Lucky To Be Where I Am

Holy cow. Yesterday was one LONG and busy day, but it was all good so I can’t complain. We’ll just forget about the fact that I may or may not be walking around in a semi-zombie state with greasy hair.

The day started out as normal yesterday, heading in to work, getting settled, and eating breakfast while I checked through some emails.

Breakfast consisted of coffee and a yogurt bowl made with vanilla Chobani, strawberries, blueberries, chia seeds, some Special K Protein Plus, and plain Cheerios. Yum.

This week at work has actually been fairly quiet, since a good majority of the office is, well, out of the office. Not only did we have our company kick-off meeting last night, but there were also meetings all day yesterday and today which many of the sales people and executives have to attend. (I’ll get to a little bit more about that below!).

Mid-morning, I started getting hungry again, so I made myeslf a quick snack of an apple plus cashew butter.

Unfortunately, I don’t think I’ll be having anymore cashew butter for a little while, after talking with the doctor a bit more at my asthma appointment yesterday. YES, the asthma appointment. Let’s get to that for a second…

First things first, the appointment was GREAT. A gazillion times better than my last one, and the woman I saw yesterday was not only a lot more friendly, but she was also so much more thorough with everything. Rather than try to scare me silly, she sat down and talked over everything with me in so much detail. Thankfully, my numbers were MUCH lower yesterday with my retests, so she said that was a great sign and that they’ll probably continue to drop as I continue to use my prescribed inhaler.

But in addition to talking about the asthma, she was also incredibly thorough. She went back through all of my records, including all of my allergy testing and food allergies. While none of my food allergies are strong or severe, she said that two of my biggest are cashews and hazelnuts. That being said, I eat them and never get a reaction, but she said it wouldn’t hurt to try to stay away from them if possible, just in case I were to get a reaction. That being said, I think I should probably pass on that cashew butter from now on. 😉

*****

After my appointment yesterday, I stopped home quick to change for our company meeting and ate a quick lunch. The only thing I was really in the mood for was peanut butter and banana, so I had them on some waffles, since I don’t typically have those during the week now.

After that, I headed off to our company meeting in Saratoga…

Now, I just have to say that this was one pretty awesome meeting. Do you guys know in movies where they have like, those big company meetings with the stage and the lights, and the big screens, and the CEO standing up on stage giving his presentation? Yeah, that was OUR meeting. I don’t know, maybe it’s because I’ve never experienced anything like that before (prior to this, most important meetings of mine were either in a school faculty lounge or the PT’s office at a gym) but it was just SO cool.

While I’ve said that I’m not going to get into great detail about where I work (just because I don’t think it’s important or necessary) I am an office administrator/executive assistant, and the company just seems like an incredible place to be. We’re also a global company, so for yesterday’s meeting, we had our whole team flown in from all over the world…the UK, Spain, France, Germany, China, Australia, South Africa, Italy…I mean really, ALL over the world. It was such an awesome experience, to get to chat and mingle with these co-workers of mine who are from such diverse places and cultures. Everyone was so ridiculously friendly and welcoming, and I became more and more increasingly aware of just how lucky I am to be where I am right now.

After our meeting, there was a cocktail hour (many co-workers now know about the little one, if they didn’t already!), dinner (delicious food!), and a “Night at the Races” theme party. We had a horse race theme, where we were given chips to bet on horse races that were projected on a large screen. Then, there was a silent auction where you could bet your winnings on a bunch of different prizes (I won a $25 iTunes gift card!), as well as a DJ and dancing. I wound up staying at the party until a little before 10pm before calling it a night and heading home.

So yes, it was a long day, but a good day. I’m pretty exhausted today, and my morning workout streak got cut a bit short, but I’m hoping to get back to it tomorrow, after I’m able to go home and crash hard today after work. 😉

Questions for the Morning:

• I’m curious…what kind of a job do YOU have?
  • What are some of your favorite things about your job?

Comments

1. Renee says

I know this is going to sound mean but I’ve worked in a lot of different jobs and NONE that I have worked at would ever allow me to eat meals (more than one) at my desk while I “worked” let alone snap endless photos while there. I love ya Court you know that but I would be really careful to not make this into a habit. I’ve seen too many people loose their jobs over less. Trust me. I once had a boss lecture us about not going to the gym on our 1 hour lunch breaks, because it didn’t allow us time to eat and we were NOT to be eating at all at our desks! Things start out harmless but they can turn ugly fast.

• says

I just wanted to chime in to give a different experience. I eat at my desk at my job. All day long. So does my boss. In fact, I don’t know I’ve every had a desk job that didn’t allow this.

I think every office is different, and luckily eating at my desk is not something that’s an issue. Pregnant or not, a girl’s gotta eat!
      Cassie @ RedLetterDaye recently posted..lucky number 13

• Renee says

Ugh! I wish I had a job like that. Most offices I’ve worked at discourage eating at the desk. It looks sloppy and unprofessional. There are other places for eating your desk is for working. I don’t know I’ve worked in 3 differt offices all of which had these policies. Fortune 500 company, start up, and a small office. I found I drank a ton of coffee and water which was fine by me. And took breaks to eat away from my desk just not at it.

• Whitney says

Does your job allow you to read and comment on blogs during work hours Renee? (I’m assuming you are at work right now) Clearly, Courtney would not be taking pictures or eating at her desk if it was frowned upon.

• Renee says

Wow I actually own my own company so I do the hiring and firing around my office. This wasn’t an attack at all it was just offering some perspective. I pay my people to do work at work not side ventures. As an employer I would put my foot down about this since it can be perceived as spending work time not doing work. I don’t mind eating at the desk but taking photos many times a day is not for my office the best use of our time.

No need to be nasty ladies. I’m just shocked and offering another opinion.
            Renee recently posted..Oldie but a Goodie

• Courtney says

Yeah, it seems to be pretty commonplace around here as well and hasn’t been an issue. I joke all the time that I’m constantly needing to eat so we get a good laugh out of it. :)

I am a high school math teacher (Advanced Algebra Accelerated and Calculus). I work at a crazy-busy, pretty affluent high school, so it’s pretty stressful and definitely a lot of work. But, I do really enjoy working with teenagers!

I’m also almost finished with my certification as a health coach. I’m not sure what exactly I’m going to do, but I know I’d like to pursue a part-time job within this field in my future. :)
    Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Learning About Coconut Oil

I just switched from teaching to working in E-marketing, and I love it. It is a completely different atmosphere, but the right fit for me! Glad you are loving your job, it is much for fulfilling to do something you really enjoy, than to suffer through a job you hate.

I am currently an intern at Kraft Foods and I work in the department where we do the labeling (nutrition, ingredients, etc.) for cheeses like Philadelphia cream cheese for Europe. The best thing about my job is without a doubt the people I work with. They’re the coolest people ever!!

It makes me so excited to hear how much you love your new job Court. :) I know how much you’ve been wanting this! The company dinner sounds like such a great time! We did one of those “Night at the Races” things for one of Cody’s work parties one time – it was super fun! Hope you’re able to have a little bit more of a low key day today. Tomorrow is Friday – woo hoo!
    Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..01/17/13: Thursday Thoughts

Happy Almost Friday!! I am a meeting planner and I really love my job. I get to plan meetings and events throughout the year and it’s really what I want to do besides being a great mom. I have to travel a lot during the spring & summer months but it’s worth it to see a meeting that I have been planning for over a year, take off and be a successful meetings. If I had a choice to not work, well, I would love it but I would probably volunteer or teach a fitness class as I like being busy and being a good role model for my daughter. Do you plan to go back to work after maternity leave?
    Karen recently posted..Thirsty Thursday

I know what you mean about that big meeting. I felt like that, more often right out of college, but even now, I’m the youngest of my colleagues usually, by about 30-40 years, so sometimes I feel like the baby of the group, and it’s not real life.

Now of course, I’m looking to switch to personal training, so it will be all new surreal experiences. :)
    Cassie @ RedLetterDaye recently posted..lucky number 13

I work as a family practice physician in a small town clinic. I love my job because I love the people I work with and I love taking care of people – especially in a small town where it is much more than just medicine – it is talking to people about their lives – and getting to know them really well. Love it!
    Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Crock pot challenge

It’s awesome that you’re enjoying your job so much – that definitely makes it easier to go into work every morning. We have a family business, and right now I’m doing a lot of administrative work for that with some volunteering on the side, but I’m planning on going back to school in the Fall to start working on getting a Master’s and PhD in counselling psychology.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... thinking out loud #15 .

That meeting sounds awesome! Sad you can’t have cashew butter :( I’ve never had it but it sounds wonderful.

I am a nanny and a personal trainer. I couldn’t ask for anything better. I am head over heels for my girls…they make me smile day after day. And my PT clients are super rewarding, it’s amazing to see the changes they go through.

It’s really nice that you like your job so much. I’m still a student but I really do want a job that I can look forward to going into each day. Something that has to do with my interests that I’m engaged in. Those are the best kinds!
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted..You Look Good

12. Smile says

Hi
    Question for you…will you keep working full time post baby? I know you were hoping for this little one and can tell you going back to work was just not happening during my daughter’s first year…..still debating about my future since I am a teacher with a Master’s degree and on leave……Also, was it hard to get over not using your degrees? I feel guilty that I spent so much money on my degrees that I should be using them….Does this bother you?

• Courtney says

Yes, I am planning on going back to work after my maternity leave. My employer is very understanding and accomdating as far as the length and terms of my maternity leave, so I guess we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.
      As for my degrees, yeah, I did feel guilty for a while, but I’m okay with it now. It was actually in an interview where the recruiter told me that I shouldn’t feel guilty about trying to work outside of my degrees because I’ll definitely still put those skills to use, which is true.

13. Kelsey Y. says

I’m a Room Service Attendant (RSA) at a local hospital. And what is an RSA? We are responsible for getting food to patients’ rooms. Not only that, but we also stop by rooms to help them order meals and are able to answer any questions about the specific diet they may be on. At the end of the night, we are also there to help out in the dish room so everyone can leave on time.

My favorite part is being able to interact with patients, and hopefully put them in a better mood or make their stay just a little bit better. It has been a great change up from work at Cold Stone Creamery for 3.5ish years!

That’s awesome that you are so happy at your new job. It makes a big difference. And it’s fun to see the work/life balance now too!

My job is pretty much like yours every day (well minus the party..ha!). But we are a big company and have insight into some very cool stuff. Your post reminded me that I’m pretty lucky too 😉
    Shanna, like Banana recently posted..My “beauty” products

I am a 911 dispatcher – I was just thinking how cool that is! I used to watch Rescue 911 when I was a kid and was hooked. Not everyone can do my job and I have seen many people start training, but never finish because it was not for them or they just could not do it. I love my job, I like helping people and the people I work with.

In reference to working after Baby Tooth is born: Do not feel bad for going back to work. It is tough at first because you just spent all that time home with your lil one. Find a daycare/babysitter that you are comfortable with and it will make it easier. I did not realize how much I needed time away to recharge and appreciate my family more.
    Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction recently posted..Active Wear – Oh the Possibilities

I totally wanna have a job like that haha right now I’m working for an event planner– we do lots of parties/weddings and such. It’s alright, but I’m hoping to get more into a communications arts/marketing field (and something with higher pay lol)
    Rachel recently posted..Groupon Classes

Sounds like you have a great job! I am a Marketing Mgr for out local Chamber, and love it. It keeps be connected and involved ion the community which are two things that are really important to me.
    Lindsey recently posted..Pinterest Inspired

Ahhh, jobs jobs jobs. They’ve been consuming my life since I graduated from college in 2011. Ridiculously, I still haven’t settled into a full-time job. I was working part-time for my old university and taking grad courses, but quickly realized that I was hanging onto my old life at the place instead of putting myself out there and looking. So, I got out. Now, I’m temping solely for income while simultaneously job hunting. It is a pain and very frustrating! I just never thought I’d struggle as much as I have been. But I’m hoping something breaks soon, and that I find something that I love, like you love your job! :)
    Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..“Taste the Rainbow”

I am a registered nurse in the cancer and blood disease institute at children’s hospital. I love my job because I see the strongest kids ever and I see their courage to go through the hardest times. Makes me realize what I have and helps me to not take life and good health for granted!
    Sara@ fitcupcaker recently posted..Protein Oatmeal Loaf

Middle School teacher here! I really am thankful and in love with my job – I love my kiddos and co-workers! At this point in time, this is all I want to do! Obviously I have some dreams outside of teaching, but I am blessed to say I enjoy going to work everyday!
    Melissa Love recently posted..And It Is Back To WOD Time

21. Rachel S. says

I’m an Administrative Assisant III or Executive Assistant to a CIO and a COO at Hallmark.
    I really like my bosses and I love the company.

Your new job sounds awesome – congrats! I’ve worked in professional theater in and around NYC for the past 6 years. I know exactly what you are talking about — there have been times I am sitting in a conference room at a table surrounded by Producers, Actors and Press and I am like “what is my life right now?” Feels like a movie or something.
    Gillian recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday – my first!

23. Trixie says

Engineer and fellow cat-lover here! I work in one of the most un-girly jobs ever doing R&D at a company in the transportation sector.

Also, just to chime in, at my company nearly everyone eats lunch at their desk…I feel like the oddball for going out or home to eat!

Nice to hear that you are happy with where you are working, that is such a good thing!

although I don’t know where you work, I think we have a simillar job. I am an administrative assistant for over 10 people in a large accounting firm. Love my job but more importantly I love the company!

Sounds like you enjoy your job (: Right now I work as a photographer in a portrait studio and I absolutely love the kids and the fact that I’m creating something that families will have for the rest of their lives. I’m majoring in elementary ed so I also spend a lot of time in classrooms, which I love even more.
    Sarah recently posted..This Morning..

I’m an internal auditor for a wholesale grocery company… yeah, definitely not the job I dreamed about, but being fresh out of college, I can’t complain! My company has big quarterly meetings like the one you described, and I too was sort of shocked by it the first time. Everyone files in to this huge theater downtown on the morning of, the CEO and other executives speak, and at the end, we finish up with a big company cheer. It’s quite amusing. :)
    Megan recently posted..Garmin Forerunner 110 GPS & Heart Rate Monitor

27. Cassie says

I am a kindergarten teacher. My fave thing about it?! The KIDS of course! 😉 I agree with you though…all of my friends with business type jobs that get to travel and go to functions like you mentioned intrique me!! So neat/fun!

I work at a school in their after school program. It is to say the least very entertaining, since it is the number one private school in Richmond so the kids are to say the least spoiled beyond belief. Yet these kids do have a great sense of “life” and values. Okay, I kid. These kids have no clue about life. They think it’s weird I am not from Richmond, that I did not go to private school and that I am 25 (which to them is OLD). So it is insane to say the least. However, they do give me a good sense of humor every day!
    Jessamy @ In the Words of an Asian recently posted..Lazy and Pizza

That does sound like a fabulous mtg!!

I am a personal health coach for an insurance company by day –full-time & a fitness instructor by morning & night 😉 I also blog & have coaching services for disordered eating recovery (as I am certified & struggled for 7+ years & am recovered now & LOVE helping the women I coach!) I am busy, but I too feel VERY lucky to be where I am. I had a bunch of failures to get where I am, but I never gave up!
    Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..BodyPUMP Release 84 Review

Glad to hear you are loving your new job, it sounds exciting!

I am and Ultrasound Tech and my favorite thing about my job is my opportunity to help people figure out what’s going on with their insides…Of course, I also enjoy showing couples their babies! :) Can’t wait to find out what you’re having Courtney!

• Courtney says

Awww, how fun!! Mannnn, I wish you could come give me an ultrasound so you could tell me what we’re having, lol. I can’t WAIT to find out!!!

31. Patty says

I work 2 very different jobs. My 9-5 job I work as a Graphic Designer. I spend my day being creative designing web sites, fliers, logos, etc. I love being able to use my creativity;every day is a new project. The only downfall is being at a desk all day. To balance that I also work as an EMT, EMS instructor and CPR instructor. Those jobs defiently keep me on my toes but they don’t feel like work, it feels more like a hobby. Emergency medicine is an ever changing field so I love to be able to keep up on new ideas, then turn around and teach them to my students.

32. Juile says

I work in public relations and marketing communications at an agency – super fast paced, every day is different so I am a pretty happy camper most days. Just browsing through the comments, we eat at our desks all the time, especially since we are a small company, it seems like most everyone does! So happy to hear you are loving your job!!!

I love hearing all the different jobs people do out there. So fun! I’m a registered nurse but am working as a nanny. It’s generally a pretty great gig (most of the time!). I love the flexibility, that I get to wear comfy clothes every day and that I’m out in the fresh air a lot of the time. It’s also pretty great birth control 😉
    Fizz @fizzsbizz recently posted..Holiday Flip!

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who loves plain Cheerios. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Multigrain and Peanut Butter versions, but there is just something so simple and tasty about the plain variety!

That cashew butter looks awesome. Where do you buy it from? Hopefully you do not have to eliminate cashews from your diet! That would be muy no bueno!! :(
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..WIAW: January 16, 2013

35. Nicole says

Your job sounds incredible….and the meeting that you attended – those are things I like to plan! (That used to be part of my job….but not since the economy took a turn in 2008/2009….)

I’m so glad you work for an awesome company! Makes the day so much happier!!

I used to work for a large software company as a marketing coordinator but quit about 4 months back to return to study nutritional therapy which I’m loving (I wasn’t a fan of the really corporate environment, after two years I’d had my fill!) I’m hoping to work from home when I’m qualified. At the moment I do some marketing work for a couple of companies from home :)
    Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..The first of many sandwiches

I am an administrative assistant at Christ Community Church in Rochester, MN. Before that I worked at Walmart for 12 years, as a Zone Merchandise Supervisor. I did get to get to go to the Annual Shareholders Meeting down in Arkansas and that was awesome. It was three days filled with a vendors fair,meetings, tours of the first walmart and the home office and lots of concerts. I think I saw 10 big name artists in those three days. Also, there was the “big” shareholders meeting. That had employees from all over the world and the CEO’s and other “higher ups” were all there. It was a pretty cool experience.

38. Juls says

I love my job! I started about six months ago as a counselor on an inpatient psychiatric unit. Definitely challenging but I have great coworkers!

I work in the marketing department of a beach resort. It’s a lot of fun! I love it because there’s always something different going on and I get to interact with a lot of different people. I also do all of our social media (which I love), develop fun promotions and work with outside partners. All fun stuff :)

40. Susan Comer says

Courtney,
    I think you are so cute and I was so happy to hear that you are pregnant!! I would listen to your new dr about the food allergies. Nut allgeries are on the rise in young children. I have 3 sons and my middle son has a serious peanut and tree nut allergies. I avoided all nuts during my 3rd pregnancy and my 3rd son has no nut allergies. My allergist suggested it especially during the last trimester and during nursing. It well worth it.

Thanks for sharing what kind of work you’re doing right now … I had been curious, but I had thought that maybe I had just missed the post where you explained everything! 😉

I’m a school psychologist for a school district. Lots of perks, including great work hours, plenty of vacation time, and good benefits. But the “cons” for working in a school district vs. the business world are things like you don’t have the opportunity for promotion, and you don’t have fun events like you’re describing! 😉
    Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Bourbon Street Chicken

42. Tyler Soj says

I’m a 6th grade language arts teacher. I became a reader about 6th months ago; I love your blog! So excited for you! I can’t wait until my husband and I have kiddos! :)

43. Kate says

First of all, LOVE your blog. You are adorable! I’ve been reading for a while now and you have given me so many recipe ideas. :) I love this post because of your talk about the big meeting! I have been working for one of the biggest pharmaceutical companies in the world for a year now, and I absolutely love it. I’m a sales rep, and our meetings are seriously amazing. Ever seen the movie Love & Other Drugs? Yeah..that company, and those meetings ;-). I love it and getting to meet people from all over the country is great! I’m so happy you’re loving your job, that’s a great situation to be in!

44. Laura says

I work as a caseworker for kids with autism. I love the kids & I love my company I work for. It’s really small & I set my own hours which is just great, especially with two little kiddos at home!

I am glad you love your job, it would be sad to go off to work everyday to a job you did not like, or work with people you did not like. I am a Center Director of an Early Learning Center. I love my job, I get to make a difference in the lives of children from age 6 weeks to 12 years old and their families. I started 17 and a half years ago as a teacher and was promoted to a Center Director two years later and I am still with the company. It can be hard but very rewarding.
    Celeste @ HealthfulMindBodyandSoul.com recently posted..Goals for 2013

46. Kristen says

Im a tax accountant at a very well known toilet/faucet/engine/generator company! I totally love my job and especially the fact that we’re world wide and I talk to people around the world every day. I talked to a co-worker in Scottland yesterday! I feel soooo lucky to have this job because its just so amazing!

47. Marie says

I’m a registered dietitian at a culinary consulting/foodservice marketing firm in Chicago. I’m glad you’re enjoying your new job! It sounds like a great one :-)

I am a teacher and I started working at a new school in September. I absolutely love where I am now because everyone I work with is very helpful, supportive, and fun.
    Katy recently posted..Wingin’ It

IT’s always so nice to hear about people loving their jobs! You are blessed :D. And although I’m not a fan of desk jobs because I’m more on the ‘active, work with people, hands-on’ end of the scale, I’m currently working part-time at a med. office. I’m just trying to remember that this is a blessing and I can’t complain even though it’s not even my forte! xP My favorite part about it is when I get to talk to the patients and interact with them one on one. As long as I get my people interaction in, I’m pretty good!
    Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..35 Years of Blessing

I’m a Systems Administrator (computer geek!). I spend my days fixing and maintaining servers and other network components. I’m also a kickboxing instructor, which I LOVE. It’s a great stress reliever after being cooped up behind a computer all day.
    Cait @ Chicago Girl Fitness recently posted..Good & Bad

I do marketing for a book publishing company. I LOVE my job because I’ve always been a lifelong reader and to have the chance to pair my lifelong love of books with the passion I just discovered in college — marketing — is truly incredible. My company specializes in special ed books, and meeting teaches who proclaim they LOVE our books and that our books make them a better teacher makes me feel so, so good inside. Doing work that matters is amazing!

I’m the Large Party Coordinator at a busy restaurant/brewpub. I deal mostly with rehearsal dinners, birthday parties, retirement parties, etc. so it’s nice to get to work with people during such fun/exciting times. Seeing their parties go off as planned is such a joy. I’ve worked at this particular restaurant for 9 years, but just transitioned into this role in August and I’m loving it. Great people, great benefits and a complimentary trip to Mexico in February…couldn’t ask for much more.
    During my quick stint in the “corporate” world, I experienced a huge meeting similar to yours, though only with people from across the country rather than across the world. It was a pretty cool experience even if I wasn’t crazy about the job itself.
    So glad you’re enjoying your new job. I hated the job I had during the majority of our wedding planning and I know how important it is to love what you do every day when you have such a happy event coming up! :)
    Trisha recently posted..Xplor

53. Carolyn says

What a fun evening! My husband works in the business world so I often get to enjoy perks and trips similar to that:). I am a part time high school math teacher and a full time mom to three little boys. I am curious as to why you decided not to teach anymore. I at times feel like I would like to do something besides teaching but don’t know what that would be and if I would regret it:(. Anyway just interested! Take care.

Courtney, your job sounds absolutely awesome! :) I am in my first “big girl” job and last week, we had an annual meeting with everyone in our industry in the entire city and it was very impressive with flashy lights and a giant podium…much like yours! I totally understand the excitement :)
    Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted..Chili Lime Garlic Shrimp

I like my job- I don’t love it, don’t hate it.

I work in fundraising for the Boston Children’s Chorus. I think my favorite part of the job is listening to the kids sing and hearing their stories about their time in BCC. So dealing with donors and the pressure to raise money can be difficult. Not to mention fitting everything in to a work week- there’s only 9 of us on the administrative staff!! But I get to be surrounded by music and that’s a wonderful thing.
    Amanda B. recently posted..PPNF Launch!