Well, file this one under the “completely forgot to share this post with you, like, five months ago” category.
Okay, maybe it wasn’t that long, but I’m fairly positive it was easily 3-4 months ago when I first made this recipe, and as I was skimming through some of my older draft posts yesterday evening, I found this one and thought “Now wait a second…did I really never post this??” Turns out, I didn’t. Until now.
And honestly, I’m so glad that I DID come across, because now it’s finally all coming back to me…this recipe was flippin’ delicious. We had it for dinner once or twice, I ate a TON of it for leftovers for lunch, and I’m pretty sure we even got Lucas to try it a few times as well (it makes a LOT). It was a winner for the whole family, and one that I think would still be perfect into the spring and summer.
Above all else, I really just felt downright healthy after eating it. I mean, it’s full of all sorts of good-for-ya stuff, so how can you NOT feel good about eating it?
I will say…the pictures really don’t do this recipe justice, since I still have yet to figure out how to photograph and stew and/or soup to look more appetizing. But I promise, it’s good. Really, really good. And it pairs perfect with bread too because, well…bread. <3
Chicken Quinoa and Butternut Squash Stew
(adapted from this recipe)
- 1 1/2 lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeded & chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2-3 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 can (14 oz) petite diced tomatoes
- 2/3 cup uncooked quinoa
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Steam the butternut squash until barely tender, about 10 minutes. Remove half of the squash pieces and set aside. Steam the remaining squash until very tender, an additional 4 to 6 minutes. Mash this squash with the back of a fork. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan set over medium-high heat, bring the chicken broth to a simmer. Add chicken thighs, cover, and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Transfer the chicken thighs to a plate and allow to cool. Pour broth into a medium-sized bowl.
- Return the saucepan to the stovetop and lower heat to medium. Add olive oil, then onion, and cook until onion is starting to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the salt, minced garlic and oregano. Cook, stirring, for 1 additional minute.
- To the saucepan, add tomatoes, butternut squash pieces, mashed butternut squash and stir to combine. Add in reserved chicken broth and quinoa. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until the quinoa turns translucent, about 15 minutes.
- Shred the chicken with your fingers or a fork. Stir the chicken and pepper into the stew and simmer, uncovered, to heat, about 5 minutes. Enjoy!
Do you have any favorite stew recipes? If so, feel free to share ‘em below!