“Feel The Burn” Circuit Workout

by Courtney on March 1, 2012

While I was at work on Monday, I ended up having some time in my day to put together a fun little circuit workout. Three days later, my quads, butt, and biceps are STILL feeling this workout. It’s a doozy…but in a good way!

feel the burn full body circuit
Pin It

When making weight selections, choose a weight that has you exhausted by your last rep. If you can do all 15 reps with no problem, it’s time to step it up a notch!

And since I know you guys really liked having the exercises photos as a reference last time, here is a rundown of the movements you see above.

*****

Squats w/ Overhead Shoulder Press – Lower into squat position, and as you raise back up, press dumbbells overhead.

Front Lunge w/ Bent-Armed Lateral Raise – similar to the photo below, but keep your arms bent at 90 degrees. Lunge leg forward, raise dumbbells to sides, lower, and return leg to start position.

Plié Squats w/ Front Shoulder Raise – performed like this, but with a set of dumbbells

Back Lunge w/ Bicep Curls – Step one leg back into a lunge, curl dumbbell, lower, and return leg to start position.

Diamond Pushups – same movement as a regular pushup but with hands in a diamond shape

Static Lunges w/ Hammer Curls – Stand in a split stance with one foot forward and one leg back. Bend knees and lower body down until the back knee is a few inches from the floor. Curl dumbbells with palms facing inward. Push back up, without moving feet; finish all reps before switching sides.

One-Armed Bent Over Dumbbell Rows – Place one knee and opposite hand on a bench, with back parallel to floor. Opposite leg is on the ground and other hand is hanging straight down holding dumbbell. Lift dumbbell straight up to torso level, lower weight back to starting position; finish all reps before switching sides.

Have fun with this one! Smile

*As always, be sure to consult your physician before starting any exercise program if you have any existing medical conditions.*

1 Khushboo March 1, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Have you tried Good Mornings? My hamstrings are still burning from doing them on Tuesday! Quick q- are regular lunges more effective than static lunges-I find the latter easier!
Khushboo recently posted..Quirk it out!

2 Carrie Purchase@myhealthyaddictions March 1, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I love good mornings- I kinda forgot about them though. Maybe I will incorporate them this week!
Carrie Purchase@myhealthyaddictions recently posted..Please Pass The Salt

3 Caroline March 1, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Looks like a great workout!! I love how it’s not restricted to doing in a gym either. As long as you have some weights and space you could totally do this at home! Totally trying it sometime, thanks!! :)
Caroline recently posted..WIAW!

4 Annie March 1, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Thanks for posting some moves that combine two exercises, which I try to stick to a much as possible. As important as ST is, I can’t stand it and I’m always looking for more efficient ways to cut down time!

5 Blog is the New Black March 1, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Loving these lifting workouts lately, Courtney! I esp love these ones that work a bunch of muscles and I LOVE the pics. It’s so helpful!
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Salted Dulce De Leche Macaroons from Confessions of a Chocoholic

6 Valerie @ FreshMutz March 1, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Thanks so much for the photos, they really help. Often I am a little intimidated about trying a work-out “on paper” because I am not sure if I am doing it right.
Valerie @ FreshMutz recently posted..My First WIAW

7 Carissa March 1, 2012 at 1:13 pm

That’s a GREAT workout! I love compound moves like that!
Carissa recently posted..Seafood at Sunset with SeaBest

8 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance March 1, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Thanks for posting the photos – they’re super helpful!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Hungry? Snack on Garlic Lemon Hummus!

9 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction March 1, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Looks intense!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..In Like A Lion

10 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries March 1, 2012 at 2:04 pm

looks like another awesome one! i love how you’re incorporating new workouts into your posts lately. compound moves are my favorite! they kill two birds with one stone and get your heart pumpin’!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..It’s Already March?!

11 Liz @ Tip Top Shape March 1, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Thanks again for the exercise photos!! Looks like a great routine :D
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Rustic Apple-Almond Tart

12 Michelle@Peachy Palate March 1, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Definitely giving this a go tomorrow morning!!!!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Totally Irresistible

13 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles March 1, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Can I skip the pushups?!? ;)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Grasshopper Pie…. that is healthy!

14 Courtney March 1, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Helllll NO! ;-)
Now you have to do double for asking, mwahahaha!

15 Naomi March 1, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Thanks Courtney :)

Just wondering, have u ever done p90x or turbo fire? I downloaded both of them yesterday and i’ll probably start one of them next week (procrastinating as usual :( ).

16 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 1, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I just saw in a Fitness magazine that those diamond push-ups are like the best full-body move you can do! Great workout! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..WIAW and I love Publix.

17 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness March 1, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Looks like a tough one! I am horrible at push-ups so a diamond push-up may be out of the series for me. Appreciate the pictures and the descriptions :)
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Orange Heaven: Have a Slice of Cara Cara

18 Nicole G March 1, 2012 at 5:37 pm

HOLY CRAP….I did this workout today at lunch and I could only get through 2 circuits before my legs just about collapsed! I did the 3rd circuit but basically only did the upper body portion- I will be hurting tomorrow!

19 Michelle (Better with Berries) March 1, 2012 at 8:59 pm

LOVE moves that work bigger muscles and smaller ones all at once. Thanks for the workout, Courtney!
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..My First WIAW!

20 Leslie March 2, 2012 at 10:36 am

First off, congrats on the blog nomination, you have my vote!

Second, my half-marathon training plan for thursdays is short run + weights. My favorite day because this girl can’t get enough of strength training and I was SO EXCITED to try this out. It.Destroyed!

Thank you for posting it, my bum and thighs are so sore this morning, I’m very happy it’s a rest day, I need it!!!

21 Courtney March 2, 2012 at 10:38 am

AWESOME!! So glad you liked it! :)

22 passport status March 11, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I agreed with Leslie. Thank You!
passport status recently posted..Passport Status