Feeling The Power

by Courtney on April 16, 2012

Good morning! How’s everyone doing this morning? Hope ya’ll had a great weekend! Here’s what went on over in my neck of the woods…

I really loved everything about this weekend. No commitments, yet fun and productive. Can’t beat that, right?!?

*****

Workout

This morning kicked off the first day of the final phase of Tina’s Best Body Bootcamp (yes, I really mean it this time). Today’s workout called for 20 minutes of steady state cardio, followed by a pretty killer full body power circuit.

One of the things that I’ve really loved about this Bootcamp from Tina is how I can tell that she’s been following the same format of exercise progressions that we both learned while studying for our NASM certifications.

According to NASM, the final phase of the OPT (Optimum Performance Training) model is the power level.

source

When an individual enters into a level of power training, that means that the training will begin to emphasize the development of two things: speed + power.

The GOALS of Power Training:

• Enhance neuromuscular efficiency (ability of all parts of the body to work together)
  • Enhance prime mover strength (the muscle with the main source of power)
  • Increase power
  • Enhance speed strength

For today’s power circuit workout, I had 10 moves to complete, each for 60 seconds, with 3 sets, making for a 30 minute routine. It included a mix of compound moves, functional exercises, and cardio drills which were all quite challenging when put together…but one move that killed me, and does every.single.time I do it?

Squat Jumps

source

I’ve come across these a few times in various workout videos that I own (including good ‘ol Jillian) and they are always a killer. Pair that with the fact that the rest of the workout was challenging AND I was sore from yesterday’s yoga and woooowheeee. I was spent by the time that was done.

Once I finished that crazy shebang, I showered up at work, finished up my morning shift with a group session, and now I’m back home to figure out some breakfast. I already snacked on a Clif Z Bar and a banana pre- and post-workout, but I’m definitely in need of something else…first things first, my mug of coffee.

And then I’m thinking that a slice (or two) of this will have to be incorporated…

Oh, I’m such a tease, aren’t I? Winking smile

Happy Monday!!

Question for the Morning:

Do you have any exercises that are always a challenge, no matter how often you do them?

What would you say you’re more efficient with: speed or power?

1 CourtneyP April 16, 2012 at 9:35 am

No matter how often I do them, planks are always hard! Even after doing them for weeks and weeks, I can barely muster a full minute before I collapse on the floor! I dream of Britney Spears abs (From back in the early 2000s)!
CourtneyP recently posted..Things I Love Thursday: the "I Feel Pretty" edition

2 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride April 16, 2012 at 9:37 am

No matter how much I try or work on my arm or core strength, pull-ups are the one thing I just can’t do! And I swear it gets harder and harder each time I try!

Ohh I am so curious about that bread! It looks like pistachio and chocolate chips?!
Caitlin @ This Bride’s Joyride recently posted..10 things I learned from my duathlon

3 Michelle@PeachyPalate April 16, 2012 at 9:37 am

Zucchini Bread! My all time favourite healthy baked good! I’ve made zucchini bread cookies, oats, cooked and overnight, pancakes and a killer smoothie, totally addicted! Love starting the week of on a powerful note, looking forward to hitting the gym for a run after work! :)
Michelle@PeachyPalate recently posted..Yellow Plums

4 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries April 16, 2012 at 9:38 am

jumping lunges always kill me, no matter how often i do them! i would definitely say i’m more efficient with speed compared to power.
mmm that bread looks great! i have a feeling it’s some sort of chocolate chip zucchini bread? looking forward to the recipe!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Easy Cheesy Manicotti

5 Kristin Mac April 16, 2012 at 9:38 am

Oh I loved doing those spinning squat jumps in P90X2..so fun :p but the one exercise that ALWAYS gets me or burpees…so exhausting!
Kristin Mac recently posted..Where the heck have I been?

6 Nikki April 16, 2012 at 9:39 am

I’m a P90X grad (working on P90X2!) and Plyo is still and always will be a killer.

7 Elizabeth @ Chocolate Drops and Pearls April 16, 2012 at 9:39 am

Burpees!! I hate them! They are always so hard for me and whenever I incorporate them into a workout I cringe!
Elizabeth @ Chocolate Drops and Pearls recently posted..SURPRISE!

8 Linda April 16, 2012 at 9:40 am

I am much better at power versus speed. I hate running the stairs. OY!

9 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 16, 2012 at 9:43 am

Burpees always get me, no matter how many times I’ve done them. They’re killers!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..A British Invasion.

10 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 16, 2012 at 9:47 am

I agree that JM’s videos always kick my butt – especially “No More Trouble Zones”. Have you tried that one?
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Changing Up Breakfast

11 Courtney April 16, 2012 at 11:35 am

Yes – it’s a great one!!

12 Lindsey April 16, 2012 at 9:50 am

Speed for sure. I love sprints and actually sometimes find it easier to run faster rather than slower.
Lindsey recently posted..Sharing

13 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen April 16, 2012 at 9:50 am

Totally agree on squat jumps. Tuck jumps and pushups are also up there for me. Killer every single time!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Bok choy salad with sesame soy sauce

14 Alysia @ Slim Sanity April 16, 2012 at 9:56 am

Plyo is usually difficult for me… I can get a few with good power, but run out of breath or can’t keep up my speed. But if I were working for a piece of that bread you made this weekend, I might be able to keep it up ;)
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..don’t let it end!

15 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles April 16, 2012 at 10:01 am

Oh running will never be easy for me. I always feel like I struggle- it may have something to do with the darnd lungs but it is always hard……
I neeeeeed to know what the bread is!!! :) You are just trying to see how long we can all hold out, huh?!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Words of a With-child Woman- The one with the Trampoline Bladder

16 Courtney April 16, 2012 at 11:59 am

Tomorrow! :)

17 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers April 16, 2012 at 10:04 am

Oh Jump Squats! I hate them! My most challenging exercise is push ups! I am not good at them at all and I do them all of the time, it doesn’t get any easier.

Great post today!!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Heart Healthy Breakfast

18 Courtney April 16, 2012 at 11:34 am

Thanks, Jennifer! :)

19 Yellow Haired Girl April 16, 2012 at 10:09 am

For me, pull ups = death. It doesn’t matter how much I work on my upper body strength, those will always get me!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..A Total Write-Off

20 Courtney April 16, 2012 at 11:33 am

That comment totally made me LOL!

21 Khushboo April 16, 2012 at 10:21 am

I could run a marathon or become a bodybuilder but I’m pretty sure lunges + burpees would still kill me…hate those!

22 Tina @ Best Body Fitness April 16, 2012 at 10:39 am

I should get that recipe early for giving you a kick butt workout. :p
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..Move-It Monday: Functional Circuit for Running

23 Courtney April 16, 2012 at 11:30 am

Hahaha…tomorrow, my friend. Tomorrow! :)

24 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance April 16, 2012 at 10:40 am

Pushups! Wish I were better with them but I guess I have weak arms :/
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes

25 Nicole April 16, 2012 at 10:44 am

Not sure what that bread is, but I can’t wait to find out – it looks great!

Do you know the “how-to-prevent raisins/blueberries/other heavier ingredients-from-falling-to-the-bottom-of-the-bread/pancake/whatever you’re making-trick?” Toss them in a little bit of flour just before you mix them in with the other ingredients and they won’t all sink to the bottom when they bake! It works wonders :)

26 Courtney April 16, 2012 at 11:26 am

Yes! I actually ended up adding those in last minute, haha, so it totally slipped my mind. Next time though!

27 Cat @ Breakfast to Bed April 16, 2012 at 11:03 am

definitely speed. I tend to struggle with butt work!
Cat @ Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Does the Human Hide Shrink in 2500 Gallons of Water?

28 Sarah April 16, 2012 at 11:10 am

I’m going to guess its chocolate chip zuchinni bread? Yes, no, maybe so? :)

29 Courtney April 16, 2012 at 11:25 am

Maybe of some sort… ;)

30 Justine @ Life With Cheeseburgers April 16, 2012 at 11:12 am

I hate doing lunges, but I’ve heard it’s sometimes exercises you like doing the least that are best for your body, because of certain “weak spots” you may have. I think the big thing is just to make sure you use good form and don’t have any pain that you should be concerned about (such as in your knees or other joints).

I have found that I hate doing them less than I used to. :)
Justine @ Life With Cheeseburgers recently posted..Strawberry Protein Breakfast Souffle

31 Courtney April 16, 2012 at 11:24 am

Definitely with you on the good form – that’s always most important!

32 danielle April 16, 2012 at 11:19 am

I started taking a boot camp class and this past weekend I was introduced to squat jumps… one word for them: awful!
danielle recently posted..Baby Shower Gift

33 Brandi April 16, 2012 at 11:43 am

Burpees! Agh! They are killer. Every time. :)

34 Nicole April 16, 2012 at 11:58 am

BURPEES! They scare me. I’m just afraid that my face is going to hit the floor. I’m also pretty tall (5’10″), so I use the excuse of “it’s harder for me to get myself down and up”. Burpees….why can’t we get along?!

35 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! April 16, 2012 at 12:03 pm

squats, push ups, and burpees are always a challenge for me!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Carabba’s, New Truck, & A Sunny Anniversary

36 Danica @ It's Progression April 16, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Push-ups! They’re ALWAYS hard for me!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..the Enjoy Your Food challenge

37 Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt April 16, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Planks, no matter how often I do them they are still a challenge.
Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt recently posted..I Hiked

38 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 16, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Strength training for my legs ALWAYS kills me, especially the Live Fit program, especially Phase 3. I haven’t been able to finish it and I’m starting to think I need to start the program over again…
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Music Monday: The Lumineers // Self-Titled Album

39 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness April 16, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I know this is going to be silly…but running is always challenging for me. I always make it through, but there are few days when I feel like I could go on forever. The dreadmill…ugh!
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..6 Ways to Beat the Homesick Blues

40 Courtney April 16, 2012 at 3:14 pm

That’s not silly at all!

41 Katy April 16, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Any exercise that requires core strength is always a challenge for me. I have tried Yoga, and Pilates and every time it’s just a disaster! It probably also has something to do with my short attention span when it comes to working out. I have such a hard time focusing on my breathing and taking it slow. I tend to want to rush and get it out of the way.
Katy recently posted..Automotive Russian Roulette and a Marathon

42 Lisa April 16, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I love circuit workouts like that, they just fly by! Can’t believe its your last week of bootcamp! It must be weird going into next week not having a specific plan! The move that always gets my is jumping lunges. I can do burpees and even squats jumps, but the jumping lunges KILL me! Have a great day!
Lisa recently posted..Comparison Trap

43 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 16, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Wait a minute, I did that workout this morning and weren’t some of the moves for 30 seconds? Did I do something wrong?? lol
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Humid Polar Bear Run

44 Ashley April 16, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I absolutely love circuit style workouts which is one of the main reasons I’ve enjoyed Best Body Bootcamp so much! However – high knees, burpees, and jumping lunges always seem to get me! I don’t stop though – I get them done in the amount of time I have set out to do. I may lose power, but I do not stop!!