Meals That Don’t Make The Blog

by Courtney on October 24, 2012

Alright, so last night’s dinner was sort of lame – Jay had to work late so it was a simple sliced deli chicken wrap with avocado – BUT, I had had another dinner that I’ve been meaning to share with you guys for over a week now.

Most of the time, I wind up photographing a good majority of my meals. Occasionally, for one reason or another, they don’t end up making it to the blog…most of the time it’s because they’re boring or ugly (I’m starting to think it might be fun to do a roundup of the meals that don’t make the blog?!). But this salad I had recently just totally deserves a little shout out.

For this salad, I had broiled a fresh piece of salmon in the oven and served it on top a bed of romaine, onions, feta cheese, avocado, a few croutons, and tomatoes. But they weren’t just any tomatoes.

They were roasted tomatoes with parmesan cheese. And let me tell you…I cannot believe I have waited so long in my life to roast a tomato. WOW.

I didn’t really end up following a recipe, per se, but I sliced them lengthwise, drizzled them with a little olive oil and topped them with some parmesan cheese, basil, and oregano. I then roasted them in the oven at 350 degrees F for about 15-20 minutes. So easy, yet so super awesome.

I’m pretty sure I used two halves on my salad but then wound up eating the rest as snacks here or there, and they were gone within about a day and a half.

So yeah…the salad was great. The tomatoes were awesome.

It was just too delicious of a meal to pass up on sharing…and it sure beats last night’s dinner!

Breakfast

Would you believe that I went two whole days without peanut butter in my life? I know…I still can’t believe it either.

So I brought it back today. Winking smile

Typical breakfast-style, on a whole wheat English muffin along with some pumpkin butter, banana slices, and chia seeds. I also decided to go for the whole banana today (most days I just eat half and put the other half in the fridge for later) with a little more PB.

So, so good.

Now with breakfast in the books, it’s time to get movin’ with the rest of the day. Plans for this morning include a couple client training plans, possibly some yoga, and a little job hunting. I’m still on the lookout for something to get me out of the house and interacting with humans again. So hey, if anyone local is looking to hire… Winking smile

**As always, thank you all for your kind words from yesterday’s post. I wrote it quickly and on a whim, and didn’t even go back to proofread(!), so I sort of cringed when I went back and re-read some of it (definitely did not want to come across as whiny and should have focused more on the positives). But really – the encouragement, advice, and well wishes – thank you all SO much.

Alright friends, I’m off! Have a great Wednesday, everyone!!

1 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope October 24, 2012 at 9:10 am

Lately I’ve been wanting to try cooking salmon at home. It really needs to be cooked a certain way for me to enjoy it because I hate fishy tasting fish. That salad really does look delicious! :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Wedding Recap: Our Reception!…

2 Angela @ Health's Angel October 24, 2012 at 9:15 am

Oh my. I want that salad right now. At 9:15am.
I am definitely going to have to try the parm tomatoes!
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..My Essential Oils

3 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life October 24, 2012 at 9:15 am

I just read your post from yesterday, and I personally have to say that I don’t think you sound whiny at all! Sometimes we all just need to vent a little to get whatever is bothering us off of our mind. It is healthy to share feelings, and unhealthy to bury them deep! I love reading your blog (definitely one of my very favorites) because you are so real and relatable. I have battled HA as well and people like you who put themselves out there really speak to women and let them know that they aren’t alone. Hang in there girl, you will get through whatever comes your way! :)
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..WIAW: A Look Back

4 Elizabeth @ AsToldByASassyGinger October 24, 2012 at 9:17 am

That’s a beautiful meal! I really want to try roasting tomatoes now… tomatoes and cheese are two of my absolute favorite hings in the world!
Elizabeth @ AsToldByASassyGinger recently posted..My food philosophy at the moment

5 Khushboo October 24, 2012 at 9:28 am

I candour know how you waited this long to share that meal- it looks phenomenal!!!
Khushboo recently posted..A Taste of Naples

6 Kerry @ Totes My Oats October 24, 2012 at 9:32 am

Yum I love salads with salmon and those roasted tomatoes look so good! What a lovely combo :)
Kerry @ Totes My Oats recently posted..Getting in the Spirit

7 Andrea @ Vegvacious October 24, 2012 at 9:34 am

One of my favourite winter casseroles is Angela’s Basil Scalloped Tomatoes with Croutons – you should check it out because I think you’d really like it http://ohsheglows.com/2010/07/23/basil-scalloped-tomatoes-and-croutons/

Good luck on your job search!!
Andrea @ Vegvacious recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

8 Courtney October 24, 2012 at 9:49 am

Wow, they sound awesome! Thanks so much for sharing – just pinned ‘em! :)

9 Kerry October 24, 2012 at 9:41 am

The roasted tomatoes look fabulous!! I am going to try this one asap! Funny that I have never done that before.

10 Travel Finland Blog October 24, 2012 at 9:47 am

Sounds healthy and fresh
I am just not a fan of peanut butter,though I eat peanuts and butter
Your salad with salmon looks great.We in Finland eat salmon or trout fresh.Cut the filees and add coarse salt and Dill leaves on top
Cover in grease proof paper,place something heavey on top and store in the fridge foe 24 hours

The dish is known as Graavi Lax
Very tasty on dark bread and served with a fish or meat soup
Welcome to Finnish cuisine
Travel Finland Blog recently posted..What to Expect From Traditional Cuisine in Finland

11 Cappy October 24, 2012 at 9:50 am

Our dinner was lame last night too – one kiddo had breakfast for dinner, the other had a quesadilla w/ leftover chicken, which is what I mad for the husband and myself. Maybe lame-dinner-mode was just in the air yesterday? That salad is so colorful, I am definitely roasting tomatoes soon, they look awesome!!

12 Julie @ Sweetly Balanced October 24, 2012 at 9:51 am

This salad looks incredible!! Especially the tomatoes- I’m not really a fan of plain tomatoes so always looking for ways to make them tastier! I will definitely be trying it! Thanks for posting!
Julie @ Sweetly Balanced recently posted..Runner Swag Swap

13 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries October 24, 2012 at 9:54 am

Court, that salad looks incredible! I’m sure the salmon, avocado, and those amazing tomatoes totally made it! I don’t think I’ve ever roasted tomatoes either actually… I need to get on that!

In terms of jobs, have you ever thought of looking into something like what Lauren (from Say What You Need to Say) is doing with her new health coaching position? I didn’t know if you had any rec centers or fitness clubs near you that might have something like that or if you’d even be interested. Just a thought. ;)

xoxo
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #57: Play By Play of My Day

14 Courtney October 24, 2012 at 9:57 am

Haha, it’s funny you say that! I would LOVE to find something like that in my area – unfortunately, no luck so far. :(

15 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 24, 2012 at 10:03 am

I can’t honestly remember the last full day I went without eating nut butter of some sort. I guess you can say I’m a little addicted ;) And that salad looks to.die.for. I’m not much of a savory person first thing in the morning, but you’ve got me craving a salad at 8 AM…
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... how to stop counting calories .

16 Becka @ simplybecka October 24, 2012 at 10:21 am

Have a great day to you too!
Becka @ simplybecka recently posted..the burning question 10242012…

17 Sarah October 24, 2012 at 10:22 am

Wow, your food photographs really well! That salad looks like restaurant quality!! And I don’t think you sound whiny… I think a lot of us in the blog world can probably understand where you’re coming from and focus on what you were actually saying.
Sarah recently posted..WIAW #2

18 Kim@hungryhealthygirl October 24, 2012 at 10:33 am

That salmon salad is so pretty. Thanks for the tomato idea. I’m going to roast me up some parmesan tomatoes ASAP!
Kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..WIAW & Veggies for Breakfast {Green Monster Pancakes}

19 Shana October 24, 2012 at 10:34 am

None of yesterday’s post came across as whiny. You are so hard on yourself!
Shana recently posted..Roaring 20′s

20 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 24, 2012 at 10:39 am

That salad does look delicious. Good luck with job hunting today!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..I See A Theme Developing!

21 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie October 24, 2012 at 10:42 am

Those roasted tomatoes look amazing! I love tomatoes and parm, I can’t believe I haven’t tried this either!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..New House = No Internet

22 Jessie October 24, 2012 at 10:49 am

This looks amazing! How’d you season/cook the salmon?

23 Courtney October 24, 2012 at 10:57 am

Haha, oh gosh…I don’t know if I remember now?!?
Pretty sure it included a little olive oil and a bunch of random seasonings. Sorry I don’t have much more than that!

24 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl October 24, 2012 at 11:02 am

Thank you so much for sharing the recipe! I try to incorporate salads into my diet as much as possible, but have kind of been in a salad rut lately. I have been getting bored with the same-old thing, so I have a feeling that these roasted tomatoes will add something new and delicious to an old staple meal of mine. I am so excited to try this. :)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Lightened-Up Veggie Mac & Cheese

25 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy October 24, 2012 at 11:07 am

Those tomatoes look sooo good! Good luck with the job hunt! Have you ever considered substitute teaching? That’s what I’m doing now, and I love the hours and the flexibility. Plus, at the end of the day, I don’t have to bring any work home with me :).
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..WIAW #12: A Day for Lounging

26 Courtney October 24, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I have thought about it – I actually went back and did it last year. I do love the flexibility, but sometimes it’s so tough not knowing until 6am that morning whether you’re working or not, haha.

27 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy October 25, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Oh yes, that is true. Thankfully, the district that I am working in right now has a shortage of subs, so I usually get called the night, or even a few nights, before, but otherwise it can be hard to have any sort of routine!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Let’s Reflect

28 Rachel October 24, 2012 at 11:11 am

ooo your roasted tomatoes look great! I’ve never roasted them. Usually just saute them lol
Rachel recently posted..Halloween Costumes

29 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers October 24, 2012 at 11:30 am

Im with you with recipes that don’t make the blog. Either the photos aren’t great or the food is justnot blog worthy!!

Your salad looks amazing!!

30 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness October 24, 2012 at 11:30 am

Those roasted tomatoes sound amazing! I’m going to have to try that out! The melted cheese on top looks amazing!
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

31 Jentry Nielsen October 24, 2012 at 11:50 am

2 days with no peanut butter?! I don’t know if I could do it! ha Good luck on the job hunt! I bet a lot of stores are hiring for the holidays at least, hopefully you can find one that will land ya with a killer discount too! ;) haha
Jentry Nielsen recently posted..Finding Shoes Fit For Your Workout

32 Tiffany @SkinnyTiffanyBlog October 24, 2012 at 11:59 am

Those tomatoes look delicious!! I think I’m going to have to give them a try! Your salad looks yummy too! I love salmon!!! MMM good! :D
Tiffany @SkinnyTiffanyBlog recently posted..Day 24 – Something I Haven’t Done In A While

33 Annette@FitnessPerks October 24, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Those tomatoes look awesome!!

And p.s. I think you’re amazing for being so honest & personable. It didn’t sound like complaining at all! After anorexia, it got bad for me (I didn’t have my period for 7 years and then divebombed into disordered eating), so I def know how tough it is. Hang on, keep trucking, and make sure to pamper yourself :)

34 michelle kim October 24, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I wish the avocados here weren’t so expensive… looks so yummy!
And that looks like a great way to cook up some tomatoes!
michelle kim recently posted..Get It Back

35 Steph @ StephSnacks October 24, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Oooh love the idea about the tomato’s! I am going to try that as soon as I get the chance :)
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..Today And Tomorrow

36 Kaelin October 24, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I made a roasted tomato, feta, and shrimp dish this summer that was out-of-this world delicious! It was my first experience with roasting tomatoes too.

I just caught up on yesterday’s post and I like every other person appriciate your honesty, because we can all relate. While it’s the right thing to do, weight gain never feels good. I was headed down the wrong path last spring with over training and under eating, and decided to do something about it before it became out of control. I would highly recommend reading Intuitive Eating. It was eye opening for me and I continue to live off what I learned from this book.

What my distorted mind thinks my body should look like and what my body thinks my body should look like are two different things, but I learning that my body is a lot smarter than my brain some times! ;)

37 Danica @ It's Progression October 24, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I just bought salmon for the first time ever…It’s one of those things I’ve been scared to make myself? What temp do you broil it at? Or is it okay/better to bake it?
I always love salmon I get out at restaurants and don’t want to totally mess it up the first time I attempt it on my own : )
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..WIAW #43: post half marathon appetite

38 Courtney October 24, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I’ve always be leery to cook it too, haha!
Honestly, I just browse the internet until I find an idea that I think will work ;)

39 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 24, 2012 at 1:27 pm

That salad looks absolutely DELICIOUS!!!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday / Something New to Try

40 Megan@funsizedfitness October 24, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Yum….salmon in salads is so good! Have you ever had it with pineapple?!
Megan@funsizedfitness recently posted..A Quick Update!

41 Michelle@Peachy Palate October 24, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Very pretty looking dish! Can’t believe you went two days without PB! I also can’t believe you put half a banana in the fridge, I either layer it up or gobble it! :)
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Home Grown

42 LNK October 24, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Have you ever tried your english muffins with frozen bananas? I eat them every day! I top an english muffin with PB and sliced frozen banana, then sprinkle with cinnamon and microwave for 30 seconds. The banana becomes caramelized with the cinnamon and it is heavenly! It tastes so indulgent, it’s hard to believe its just banana!

43 Courtney October 24, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I’ve actually never tried that, but your description sounds way too good to pass up!

44 Jillian @ Sprinkle Massacre October 24, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Oh my gosh – I actually don’t really like tomatoes, unless they are roasted!! How much more flavor comes out when you roast them, right? YUM!
Jillian @ Sprinkle Massacre recently posted..Outdoor Run + Stuffed Chicken

45 Sherice@foodieluvsfitness October 24, 2012 at 9:56 pm

That salad looks delicious and I don’t even like fish.. I want to, oh believe me I want to but every time I try it… nope not havin it! and those tomatoes YUMMMMM!!!!

46 Bek @ Crave October 25, 2012 at 2:27 am

You’re not whiny at all! It’s good because most of us are totally nodding our heads and saying- so been there sista! ;)
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Change- MBMS 3