More Yoga, Please

Yesterday morning, I got up around 5:30am and slowly managed to roll into my workout clothes. Not quite sure what I was going to do for a workout, I shuffled out to the living room to do a quick browse of my collection of DVD’s. The fact that I even managed to get up without already having a workout planned was a victory itself. Typically, no plan = excuse to hit the alarm. But I’m tellin’ you guys…I’m on a roll the past couple of weeks!

So back to yesterday…I realized shortly after getting out into the living room that I ended up forgetting to put on socks and sneakers. Seriously, I’m not kidding. And being too lazy to make the short walk back down the hallway to my bedroom to get them, I decided I’d switch things up a bit and do some yoga.

I wound up doing this yoga DVD which I had honestly completely forgot I owned. In fact, I kinda forgot about a whole lot of stuff when it comes to yoga. Mainly, how sore I’d be the next day. Wowwww.

After finishing yesterday’s impromptu yoga session, I was surprised at just how good I felt. No, I didn’t work up too much of a sweat, but I just felt…good. So much so, that I’ve decided to make an attempt to incorporate it into my weekly workouts a bit more regularly.

Remember when I did the June Yoga Challenge a couple of years ago?

(Was it seriously 2 years ago already?!)

Well, I’m taking the challenge myself once again! Granted, it’s already the 10th of June, so it’s not really a monthly challenge, per se. It’s more of a “friendly reminder” for me to keep at it a bit more. My goal right now is just once a week (I’ve been getting about 4-5 workouts in per week) and I think that’ll be plenty for me.

But in addition to that, I’m also hoping to try out a new yoga class somewhere this month, as part of my partnership with Propel! Last month I faced a fitness fear. For the month of June, as part of their Add Flavor Challenge, I’ve been challenged to try a new or different workout with a friend. And right now, since I do have a few “yogi” friends (as well as a few others who are interested in a little extra yoga themselves), I’m really hoping to try out a new class once again.

Long, LONG time readers may remember that I first tried hot yoga back in 2010.

I really did enjoy it, but it’s something that just never stuck (plus the studio was just too far away for it to become a regular thing).

So we’ll see where this month takes me, both with adding more yoga to my life AND with attempting a new class with a friend. If anyone else is interested in joining in with me this month on a little extra yoga, I’d love to hear about it! I’m not hosting another formal challenge, but I’ll be checking in with updates and, of course, would love to hear from anyone who’s thinking about doing it, too.

Disclaimer: This post is part of my partnership with Propel. All opinions, as always, are my own.

1. karleen says

Ugh, yoga is so good for you but I NEVER do it! I hate stretching more than any other workout so it’s always been tough for me to fit it in. I have a 20-30min yoga dvd that I’d like to try to do 2x per week. That’s my June goal:)

I’m a huge fan of yoga! I really started getting into it again ever since I became pregnant. I’ve been doing pre-natal yoga at least once a week and boy does it make a difference to stretch out those tight muscles. I’m definitely loving it now more than ever!
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..18 Weeks – Small Meals

• Courtney says

I haven’t! I had thought about it before but Lucas has always been so squirmy that I never thought he’d make it through a class lol…

3. Tessa says

Hi Courtney, I am actually moving to the Albany area in August. I love working out so I am hoping to find a great gym to join, as well as good running routes! I also looove yoga, so if you come across studios you like (or even if your friends have recommendations?), I would love to hear about them!

Every time I go to Yoga I tell myself I need to go more regularly, and then it doesn’t happen :( I live walking distance to a barre studio, so that’s usually what I end up doing. Maybe I’ll see if I can convince a friend to go to a class with me this month! :)
    Marielle recently posted..My Summer Loves

5. Julia says

This post really hits home. I’ve been running a lot & finally tried a 10 Lb Slim Down workout on you tube (loved it) yesterday. But I’m so sore today that I’m thinking yoga is exactly what I need! I love it but forget to do it, so I’m trying to incorporate it more too. Good luck to you!

• Courtney says

Oh my gosh, aren’t the 10lb Slimdown workouts the BEST?! They’re seriously some of my favorites! Both the regular 20 minute videos and the “xtreme” 40 minute ones!

i managed to get myself to a yoga class last week for the first time…like, ever. i really enjoyed it and it wasn’t as daunting or hard as i expected, but definitely worked me into a sweat and my runner’s legs needed that stretching like whoa! i intend to do it more often.

Yoga has seriously been my saving grace lately – definitely my current workout of choice! I love how awesome I feel after. I actually just signed up for a small yoga class – 16 classes with only 4 people. I’m excited to see how much progress I can make with so much individualized instruction!
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..I’m Alive!

It seems like a lot of people are incorporating more yoga into their workout routines. Great idea! I’m one of them. Trying to fit in daily stretching/strengthening poses.
    Nicole recently posted..Meet Tucker #2

Wow! I can’t believe that was 2 years ago either! I always love throwing new things into the routine. I tend to get on workout kicks and repetitively do the same things, but I get bored easily and have learned that I’ve got to switch it up. I LOVE pilates, but never really jumped onto the yoga train. Maybe this is the time…
    Sarah @ Sarah Sincerely recently posted..Take Better Care of Yourself

Yoga rocks. I’m in my very own yoga rut right now as well. I’m obsessed with head and handstands. I’ve actually started doing yoga daily with the it’s online videos. and I try to get to 2 or 3 studio classes a week. They are actually pretty good and I like that everyday is different. So far so good. Good luck Court!
    Renee @ Bendiful Blog recently posted..Bring on the Action