Well, it looks like we have some catching up to do, doesn’t it?! I truly do miss ‘chatting’ with you all more often, and I hope you’ve all been staying well <3 Let’s get right into it, I’ve got a bunch to fill you guys in on so I’ll break it up into some larger categories.
WORK & SCHOOL
1. I’m still working from home over here (so is Jay) and I honestly have no idea if/when I’ll be back in our office anytime soon. Our company was fortunate enough to really manage the working-from-home situation quite well, so it doesn’t seem like they’re in any rush to bring us all back in.
I’ve become quite accustomed to the minimal makeup + working in my cozies everyday routine, so while I do miss certain aspects of being back in the office (other human adults!) I definitely cannot complain.
My sweatshirt is from American Eagle and I am obsessed with it! Size down, it runs large (I ordered a small).
2. The boys have now officially finished up school for the year, and while I appreciated having that as part of a routine for us for a few months, I can now say thank GOODNESS for a break from remote learning! Lucas actually finished about a week and a half earlier than usual, since they didn’t have an official “spring break” in April like they usually do. His teacher was seriously the absolute sweetest, and came by for one last “see you soon” visit on their last day of school.
Alex’s remote learning finished last week, and officially ended on Wednesday with a sweet little “moving up” ceremony at preschool. I really appreciated the fact that his teachers worked so hard to still be able to give them their little ceremony, and it was a great way to wrap things up and say ‘congrats!’
3. Now that school is done, we’ve been able to piecemeal a bit of a daycare routine over the summer, which will help us out tremendously while working from home. Between part time daycare and both of our moms able to help out, we should be in pretty good shape. Plus, being able to give them a change of scenery really makes a huge difference, too!
4. Alex turned 4 years old this month!
So crazy to think that my baby is already 4…sometimes, it seems like it was just yesterday when he arrived into this world. Between some smaller celebrations with family, daycare friends, and neighbors, I think it’s safe to say that Alex really had a great birthday!
5. We also celebrated my mom’s birthday yesterday!
Oh yeah, in case you didn’t recognize her, yep, that’s her right there! Doesn’t she look just incredible?!
The boys helped her make the cake earlier in the week while they were over visiting one day, and I must say, the three of them do good work because that cake was deeeeeLISH.
6. I’ve still been keeping up a fairly decent fitness routine the past couple of months, and I swear, my love for strength training grows stronger everyday. My routines consist of a mix of HIIT and strength training videos, mostly from Fitness Blender and Peleton (I’ve been utilizing their 3 month free trial), and I’m averaging about 2 HIIT days and 3-4 strength days per week. I’ve been able to up my PR’s for a few different exercises, but I’m also going to need some new dumbbells soon because the highest we own are 35s!
7. My favorite gym, ANATOMIE, has been doing an amazing job with offering virtual classes during this quarantine, and just recently started to offer some outdoor, socially distanced classes. I’ve only made it to one so far, but it felt SO good to be back in person.
8. I’ve taken very few photos of food over the past month, but I can tell you that it’s all been a whole lotta the usual suspects. I’ve been loving eggs for breakfast, and typically a big salad or wrap for lunch.
Dinners are usually quick and easy, with lots of grilling and crockpot recipes. I’d say my alcohol consumption has decreased somewhat slightly since the beginning of this whole fiasco, with an attempt to try and save them for weekends. Buuut, you know, sometimes when it’s just been a DAY and the weather is right, a nice cold one really does the trick.
9. There have also been plenty of sweet treats to go around, including birthday cake and this insaaaanely good cookie dough ice cream sundae that I snagged a couple of weeks ago with a few of my favorite girls.
*This section varies from fun and uplifting to much more sad, so forgive me for the awkward transition from one to the other.
10. I’ve made a few fun little purchases here and there over the past few weeks/months (think Amazon finds, loungewear, skincare, etc.), and I was actually thinking the other day that I should share them with you all! SO, be on the lookout for that hopefully next week.
11. The nail salons in our area finally opened up last week (as part of our phase 3 reopening here in our region of NY) and I was so excited to get back to a fresh set. I went with a slightly different color from my usual, but if we’re being honest here, it’s pretty darn similar.
Still, I love it.
12. Unfortunately, we did have a bit of incredibly sad news this month. As you may have already seen on Instagram, I am so sad to say that we had to put down our beloved Cody.
Those of you who have been reading here since the ‘early days’ (10 years ago!!) know that Cody was like a first baby to us, who stumbled into our backyard almost 11 years ago. Many of you still remembered his days of playing fetch with the milk jug tabs(!), and he really was just SUCH a great cat. So calm, forgiving, and so, SO good with the boys.
Breaking the news to the boys was one of the hardest things we’ve ever had to do, and we all cried a lot of tears. I knew I’d be sad saying goodbye when the time came, but I honestly didn’t expect it to be THAT hard.
So on his final day, we all gave him lots of lovin’ and plenty of head “scratchies” because they were his favorite. We let him have one last romp around the backyard (because he was ALWAYS trying to escape outside!) and I’d like to think that made him happy.
We keep a lookout for him now when we’re outside, since Alex reminded us that Cody would now be a butterfly like Papa T (we call white butterflies that we see “Papa T’s spirit” checking on us), and we’ve already seen both of them plenty of times now.
So even though it’s nothing like a real Cody snuggle, the boys have found comfort in the fact that they think he’s still here with us. <3
Well, I think that catches you up on just about everything that’s been happening. I miss you guys, and the regularity of this space, and hope to find some time one of these days to get back more often. So for now, I’ll wish you all an official ‘Happy Summer!’ and I’ll…
See ya when I see ya. ; )