Let Me Tell You a Little Story…

by Courtney on October 23, 2012

…about what happens when you get lazy.

I had grand plans for dinner last night. I had bought a head of cauliflower at the store last week with all intentions of making some sort of mashed concoction with it. I’d read recipes, seen photos, and was pumped to give ‘em a shot; especially since I’d already attempted and made them successfully with potatoes.

So last night, I set out on making my mashed cauliflower. I was so into it that I even tried roasting a head of garlic for the first time (<—if you’ve never done this, promise me you will…it’s incredible. Just follow these simple steps).

Unfortunately, my plan backfired all thanks to the fact that I was too lazy to want to cook the cauliflower in a pot on the stove. I didn’t want to have to wash another pot?! So I decided to microwave it instead…and the damn stuff barely ever got soft.

After about 15 minutes of microwaving, and everything else already cooked by this point, I threw my hands up in the air saying ehhhh-ohhhh, baby let’sss go said “Oh, screw it!” and just went ahead and continued making the recipe. Ughh, so disappointing.

And the real kicker? Had I just cooked and prepared them in the pot, I would have had the same amount of dishes. I’m such a terd.

Luckily, the flavor of them wasn’t all that bad, so I was still able to eat and enjoy them along with some grilled, marinated chicken tenders and corn. Not the most colorful of dinners, but whateverrrr.

Hopefully all of you managed to get through your own dinners last night without any major snafus. Winking smile

*****

Breakfast

Hey, at least I managed to get through breakfast without any issues.

I stole a bunch of Jay’s grapes for a little extra sweetness along with my yummy breakfast sandwich this morning.

Whole wheat English muffin, one fried egg, provolone cheese, turkey bacon, and raspberry jam.

All sorts of good stuff goin’ on right there I’ll tell ya!

Questions for the Morning:

When’s the last time your laziness came back to bite ya in the rear end? Winking smile

Any epic recipe fails lately?

1 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 23, 2012 at 9:20 am

That is totally something that would happen to me. I tried roasting cauliflower last week but it didn’t turn out quite as yummy as I wanted/hoped it would…lame.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Running Shenanigans

2 Elaine October 23, 2012 at 9:21 am

When my laundry pile was bigger than the amount of clothes in my closet! Laundry is seriously the worst.
Elaine recently posted..Mini Crustless Pumpkin Pies

3 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes October 23, 2012 at 9:21 am

I absolutely *hate* dirtying more pots and pans when I can help it; I totally would’ve done the same thing, Courtney. You need to pick and choose your battles. ;)
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..No-Bake Peanut Butter Protein Bars

4 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life October 23, 2012 at 9:24 am

Mashed cauliflower is such a particular recipe! I actually tried roasting the cauliflower to try and get a better flavor than boiled. I thought it would be cooked through and soft, but it turns out though roasting does not lead to mashing! Ha ha my cauliflower ended up looking like yours, a ‘rustic mash’ as I called it.. :) Still tasted delicious though!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..An Icy Situation

5 Beks October 23, 2012 at 9:39 am

Well, it didn’t necessarily bite me in the rear, but last night, I had full intentions of making banana soft serve with this fancy-schmancy peanut butter my mom bought me, and some protein powder, but I didn’t want to break out the food processor. Instead, I dug through the deep freeze and found a French Apple Pie by Sara Lee. Yes, it actually took longer, as there were two cooking cycles, and I had to let it cool before I could have any, but I didn’t have to break out the food processor!

In hindsight, the pie was actually a lot more work. Banana soft serve is too easy to whip up for its own good.
Beks recently posted..Week Three~C’est Finis, and a movie.

6 kristin October 23, 2012 at 9:40 am

still looks good to me :) and your breakfast is making me drool, considering I only brought a fiber one chewy granola bar with me today – so hungry

7 Kerry @ Totes My Oats October 23, 2012 at 9:40 am

I get so mad at myself when my laziness comes around, especially in the kitchen! So frustrating. Your breakfast sandwich looks amazing!!
Kerry @ Totes My Oats recently posted..Rosemary Garlic Roasted Potatoes

8 Megan@funsizedfitness October 23, 2012 at 9:44 am

When I get lazy cleaning out the cat’s litter box, it stinks up the entire house and then I really regret it!
Megan@funsizedfitness recently posted..I Don’t Know How to Cook Meat.

9 Khushboo October 23, 2012 at 9:47 am

Friday afternoons at work make me SO lazy and my productivity hits rock bottom..and hence bites me in the butt on monday mornings! That chicken looks great :-)
Khushboo recently posted..A Taste of Naples

10 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 23, 2012 at 9:51 am

The last recipe fail I remember was trying to make a healthy twist Chinese dish! Let’s just say it was such a fail that it all went in the trash! We didn’t even attempt to eat it.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..No Rest For The Weary….

11 Michelle@Peachy Palate October 23, 2012 at 10:02 am

Yes I made burger buns four times over. It’s a recipe I’ve made countless times but I was too impatient to do the required kneading….eventually I gave in and they worked perfectly! Laziness….sticking everything in the dishwasher….then forgetting that you will run out of dishes and end up either having it put it on prematurely or hand wash what you need anyway.
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..As Precious as gold

12 Ashlee October 23, 2012 at 10:04 am

I made mashed cauliflower last night too! That stuff is GOOD!
Ashlee recently posted..Country Supper + 3 Things

13 Andrea @ Vegvacious October 23, 2012 at 10:07 am

I’ve been wanting to try mashed cauliflower too – I think I’ll learn from your mistakes on that one LOL!!! Your breakfast looks pretty fantastic, so I think you’ve redeemed yourself now!!
Andrea @ Vegvacious recently posted..Pumpkin Love + an Oatmeal Recipe

14 Barbara October 23, 2012 at 10:11 am

I can totally relate to your story. I LOVE to cook and bake … not so joyful about the cleaning up part of it. I make my mashed cauliflower by cooking the cauliflower in a pot with chicken broth, then drain off the broth when it’s soft and throw in 2 or 3 Laugh Cow cheese wedges (the garlic and herb ones are especially good for this). That’s all there is to it- and only one pot to clean :-)

15 Courtney October 23, 2012 at 10:14 am

I added 2 laughing cow wedges to mine too! (I used light swiss) – definitely a great addition :)

16 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie October 23, 2012 at 10:11 am

Haha I am the same way — I try to cut corners to avoid dishes. It’s ok, it happens :) At least your breakfast turned out great!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..How We Found Our Home

17 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy October 23, 2012 at 10:31 am

Haha, I get lazy with dinner sometimes too. The shortcut that I don’t regret, though, is microwaving spaghetti squash. Soooo much faster, and it still tastes the same!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Wedding Recap: The Ceremony

18 Shane October 23, 2012 at 10:46 am

I am actually being lazy right now. I had planned to wake up early so that I could get my sweet potato home fries in for breakfast along with my bacon and eggs. I didn’t feel like preparing everything for the fries, and then cleaning everything up afterwards so I had to settle for just the other two. I blame it on the rain! You have to blame something, right? =)
Shane recently posted..Kale? Gross!

19 Rachel October 23, 2012 at 10:55 am

haha I’ve been so lazy after work lately.. I have a pair of sneakers I’ve been meaning to return butttt hasn’t happened haha
Rachel recently posted..The Soundtrack to my life…

20 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl October 23, 2012 at 11:04 am

Don’t you just hate when you make a cooking attempt and it totally fails? So disappointing, but it happens to the best of us!

My problem is I usually am trying to make recipes a bit healthier, which NORMALLY turns out great. But a few weekends ago I tried to make these breakfast quinoa muffin cups and apparently my attempt to make them healthier also made them very bland and not so tasty. Lesson learned: experiment, but make sure to do this first before serving others (unless it is close family members who will pretty much try anything)!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Roasted Part 4: Sweet Potatoes, Broccoli, Cauliflower, & Zucchini + Seasoned Quinoa

21 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 23, 2012 at 11:12 am

Every weekend when I have to spend 2+ hours doing house work because I’ve neglected it all week :(
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... macros and micromanagement .

22 Marielle October 23, 2012 at 11:13 am

Oh that happens to everyone! Last weekend I realized we had about 6 wine glasses sitting in the counter for days….was too lazy to wash them! Ugh.
Marielle recently posted..Fit Apps And Monday Funny

23 Sarah October 23, 2012 at 11:15 am

I always get really lazy too and just want to microwave everything. And then I realize that it ends up taking as much time to microwave so many different things that i could have just cooked them on the stove for the same amount of time, and it would have tasted 1000x better. When I’m feeling really lazy, though, I just go to Trader Joe’s to buy pre-cooked grilled chicken because the thought of putting in the effort to actually grill food is too much for me sometimes
Sarah recently posted..Tuesday Tangents

24 michelle kim October 23, 2012 at 11:55 am

We had a Korean bbq sale over the weekend and some of the guys didn’t know how to make rice in a rice cooker…. there was SO MUCH rice and barely any water… so it came out super undercooked. FAIL. <— except my older brother got there and attempted to fix all the rice by re-cooking it with the right ratios and he was able to do it!
michelle kim recently posted..A Calling

25 Allie October 23, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Oh my lord, that is the most amazing breakfast sandwich I’ve ever seen!

26 Meghan @ After the Ivy League October 23, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I’m sure no one blames you for trying to avoid washing that extra dish! That’s the worst part about cooking, hands down. Recipes are all “quick and easy! 30 minutes!” What they fail to mention is that you’ll spend an additional 30 minutes doing the darn dishes afterwards. Sigh.
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..New England Fall and Frankenstein Brownies

27 Chelsea@Ahintofhealthy October 23, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Hahaha! that sounds like something I would have done. I have definitely ruined so many things by trying to “go a faster/easier route.” And especially with the microwave! Your breakfast looks yummy :)

28 Annette@FitnessPerks October 23, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Bahaha. Totally did this the other night. Laziness sometimes ends up being more work. Lamesauce.

Epic fail recently? Not cleaning out the fridge when I should have….
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..3 Ways To Reduce Stress Instantly!

29 Linz @ Itz Linz October 23, 2012 at 1:50 pm

My recipe fails usually consist of pancakes falling apart… so I just make sure to cook the scramble and eat it as is – ugly!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Runner’s World Hat Trick – 5K, 10K, & Half Marathon

30 Abby October 23, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I feel your pain. Did you chop your cauliflower into pieces before microwaving? I am often too lazy to boil mine too, but find that pieces in a big, covered bowl get soft within 5ish minutes.

Then you can whip them in the food processor (I use Laughing Cow/cream cheese and parmesan) no problem! Totally one of my favorite side dishes.

31 Ciara October 23, 2012 at 3:46 pm

What kind of turkey bacon do you use? I want to start incorporating it into more meals but I’m not sure which is the best.

32 Courtney October 23, 2012 at 5:00 pm

I use Jennie-O brand!

33 Shannon October 23, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I found a recipe on Pinterest for Instant Microwave Macaroni and Cheese. I decided, “Hey, what the heck? This will make for a quick and easy dinner. I don’t even have to use a pot to boil the water for the noodles.” It worked out ok. Unfortunately, I put a little too much milk in and there was still some remaining below the macaroni and cheese. I gave it a second shot, but I think if I ever do make myself macaroni and cheese again, I’m going to get my butt out of the chair and boil the noodles/make it the right way. :)

34 Lauren October 23, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I had a major fail with dinner the other night. I completely forgot about a pot of noodles I was boiling for Toly and then turned to one big mush. Oh well, happens to the best of us. ;)
Lauren recently posted..My Job As a Wellness Coach: Your Questions Answered

35 Katy October 23, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Laziness has been biting my butt for the past 4 months. I just recently got by butt into gear and started exercising again and it feels sooooo good!
Katy recently posted..Game Time Goodies

36 Alexandrina October 23, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Eggplant marinara…I don’t know what went wrong but it was awful. :/ I don’t know if the eggplant just got a bit old since I had had it in my refrigerator for a few days or what. But yeah. Awful. I’ll let someone else do the cooking with eggplant the next time around!

37 Hollywood Healthy October 23, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I’m obsessed with green grapes!
Hollywood Healthy recently posted..Venting

38 Becka @ simplybecka October 24, 2012 at 10:16 am

My epic recipe fail lately was trying to make two ingredient pumpkin muffins/cupcakes and ended up buying a bigger container of pumpkin and used it all. WAY TOO MUCH. Scraped a whole batch of those yummies. Now I know better what size pumpkin to use.
Becka @ simplybecka recently posted..the burning question 10242012…

39 Emilie @ Hungry Delights October 24, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Your breakfast sandwiches always look sooo delicious – I keep seeing them and I must try making one!
Emilie @ Hungry Delights recently posted..WIAW ~ Getting my seafood fix