Totally Unexpected

by Courtney on January 27, 2013

From start to finish, yesterday was just an absolutely fantastic day. I feel like I’ve been saying this almost every weekend, which just makes me feel so fortunate for all of the good that I have in my life.

Last time we chatted, I told you all that Jay was in the process of making me a pancake breakfast and, well, he certainly delivered.

He wound up following this recipe exactly, and WOW, were they awesome. I’d even say they were almost as good as Café Madison. Smile

He also made a little “makeshift raspberry sauce,” which was simply some raspberry jam that was heated up in the microwave. Easy and yummy.

We actually didn’t wind up eating “breakfast” until almost noon, so after that, we spent a few hours doing a few things around the house before heading out for the evening.

Our first stop was the mall. I had told Jay that I reeeeeally wanted a new watch for my birthday, and although he tried looking himself and picking out one, he said he was having a really hard time. Instead, he said he’d bring me so I could pick out my own…no problem with me!

After searching at a few different stores, I found my winner at the Fossil store.

I am absolutely in LOVE with this watch, which is the Stella design. I’m so glad I found one, since my last watch (also a Fossil) was probably 7-8 years old and was just getting old.

While we were at the mall, I also wound up stopping into NY & Company and snagged an amazing deal on a new winter coat, which I’ve desperately needed.

Check out those savings!

After the mall, it was time for our Pre-Mexico party with the Mexico crew!

Yes, you read that right. Winking smile

Our friends Brook and Andrea invited us all over for a Mexico-inspired dinner, to get us all psyched for our upcoming trip. Dinner included lots of bean dip, chicken enchiladas, rice, and chips with salsa.

Andrea makes a serious Mexican meal. Seriously, SO good!

Of course, there was also dessert…peanut butter cookies from Mal and chocolate chip cookies from Sarah.

I had just tried a piece of one of the chocolate chip cookies and was about to go for a peanut butter one, when suddenly the lights were turned off and I was being presented with lit candles atop this amazing masterpiece…

I couldn’t believe it…they had a cake just for my birthday week! It was totally unexpected, and super sweet, and just reminded me once again of how lucky I am to have my friends.

But really…this CAKE. It was a chocolate chip cookie ice cream cake, made with chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream (I’m pretty sure she used this recipe).

I’d never had anything like it, but my goddddddd was it good.

After dessert, the guys wound up playing some card games at the table, while us girls worked off some of our dessert while playing Just Dance 4 (some of those songs give a serious arm workout!).

Around midnight, we called it a night and headed on home for the evening, but yeah…definitely a great day from start to finish. Smile

1 Khushboo January 27, 2013 at 10:30 am

OMG look at that cake….choc chip cookies & ice cream are my ultimate weaknesses- no wordsssss!
Khushboo recently posted..Four for Friday

2 Cait January 27, 2013 at 10:34 am

Wow that cake looks unreal! I def would love to try and make it sometime! What a sweet surprise!
Cait recently posted..Sunday Social

3 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 27, 2013 at 10:39 am

Oh my gosh, that cake looks amazing!! My husband has a birthday coming up and that would be perfect!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Yes, Please Pump Me Full Of Hormones!

4 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill January 27, 2013 at 10:40 am

I don’t go to New York and Company often, but they always have great deals whenever I shop there. That cake has me craving ice cream!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Current

5 Lynn January 27, 2013 at 10:41 am

Good call on the Stella! I’ve got three different colors of that style that I love! And NY&CO *always* has great coupons and sales with lots of cute stuff. Sign up for their emails, it’s ridiculous.
You’re friends are too cute! Awesome of them on all accounts.

6 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 27, 2013 at 10:49 am

That cake looks AMAZING and like it could be some pretty strong competition to the ice cream cakes I’ve been knowing to make… ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..The Defining Decade

7 Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty January 27, 2013 at 10:56 am

That cake will be in my heaven someday—I love my cookie dough!
Enjoy your birthday week sweetheart!
Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty recently posted..Baked Vegetable Marinara

8 Clare @ Fitting It All In January 27, 2013 at 10:58 am

ummm that looks like the most amazing cake ever! how sweet of your friends!
and i’ve totally had pre-trip parties before:)
love the watch – hope you birthday week continues to be amazing!
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Generation Know Questions {VLOG}

9 Katie @ Skinny Minnie Moves January 27, 2013 at 11:03 am

Holy cow does that ice cream cookie cake look amazing!

I love the watch too. I’ve been wanting a pretty “mans type watch” to go with outfits. I use my heart rate monitor as my regular watch every day
Katie @ Skinny Minnie Moves recently posted..Career Minded Gal

10 Lisa January 27, 2013 at 11:09 am

I kind of love the fact you had a pre Mexico party. Too awesome. Those pancakes look awesome! But, the cake looks even better!
Lisa recently posted..11 Fun Facts

11 Ashley January 27, 2013 at 11:13 am

That birthday cake looks amazing!!! Btw love ny&c, I bought a jacket there last year around the same time for about $55. :)

12 Danica @ It's Progression January 27, 2013 at 11:14 am

That cake looks fantastic! obviously. Glad you had such a fun day!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..workouts 1/20 – 1/26: sick week, but healthy now!

13 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 27, 2013 at 11:17 am

What a great day!! Wonderful breakfast, beautiful desserts, friends, a gorgeous watch and a sale! BINGO! Man you hit the all girl Jackpot!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Oven Roasted Tomatoes with Balsamic Glaze / Weekly Recap

14 Ellie@Fit for the Soul January 27, 2013 at 11:19 am

wowwza what a unique and fancy looking cake! haha, I’ve never thought of making one like that :D And Fossil! I’ve never bought anything there but everything in that store including the watches, just draw me in…and I never want to leave.
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Selah and Headache Be Gone

15 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 27, 2013 at 11:20 am

I love your watch. I own two fossil watches that are somewhat similar to yours and I get compliments on them ALL the time. I am sure you will, too!

It looks like your pre-Mexico/birthday party was a great time. I love the addition of chocolate to the peanut butter cookies. It gives them a little something extra! And that cake….WOW! I cannot believe that that is homemade. Very impressive.
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Peanut Butter Coconut Chickpeas + Cauliflower Rice

16 Brittany @ DulceVie January 27, 2013 at 11:22 am

1) I looove that watch 2) It looks like you had an awesome night 3) That cookie cake looks soooo good!

17 Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire January 27, 2013 at 11:22 am

I LOVE that watch! It’s gorgeous! And now I’m craving ice cream cake for lunch.
Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire recently posted..Sleepless Sunday

18 My Neon Running Shoes January 27, 2013 at 11:24 am

Those pancakes look amazing and so does that cake! Happy Early Birthday!!!
My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..The HARDEST job in the world

19 Lauren January 27, 2013 at 11:27 am

Again, loving the NY&Co sales. I want the mint green coat so, so bad!

You’re making me want cookie dough and it’s not even noon! That cake looks incredibly good! Birthday weeks are the best and you have a very, very good husband. Lucky, lucky lady!
Lauren recently posted..Friday Favorites

20 Jenna @ Crazy Healthy Fit January 27, 2013 at 11:42 am

Oh my..this post had me drooling! First of all, mexican is my FAVORITE food type. Second, I am SO jealous that you are headed to mexico. Third, I won’t eat any type of cake besides ice cream cake. Ah, drool!
Jenna @ Crazy Healthy Fit recently posted..Computer Vision Syndrome: Learn More About Symptoms of CVS

21 Danielle @ Truffles n' Treadmills January 27, 2013 at 11:45 am

That cake looks delicious! That’s great that you have such fun friends who like to surprise you!
Danielle @ Truffles n’ Treadmills recently posted..A Solution to Treadmill Boredom

22 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 27, 2013 at 11:48 am

Woah, that cake looks AMAZING! I love the watch! I think I have the same one — or one that’s very similar — in rose gold! I actually got it around this time last year for my birthday!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..NuNaturals Giveaway

23 Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 27, 2013 at 11:52 am

Oh my goodness, that chocolate chip cookie ice cream cake looks AMAZING!!!!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..The Murtaugh List

24 Sarah @PickyRunner January 27, 2013 at 11:54 am

OMG that cake! I need to be friends with your friends. I think I know what I want for my birthday now…. I just had a late pancake breakfast. Sometimes those are the best kinds! It sounds like you and Jay had a wonderful day. And finished it off with some great friends who have good taste ;)
Sarah @PickyRunner recently posted..Preseason Training

25 Lauren January 27, 2013 at 12:00 pm

What a wonderful day! And that cake….I die! How exciting that Mexico is coming up so fast!!!! I can’t wait to relive it through you!! I was just looking at my photos last night actually and missed every single moment of it all!!! :) Say hi to those weird little monkey animals for me. ;)
Lauren recently posted..Friday Confessions

26 Jessica @ Prayers and Apples January 27, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Girl, you and your friends always seem to have the best times – and food!! …and how great is saving $ at NY&Co?! They always have the greatest sales/deals!
Jessica @ Prayers and Apples recently posted..Matthew 7:15-20

27 Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well January 27, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Oh my gosh, that is a CAKE! So jealous ;) Ya’ll are gonna have such a fun time in Mexico, take lots of pictures!
Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well recently posted..I Don’t Always Have It All Together

28 Allison January 27, 2013 at 12:43 pm

That watch is adorable and that cake looks fantastic! Glad you’re having a good weekend and birthday week :)
Allison recently posted..The Ideal Saturday

29 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 27, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Holy.wow. What an amazing day. You’re definitely a lucky girl, but you deserve it :D That watch is gorgeous, the dinner looks delicious, and that cake… omigosh I die. I used to love getting the ice cream cakes from DQ for my birthday, until allergies kind of cut that one short, but this looks like it would definitely make a good replacement… it just makes me sad that my birthday already passed!
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... sunday morning cereal .

30 Nicole @ Sugar Coated Sisters January 27, 2013 at 12:59 pm

My sister got me a gold fossil watch for my graduation and I love it! It definitely comes in handy when I’m sitting in class and can’t whip my phone out to check the time!

I saw your instagram of that cookie ice cream cake and have been craving ice cream ever since! Good thing my birthday is in less than two months.
Nicole @ Sugar Coated Sisters recently posted..Coyote Hills Half Marathon, 2013

31 Jessie January 27, 2013 at 1:29 pm

I love that watch! I really want to get that one or possibly a white one BUT I just bought a cat from the humane society so the money I saved up is now gone ;) haha
Jessie recently posted..Link up: Fun Facts

32 Kristen @ notsodomesticated January 27, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Um, ok, that cake? I need that, NOW. Wow, I am so impressed by your friends! And I love that Jay made you pancakes. You are one blessed lady. ;) Hope you have a great birthday week!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Red Velvet Blondies (with my favorite cream cheese frosting!)

33 Michelle@Peachy Palate January 27, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Great start to the Birthday celebrations! The cake looks amazing! As do Jay’s pancakes…that should be his weekend job from now on!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Giving yourself a boost

34 Blogging Runner January 27, 2013 at 3:05 pm

That cake looks AMAZING and what a great idea! I wish I could eat something like that every night ;)!
Blogging Runner recently posted..Psoas, So What?

35 Angela January 27, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Too fun! What a great surprise, and that cake looks delicious!

36 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats January 27, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Mexican food, shopping and an ice cream cookie cake?! I am pretty sure you just described my perfect day.
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..5 miles and too many Lucky Charms

37 Alli January 27, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Happy Birthday week!! I need that birthday cake asap..looks delish :)

38 Jessamy @ In the Words of an Asian January 27, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Love your watch, super cute!

Yeah, I use to work at NY&C… the savings really add up (which is great)! Plus if you work there, you can get the employee discount plus the savings!

Love the look of that cake, might have to give it a try! ;)
Jessamy @ In the Words of an Asian recently posted..Currently

39 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun January 27, 2013 at 7:23 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE that watch!!! It is beautiful! I am so jealous of your trip to Mexico! My husband and I just planned our vacation and I am so excited!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..First Week of Weight Lifting and Sunday Shopping

40 Brandi January 27, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Oh my goodness, those desserts look amazing! I am definitely going to do that to my peanut butter cookies the next time I make them!
Brandi recently posted..Birthday Week Comes to an End.

41 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine January 27, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Your cake looks SOO good – so do the pancakes. Happy Birthday Week!
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..New Venture

42 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health January 27, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I bet that baby was flying around in there after you ate that ice cream cake!
Have you started to feel anything yet?

Happy Birthday week! I am turning 29 this year too. Can’t wait to be 29, said no one ever… :)
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Quinoa Chocolate Chip Cookies

43 Courtney January 27, 2013 at 10:08 pm

I don’t know! Haha, I’ve had this weird feeling which I started noticing today, but I have no idea. It’ll be in my baby tooth post tomorrow ;)

44 Annette@FitnessPerks January 27, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Whoa–what a sweet surprise! That cake looks AMAZING– yumm.
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Dark Chocolate Almond Butter No-Bake Cookies

45 Bek @ Crave January 28, 2013 at 2:23 am

Aw very spoilt. Great friends and that cake looks so original!
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Will A Taste Morph Into A Binge

46 Tara | Treble in the Kitchen January 28, 2013 at 5:09 am

How fun!!! That cake looks seriously delicious :) And, your watch!! Love it…so classic and pretty :)
Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted..Weird Start to the Day

47 Emily @ Hungry Delights January 29, 2013 at 12:15 am

Love the fossil watch! Also the cake looks insanely good – cookie heaven!
Emily @ Hungry Delights recently posted..My Workout Schedule

48 bsa philmont October 11, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Appreciate your each alternate insightful site. The place different may perhaps I am that type of information printed in a real great approach? I’ve got a task that I am at the moment taking care of, and I are actually within the peek away regarding similarly info.