http://ohsheglows.com/2014/01/17/banana-bread-muffin-tops/ but I literally do not know where the weekend went!
    Hayley@healthyregardshayley recently posted..Motivation Monday- Setting Intentions

Such a bummer about your tummy, but I’m glad you’re feeling better! I have fallen head over heals for Van’s. They make amazing multi-grain gluten free crackers and I have been devouring them like it’s my job.
    I made a delicious cauliflower, quinoa, and feta salad last night! Besides that, my weekend eats were pretty simple!
    Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty recently posted..Warm Cauliflower, Quinoa & Feta Salad

Family dinners are so lost today with so many electronic devices, and working hours! Whenever a chance is available it’s so nice to do it! Hope you’re feeling better!
    Jess recently posted..Sweaty Monday

I haven’t gotten sick yet this year, but my husband got the flu right after Thanksgiving and had it for almost a month! I’ve never made mashed potatoes before (been too lazy), but those sound so easy! I made a fritatta this weekend and Tyler’s off today so he’s making bbq chicken pizza while I go get my hair touched up! And baby food post please. I definitely want to make my own when/if we ever have a baby :)
    Kim recently posted..Thoughts on Miscarriage and Grieving

I’ve been making lots of yummy food lately: granola (Eat Live Run’s recent recipe), chili (Brown Eyed Baker’s) and cornbread, chicken fajitas (Taco Bell’s fajita seasoning is the bomb!), turkey kale soup, and flank steak (which is marinating for dinner tonight). I’ve been enjoying my time in the kitchen recently! Your energy bites look delicious. I don’t have flaxseed, though; do you think I could omit it or replace it with something? I have chia seeds but that’d be a lot of chia.

• Courtney says

I’m sure you could probably just omit all together? Not sure if chia seeds would work, haha, that would be a lot!

• Courtney says

YES!!! It’s amazing the difference we saw in just the first and second nights…we’re still getting there, but it’s going really well!

I always loved making baby food for the kids. So easy and so much cheaper and better for them too! Has he started feeding yet? If not, I say aim to start with green veggies. I’ve learned that if you start with sweeter things they will fight you on the greens. Or at least that was how it was with M and B – they inherited my sweet tooth for sure!

10. Karen says

Funny that you posted an IGE recipe. I always meant to comment that you should look her blog up since you both have little guys that are maybe a weekish apart and two of the cutest babies on the planet. It’s been fun following both your blogs during your pregnancies and fun times as new mommas. I hope you are feeling better!

Bummer you weren’t feeling well! There’s definitely lots of yucky stuff going around. My brother had a terrible case of the flu last week. I’m crossing my fingers I don’t get anything!

Jay’s garlic parm mashed potatoes sound wonderful! My family are huge mashed potato fans, so I’m sure they’d love them!

I had some very brown bananas left over from last week, so I baked some banana bread over the weekend. It turned out so yummy too!
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Making the BEST of Winter

12. Lauren G. says

I would be interested in the baby food post. My son will be 5 months on Saturday so we are getting close to starting baby food. We still haven’t decided on rice cereal or oatmeal. My son has that same monkey sleeper! We had a good weekend also which consisted of a birthday party, buying a room darkening curtain for baby’s room, Red Lobster, watching church online, and cooking sausage, biscuits, and eggs for breakfast and oven fried chicken, mashed potatoes, mixed veggies, and sweet potato biscuits for dinner. :-)

I so need cheering up today and those Lucas pics are just the ticket!! What a cutie. Laughing at Jay calling them “baby potatoes” – that is what my mom calls them. That stew looks like something my dad would adore! I’m glad you’re feeling better; tummy stuff is no fun.
    Caitlin recently posted..If I’m Being Honest…

Good thing you’re feeling a liiiittle better now, Courtney! It’s so strange when we feel certain bodily aches for no “apparent” reason, or who knows what it is. And that meal looks amazing! Jay sounds like a great cook even though he probably doesn’t consider himself a cook officially. Have a beautiful and blessed Monday!
    Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..Scenes from the Weekend

Ya know, I had the same deal with my stomach all weekend! Instead of butter, though, I ate my weight in bagels and they were delicious. I’m still not 100% but definitely able to stomach regular food. It’s so weird how that comes on but not enough to be fully sick, just feeling it. Glad you made the most of your weekend, though! Sounds pretty marvelous :)
    Heather @fitncookies recently posted..A Calm Weekend: MIMM

16. bridget says

I would love a baby food post! And also details on Lucas’ crib transition- I’m trying to get my girl in her crib for naps and its not happening :)
    Glad you are feeling better!

Our weekend was spent with toast and butter as well and soup…but we are feeling better today!
    I have not tried making my own baby food yet but need to look into it ASAP! Would love to have you write up a post so I can learn more about how to do it.
    Awww…so cute that Lucas is joining you guys for meals now : )
    Jenn@Mark My Mile! recently posted..Training Talk Tuesdays #2