WIAW: Our First Duo Trip Out!

by Courtney on August 7, 2013

Well, Lucas and I successfully survived our first duo trip out of the house yesterday!

My and my little man trekked it out to the grocery store, and even though it may have wound up taking us over an hour to actually get out the door, the trip went super smooth. He slept pretty much the whole time we were out, making for one happy mama.

By the time we got back home, I thought for sure he’d be fussing and ready to eat…but nope. He was still passed out.

Tough life, isn’t it? Winking smile

So I actually have a WIAW post for you guys today! This is everything, as always, that I had on Tuesday, so feel free to take a peek!

Breakfast

Cereal combo once again (Multigrain Cheerios + Great Grains Cranberry Almond Crunch) with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and banana slices + an iced coffee.

Yep, this is pretty much how things look around the living room these days. A random assortment of food, baby books, thank you cards, nipple cream, and baby stuff. That’s how I roll right now. Winking smile

Mid-Morning Snack

Our friend Andrea stopped by over the weekend (I think? I can’t keep track of my days) and dropped off some homemade mini quiches and mini donut muffins. Both are absolutely delicious, and I love how I can grab them both quick for a snack. I had a mini quiche yesterday morning, as well as an unpictured mini donut muffin. SO good.

Lunch

Last week, my mom dropped off a variety of meals for us to have and/or freeze, with one of them being some eggplant parmesan. She told me that she didn’t really love how it turned out (it wasn’t technically homemade and didn’t have her awesome sauce) but I said I’d take it anyways.

Unfortunately, she was right and it wasn’t super spectacular. There was a lot of breading so I tried to eat up the eggplant and leave a bunch of the other stuff behind. Ahh well, whatcha gonna do?

Since lunch was sort of a bust, I wound up back out in the kitchen and snacked on some baby carrots with hummus and then an iced oatmeal cookie Clif Z Bar.

Mid-Afternoon Snack

A few hours later I was hungry again so I snacked on (way more than I should have) some of my favorite Target trail mix. Stuff. Is. Dangerous.

Dinner

Last night my in-laws came over for dinner so Jay took care of cooking up a quick dinner of cheeseburgers on the grill and some Alexia tater tots. Another simple, yet delicious meal from the grill. YUM.

Dessert

Didn’t wind up snapping a photo, but a enjoyed a couple scoops of ice cream to top off the evening. Jay and I have actually been enjoying our fair share of ice cream these days…I’m pretty sure we wind up eating it more days than not. Hey…oh well. Smile

Time to go snuggle with my Lucas…I’ll catch you guys later!

1 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries August 7, 2013 at 11:05 am

Awww LOVE that photo of him snoozin’ on the ground. So cute. I love watching Hunter sleep…I could do it all day. :) Glad your first outing together went well! I remember our first outing just the two of us was Hunter’s first visit to the pediatrician. I couldn’t figure out how to loosen the carseat to get Hunter in it (DOH!), so I was freaking out that we were going to be late and have to reschedule. I finally figured it out and we got there just in time, but then his apnea monitor went off in the doctor’s office (false alarm), so I FREAKED again. Ahhh I was a mess that morning. LOL. Sounds like you guys had a much less eventful outing!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #92: Lunch with Annette

2 Amy @ The Little Honey Bee August 7, 2013 at 11:09 am

I’m so glad you had a successful outing! Trail mix is a dangerous thing…
Amy @ The Little Honey Bee recently posted..Sweet Potato & Spinach Mug Cake [WIAW 7]

3 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat August 7, 2013 at 11:11 am

Yay to a successful outing!! Awww…Lucas looks so cute snoozing on the couch! What a cutie pie!

That mini quiche looks super delicious!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..WIAW #9 – Weekend Highlights

4 Kathryn August 7, 2013 at 11:13 am

I would love if Andrea popped by and left us a recipe for her mini quiches. With hubby getting up at 4:30 am, those would be great to make ahead of time, and just heat up for him in the morning.

That first trip out of the house, just the two of you, is quite fun, isn’t it?

5 Alyssa @ life of blyss August 7, 2013 at 11:17 am

This is me still trying to get over how perfect he is.

I love you!!!
Alyssa @ life of blyss recently posted..Moving to Richmond

6 Heather @ Housewife Glamour August 7, 2013 at 11:19 am

So glad your first trip out of the home together went so well! He’s a cutie!
Heather @ Housewife Glamour recently posted..WIAW #20: Healthy = Happy Me

7 Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire August 7, 2013 at 11:24 am

Lucas is seriously adorable! Keep the pictures coming, lady!
Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire recently posted..Kenny Chesney in Atlanta

8 Suzanne @ Mixing It Up August 7, 2013 at 11:30 am

Look at his little long legs!!! Too cute!!!

As I was reading about your mom dropping off food, I couldn’t help but wonder just how much they are loving Lucas!!! I bet they never want to leave with him being the first precious grand baby!!!
Suzanne @ Mixing It Up recently posted..What I Ate Weekend

9 Emily @ The Good Era August 7, 2013 at 11:30 am

Glad to hear your first trip went so well! Babies have such a tough life ;)
Emily @ The Good Era recently posted..Take Time Tuesday

10 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope August 7, 2013 at 11:30 am

I’m glad your first trip with Lucas went well! He is too cute. Love his little monkey socks! :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Organization & My Bachelorette Reaction!…

11 susan August 7, 2013 at 11:32 am

Love the mini quiches. Great that your friends and family are taking care of you so well with food and treats! I was starving the first few weeks postpartum (or at least felt that way). ;-)
susan recently posted..What I Ate Yesterday

12 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers August 7, 2013 at 11:37 am

I swear Lucas looks cuter in every single picture you post! What an adorable little man you have!

13 Natalie @ Free Range Human August 7, 2013 at 11:37 am

Those mini quiches look fantastic. I love cute little snacks like that. Any chance we can get the recipe?
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Mother Nature Wins!

14 Caitie @ twentytwofit August 7, 2013 at 11:43 am

Congrats on a successful first outing!

….and on an unrelated note, I no longer buy trail mix because I can easily eat the WHOLE bag. That stuff is too good ;)
Caitie @ twentytwofit recently posted..Rosemary Sweet Potato Wedges

15 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 7, 2013 at 11:45 am

So happy that the first out together went well! I adore the picture of him sleeping on the ground, such a little cutie.
I think I need to go on a hunt for those Alexia tater tots. I’ve seen the sweet potato fries, but the tater tots would be pretty perfect. And can’t go wrong with ice cream ;-)
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW: Eating With the Parents.

16 Whitney August 7, 2013 at 11:49 am

I know you aren’t going to document about losing the baby weight on the blog but I was curious if you had plans to reign in your diet or just let it be. Do you have any goals for getting your body back? You don’t have to respond if you don’t feel comfortable, but I was JW! Congrats on the perfect little man! :)

17 Courtney August 7, 2013 at 4:39 pm

No, I have no plans and no goals right now. My main focus is on my little man and just being able to eat whatever I quickly have access to. I’m sure once we start to get more of a routine down, I’ll be able to spend more time on healthy meals.

18 Brianne August 7, 2013 at 9:22 pm

I think your doing awesome. :) Nursing hunger is something else!

19 krissi August 8, 2013 at 9:37 pm

As a new mom, even if you do NO exercise at all, but care for a newborn (plus just living -showering, cooking, thinking mentally…and as a very young woman…) you need a TON of calories…don’t even think about cutting back. If anything you need more — trust me: your body and metabolism need it. You’ll be swell. And I eat ice cream EVERY night (and more than just a “couple” scoops :)

20 Ashley @ Life and Fitness August 7, 2013 at 11:51 am

Congrats on a successful trip out! I’m sure I would be super stressed and nervous to head out on my own for the first time.
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..Homemade Iced Coffee

21 Miranda @ Miranda Runs August 7, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I love the Target brand trail mixes!! They’re definitely the best. The “Black and White” trail mix is SO so good. Wooohooo for a successful shopping trip! :)
Miranda @ Miranda Runs recently posted..WIAW 8/7- indecisive as it gets

22 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl August 7, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Too bad lunch wasn’t too great…. I hate when that happens. Glad you had a successful day out. It is amazing how much longer it takes to do everything with a little one in tow!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..What I Ate on my Birthday!

23 Heather@WPSiteCare August 7, 2013 at 12:04 pm

The first trip out is a huge milestone! Congrats :)

24 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog August 7, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Lucas is SO precious and tiny. I love his little booties (or are they socks?) And orange is his color…or perhaps he looks cute in everything? Great that people are making you food – one less thing you need to worry about so you can enjoy the first days of motherhood.

Oh, and I’m a mini quiche fan too (though I call them egg muffins haha)
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..WIAW: Shameless Reality TV

25 Lauren August 7, 2013 at 12:16 pm

YES for the first trip out! Many more to come, I hope! Mommys need to get fresh air, too! And I think ice cream is a must-do during the summer. It almost feels like an obligation because the summer comes and goes too quickly! Then, it’s time for hot cocoa and popcorn on chillier nights!

26 Annette@FitnessPerks August 7, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Yay for an uneventful first trip out! I love that he was still snoozin’ away when you got home. TOO cute!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..For Two Fitness® {Ambassador} + Friend Lunch

27 Ashlee@HisnHers August 7, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Oh my goodness he looks so tiny! You’re eating really well for a brand new momma!

28 Haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine August 7, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I love Archer Farms trail mixes! i really want to get my hands on the Pb and J mix. Have you seen it? It looks so yum.

29 Danica @ It's Progression August 7, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Love that your friends and family are helping with meals, and yay for a successful trip out! That’s so cute that he was still sleeping even after you were home too :)
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Summer means Smoothies and Salads: WIAW

30 Leigha @ Minougirl August 7, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I am jealous of dinner! I’ve been CRAVING burgers lately! I’m glad the grocery store went well :)
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..Lake Antoine Classic 15k

31 Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 7, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I spy tiny baby socks on the table! Seriously the cutest thing ever… Okay, that title goes to little Lucas, but what is it about tiny baby clothing that is just so adorable? Glad to hear that you guys are adjusting so well and that your friends and family are helping you out :D
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... WIAW … hungry or bored? .

32 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl August 7, 2013 at 12:56 pm

A mini donut muffin? That sounds so cute! And don’t you just love tator tots? They totally take me back to my childhood.
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..WIAW: August 7, 2013

33 Elizabeth @ my neon running shoes August 7, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Congrats on a successful first outing!!!
Elizabeth @ my neon running shoes recently posted..Personal shoppers and loaded baked potato dip

34 Sarah @ Sweet Miles August 7, 2013 at 1:00 pm

He is such a precious little peach! Congrats on a successful outing! I think I would be super nervous to fly solo for the first time, but looks like mama AND baby handled it like champs :)
Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted..Day 3 & Pinnacle Mountain

35 Taren August 7, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Awww you’re doing great! Glad you’re getting out of the house right away, so good for you! I only have nephews but my friends that have kids say it’s necessary to keep your sanity!

36 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun August 7, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Congrats on your first duo outing!! Looks like you have some good food in the house! I love seeing pictures of your little man – he is so adorable!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Mile Repeat Workout

37 Melissa August 7, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Glad to see you and Lucas are doing well! He sure is adorable!
Melissa recently posted..GIVEAWAY WINNERS Revealed: Did YOU win?!

38 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 7, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Yay for making it out the door yesterday! That’s great news – I’m sure it’ll get easier as you get used to it. I think it’s so important that new moms get out of the house by themselves with the baby(ies). I’m planning on doing the same, even if it takes TWO hours to get out. ;)

39 Lauren August 7, 2013 at 2:54 pm

trail mix is always dangerous, especially when there’s M&Ms in the mix

your dinner is making me seriously crave tater tots! Yummm
Lauren recently posted..Bea’s Bran Muffins

40 Tara@PNWRunner August 7, 2013 at 4:24 pm

That is great that you two were able to get out and about with little trouble! Id be a nervous wreck I am sure.

41 Jessica @ Prayers and Apples August 7, 2013 at 5:45 pm

That mini quiche looks so good! …It seems like you’re falling right into motherhood so naturally! :)
Jessica @ Prayers and Apples recently posted..Real Food Meets Real Science

42 Julie @ Food Fitness & Happiness August 7, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Baby Lucas is so so cute! Congrats again! You’re so lucky and blessed to have such wonderful people around you that bring you meals :) I guess cooking is not the #1 priority with a newborn in the house!

43 Melanie @ Just Some Salt and Pepper August 7, 2013 at 7:57 pm

I’m a big believer that all days should end with ice cream. Your little guy is absolutely adorable!!
Melanie @ Just Some Salt and Pepper recently posted..Whole Wheat Cinnamon Spice Sweet Potato Muffins

44 Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves August 7, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Congrats on your first duo trip! Lucas is an awesome little trooper–so cute!
I’ve also been having quite the variety of desserts more days than not these past couple weeks. Whatcha gonna do when the sweet tooth calls? ;)
Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted..WIAW: Florida and Atlantic City

45 Sarah @ A Refining Adventure August 9, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Lucas is so tiny and cute! I know you’re relieved to have your first outing in the books…and even better that it went so smoothly. You seem to be adjusting so well and doing great at the whole mommy-hood thing! So happy for you!
Sarah @ A Refining Adventure recently posted..Fun Facts Friday {8/9/13}

46 Nala August 13, 2013 at 9:50 am

Congratulations on your first duo trip! It’s nice that Lucas was sleeping most of the time =) He is TOO cute =) It was also great to read your WIAW posts, I kinda missed them. And I agree Trail mix and (for me – nuts) is dangerous stuff!

47 Trisha August 15, 2013 at 4:29 pm

I’m so behind on my blog reading these days, but now that I’m all caught up on all things baby Lucas, I just wanted to send out a super huge congratulations to you! He is perfectly precious, and the simple, baby-filled days you explain sound absolutely wonderful. Enjoy your time together!
Trisha recently posted..I Could Lift You Up