Baby Tooth: 38 Weeks (and Nursery Before & After)

Alright…I’m about ready to get this show on the road!

38 Weeks

Baby Tooth is just over 38 weeks today and is about the size of a pumpkin (yikes, that’s a scary thought)…and mama is ready. Like, more than ready. Buuuut, we’re still holdin’ strong over here!

Oh, well hello there, big baby belly. Winking smile

Here’s what Baby Tooth has been up to this week:

• Baby Tooth weighs about 6.8 pounds (although probably more than that if the ultrasound was correct!) and is over 19 1/2 inches long.
  • He has a firm grasp and his organs have matured and are ready for life outside the womb…aka, anytime now Baby Tooth. Anytime.

And here’s what’s been happening with me this past week:

Weight gained: Not sure, but my guess is maybe 29 or 30 pounds.

Workouts: I have been able to do some exercises in the pool, which have been awesome. Squats, lunges, pushups and tricep dips on the ladder…oh my gosh, it feels SO great to move. I’ve also been doing a few laps, but really, I’m not a swimmer so my “laps” are me scurrying around the pool with my doggy paddle. I still try to do extra walking when I can, but that’s about it.

Labor Signs: Still some contractions and/or Braxton Hicks, but nothing that shows any sort of a pattern. Some people are telling me it looks like I’ve “dropped,” but who knows.

Symptoms: Lots of the same…

• Low back pain, pelvic pressure, and menstrual-like cramps
  • Braxton Hicks and/or contractions
  • Fatigue
  • Itchy belly/skin
  • Sore feet – when I wake up in the morning is the worst
  • Some swellings in hands, feet, and ankles
  • Lots of potty breaks
  • General “I’m ready to get this little one outta me” feeling Winking smile

Movement: He’s definitely still on the move, but his movements have slowed down a bit. Hopefully that means he’s settling in?!?

Food Aversions: Nada.

Food Cravings: None really that I can think of and/or blame on pregnancy. Watermelon sherbet is a favorite as of late, but I’d be all for that anyways right now with this heat. Food in general just doesn’t sound super appetizing these days and I don’t get as excited for meals as I’m used to.

Sleep: A little better this week, actually! Minus the having to get up to use the bathroom 1-2 times a night, sleep has actually been pretty decent…which is surprising because it is not all that easy to get comfy lying down in bed these days.

Stretch marks? Still stretch mark free! We’re soooo close. Smile

Miss Anything? All the same stuff as I’ve mentioned before.

Fun and/or Interesting Things from the Week: At my appointment last week, I found out that I was about 1/2 centimeter dilated and about 50% effaced…aka, not a whole lot going on up in there! Although I know things can change overnight, so that really isn’t much of an indicator of anything…or so my doctor tells me.

Belly Button in or out? We’ll say neutral. As you can see in the picture above, it doesn’t really stick out at all, but my indent is just about gone.

Wedding rings on or off? Still on, but snug in the heat.

Happy or moody most of the time: Despite the fact that, after reading through a bunch of this post I sound miserable, I’ve actually been super happy! I’ve absolutely been LOVING the time that Jay and I have been spending with each other, and I’m finding myself laughing harder and more often than normal when we’re together.

Often times though, for whatever reason, if I find myself laughing hysterically at something, I’ll suddenly get this weird wave of sadness/emotion that makes me want to cry. It’s the weirdest thing…and most days I still feel like I could cry at the drop of a hat, despite the fact that I really am happy. I guess I’ll blame it on my hormones and nerves, which are definitely starting to kick in a bit more as D-day draws closer!

New Baby Items: None that I can remember? Then again, that’s not saying much…pregnancy brain is a real thing, my friends.

Nursery Sneak Peek: So I mentioned this earlier, but the nursery isn’t totally done. Most of the things I want to put on the walls won’t happen until he’s here, but despite the almost-naked walls, everything else is just about ready to go, so I figured I’d share a few pics!

First, here’s a look at what we started with…

A messy spare room, filled with so much more than we ever realized.

And now, here’s what it looks like today…

Even though Baby Tooth won’t be sleeping in it right away (he’ll most likely be with us in our room in his rock ‘n’ play sleeper or pack ‘n’ play) his permanent sleeping quarters are still just about ready for him…I just need to re-wash the cover on there now which has a nice corner filled with Cody hair. Oy.

Our book corner is ready to go, with our rain gutter bookshelves that I’m so in love with.

The closet is filled and certainly not organized like crazy, (nor does it have everything where I think I’ll want it), but I know we’ll find a groove eventually.

The changing area is ready to go.

And his bag is packed!

I really, REALLY can’t wait to see what it looks like once everything comes together with the pictures and wall art I’m planning on putting up. We have already booked a photographer for a hospital session (right after he’s born) and a newborn session, so I know I’ll have some great pics to choose from to add to the bare walls. I’ll be sure to show you guys down the road once they’re all up!

Looking Forward To: Getting this show on the road!! Send me some positive thoughts that Baby Tooth decides to make an appearance sooner, rather than later. Yesterday, I had three different people tell me that they thought I was going to go late and/or need to be induced and I was like, “Mannnn, reeeeeeally?! Don’t tell me that!”

Jay was hoping that he’d show up this past Sunday (he liked the idea of 7/7) but that was obviously a no-go. It’s just such a waiting/guessing game now at this point, which makes me both excited and incredibly anxious at the same time…

What do you guys think? When will Baby Tooth make his arrival?? Smile

Look at you hot mama! Did your mama go early with you and your brother? I always think moms are a good indicator of what will happen with you for some reason. :) My mom was one day early with all of us. Buuuut if he does want to come late, I heard July 23 is a great day to be born. :)

2. Nicole says

Well since there is SOMETHING going on….be ready :). SO exciting! I went at 38 weeks! Good luck! BTW…We ended up putting our daughter in her crib after a few days because I felt like I could see her better on the monitor than if she was right next to me…I guess bc you can see them in the dark? Just a thought! Rock n’ play was great for naps…way too low for next to our bed though..

3. Danielle says

You look beautiful! You really are glowing!!! And dont listen to anyone…I think you will go early! 😉

Everything looks beautiful, Courtney!!! How exciting is it to get that little bag packed for the hospital :)

I think you’ll go EARLY! My mom gave birth to me 13 days after my due date, so I worried I’d be overdue with my little guy (who actually made an appearance 3 days early).

Maaaybe Baby Tooth and the Royal Baby will share birthdays?!!!
    Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..Ridicu-Pics #1

You are still as glowing as ever and look amazing!! I’m hoping for your sake that Baby Tooth comes sooner rather than later. Your due date is my birthday, but I was actually due on July 4th! I can’t believe they let my mom go that far past her due date (but that was also back in 82, things have definitely changed!). I hope that you have a flawless finale to your pregnancy and I am looking forward to reading about life with a newborn :)

Aww so cute! You did a great job!!! :) And he might be in that crib sooner than you think. We figured Addie would be in our room for a while, but she made so much noise when she slept! I couldn’t get any sleep that way. Plus, the “moms on call” book I follow said that the baby can smell you when he/she is in the same room, increasing the chance that they’ll wake up and want to eat. So Addie was in her crib by about 3 weeks. Of course, EVERY family and baby is different!! 😉 You’ll find what works for you!! So excited for you!
    Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Entertaining an infant.

7. Krystan says

Your nursery is adorable! I love the colors and the rain gutter book shelf (totally stealing that idea, lol). The waiting game is definitely hard – I thought after all this time, the end would go by so quickly, but alas each day seems to drag. Try not to anticipate too much (yea right, I know cuz I could never follow that advice either) All I did was focus on my due date and here I am now, I day OVERDUE! Trying to analyze what contractions could be for real or wishing my water would just break and be done with it is so exhausting on top of the uncomfortableness that is being 40+ weeks pregnant! I’m going to predict the 20th for you. Good luck!

You are SO beautiful!! Definitely glowing. I commend you for ROCKING that belly in the summer heat. Gabriella was a fall baby, so thankfully I wasn’t too big in the summer- only a bitty belly– I cannot imagine an almost ready pregnant belly in the summer heat. I’m SO glad you guys have a pool you can enjoy. Does baby tooth love it?? Gabriella would flip flop all around whenever I went swimming…and she came out a water baby. I CANNOT get her out of the water. She dunks herself- I mean full on DUNK- head completely under water & LOVES it. My little weirdo 😉
    CANNOT wait to see his beautiful little face!! you are SO SO SO close!! Keep it up Momma!! XO

I am so excited for you Courtney! You are glowing in those top 2 pictures, I can tell you are so ready to meet this little guy (and when you have him, that means I am just 2 weeks away from my little guy!). Can’t wait for the announcement and to hear his name!!

Girl, you look AMAZING! But I can’t believe how big baby tooth has gotten in these past few weeks!! I bet you’re getting so excited, soon you and Jay will add a little baby to your trio :) I can’t wait to read all about it!!

11. Melanie says

You look amazingggg!!! love the nursery also, great work! My guess is the 19th for Baby Tooths arrival :) Best wishes to you!!

12. Shannon says

Almost there! You wanna be careful with the itchiness :-\ My SIL is due next week but they’re inducing her tomorrow because she has had itching too. I guess its a problem with her liver. Make sure your healthcare provider knows about it. Good luck with the next 2 or more (hopefully not) weeks! I had a July baby 2 years ago… soooooooo hot!

• Courtney says

Interesting?! I did let my doc know at my last appointment and they checked me out saying all looked good. Apparently just from the skin stretching!

Oh I TOTALLY know how you feel. You probably don’t want to hear this but I ended up going ten days past my due date. The waiting is hard, especially when people around you keep calling, texting, or asking “Any news?” or my favorite, “You’re still pregnant?!?!” Hold strong and let that baby keep growing – bigger babies supposedly sleep better, and my daughter was 7lbs 15oz and is a great sleeper and eater :)
    I also empathize with you about the feet hurting in the morning. Mine were so tender and hurt walking on the tile bathroom floor in the middle of the night.

• Courtney says

Haha, yes!! Gotta love the, “oh man, you’re still here?!?” comments. Or the ones from people telling you they think you’re going to need to be induced at 42 weeks…those are juuuust lovely 😉

For some reason, I think you’re going to be on time. I think things will get started all at once and just get the ball rolling! Like you said, things can change quickly overnight! I think it’s great you’re getting a photographer for the birth at the hospital! It’s a great idea since it’s the first photos you’ll have with the little guy 😀

15. Reghan says

I got the membrane sweep they offer at my 39 week appt and my water broke the next day and baby was born at exactly 39 weeks :) I was so ready for him to come out and I think the sweep got things moving. Just an option!
    The nursery looks awesome and so adorable!

16. Nala says

Aww, the nursery room looks so cute and comfy! Baby tooth is certainly lucky! I’m sure you can’t wait to meet your little one!

17. Jen says

The nursery is so cute!! I love browns and blues together.

So, my cousin also just hit 38 weeks last wednesday and by friday she was in labor!
    Maybe you guys are in a similar boat and his arrival is just around the corner!! Here’s hopin’!!

Courtney, I hope that when I get pregnant, I look as fabulous as you do. I’m so 100% serious. More importantly, I cannot imagine how anxiety provoking it must be, not knowing when he’ll get here! I’m sure I’d wake up every morning, like, “Is this it?!” I’m so excited for you!
    Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Myths of a Pixie Cut

19. Casey says

Random question that you may have answered previously…. Did you wash all of his newborn clothes? Also, I think you look fantastic. You’re almost there!

• Courtney says

Thank you! And yes, I did wash all of his clothes first, with the exception of a few newborn outfits that I’m waiting on to make sure he’ll even be able to fit into them!

20. Lisa says

You look great and so does the nursery. And I think it would be adorable if you and Kate Middleton delivered on the same day. :)

You are seriously the pretties pregnant lady! Aaaannnddd, you are about to pop! :-) I know you are SO ready to meet your little man. Your nursery looks great! What a neat idea to have a photographer at the hospital to capture the first moments as a family of 3. I’m sure those photos will be so special. I’m looking forward to seeing them!
    Sarah @ A Refining Adventure recently posted..I’ve Been Holding out on You

If you haven’t done so already I would suggest getting yourself a couple nursing bras now (1-2 sleep ones, 1-2 for daytime). The last thing you will want to do is shop for them with an infant in tow and leaky boobs, lol. I will also tell you that nursing bra sizes are all their own so don’t be surprised when the one that fits is nowhere near the size of your current non nursing bra. Macy’s carries motherhood brand and they are running a buy three get one free sale. Sears also has a small maternity section with bras. Target does as well. Best advice given to me was to make sure it fits on the clasp furthest out so you can adjust inward as your ribs will compress back inward after baby, and since your milk hasn’t come in yet make sure the bra has a little pucker/gapping towards the top by your armpit.

I think you will go early or on-time. I was 1 cm 50% for two weeks. Then 2 cm 50% effaced for a little less than a week. I went 1 wk early with our boy. You want him out? Tell Jay the two of you need to “get busy”. My doctor said “it got you into this, it will help get you out of it…”
    Christy recently posted..Two Months

Best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy, Courtney! I’m sure your baby will be born on exactly the right time, whenever it is! I’m looking forward to having my own child one day, and though I believe it gets difficult, try to enjoy it while it lasts! (Time goes by so quickly, before you know it’ll all be over…) 😉 The nursery is beautiful, and I love the rain gutter book shelves!