One more month until a year old. Hold me.
Weight & Height: According to our (very) unofficial measurements, Lucas weighs about 23lbs and about 30 inches.
Eating: Lucas continues to eat like a horse. His grandparents especially get a kick out of watching him eat because he really can put on quite a show…usually when he’s double fisting and smashing food into his face because he’s going too quick to get it into his mouth…
I’m sure we must have introduced some more new foods this month in addition to those he’s already been eating, but I’ve really stopped keeping track. He’ll eat basically anything; including, but not limited to, cat food, sand, soap, and most other inedible objects he can find.
Lucas dropped his second afternoon nursing session this month (the one I’d typically do with him when I got home from work). He really just stopped showing interest, so I figured I’d just try dropping it and see how he did. He never batted an eye, and we never looked back. This month (actually, on the day he turned 11 months) I also stopped pumping at work. I got to the point where I was just done with packing up that pump. I still have some breastmilk stored in the freezer, so we’ll be using that, in addition to formula up until he turns a year. So at this point, he nurses in the morning, takes one bottle at daycare, one bottle at bedtime, and I pump once before bed. I’m still trying to figure out how I’m going to transition away from pumping/nursing (my goal was originally to make it to 6 months), then to a year, since I plan on doing that right around a year old for him. We’ll see how that goes.
Sleeping (naps): Naps are still fairly consistent, and he’s still napping really well on the weekends, too. We’re still at two naps, usually between 9:30-10am and 2:30-3:30pm (depends on when he last woke up) and each one lasts about an hour and a half to 2 hours (although sometimes 2-1/2 hours on the weekends). Occasionally, he’ll wind up throwing out all of his loveys/blankies and then realize he wants them back, so we need to do a quick retrieval. Silly boy.
Sleeping (at night): Still doing great! Lucas sleeps through the night, going down between 7:30–8pm and usually wakes up around 7:00am, but sometimes closer to 7:30am on weekends(!).
Clothing: All 12 month clothing over here now, size 3 shoes, and size 4 diapers.
New this month:
- Walking EVERYWHERE. Seriously, there’s no stopping him now. He is on the move all day, every day. If he wants to get somewhere super quick, he’ll still crawl to get there, but he’s picking up his pace rather quickly, so…
- New teeth! He got his first one last month, and since then we have two on the bottom, one poking through on the top, and another one on the top right under the surface. His pediatrician warned us that they’d probably come quickly since they “bloomed” so late!
- Waving with his full arm. Last month, Lucas was mostly doing the backwards hand wave, but now he’s really good at doing the wave from the elbow. He’s also pretty good at waving when we say things like, “Can you wave?” “Say hello!” or “Wave bye bye!”
- He’s got a few new sounds but, just like last month, I can’t quite figure out how to portray in text. Still no “mama’s,” but I’ll occasionally get a “bapa” when I ask for a mama, so I just keep telling myself he’s trying. Either that, or he’s just holding out for until he can say, “I love you, mama.”
- Shaking his head yes and no when we say one or the other.
Nicknames: Bubs, Bubba, Mister, Mister Man, bulldozer
- Walking and being on the MOVE!
- All. of. the. food.
- Reading books – current favorites are “Jungle King” and “Guess Who, Mickey?”
- His teddy (a lovey he sleeps with)
- Mickey Mouse
- Theme songs to any cartoon or commercial
- Emptying bins and baskets
- Playing at his water table
- Elements of surprise – he loves when we play peek-a-boo around the corner and jump out at him. The video below is from when we were in Wildwood last week and it is easily my favorite video of him to date. I think you’ll see why…
- Getting his face and hands wiped after eating
- Getting ready for bedtime, but only when he has to lay down on his changing table
- When mommy leaves the room too suddenly
- Not being able to move 1,000 miles a minute
Happy 11 months to you, my sweet little man. You light up my life more than you’ll ever know. <3