Meals That Don’t Make The Blog

Alright, so last night’s dinner was sort of lame – Jay had to work late so it was a simple sliced deli chicken wrap with avocado – BUT, I had had another dinner that I’ve been meaning to share with you guys for over a week now.

Most of the time, I wind up photographing a good majority of my meals. Occasionally, for one reason or another, they don’t end up making it to the blog…most of the time it’s because they’re boring or ugly (I’m starting to think it might be fun to do a roundup of the meals that don’t make the blog?!). But this salad I had recently just totally deserves a little shout out.

For this salad, I had broiled a fresh piece of salmon in the oven and served it on top a bed of romaine, onions, feta cheese, avocado, a few croutons, and tomatoes. But they weren’t just any tomatoes.

They were roasted tomatoes with parmesan cheese. And let me tell you…I cannot believe I have waited so long in my life to roast a tomato. WOW.

I didn’t really end up following a recipe, per se, but I sliced them lengthwise, drizzled them with a little olive oil and topped them with some parmesan cheese, basil, and oregano. I then roasted them in the oven at 350 degrees F for about 15-20 minutes. So easy, yet so super awesome.

I’m pretty sure I used two halves on my salad but then wound up eating the rest as snacks here or there, and they were gone within about a day and a half.

So yeah…the salad was great. The tomatoes were awesome.

It was just too delicious of a meal to pass up on sharing…and it sure beats last night’s dinner!

Breakfast

Would you believe that I went two whole days without peanut butter in my life? I know…I still can’t believe it either.

So I brought it back today. Winking smile

Typical breakfast-style, on a whole wheat English muffin along with some pumpkin butter, banana slices, and chia seeds. I also decided to go for the whole banana today (most days I just eat half and put the other half in the fridge for later) with a little more PB.

So, so good.

Now with breakfast in the books, it’s time to get movin’ with the rest of the day. Plans for this morning include a couple client training plans, possibly some yoga, and a little job hunting. I’m still on the lookout for something to get me out of the house and interacting with humans again. So hey, if anyone local is looking to hire… Winking smile

**As always, thank you all for your kind words from yesterday’s post. I wrote it quickly and on a whim, and didn’t even go back to proofread(!), so I sort of cringed when I went back and re-read some of it (definitely did not want to come across as whiny and should have focused more on the positives). But really – the encouragement, advice, and well wishes – thank you all SO much.

Alright friends, I’m off! Have a great Wednesday, everyone!!

Comments

I just read your post from yesterday, and I personally have to say that I don’t think you sound whiny at all! Sometimes we all just need to vent a little to get whatever is bothering us off of our mind. It is healthy to share feelings, and unhealthy to bury them deep! I love reading your blog (definitely one of my very favorites) because you are so real and relatable. I have battled HA as well and people like you who put themselves out there really speak to women and let them know that they aren’t alone. Hang in there girl, you will get through whatever comes your way! :)
    Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..WIAW: A Look Back

Sounds healthy and fresh
    I am just not a fan of peanut butter,though I eat peanuts and butter
    Your salad with salmon looks great.We in Finland eat salmon or trout fresh.Cut the filees and add coarse salt and Dill leaves on top
    Cover in grease proof paper,place something heavey on top and store in the fridge foe 24 hours

The dish is known as Graavi Lax
    Very tasty on dark bread and served with a fish or meat soup
    Welcome to Finnish cuisine
    Travel Finland Blog recently posted..What to Expect From Traditional Cuisine in Finland

3. Cappy says

Our dinner was lame last night too – one kiddo had breakfast for dinner, the other had a quesadilla w/ leftover chicken, which is what I mad for the husband and myself. Maybe lame-dinner-mode was just in the air yesterday? That salad is so colorful, I am definitely roasting tomatoes soon, they look awesome!!

Court, that salad looks incredible! I’m sure the salmon, avocado, and those amazing tomatoes totally made it! I don’t think I’ve ever roasted tomatoes either actually… I need to get on that!

In terms of jobs, have you ever thought of looking into something like what Lauren (from Say What You Need to Say) is doing with her new health coaching position? I didn’t know if you had any rec centers or fitness clubs near you that might have something like that or if you’d even be interested. Just a thought. ;)

xoxo
    Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #57: Play By Play of My Day

• Courtney says

Haha, it’s funny you say that! I would LOVE to find something like that in my area – unfortunately, no luck so far. :(

Wow, your food photographs really well! That salad looks like restaurant quality!! And I don’t think you sound whiny… I think a lot of us in the blog world can probably understand where you’re coming from and focus on what you were actually saying.
    Sarah recently posted..WIAW #2

• Courtney says

Haha, oh gosh…I don’t know if I remember now?!?
      Pretty sure it included a little olive oil and a bunch of random seasonings. Sorry I don’t have much more than that!

Thank you so much for sharing the recipe! I try to incorporate salads into my diet as much as possible, but have kind of been in a salad rut lately. I have been getting bored with the same-old thing, so I have a feeling that these roasted tomatoes will add something new and delicious to an old staple meal of mine. I am so excited to try this. :)
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Lightened-Up Veggie Mac & Cheese

• Courtney says

I have thought about it – I actually went back and did it last year. I do love the flexibility, but sometimes it’s so tough not knowing until 6am that morning whether you’re working or not, haha.

Those tomatoes look awesome!!

And p.s. I think you’re amazing for being so honest & personable. It didn’t sound like complaining at all! After anorexia, it got bad for me (I didn’t have my period for 7 years and then divebombed into disordered eating), so I def know how tough it is. Hang on, keep trucking, and make sure to pamper yourself :)

8. Kaelin says

I made a roasted tomato, feta, and shrimp dish this summer that was out-of-this world delicious! It was my first experience with roasting tomatoes too.

I just caught up on yesterday’s post and I like every other person appriciate your honesty, because we can all relate. While it’s the right thing to do, weight gain never feels good. I was headed down the wrong path last spring with over training and under eating, and decided to do something about it before it became out of control. I would highly recommend reading Intuitive Eating. It was eye opening for me and I continue to live off what I learned from this book.

What my distorted mind thinks my body should look like and what my body thinks my body should look like are two different things, but I learning that my body is a lot smarter than my brain some times! ;)

• Courtney says

I’ve always be leery to cook it too, haha!
      Honestly, I just browse the internet until I find an idea that I think will work ;)

9. LNK says

Have you ever tried your english muffins with frozen bananas? I eat them every day! I top an english muffin with PB and sliced frozen banana, then sprinkle with cinnamon and microwave for 30 seconds. The banana becomes caramelized with the cinnamon and it is heavenly! It tastes so indulgent, it’s hard to believe its just banana!