More Yoga, Please

by Courtney on June 10, 2014

Yesterday morning, I got up around 5:30am and slowly managed to roll into my workout clothes. Not quite sure what I was going to do for a workout, I shuffled out to the living room to do a quick browse of my collection of DVD’s. The fact that I even managed to get up without already having a workout planned was a victory itself. Typically, no plan = excuse to hit the alarm. But I’m tellin’ you guys…I’m on a roll the past couple of weeks!

So back to yesterday…I realized shortly after getting out into the living room that I ended up forgetting to put on socks and sneakers. Seriously, I’m not kidding. And being too lazy to make the short walk back down the hallway to my bedroom to get them, I decided I’d switch things up a bit and do some yoga.

I wound up doing this yoga DVD which I had honestly completely forgot I owned. In fact, I kinda forgot about a whole lot of stuff when it comes to yoga. Mainly, how sore I’d be the next day. Wowwww.

After finishing yesterday’s impromptu yoga session, I was surprised at just how good I felt. No, I didn’t work up too much of a sweat, but I just felt…good. So much so, that I’ve decided to make an attempt to incorporate it into my weekly workouts a bit more regularly.

Remember when I did the June Yoga Challenge a couple of years ago?

(Was it seriously 2 years ago already?!)

Well, I’m taking the challenge myself once again! Granted, it’s already the 10th of June, so it’s not really a monthly challenge, per se. It’s more of a “friendly reminder” for me to keep at it a bit more. My goal right now is just once a week (I’ve been getting about 4-5 workouts in per week) and I think that’ll be plenty for me.

But in addition to that, I’m also hoping to try out a new yoga class somewhere this month, as part of my partnership with Propel! Last month I faced a fitness fear. For the month of June, as part of their Add Flavor Challenge, I’ve been challenged to try a new or different workout with a friend. And right now, since I do have a few “yogi” friends (as well as a few others who are interested in a little extra yoga themselves), I’m really hoping to try out a new class once again.

Long, LONG time readers may remember that I first tried hot yoga back in 2010.

I really did enjoy it, but it’s something that just never stuck (plus the studio was just too far away for it to become a regular thing).

So we’ll see where this month takes me, both with adding more yoga to my life AND with attempting a new class with a friend. If anyone else is interested in joining in with me this month on a little extra yoga, I’d love to hear about it! I’m not hosting another formal challenge, but I’ll be checking in with updates and, of course, would love to hear from anyone who’s thinking about doing it, too.

Disclaimer: This post is part of my partnership with Propel. All opinions, as always, are my own.

1 karleen June 10, 2014 at 10:55 am

Ugh, yoga is so good for you but I NEVER do it! I hate stretching more than any other workout so it’s always been tough for me to fit it in. I have a 20-30min yoga dvd that I’d like to try to do 2x per week. That’s my June goal:)

2 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat June 10, 2014 at 11:07 am

I’m a huge fan of yoga! I really started getting into it again ever since I became pregnant. I’ve been doing pre-natal yoga at least once a week and boy does it make a difference to stretch out those tight muscles. I’m definitely loving it now more than ever!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..18 Weeks – Small Meals

3 Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run June 10, 2014 at 11:23 am

I need/want more yoga in my life, too. Props for getting up early for a workout!

4 Britt@MyOwnBalance June 10, 2014 at 11:45 am

I love love love yoga! I’ve been using my YogaGlo membership to do it online from home!
Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted..It’s a . . .

5 Brynn June 10, 2014 at 11:56 am

At six months pregnant, I have been LOVING yoga. I have been practicing for the last seven years one to two times a week. But getting in a good stretch with this growing baby may be the best it has ever felt!
Brynn recently posted..My Farmers Market Trip and Tips

6 Linz @ Itz Linz June 10, 2014 at 11:56 am

thanks for the reminder! i definitely want / need to get back into yoga! i should actually find a mom and baby yoga class – have you done one of those before?
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..2 month old baby William

7 Courtney June 10, 2014 at 12:35 pm

I haven’t! I had thought about it before but Lucas has always been so squirmy that I never thought he’d make it through a class lol…

8 Tessa June 10, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Hi Courtney, I am actually moving to the Albany area in August. I love working out so I am hoping to find a great gym to join, as well as good running routes! I also looove yoga, so if you come across studios you like (or even if your friends have recommendations?), I would love to hear about them!

9 Courtney June 10, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Oh, how fun!! I’ll definitely be sure to share if I find any good ones! Welcome (almost) to Albany! :)

10 Marielle June 10, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Every time I go to Yoga I tell myself I need to go more regularly, and then it doesn’t happen :( I live walking distance to a barre studio, so that’s usually what I end up doing. Maybe I’ll see if I can convince a friend to go to a class with me this month! :)
Marielle recently posted..My Summer Loves

11 Julia June 10, 2014 at 12:20 pm

This post really hits home. I’ve been running a lot & finally tried a 10 Lb Slim Down workout on you tube (loved it) yesterday. But I’m so sore today that I’m thinking yoga is exactly what I need! I love it but forget to do it, so I’m trying to incorporate it more too. Good luck to you!

12 Courtney June 10, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Oh my gosh, aren’t the 10lb Slimdown workouts the BEST?! They’re seriously some of my favorites! Both the regular 20 minute videos and the “xtreme” 40 minute ones!

13 Shawna June 10, 2014 at 12:27 pm

i managed to get myself to a yoga class last week for the first time…like, ever. i really enjoyed it and it wasn’t as daunting or hard as i expected, but definitely worked me into a sweat and my runner’s legs needed that stretching like whoa! i intend to do it more often.

14 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles June 10, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Yoga has seriously been my saving grace lately – definitely my current workout of choice! I love how awesome I feel after. I actually just signed up for a small yoga class – 16 classes with only 4 people. I’m excited to see how much progress I can make with so much individualized instruction!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..I’m Alive!

15 Nicole June 10, 2014 at 1:30 pm

It seems like a lot of people are incorporating more yoga into their workout routines. Great idea! I’m one of them. Trying to fit in daily stretching/strengthening poses.
Nicole recently posted..Meet Tucker #2

16 Polly @ Tasty Food Project June 10, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Good job on taking on the yoga challenge! I love hot yoga! It is so calming and relaxing!
Polly @ Tasty Food Project recently posted..Trying New Things + Coconut Cashew Butter

17 Sarah @ Sarah Sincerely June 10, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Wow! I can’t believe that was 2 years ago either! I always love throwing new things into the routine. I tend to get on workout kicks and repetitively do the same things, but I get bored easily and have learned that I’ve got to switch it up. I LOVE pilates, but never really jumped onto the yoga train. Maybe this is the time…
Sarah @ Sarah Sincerely recently posted..Take Better Care of Yourself

18 Shel@PeachyPalate June 10, 2014 at 3:16 pm

The last time you took up a yoga challenge you were trying to get pregnant…am I the only to ask : )

19 Nancy June 10, 2014 at 4:56 pm

I’ve been doing regularly (3+ times a week) for the last number of weeks, and the only reason I’m sticking with it (because I find it to hippy-ish) is because my limbs, muscles and even my hips feel incredible after a yoga “session?”. I love it.
Nancy recently posted..Fitness Recap: Crushin V2′s and 3′s

20 Haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine June 10, 2014 at 5:16 pm

YES! I neeeed to bring yoga back into my life. It is so fantastic and makes me feel like I have so much more energy!

21 Renee @ Bendiful Blog June 10, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Yoga rocks. I’m in my very own yoga rut right now as well. I’m obsessed with head and handstands. I’ve actually started doing yoga daily with the Dailyburn.com it’s online videos. and I try to get to 2 or 3 studio classes a week. They are actually pretty good and I like that everyday is different. So far so good. Good luck Court!
Renee @ Bendiful Blog recently posted..Bring on the Action

22 Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse June 10, 2014 at 9:23 pm

I have never really been into yoga consistently, but I love it every time that I do it! Way to go for making it a weekly goal for the month!