IDEA World Fitness Convention – Day 2

by Courtney on August 19, 2014

Alright, let’s start back where we left off with the IDEA World Fitness Convention! I crashed hard Thursday night, that’s for sure. On Friday morning, I got up fairly early, showered, and ordered room service because, well, why not?

breakfast room service

Let me tell you, if I could have oatmeal made like this for me on the reg, I would eat this stuff every single morning. (Okay, maybe not every single morning, but you get my drift).

Shortly after breakfast, I met back up with some of the gals so we could catch a few of the morning sessions at BlogFest once again.

blogfest

The first session was done by the ever popular and super sweet Cassey Ho from Blogilates. She had some great info for bloggers who are interested in monetizing their blog, as she has clearly excelled at.

She went into some detail on the following points, but my note taking was pretty lame thanks to me forgetting the ever important paper and pen…

1. Serve – your intention should be to want to help people (crap, that’s all I got into my phone on this one…sorry guys! Gina did a much better job of recapping it!)
    2. Value – give your readers something extra. Try putting together a newsletter to help drive traffic to your site and increase your readership.
    3. Amplify – get your info out there! If video is your thing, get on YouTube! (I am not a good example of this…my videos are certainly not a highlight of my blogging skillzzz. Although, my How To Frost Cupcakes Tutorial is definitely my most-viewed video)
    4. Merchandising – start small and work your way up. What do you guys think…how about some STSL key chains for stocking stuffers this holiday season?! No? Okay, didn’t think so.

After Cassey’s presentation was the keynote address, which was given by the one and only Jillian Michaels.

jillian michaels blogfest

Honestly, before Jillian’s speech I was a fan of hers, but I wasn’t like one of those “errrrmygawddd I love her!” fans. Know what I mean? I’ve always enjoyed her workouts, I actually get pretty motivated by her “amped up” teaching/coaching style, and I never had a problem with her promoting whatever it was she wanted to promote (she actually touched on this a bit in her speech and it was quite interesting!).

Well let me tell you…after Jillian’s speech? I think I’m now one of the “errrrmygawddd I love her!” fans. She was so incredibly humble, down to earth, and just so willing to tell it like it is. In fact, I think the fact that the whole room thought an earthquake was happening as she started speaking helped break the ice a bit (*fun fact: it was not an earthquake, but there WAS an earthquake on Thursday while we were in a session. And it freaked. me. out.)

jillian michaels blogfest

But as for Jillian…she wasn’t a hard-ass like she’s typically portrayed on tv and she genuinely seemed to not only appreciate everyone that was there, but her passion for health and fitness was just captivating. Some of my favorite quotes of hers I was able to jot down in my phone as she was speaking (these are not word for word…)

• When someone is strong physically, it extends into every other facet of their lives.
  • Fitness is a tool used to help give people better lives.
  • Be aware of what you’re good at and what you’re bad at.
  • Keep an open mind. The best continuing education is to work with others in your industry.
  • Don’t be afraid to make mistakes. Fix them, learn from them, and move on.
  • With neglect will always come decay. Don’t avoid things for sake of failure.
  • Push beyond what you think you’re capable of. The goal is to find something that’s in your learning zone, but just out of reach.
  • What you give energy to GROWS!
  • When you respect yourself, you command the respect from those around you.
  • There’s a big difference between singing your own praises and thinking you’re better than someone else. But if you don’t sing your own praises, who will?

During the Q&A section of Jillian’s speech, someone also asked her about how her philosophy on fitness has changed since entering into motherhood. On this, I could not have related to any better. She explained how she’s had to get smart and efficient about her workouts; where she used to be able to spend 90 minutes in a yoga class 15 minutes away, she now needs to squeeze her weekly workouts into about (3-4) 30-minute sessions (story of my liiiiiife). She makes those 30 minutes count though, and I truly agree with her that quality ALWAYS trumps quantity. Get in, get ‘er done!

My Propel Add Flavor Challenge!

So my Add Flavor Challenge for the month of August with Propel was to spend some time shadowing a fitness professional.

IMG_7574-001

A little bit later on Friday, I met up with one of the awesome girls from Propel and she brought me to get introduced to my fitness pro – Amy Dixon! As soon as I heard I was shadowing Amy, I knew the name sounded familiar and I immediately remembered that I’d most definitely done some of her videos on FitnessGlo in the past. So cool!

amy dixon

Amy is a contributing editor for numerous fitness and lifestyle magazines, the Group Fitness Manager for Equinox Fitness Clubs in Santa Monica, a member of the Gatorade G-Series Fit team, as well as a Master Trainer for Schwinn Cycling and BOSU. Amy also stars in many critically acclaimed fitness DVD’s and online fitness programs. She has over 15 years of teaching experience, and her talents have been featured on The Today Show, ABC News, E Entertainment Television, Good Day LA, Custom Fit, Exercise TV, Your LA, Fox News, and MTV. Her classes and insights have also been reported in Women’s Health Magazine, Shape Magazine, Self Magazine, Health Magazine, Fitness Magazine, Better Homes and Gardens, Variety Magazine, In Touch Weekly, The New York Times, The Washington Post, and The Los Angeles Times.

So my shadowing started by attending one of Amy’s presentations/workouts called “Leave Em Breathless 2.” The almost 2-hour session started off with a presentation from Amy on HIIT and how effective of a workout it is (I agree – it’s one of my favorite ways to workout!). After the presentation, it was time to get our spin on…

spinning class

Yikes. Okay guys, you may or may not know this, but I’m not really the spinning type. I’ve tried it a few times in the past, and whether it was the music, the instructors, the workout itself, or just all of the above, it never really stuck for me. But I went into it with an open mind and was excited to try something new (and also of Amy’s caliber!).

Well, the workout was awesome. I worked up quite the sweat, and had a blast going through all of the different segments of the 50-minute workout. Amy was a phenomenal instructor, and kept us (well, at least me!) incredibly motivated the entire time.

Once the class was over, I had the chance to meet up with Amy, grab a couple coffees, and just talk shop. While it could have been a bit more of an interview, it ended up being much more of a double-sided discussion which I loved, and felt way more comfortable with. We each asked the other questions about our lives, what we do, what we love and hate, and why we love fitness. I’m going to be in touch with Amy a bit more soon, and be on the lookout, because I’m pretty pumped about what may be on the horizon from her!

A little while after my shadowing was over, I met back up with Julie, Gina, Heather, Monica, Katy, and Bobbi. We had originally planned on going out for dinner somewhere, but wound up deciding to just stay in the hotel and order a crap ton of room service.

room service

The seven of us just sat and chatted for a good 5-6 hours probably, just talking about anything and everything. It was seriously so, so good to catch up with some familiar faces and meet some new ones! If only we weren’t all scattered across the US…

Since Saturday was a travel day for me, it really didn’t leave me with much time for anything else, so I semi-slept in, did a little T25 workout in the hotel room (I know…doing a workout in a hotel room while I’m at a fitness conference, go figure, right?!), ordered some more room service, said my goodbyes, and was on my way back home!

(photo credit to Kasey!)

Aaaand, that’s pretty much a wrap of my super speedy weekend away! I had such a great time, and I’m honestly so, so lucky to have such wonderful opportunities like these. I feel very fortunate, and I can’t thank all of you enough for supporting this little blog of mine. In fact, I  left feeling all sorts of different feelings…something I’ll probably have to think a bit deeper on and organize my thoughts a bit more before I go spewing them all out at you. Winking smile

Okay guys, I’m outta here! Make it a great one!

Disclaimer: This post is part of my partnership with Propel. All opinions, as always, are my own.

1 Linz @ Itz Linz August 19, 2014 at 6:09 am

Ok I love your gray and white loose top in the last picture – where is it from? And that’s interesting about Jillian Michaels in real life compared to how she’s portrayed on TV – I suppose I’m not surprised since media obviously has the ability to change how people are in real life or at least make them appear that way. Sounds like an awesome weekend and really interesting sessions!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Warm Vegetable Salad Recipe | #BlakesPairing

2 Courtney August 20, 2014 at 9:23 am

Thanks, girl! It’s from Reebok but I don’t think they have it anymore… :(

3 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } August 19, 2014 at 6:35 am

Never in my life have I ordered room service!

Conference looks great – I was supposed to attend since I’m on the IDEA Advisory Board so I’m super bummed I had to miss!

4 Courtney August 20, 2014 at 9:23 am

Haha I hadn’t either, but I will say that it is pretty amazing. :)

5 Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie August 19, 2014 at 7:14 am

I wanted to go to this conference for the sole fact that Jillian Michaels was speaking! She is my girl! I love her workout videos and books. PLus, can I just have her hair and abs?
Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie recently posted..A Weekend with the Manley’s

6 Courtney August 20, 2014 at 9:22 am

Hahaha, RIGHT?!?

7 Catherine Culligan August 19, 2014 at 8:08 am

I’m a huge fan of Amy Dixon and follow her on fb. When I saw that she was at IDEA and had some Propel stuff on her fb page the other day I was wondering if you were going to cross paths with her. Such an exciting opportunity – I’m uber jealous!!

8 Courtney August 20, 2014 at 9:22 am

Oh, how funny!! Yes, she was so great!

9 Britt@MyOwnBalance August 19, 2014 at 8:49 am

Oh my gosh, I thought Jillian was amazing! She is so different in person than on TV and even her DVDs. I LOVED her speech! And she had such a great message. The earthquake thing was kind of funny!
Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted..Second Trimester Recap

10 kristin @ W [H] A T C H August 19, 2014 at 9:05 am

so many great thoughts from jillian!
kristin @ W [H] A T C H recently posted..MONDAY: ANTI BAD VIBE SHIELD

11 Brynn August 19, 2014 at 9:08 am

Did you feel like blog Fest was a good addition to the conference? Sounds like there was a ton to do, but sometimes that can be overwhelming.
Brynn recently posted..5 Reasons to Write it In

12 Courtney August 20, 2014 at 9:21 am

Well, since I’d never been before it’s tough to say. I will say that it definitely was overwhelming at times, with trying to experience, essentially, two conferences in one. I think if they had it next year as well and I went, I may try harder to split my time evenly between the two (I did mostly BlogFest this year).

13 Amanda M Perry August 19, 2014 at 9:47 am

This looks like such a fun (and informative) conference!!
Amanda M Perry recently posted..Creating Habits

14 Shel@PeachyPalate August 19, 2014 at 9:53 am

Some wise wise words from Jillian for sure! I am quite the fan…I’m not sure which training style suits or pushes me more..we have a “bob harper” style in the gym and a a guy that is more “jillian” style…one they teach classes so differently! Spin is my fav class! Endurance, strength and cardio all in one! I do it 4 times a week!

15 Sarah @ Sweet Miles August 19, 2014 at 9:59 am

I would have LOVED this! And so awesome that you got to hear Jillian speak! I am a huge fan of hers, and have enjoyed reading bloggers’ recaps of her speech!
Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted..12 Things to Take When Hiking With a Baby

16 Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire August 19, 2014 at 10:08 am

That’s so cool that you got to shadow Amy! The whole conference looked like an absolute blast. I would have absolutely loved to hear Jillian speak – she is one of the best!
Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire recently posted..A Special Birthday & Chocolate For Breakfast

17 Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona August 19, 2014 at 11:09 am

Cassey seems like such a down to earth person. While I’m not a huge Jillian Michaels fan, it sounds like she had some good things to say.

Looks like you had lots of fun at the conference.

18 Heather @ Housewife Glamour August 19, 2014 at 11:18 am

IF only we weren’t scattered across the US is right. Boo. I had SO much fun with you! Great recap – loved hearing about Amy Dixon! Hope to see you again soon! xo
Heather @ Housewife Glamour recently posted..IDEA BlogFest 2014: Day Two

19 Courtney August 20, 2014 at 9:20 am

Seriously! Let’s make that happen sooner rather than later ;)

20 Polly @ Tasty Food Project August 19, 2014 at 12:41 pm

The conference looked so fun and informative! I’m a huge Blogilates fan and think it’s so awesome that you got to meet Cassey!
Polly @ Tasty Food Project recently posted..Almond Butter Tofu Stir Fry

21 Stacey M. August 19, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Glad you had a great time at the conference, learned a lot, and had time to hang out with blog friends. That’s definitely a perk of being a healthy living blogger!

And I’d just like to say THANK YOU for blogging! Your blog is my absolute favorite, and I’ve learned so much from you over the past couple years I’ve been reading. I appreciate that you’re so willing to be open and honest with your readers, sharing not only all the *good* stuff but some of the not so good stuff as well. I’ll keep reading until you stop writing – which I hope doesn’t happen anytime soon!

22 Courtney August 20, 2014 at 9:19 am

Stacey, you are just so sweet. I’ve seen your comments here for a LONG time, so I just want to say thank YOU for following along with me. This blog wouldn’t be what it is without all of you reading, and I sincerely cannot thank you enough! xoxo :)

23 ellie | fit for the soul August 19, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Ahhh I so so wish I could have gone, it sounds like a fun and informative time! I love what Jillian said about reaching for something that is JUST a bit outside of our comfort zone. Lately I think I’ve been doing that and although it’s not the easiest ride, it’s certainly more fun and interesting. :)

24 Courtney August 20, 2014 at 9:18 am

I totally agree! Way to go, Ellie ;)

25 Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves August 19, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Oh my gosh that looks like such a blast! I was never super crazy about Jillian Michaels either, but she sounds like an awesome person. Thanks for sharing all the tidbits from each speaker with us!
Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted..This is Why I Love Working Out

26 Courtney August 20, 2014 at 9:18 am

She really was – I was totally impressed by her!

27 Megan @ Piece of Kake August 19, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Looks like a fun blog event! I’ve always loved Jillian Michael, I don’t always agree with her workout tactics but I do think she has has helped a lot of people for the better!
Megan @ Piece of Kake recently posted..Hello and P90X3

28 Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment August 19, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Very cool about Amy Dixon. Love your pink tank in the group shot. Where is it from?

29 Courtney August 20, 2014 at 9:17 am

Thanks, it’s from Reebok! http://bit.ly/1mlt9yt

30 Claudia August 19, 2014 at 11:16 pm

So delectable! That seems irresistible.
Claudia recently posted..Jak dobrać na wieczór obuwie skórzane?

31 tara Mercedes Mitchell August 20, 2014 at 12:00 am

Wow! Sounds like the IDEA convention was a marvelous experience! Thanks for the recap!
tara Mercedes Mitchell recently posted..The FITTIE Pack Review

32 Lauren August 20, 2014 at 1:41 pm

LOVE Amy Dixon workouts!! Her Breathless Body DVDS…SO good. And she is a great instructor–talks enough to keep you motivated but not throughout the whole DVD like some. SO jealous you got to meet her!!

33 Claudia August 21, 2014 at 1:49 am

So tasty! That looks impressive.
Claudia recently posted..Jak dobrać na wyjście skórzane buty?