Feeling The Power

Good morning! How’s everyone doing this morning? Hope ya’ll had a great weekend! Here’s what went on over in my neck of the woods…

I really loved everything about this weekend. No commitments, yet fun and productive. Can’t beat that, right?!?

*****

Workout

This morning kicked off the first day of the final phase of Tina’s Best Body Bootcamp (yes, I really mean it this time). Today’s workout called for 20 minutes of steady state cardio, followed by a pretty killer full body power circuit.

One of the things that I’ve really loved about this Bootcamp from Tina is how I can tell that she’s been following the same format of exercise progressions that we both learned while studying for our NASM certifications.

According to NASM, the final phase of the OPT (Optimum Performance Training) model is the power level.

source

When an individual enters into a level of power training, that means that the training will begin to emphasize the development of two things: speed + power.

The GOALS of Power Training:

• Enhance neuromuscular efficiency (ability of all parts of the body to work together)
  • Enhance prime mover strength (the muscle with the main source of power)
  • Increase power
  • Enhance speed strength

For today’s power circuit workout, I had 10 moves to complete, each for 60 seconds, with 3 sets, making for a 30 minute routine. It included a mix of compound moves, functional exercises, and cardio drills which were all quite challenging when put together…but one move that killed me, and does every.single.time I do it?

Squat Jumps

source

I’ve come across these a few times in various workout videos that I own (including good ‘ol Jillian) and they are always a killer. Pair that with the fact that the rest of the workout was challenging AND I was sore from yesterday’s yoga and woooowheeee. I was spent by the time that was done.

Once I finished that crazy shebang, I showered up at work, finished up my morning shift with a group session, and now I’m back home to figure out some breakfast. I already snacked on a Clif Z Bar and a banana pre- and post-workout, but I’m definitely in need of something else…first things first, my mug of coffee.

And then I’m thinking that a slice (or two) of this will have to be incorporated…

Oh, I’m such a tease, aren’t I? Winking smile

Happy Monday!!

Question for the Morning:

Do you have any exercises that are always a challenge, no matter how often you do them?

What would you say you’re more efficient with: speed or power?

Comments

Zucchini Bread! My all time favourite healthy baked good! I’ve made zucchini bread cookies, oats, cooked and overnight, pancakes and a killer smoothie, totally addicted! Love starting the week of on a powerful note, looking forward to hitting the gym for a run after work! :)
    Michelle@PeachyPalate recently posted..Yellow Plums

2. Nicole says

Not sure what that bread is, but I can’t wait to find out – it looks great!

Do you know the “how-to-prevent raisins/blueberries/other heavier ingredients-from-falling-to-the-bottom-of-the-bread/pancake/whatever you’re making-trick?” Toss them in a little bit of flour just before you mix them in with the other ingredients and they won’t all sink to the bottom when they bake! It works wonders :)

• Courtney says

Yes! I actually ended up adding those in last minute, haha, so it totally slipped my mind. Next time though!

I hate doing lunges, but I’ve heard it’s sometimes exercises you like doing the least that are best for your body, because of certain “weak spots” you may have. I think the big thing is just to make sure you use good form and don’t have any pain that you should be concerned about (such as in your knees or other joints).

I have found that I hate doing them less than I used to. :)
    Justine @ Life With Cheeseburgers recently posted..Strawberry Protein Breakfast Souffle

4. Nicole says

BURPEES! They scare me. I’m just afraid that my face is going to hit the floor. I’m also pretty tall (5’10”), so I use the excuse of “it’s harder for me to get myself down and up”. Burpees….why can’t we get along?!

Any exercise that requires core strength is always a challenge for me. I have tried Yoga, and Pilates and every time it’s just a disaster! It probably also has something to do with my short attention span when it comes to working out. I have such a hard time focusing on my breathing and taking it slow. I tend to want to rush and get it out of the way.
    Katy recently posted..Automotive Russian Roulette and a Marathon

I love circuit workouts like that, they just fly by! Can’t believe its your last week of bootcamp! It must be weird going into next week not having a specific plan! The move that always gets my is jumping lunges. I can do burpees and even squats jumps, but the jumping lunges KILL me! Have a great day!
    Lisa recently posted..Comparison Trap

7. Ashley says

I absolutely love circuit style workouts which is one of the main reasons I’ve enjoyed Best Body Bootcamp so much! However – high knees, burpees, and jumping lunges always seem to get me! I don’t stop though – I get them done in the amount of time I have set out to do. I may lose power, but I do not stop!!

Trackbacks