The IDEA World Fitness Convention – Day 1

by Courtney on August 18, 2014

I am happy to report that my trip to the IDEA World Fitness Convention in Anaheim California, albeit a short one, was a success! Smooth travel, fun events, and time spent catching up with old blog friends all made the time away that much more enjoyable.

Before I go any further though, I need to give a big shout out to Propel, to thank them for sponsoring me to attend this year’s conference. As you may remember, I mentioned briefly that the reason for my attending was so I could shadow a fitness professional and get to pick their brain a bit about anything and everything.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the event, the IDEA World Fitness Convention is an absolutely enormous conference for fitness professionals. It incorporates a number of amazing opportunities in the fitness industry, “including the highest-quality education, the most well respected experts in the field, and all the latest programs, products and equipment to keep you one step ahead of the game” (taken from their site).

This year, the conference also added a new sub-division of the event known as BlogFest, which was a 2-day conference focused more on…you guessed it…blogging.

Since my time there was short and did include some pre-planned events, I wasn’t able to see or experience nearly as much as I would have liked to. But that’s okay…there’s always next year!

So my plane landed into Anaheim shortly before 11am on Thursday, and I made my way over to the hotel via the SuperShuttle.

Ahhh, just check out those palm trees!

Once I got to the hotel, I was able to leave most of my stuff with the bell hop (check in wasn’t until after 4pm…blahhh) and headed over to the expo so I could meet up with some blog buddies.

(picture credit to Heather!)

The expo is absolutely huge, and unfortunately, I was only able to get over to it once so I didn’t get the chance to check out all of the booths. But seriously…for a fitness professional or just the average fitness enthusiast, this thing is like Christmas. So. Much. Stuff. And so many things to do!

We spent most of the day Thursday attending a couple various sessions from BlogFest, including one from the always informative Katy Widrick.

For those of you who have a blog and are in to blogging, you seriously need to check out her blog and all that she has to offer. I’ve told her on more than one occasion that I’d just like to steal her away for about three days and just talk shop. Maybe someday. Winking smile

Towards the end of the day on Thursday, we attended a fun PiYo class, taught by Chalene Johnson, which was later followed by a cocktail reception. We got to the reception a bit late, but we still had plenty of time to hit up the open bar and visit a few of the sponsor booths (shout outs to Propel, Reebok, Subway, Oikos, Under Armour, and Merrithew!) where I got the chance to meet THE Jared from all the Subway commercials.

Oh, and we most definitely hit up the Propel photo booth. I mean, you can never go wrong with a photo booth. I think that has been proven through various blog events.

IMG_7579IMG_7581

IMG_7637MonicaJulie, Me Katy, Heather, and Gina

After the cocktail reception, Propel had organized a fun dinner party over at The Ranch for all of the Propel ambassadors and a guest, and I was so excited to be able to bring along my blogging twin as my date.

We know we aren’t really twins…the saying just goes back quite a bit!

The food at The Ranch was absolutely delicious. Soup, Salmon, Chocolate Cake.

IMG_7586IMG_7591IMG_7593IMG_7595

Oh, and there was wine. Which was also mighty yummy as well.

Seeing as I had been up since about 4am EST, and we didn’t get back to the hotel until after 11pm PST (2am EST) I was freakin’ wiped and crashed into my hotel bed hard as soon as we got back. I’m way too old to be up for 20 hours at a time…

So that pretty much sums up Thursday! Friday included a few more fun events, so I’ll get to that in my next post because I ran out of time before having to get ready for work!

How was everyone’s weekend?

What did you do? Where did you go? Who did you see? Smile

*Oh yes, and a big thanks to all of your kind words on the bathroom remodel! Some of you had asked about some of what we used, and I’ve updated the post with some info for you guys.

1 Brynn August 18, 2014 at 7:16 am

I had to back out at the last minute because I’m due in a few weeks and my dr wouldn’t let me fly. I am so bumbed I missed the conference- it looks like a lot of fun! Maybe next year.

2 Stephanie @FoodFit4Real August 18, 2014 at 8:24 am

I really wanted to attend BlogFest and IDEA this year but I could not fit it in with my work schedule. But I agree about Katy, she always has great presentations and blog advice. Her presentation at Fitbloggin was my favorite of the entire conference! I am also too old to be up for 20 hours in a row, but glad you had fun.

3 Stephanie @FoodFit4Real August 18, 2014 at 8:25 am

I really wanted to attend BlogFest and IDEA but could not manage it with my work schedule. I agree, Katy always has excellent blogging advice. Her media kit presentation at Fitbloggin was my favorite of the entire conference! Glad you had a good time, and I am with you on being too old to stay up for 20 hours.
Stephanie @FoodFit4Real recently posted..I Finally Joined a Running Group

4 Shel@PeachyPalate August 18, 2014 at 8:38 am

Looks like you had a fun time! Nice to get away and meet with your blogging buddies! Love the maxi!

5 Heather @ Housewife Glamour August 18, 2014 at 8:58 am

I’m SO glad I got to meet you! Loved IDEA and getting to spend some quality time with you girls. Hope to see you sooner than later! xo
Heather @ Housewife Glamour recently posted..IDEA BlogFest 2014: Day One

6 Kim @FITsique August 18, 2014 at 9:07 am

Looks like a whirlwind of a weekend! I love conferences and especially the Expos except they can sometimes get overwhelming when they are SO big! Glad you had a great trip!
Kim @FITsique recently posted..What to do When You Don’t Have Time to Exercise

7 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige August 18, 2014 at 9:14 am

Wahhh this looks awesome! I subscribe to IDEAfit, and there’s so much to learn and be inspired by at this conference. I feel like I’d come back to all my clients as an entirely new trainer if I went! Next year maybe :)
Paige @ Your Trainer Paige recently posted..How to Be a Happy Camper in 5 Easy Steps: Camping at Mammoth Gulch (+ My Weekly Workouts)

8 Courtney August 20, 2014 at 10:30 am

Yes I think you would definitely love it!

9 Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves August 18, 2014 at 9:29 am

Sounds like an absolute blast! I would totally love to go to the IDEA convention one day.
This weekend involved some house remodeling for us as well! We painted the walls all day yesterday and now we’re gonna rip out the carpets for some brand-spankin’-new wood floors!
Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted..House Project Weekend

10 Jenny August 18, 2014 at 10:27 am

Looks like it was an amazing time!!
Jenny recently posted..MIMM – The perfect amount of work and play

11 Ashley @ A Lady Goes West August 18, 2014 at 11:15 am

I really wanted to go to both the blog portion and fitness portion. As a trainer and group fitness instructor, it would definitely have been Christmas for me, but I couldn’t make it. It’s so neat how all of the bloggers that I read regularly know each other and attend the same events. Talk about a community. I sure hope to go next year. Thanks for sharing the first part of your recap, I look forward to the rest.
Ashley @ A Lady Goes West recently posted..My weekly workouts and trying new things

12 April @ Simply Sweet Living August 18, 2014 at 11:35 am

That looks like so much fun! I’m not a fitness professional or anything but I love to learn about fitness and health so much. I saw on twitter Tara Stiles was there! Did you get to do some yoga with her? Her stuff has changed my fitness routine so much! Glad you had fun! :)
April @ Simply Sweet Living recently posted..1 Week Sugar Detox Update

13 Courtney August 20, 2014 at 9:55 am

No, and I’m so bummed about it!! I had other things going on during her session so I missed out. I heard she was amazing though!! What stuff of hers do you do?

14 April @ Simply Sweet Living August 20, 2014 at 11:07 am

awwww bummer :( I’ve downloaded 2 of her videos off her website. A 15 minute wake up workout and her Strala Core workout that’s 30 minutes. Oh my goodness! That core one will set you on fire! At least it did me! Ha! The core one actually works your shoulders and arms really good too. Lots of planks and side planks. I do a lot of her You Tube videos for relaxation and good sleep as well. I didn’t know yoga could be so calming and that I could actually do it ;)
April @ Simply Sweet Living recently posted..Story Of Marriage Release!

15 Fiona August 18, 2014 at 11:50 am

Oh man even attending as a blog follower this would have been amazing!!! Looks like you had a great time! I love reading the recaps and seeing all the bloggers I follow, run into each other!!! Can’t wait for more!

16 Courtney August 20, 2014 at 9:54 am

Thanks, Fiona!

17 Britt@MyOwnBalance August 18, 2014 at 12:05 pm

I loved IDEA and Blogfest! It was such a great time. Looks like you really made the most of it!
Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted..The Best Places to Eat on Cape Cod

18 Courtney August 20, 2014 at 9:53 am

I tried my best! It would have been nice to have an extra day or two – maybe next time :)

19 Candice@Hungrymotherunner August 18, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Idea looks amazing! I am putting it on my agenda for sure next year!! I really wanted to go this year but didn’t want to be 8 months pregnant through the event.. NEXT YEAR!
Ps your bathroom remodel is amazing! We just finished our kitchen and I love it! SO nice… once its finished!
Candice@Hungrymotherunner recently posted..FlapJacked Protein Pancakes

20 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 18, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Ahh it looks like so much fun! I’m not a fitness professional by any means, but just as a general enthusiast it would be awesome to go.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..This is What Dieting Does To Your Body.

21 Courtney August 20, 2014 at 9:53 am

Yes, you absolutely could!!

22 kristin @ W [H] A T C H August 18, 2014 at 1:06 pm

what a fun weekend!
kristin @ W [H] A T C H recently posted..MONDAY: ANTI BAD VIBE SHIELD

23 Mandy - toneupgirl August 18, 2014 at 1:15 pm

I LOVE PiYo. I’m in week 5 of it! It’s great! Hope you enjoyed the workout!

24 Courtney August 20, 2014 at 9:52 am

That’s awesome! I’d love to try it some more, since I think the class we took wasn’t the typical experience. How long did it take you to find your groove with it?

25 Mandy - toneupgirl August 22, 2014 at 5:28 pm

It took me about two weeks to really get into it. If you follow the schedule that’s provided, the first two weeks are also the easiest with only define lower body, define upper body and sweat. You can really feel your body working in buns, strength intervals, core, sculpt and drench. I just did hardcore on the floor and I don’t think I’ll be able to walk up the stairs :) It’s a great workout! I would recommend it! How are you liking T25? I did the 21 day fix and now PiYo so was thinking about that next. Also purchased Brazilian Butt Lift because it was on sale this month (actually, I bought it because of the funny name) :)

26 Courtney August 24, 2014 at 7:26 pm

That sounds awesome! I may have to look into that once I finished T25…which yes, I’m really enjoying!! Happy to be incorporating some weights in the beta phase. By about the 5th week of alpha, I was getting a bit bored!

27 Mandy - toneupgirl August 25, 2014 at 11:28 pm

You will LOVE PiYo!!! I’ve already lost 1.8 pounds and 6 inches off of mybody in 5 weeks. that’s on top of the 8 pounds and 10 inches I lost doing the 21 day fix plan. It’s great. I’ve been following your blog for a few years now and you’re family is adorable!! i have 2 daughters myself. a 4 year old and an almost 9 month old. i’ve been using your sons monthly posts to remind myself what i should be feeding my youngest daughter.:) you forget after the first one. I’m sure you have a Beachbody coach already but if you don’t, i would love to be yours. if you do, best of luck with Piyo, you will LOVE it!!

28 Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment August 18, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Looks like an amazing day! Can’t wait to hear more. Austin has been crazy hot so I have been keeping my activities indoors as much as possible!
Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment recently posted..Defying Gravity

29 haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine.com August 18, 2014 at 2:18 pm

love it! it looks like a blast! and ohhh the food!

30 Marielle August 18, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Blog fest was a blast! bummed I didn’t get a chance to say hi to you, but maybe next year!!
Marielle recently posted..Getting Back On Track

31 Courtney August 20, 2014 at 9:47 am

Awww man!! Total bummer! But yes, maybe next year! :)

32 Allison August 18, 2014 at 8:20 pm

This looks like such a blast. You are making me want to go next year!
Allison recently posted..Weekend Wrap-Up

33 Noelle August 18, 2014 at 9:42 pm

What did you think of PiYo? I’ve been considering getting it!

34 Courtney August 20, 2014 at 9:26 am

It was good! I think I’d like to try it again though, in a class that isn’t an introductory class like that one was because she kept stopping quite a few times to either talk or explain the moves. But I was intrigued enough to want to give it another shot!

35 Nicole @ Squash on Squash August 18, 2014 at 9:46 pm

This sounds like so much fun! Seems like all they were missing was a foodie convention at the same time!
Nicole @ Squash on Squash recently posted..First Vitamix Experience

36 gina (fitnessista) August 19, 2014 at 12:33 am

had so much fun hanging out this weekend! i can’t believe it’s been years since i saw your lovely face :) hopefully we’ll be able to get together again soon!
xoxoxo
gina (fitnessista) recently posted..IDEA 2014: What I learned

37 Courtney August 20, 2014 at 9:25 am

Oh my gosh, I know right?! Such a blast! Thanks for sharing wine with me…let’s do it again SOON. :) xoxo

38 Alicia - NeverEverBeenSkinny August 19, 2014 at 12:52 am

It was amazing to see you in person! Thanks again for not minding me fan girling out! Glad to see that you had fun!
Alicia – NeverEverBeenSkinny recently posted..Day 1 of #BlogFest

39 Courtney August 20, 2014 at 9:24 am

Aww, thanks Alicia! It was definitely great getting to meet you as well! Thanks so much for chatting with me :)

40 Jenn@Mark My Miles! August 21, 2014 at 6:00 am

How fun!!! I would love to attend an event like that!
Jenn@Mark My Miles! recently posted..Paris Hilton + Stroller Warriors

41 Grace August 24, 2014 at 1:38 pm

I love your maxi dress!! Do you mind sharing where you found it? Great post!!

42 Courtney August 24, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Thank you! I actually found it at Charming Charlie’s!