Easy Lemon Bars

by Courtney on April 22, 2014

Whew, was yesterday a long one!

Work was fine, thankfully, so that was like any ordinary day. But as soon as my work day was over, I was off to pick up the little man…and then it was go, go, go!

photo

Jay had to work late yesterday, so I was flying solo for the evening…meaning, no relaxation for mama! I’ll tell ya…this child is constantly on the go. If he’s not crawling to get the vacuum (obsessed with it) or my deodorant out of my bin in the bathroom (also oddly obsessed with it), he’s going after Cody’s food, giving his reflection kisses on the dishwasher, or trying to pull up on anything he can get his hands on.

So between chasing after him, attempting to give him dinner (he currently has little patience for spoon feeding and wants to pick up everything), putting him to bed, then taking care of the dishes/lunches/clean up/bottles/etc., I was pooped!

(As a quick side note, I want to send out some major props to the moms and dads out there who do the solo parenting thing on the regular. You guys are amazing. Seriously.)

It wasn’t until about 8:30pm last night when I finally got a chance to sit down and have something for dinner (minus the random bites of Lucas’s dinner leftovers and Easter candy that I found myself snacking on throughout the evening). I had zero energy left to make anything special and/or containing veggies, so that meant one thing. Cereal, baby.

cereal

Sometimes, it’s just the best option. In my opinion. ;)

But back to the subject of this post…

lemon bars

I said yesterday that I’d work on getting the recipe together for lemon bars that I made for Easter, and here you go!

lemon bars

They really were ridiculously easy to make and are just perfect for spring. I altered the original recipe a bit so that they had more lemon filling in them because, personally, I think that’s the best part. If you’re interested, feel free to give ‘em a try!

Easy Lemon Bars

(lightly adapted from this recipe)

• Prep Time: ~10 minutes
  • Bake Time: 35 minutes total
  • Servings: approx 36 triangles

Ingredients:

• 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 6 eggs
  • 2-1/4 cups white sugar
  • 1/4 + 1/8 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 4 lemons, juiced
  • zest from 2 lemons
  • confectioner’s sugar, for dusting

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a medium bowl, blend together softened butter, 1/2 cup sugar, and 2 cups flour. Press into the bottom of an ungreased 9×13″ pan.
  3. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until firm and golden.
  4. In another bowl, whisk together the remaining 2-1/4 cups sugar, 1/4 + 1/8 cup flour and salt. Whisk in the eggs and lemon juice. Pour over baked crust.
  5. Bake for an additional 20 minutes. The bars will firm up as the cool. Dust with confectioner’s sugar (I put a couple of tablespoons in a metal strainer and sifted it over the top). Cut into triangles and enjoy!

1 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat April 22, 2014 at 10:10 am

Just need to buy some lemons and then I have all the ingredients to make these! Can’t wait!!!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..My New Favorite Drink

2 Lauryn April 22, 2014 at 10:16 am

I completely agree with you about the single parent thing! Mad props to them! I also have a Lucas and he is 4 months old and not even on the go yet! I can’t imagine trying to chase him around and try to accomplish anything around the the house or eat for that matter!

Those bars look delicious and I will have to try them!

3 Brynn April 22, 2014 at 10:23 am

I love lemon bars, they’re such a light treat for the spring and summer. Oddly enough, I love the powdered sugar on the top the best!
Brynn recently posted..Easter Weekend Recap

4 Britt@MyOwnBalance April 22, 2014 at 10:29 am

Oh man! Running after a little one all day is a workout in and of itself! Cereal is not a bad option at all. I sometimes eat chips, salsa and guacamole for dinner, which is so bad!
Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted..Body by Simone

5 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries April 22, 2014 at 10:46 am

Cereal for dinner just has to happen every once in awhile. When I was a kid, those were some of my favorite dinners! ;) I’d be lying if I said I didn’t still love them. Easy all around and who doesn’t love cereal?!

Mmmm I LOVE lemon bars! We had a lemon bundt cake for Easter, and it made me think of lemon bars and how much I love them. Typically I’m a chocolate gal through and through, but lemon desserts are the exception.
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Healthy Living Questionnaire

6 Lyric April 22, 2014 at 11:24 am

Omg I haven’t had lemon bars in forever! Thank you for reminding me how delicious they are :P

7 Jess @dearhealthyness April 22, 2014 at 11:26 am

My mom was a single parent and she rocks!!!! In fact she is the best ;)!!
I’m craving those lemon bars!!
Jess @dearhealthyness recently posted..Priorities

8 Marielle April 22, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Those lemon bars look so yummy! Can’t wait to try them out!
Marielle recently posted..An Easter Weekend

9 Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit April 22, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Cereal never fills me up, so I never eat it, but man is it good!
Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit recently posted..F2BF Food + Fitness

10 Amy April 22, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Hello Courtney,
Thank you so much for posting this recipe for the Lemon Bars! I’m going to make these! (I was the gal who asked you to post the recipe yesterday, so thank you!!)

P.S. I TOTALLY love whenever you update us about Lucas everyday! He’s such a cutie and it’s really neat to “watch” him (from a reader’s eyes, of course) grow up!

~Amy :-)

11 Morgan April 22, 2014 at 2:38 pm

these look amazing! now if I could only convince the hubs to fix our oven.. this may just push him to do it! ;]
Morgan recently posted..Tell us the good parts.

12 Shel@PeachyPalate April 22, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Hope you managed to get some me time today!!! When I’m in a pickle for dinner I go for scrambled or fried eggs, though I’ve learned my lesson and nearly always have some leftovers lingering in the fridge; the joy of not having to cook!

13 Hilary April 22, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Cereal for dinner is a must :) Nothing beats brenner!
Hilary recently posted..Treat Yourself Tuesday: Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

14 Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats April 22, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Yummm my mom makes a version of these and they were one of my favorite desserts growing up. So perfect for Spring and Summer! Hope today was a little less crazy!!
Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats recently posted..Highlights from Easter Weekend

15 Polly @ Tasty Food Project April 22, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Looks yummy! I think I also have all the ingredients to make these!
Polly @ Tasty Food Project recently posted..Berry Chia Pudding

16 Leigha @ Minougirl April 22, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Looks so yummy!! Sometimes you just gotta use that white sugar and all purpose flour :)
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..Easter Weekend 2014

17 Linz @ Itz Linz April 22, 2014 at 7:43 pm

wow this recipe does look easy! and i love lemon bars!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..My First Week of Breastfeeding

18 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 22, 2014 at 8:13 pm

I love lemon bars, but I have never made them myself–I’ll have to try this!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Currently…

19 Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! April 22, 2014 at 9:10 pm

I always love lemon bars, but have never tried to make them myself. this recipe looks totally doable! Thanks for sharing
Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! recently posted..Pregnancy Friendly Beauty Routine

20 Danica @ It's Progression April 22, 2014 at 10:30 pm

I’ve never made lemon bars before but I’m pretty sure I’d love them – I’ve been obsessed with drinking lemon water lately AND using lemon essential oils.
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..NuttZo {giveaway!}

21 Tara@PNWRunner April 23, 2014 at 12:01 am

I’ve never made lemon bars before only because I never had a good recipe. Now I do! Thank you for sharing!

22 Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers April 23, 2014 at 7:36 am

Working, chasing a baby, blogging, and still having time to create new recipes – you’re my hero! haha These sound fabulous.
Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers recently posted..Fruity WIAW & Power Bowl

23 Haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine April 23, 2014 at 8:40 am

Ohhh yum!! I’m loving all things lemon right now. I recently made a batch of baked Lemonade donuts and now I can’t get enough of anything lemon. Can’t wait to try these out!!

24 Courtney April 23, 2014 at 9:58 am