Totally Unexpected

From start to finish, yesterday was just an absolutely fantastic day. I feel like I’ve been saying this almost every weekend, which just makes me feel so fortunate for all of the good that I have in my life.

Last time we chatted, I told you all that Jay was in the process of making me a pancake breakfast and, well, he certainly delivered.

He wound up following this recipe exactly, and WOW, were they awesome. I’d even say they were almost as good as Café Madison. Smile

He also made a little “makeshift raspberry sauce,” which was simply some raspberry jam that was heated up in the microwave. Easy and yummy.

We actually didn’t wind up eating “breakfast” until almost noon, so after that, we spent a few hours doing a few things around the house before heading out for the evening.

Our first stop was the mall. I had told Jay that I reeeeeally wanted a new watch for my birthday, and although he tried looking himself and picking out one, he said he was having a really hard time. Instead, he said he’d bring me so I could pick out my own…no problem with me!

After searching at a few different stores, I found my winner at the Fossil store.

I am absolutely in LOVE with this watch, which is the Stella design. I’m so glad I found one, since my last watch (also a Fossil) was probably 7-8 years old and was just getting old.

While we were at the mall, I also wound up stopping into NY & Company and snagged an amazing deal on a new winter coat, which I’ve desperately needed.

Check out those savings!

After the mall, it was time for our Pre-Mexico party with the Mexico crew!

Yes, you read that right. Winking smile

Our friends Brook and Andrea invited us all over for a Mexico-inspired dinner, to get us all psyched for our upcoming trip. Dinner included lots of bean dip, chicken enchiladas, rice, and chips with salsa.

Andrea makes a serious Mexican meal. Seriously, SO good!

Of course, there was also dessert…peanut butter cookies from Mal and chocolate chip cookies from Sarah.

I had just tried a piece of one of the chocolate chip cookies and was about to go for a peanut butter one, when suddenly the lights were turned off and I was being presented with lit candles atop this amazing masterpiece…

I couldn’t believe it…they had a cake just for my birthday week! It was totally unexpected, and super sweet, and just reminded me once again of how lucky I am to have my friends.

But really…this CAKE. It was a chocolate chip cookie ice cream cake, made with chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream (I’m pretty sure she used this recipe).

I’d never had anything like it, but my goddddddd was it good.

After dessert, the guys wound up playing some card games at the table, while us girls worked off some of our dessert while playing Just Dance 4 (some of those songs give a serious arm workout!).

Around midnight, we called it a night and headed on home for the evening, but yeah…definitely a great day from start to finish. Smile

Comments

1. Lynn says

Good call on the Stella! I’ve got three different colors of that style that I love! And NY&CO *always* has great coupons and sales with lots of cute stuff. Sign up for their emails, it’s ridiculous.
    You’re friends are too cute! Awesome of them on all accounts.

I love your watch. I own two fossil watches that are somewhat similar to yours and I get compliments on them ALL the time. I am sure you will, too!

It looks like your pre-Mexico/birthday party was a great time. I love the addition of chocolate to the peanut butter cookies. It gives them a little something extra! And that cake….WOW! I cannot believe that that is homemade. Very impressive.
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Peanut Butter Coconut Chickpeas + Cauliflower Rice

Again, loving the NY&Co sales. I want the mint green coat so, so bad!

You’re making me want cookie dough and it’s not even noon! That cake looks incredibly good! Birthday weeks are the best and you have a very, very good husband. Lucky, lucky lady!
    Lauren recently posted..Friday Favorites

OMG that cake! I need to be friends with your friends. I think I know what I want for my birthday now…. I just had a late pancake breakfast. Sometimes those are the best kinds! It sounds like you and Jay had a wonderful day. And finished it off with some great friends who have good taste 😉
    Sarah @PickyRunner recently posted..Preseason Training

What a wonderful day! And that cake….I die! How exciting that Mexico is coming up so fast!!!! I can’t wait to relive it through you!! I was just looking at my photos last night actually and missed every single moment of it all!!! :) Say hi to those weird little monkey animals for me. 😉
    Lauren recently posted..Friday Confessions

Holy.wow. What an amazing day. You’re definitely a lucky girl, but you deserve it 😀 That watch is gorgeous, the dinner looks delicious, and that cake… omigosh I die. I used to love getting the ice cream cakes from DQ for my birthday, until allergies kind of cut that one short, but this looks like it would definitely make a good replacement… it just makes me sad that my birthday already passed!
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... sunday morning cereal .

My sister got me a gold fossil watch for my graduation and I love it! It definitely comes in handy when I’m sitting in class and can’t whip my phone out to check the time!

I saw your instagram of that cookie ice cream cake and have been craving ice cream ever since! Good thing my birthday is in less than two months.
    Nicole @ Sugar Coated Sisters recently posted..Coyote Hills Half Marathon, 2013

Love your watch, super cute!

Yeah, I use to work at NY&C… the savings really add up (which is great)! Plus if you work there, you can get the employee discount plus the savings!

Love the look of that cake, might have to give it a try! 😉
    Jessamy @ In the Words of an Asian recently posted..Currently

• Courtney says

I don’t know! Haha, I’ve had this weird feeling which I started noticing today, but I have no idea. It’ll be in my baby tooth post tomorrow 😉

Appreciate your each alternate insightful site. The place different may perhaps I am that type of information printed in a real great approach? I’ve got a task that I am at the moment taking care of, and I are actually within the peek away regarding similarly info.

Trackbacks